• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear XX #Reload (pronounced Sharp)

rastex

Banned
This is my first time playing a Guilty Gear game so right now I'm just trying to figure out which characters I like. Right now I'm really gravitating towards Axl Low and Jam they're fast and do a lot of cool moves. I'm getting pretty good with Axl Low and can pull off some pretty nifty combos. I'm still a newb at the game though and haven't even started to touch the Dust stuff, the roman cancels or whatever the heck that is and pretty much everything else there is to the game.

First things first, is there anything wrong with the characters that I picked? Are they they shotos of GG, the overpowered characters, the super weak characters? Pretty much I want to know is will I have a chance with these characters, and I won't be seen as cheap?

Other than that, general GGXX#R tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Ferrio

Banned
Not totally familiar with the tiers in #R, but I'm pretty sure both of them are in the middle some where. So no, not overpowered.

As for tips, I've only played #R a couple times, so anything I could give might be changed. That and I don't play as either those 2 characters.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I play Jam, and I actually got a compliment from someone for linking two attacks together (the guy sounded honestly shocked), but as I don't remember what they're called, I wasn't exactly sure what he was talking about.
I'm not exactly a newbie, I'm just a poor player, haha. But if you're on live, my gamer tag is revenantkioku, and I play it quite frequently.

Ferrio

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I play Jam, and I actually got a compliment from someone for linking two attacks together (the guy sounded honestly shocked), but as I don't remember what they're called, I wasn't exactly sure what he was talking about.
I'm not exactly a newbie, I'm just a poor player, haha. But if you're on live, my gamer tag is revenantkioku, and I play it quite frequently.

Her kick chains naturally link together, easy as hell to do and most new players think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.... but naturally it's pretty scrubish.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ferrio said:
Her kick chains naturally link together, easy as hell to do and most new players think it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.... but naturally it's pretty scrubish.

I don't doubt it, but I did find it a little odd. Oh well, she's still fun to play. Are you on live Ferrio?

Cloudy

Banned
I remember trying both games out on ps2 but I didn't like them too much. I'm loving the value-priced game on Xbox with the new SF pad (xconnection adapter) and no ridiculous load times.

Or am I just a cheap xbot? :D

Ferrio

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
I don't doubt it, but I did find it a little odd. Oh well, she's still fun to play. Are you on live Ferrio?

No Xbox, and the talk of the input delays don't really make me wanna go out and spend ~200 dollars to play a game that'll piss me off.

Cloudy

Banned
Input delays? I dunno bout the regular xbox pad but the game is like butter on XBL with the Nubytech SF pad. I even played FMT who lives in Cali (I'm in Michigan) and it was great :p

Ferrio

Banned
Cloudy said:
Input delays? I dunno bout the regular xbox pad but the game is like butter on XBL with the Nubytech SF pad. I even played FMT who lives across the county and it was great :p

As in latency. I'm hearing bad enough reports about people on shoryuken. And since I live in alaska then there's no way in hell I'd get a good game except maybe someone in Seattle.

XS+

Banned
On-topic, are the Instant Kill attacks ignored in high-level play? I've seen plenty of GGX/X/#R matches but never noticed them used in a serious match before. I know there are easy IK setups for a couple of characters (like Sol for instance), so why not use them?

Cloudy

Banned
GG on XBL is just like playing a game offline for me unlike Capcom vs SNK was when I tried it but Alaska may be a different story :eek:

On-topic, are the Instant Kill attacks ignored in high-level play?

Is that when you're kicking some guy's ass online and he does something and you see destroyed on the screen even though your lifebar was at half! >_<

RevenantKioku

Cloudy said:
Or am I just a cheap xbot? :D
Well, yeah.

Ferrio said:
No Xbox, and the talk of the input delays don't really make me wanna go out and spend ~200 dollars to play a game that'll piss me off.

Fair enough. I don't think I would have boughten it myself if I didn't already have an xbox and bummed a 2-month code off a friend.

Ferrio

Banned
Cloudy said:
GG on XBL is just like playing a game offline for me unlike Capcom vs SNK was when I tried it but Alaska may be a different story :eek:

Is that when you're kicking some guy's ass online and he does something and you see destroyed on the screen even though your lifebar was at half! >_<

That's an extreme case. But I"m talking more like hitting a button and not seeing the attack come out instantaneously. This also leads to a game based more on luck (ie, you can't react fast enough to counterattack so you gotta guess). Though I have no idea what effects it might have on FRCs.

rastex

Banned
Ok, awesome, I'm all about the mid-tier characters that aren't very popular. Man, I've been reading a FAQ on this game and it's pretty crazy the stuff that's possible. The roman cancels add a crazy amount of depth to the system and I'm just not used to such a fast paced fighter. Hopefully I can adjust :) Definitely gonna need to follow ASM's advice and pick up a MAS soon... But I'm in Canada right now and the shipping will be ridiculous.

RevenantKioku

Hey wait, I already sent out an invite to you rastex, haha. Get your ass on live and lets rock.

Edit: Damn. Well how about you cloudy?

rastex

Banned
I can't right now, my Live is all messed up, it's gonna take me a few days. But we'll play once I get everything sorted out :)

Pachinko

I played this game on live yesterday night , I played against a guy rated excellent on the network quality thing and there was a good .1-.5 second delay. It's most noticable in the character select screen. Poor network conditions had 4 second delays.

RevenantKioku

Pachinko said:
I played this game on live yesterday night , I played against a guy rated excellent on the network quality thing and there was a good .1-.5 second delay. It's most noticable in the character select screen. Poor network conditions had 4 second delays.

I've gotten the worst lag in the select screen, but a lot of times, even if the first match is a bit laggy, the next few seem to smooth out. I don't know if I'm getting used to the lag, or if its just something.

rastex

Banned
So how integral are RCs to the game. I'm sure in high-level play they're absolutely essential, but will you get smoked without them in low-level to mid-level play? I mean, other than low-level playing you'll do pretty poorly in SF3 if you can't parry a fireball, so is it comparable to that or more important/less important?

Grifter

Not using RCs won't hurt too much on XBL as of now. Work them into your game when you're ready but learn the fundamentals and mobility of your characters first.

Been playing on XBL and having ranged overheads really help since the quicker ones are near impossible to react to online w/o straight guessing.

I play both Jam and Axl. AFAIK, Jam's lower-top tier but moving up w/her takes a good amount of work w/her lack of range and easy traps. 2S stuffs everything, her dust is the fastest, and 5K and the ki burst give her frame advantage. 6K will stand them up during combos, which is important cuz you can't hit the special kicks on a croucher.

Axl's a bit lower but more "scrubby" (but nobody's really that easy to use relative to other fighters) in that he pays off faster and has some nasty combos for no work at all. Even his harder stuff isn't too bad like bomber loops and rensengeki FRCs. Poke away w/5P, 2P, 6K, 6H will give you advantage on their wake-ups, don't over-use his weak DP, general ground combo is 2K/5K > S, H, 2D, rensengeki (later, learn to FRC the rensen into IAD into character dependant stuff).

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
GG is one of the rare fighting games that doesnt really have many tiers. I'll have to log more time with the new chars to see if they stand up to the older ones though. I really cant think of too many gimps in GG besides the little pirate girl, and she has awesome supers and special moves I just dont like how she plays. I wouldnt say Axl Low is mid level Id say if you knew how to play him he could quite possibly be the cheesiest char in the game, maybe if he didnt have all those counters he wouldnt be as dangerous but he does. He also has a great juggle opener and dominate special moves. I really wouldnt say there are mid carders in this game they can all kick ass if you learn them well. Chip Zanuff is a god if you learn him inside and out , so are Ky(pimp), Baiken(sleeper hit), and Anji(dont mess with this man). Heck you can even try learning faust who is completely unpredictable if ya learn his well and surprisingly damaging.

The only 2 chars i would say are truely deserving of "overpowered" status are sol because he is high dmg, fast , great specials and combos into his super better than anyone else. And of course Potemkin...you learn to use this guy and not many will last long against you its usually a matter of you needing 4- 6 hits and you win. He is slow...when moving then again his charge special alleviates most of that anyway, then theres his jump special and of course if he catches you trying to play the cat and mouse game your done.

Other than those 2 guys its anyones game

Grifter

I was actually going by some tiers posted from a JPN mag from their general results, which I happen to agree with almost 100% based on my last couple years with the game and examining the changes in #R. I can't go over everyone now as I'm a bit pressured at work but Chipp for example just has some awful, awful matchups like Slayer who will easily eat a few combos from him, then catch him for 1 combo that almost kills him outright. His damage modifier is the lowest in the game outside of secret chars so you have to be precise. Tops were like...Eddie > Robo Ky > ..I forget, I think Slayer.

I agree that Sol and Axl seem like cheese fests to start off but they drop off a bit as you improve, esp. Sol. Faust was a scrubby beast and easily top tier in XX but has been weakened. Eddie was weakened a ton but still rules.

rastex

Banned
Awesome information, thanks a lot guys.

Man, FRC are really annoying heh. I can FRC Axl's crouching HS maybe 30% of the time or so, but his reng i can only get maybe 1% of the time. I read to FRC the reng to do it as the blades are coming out but that's not too helpful. For the crouching HS I FRC right as he's crouching straight upwards at the beginning of the attack (frame after he's bending backwards).

GG-Duo

I want to know what to do after Faust's Pogo -> Going My Way -> FRC

Sometimes he lands and sometimes he doesn't.
Ideally I want to go into his air combo, but most of the time I can't...

GG-Duo

ok... sounds like what i do once in a while, then. except your air combo is different from mine, which is the standard (JK, jc, JK, JS, JHS)

maybe it's a position thing

rastex

Banned
I'm playing the arcade Mode with Axl and the Ino at the end is absolutely murdering me :( I'm trying to get Instant Kill on her, and I can get it for 1 round but not both.

Top Bottom