• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero Live |OT| Not a Band Game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh so you CAN use the in-game currency to buy the "play tokens", acording to the IGN review. its not just the ones they hand out and real money

I thought someone said the in game currency was only for the perks and bonuses

Impulsor

I also have rockband 4 and I cannot emphasize enough how much I hate the guitar.

I miss the clicky strum bar of guitar hero. And what I'm reading about this one is getting me pretty hyped. I'll also be playing with friends, so.. Can't wait.

PJFJosh

oh so you CAN use the in-game currency to buy the "play tokens", acording to the IGN review. its not just the ones they hand out and real money

I thought someone said the in game currency was only for the perks and bonuses

Um, I actually mentioned that you could do that back here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182307188&postcount=389
"You get ten for completing the tutorial, another ten when you hit level three and so on. I've spent most of my time in GHTV playing and enjoying new music. That alone has given me a ton of in-game coins (to buy Plays) and actual Plays."

It's in my review too. Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear.

Um, I actually mentioned that you could do that back here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182307188&postcount=389
"You get ten for completing the tutorial, another ten when you hit level three and so on. I've spent most of my time in GHTV playing and enjoying new music. That alone has given me a ton of in-game coins (to buy Plays) and actual Plays."

It's in my review too. Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear.

Surely though if you spend your coins on plays, you can't spend your coins on perks, which means you can't compete? Having a live leaderboard showing people moving up and down throughout the song seems pretty pointless if you're the only one not using perks or something.

killroy87

because when youre watching MTV you cant retry music videos...

...I assume is their reasoning, even tho TIVO is a thing in 2015, and also MTV ISNT a thing in 2015, not as they want it to be (90s MTV maybe).

But still, I guess thats the reasoning

I wasn't referring to GHTV, I was referring to on-demand

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So reviews, like the thread really, are divisive on the GHTV implementation. Expected

j-wood

I bought rock band 4 band in a box (having never owned rb3, but I had 1 and 2, so It's a breath of fresh air for me).

I just can't decide if I want this too

PJFJosh

Surely though if you spend your coins on plays, you can't spend your coins on perks, which means you can't compete? Having a live leaderboard showing people moving up and down throughout the song seems pretty pointless if you're the only one not using perks or something.

The only other things you can buy with coins (at the moment anyway) are new note highways, player cards (both superfluous window dressing) and new Hero Powers.

The Hero Powers are unlocked for purchase with in game coins as you level up. By the time you get to a level where one unlocks you'll already have amassed a bunch of Plays (through the leveling process) and more than enough coins to buy the new power and a bunch of Plays on the side if you want.

The Hero Powers can be useful but they're not critical and they really don't cost much in terms of coins.

PJFJosh

I bought rock band 4 band in a box (having never owned rb3, but I had 1 and 2, so It's a breath of fresh air for me).

I just can't decide if I want this too

They're very different experiences. The guitar and the implementation of the gameplay are unlike any of the past games in either franchise.

You can buy just the game and never spend another dime if you want. You'll still be getting new content for free each week.

Just read some of the reviews to understand why this is different and how it works before you decide.

The Hero Powers can be useful but they're not critical and they really don't cost much in terms of coins.

My problem with Hero Powers is likely to be the same as it is in every single fucking game that has this mechanic; you can't earn enough currency for a full load-out every game. So basically, you have to play a bunch of songs knowing full well that you can't possibly compete, only to save up enough for that one single round where you can finally score proper points like everyone else.

I'm still going to get the game because I'm hoping to like it in spite of this, but I honestly couldn't be more disappointed that this is a thing because it basically destroys the competitive aspect of the game entirely.

If you want to play only the songs you like, you will need to earn a lot of tokens, because each try on a song cost a token...
It does seem like tokens are quite easy to come across though. I've played half a dozen songs and I've got 20 or so tokens left still. My mate has well over 50 already too. Maybe they become harder to get as you play but so far I could see myself never needing to buy tokens.

Tek

I just picked up my pre order from Gamestop. I didn't have any code on my receipt for 20.00 GH Cash or the Avenged Sevenfold concert. The guy printed a backup code which was the same Pandora one I had when I reserved.

He said it must be in the box itself, I didn't see anything other than a coupon for Skylanders. Did anyone get the 20.00 GH Cash and concert code on the receipt or is it available when you boot up the game?

DarkOneX

I just picked up my pre order from Gamestop. I didn't have any code on my receipt for 20.00 GH Cash or the Avenged Sevenfold concert. The guy printed a backup code which was the same Pandora one I had when I reserved.

He said it must be in the box itself, I didn't see anything other than a coupon for Skylanders. Did anyone get the 20.00 GH Cash and concert code on the receipt or is it available when you boot up the game?

I had kinda wondered if everybody is getting $20 GH cash to start regardless of where you bought and Gamestop was just listing that as a perk of preordering there. I recall reading in multiple places the devs saying they were giving plenty of cash to start with. Let us know what you find.

T.O.P

Banned

Would love that bonus lol

No idea if Amazon will give it away with the pre-order as well

Tek

Well I booted up the game and definitely didn't see anything about the GH Cash. Didn't have time to see if the Avenged Sevenfold concert was available. I called back up to GS and they were aware of the problem now. Guess more people complained. Anyways, he took down my name and number, said I should get a call back today

Would love that bonus lol

No idea if Amazon will give it away with the pre-order as well

No, actually I had this reserved with Amazon at first, but when I saw this perk I switched over to GS. $20.00 bucks is $20.00 bucks, I don't care if its funny money or real, still a nice perk to have. Hopefully they get this resolved by today.

killroy87

Have we heard anything yet regarding how long a song may live on GHTV? I assume some contracts will be different than others, I'm just curious if we've heard a general baseline

T.O.P

Banned
No, actually I had this reserved with Amazon at first, but when I saw this perk I switched over to GS. $20.00 bucks is $20.00 bucks, I don't care if its funny money or real, still a nice perk to have. Hopefully they get this resolved by today.

Shit

No point in ordering at GS for me tho, it costs 110€ against 89€ @ Amazon :|

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Thinking about picking this up today. Does this have online competitive multiplayer? Or is it just local coop only?

T.O.P

Banned
Thinking about picking this up today. Does this have online competitive multiplayer? Or is it just local coop only?

Everytime you play the GHTV you are in competitive mode, more coins/exp the better you perform

immaassasgineq9saw.png

Donnow how does it work outside of the GHTV tho

SFenton

I was really good on Expert. How's the new learning curve for experienced players?

I play Expert DJ Hero, Guitar Hero/Rock Band on all instruments, highest level guitar in BandFuse/Rocksmith (on average), and I jumped in on Expert just fine.

Is there a menu button in GHTV? Cause I'd really like to change the channel and/or adjust my difficulty but I cannot figure out how.

EDIT: Oh ok, apparently I was still in the tutorial

EDIT AGAIN: Ok never mind, I still can't figure it out. Can you not change difficulty mid-song on GHTV?

ChrisDM

Apologies if this is being talked about already, but is there any difference between Xbox One and PS4? All I've heard so far is that Xbox can be finicky with two guitars, something about Bluetooth.

antitrop

Alright, I was able to start out on Advanced and hang with it. :)

If I lose even the slightest bit of concentration, though, my brain flips the Black and White rows and I completely fuck everything up for like a 20 second stretch.

I'm sure I'll have the hang of Expert by tonight, though.

DarkOneX

Was excited to receive Guitar Hero Live from Amazon today, got the game installed, put the guitar together only to find one of the damn buttons was incredibly rough and would get stuck in the down position! Created an RMA and shipped it off and now awaiting them to ship me another :( So effing pissed grrrrrr!
Anybody else have such luck today?

SFenton

Apologies if this is being talked about already, but is there any difference between Xbox One and PS4? All I've heard so far is that Xbox can be finicky with two guitars, something about Bluetooth.

I've noticed stuttering on Xbox One, but the game was still installing.

I've had issues with two guitars, but I've also found out today that two guitars can connect to one dongle. I'm now concerned that the other dongle was interfering with the primary dongle, so I'm going to test with one dongle and two guitars tonight.

jtrov

Is there a menu button in GHTV? Cause I'd really like to change the channel and/or adjust my difficulty but I cannot figure out how.

EDIT: Oh ok, apparently I was still in the tutorial

EDIT AGAIN: Ok never mind, I still can't figure it out. Can you not change difficulty mid-song on GHTV?

Having the same issue as you. For the life of me I can't find out how to change the difficulty when playing GHTV. Whatever it defaulted me at after the tutorial is getting pretty easy and I'd like to move the difficulty up. I'm guessing it's something simple and I'm just overlooking it.

Wow, all it took was the tutorial for the game to completely suck me in. I'm really digging the FMV, and the overall presentation of the game. It makes it really stand out as a new title in the series. Mix that in with the GHTV side of things and the game really shines as a new type of experience. After the tutorial I hopped into GHTV and before I knew it two hours already passed. Hopefully it stays this way, but I've been racking up a ton of cash and play coins to the point where it doesn't seem at all concerning.

Really enjoying the game though, wasn't really on my radar until I read about the GHTV stuff.

jcutner

Having the same issue as you. For the life of me I can't find out how to change the difficulty when playing GHTV. Whatever it defaulted me at after the tutorial is getting pretty easy and I'd like to move the difficulty up. I'm guessing it's something simple and I'm just overlooking it.

Wow, all it took was the tutorial for the game to completely suck me in. I'm really digging the FMV, and the overall presentation of the game. It makes it really stand out as a new title in the series. Mix that in with the GHTV side of things and the game really shines as a new type of experience. After the tutorial I hopped into GHTV and before I knew it two hours already passed. Hopefully it stays this way, but I've been racking up a ton of cash and play coins to the point where it doesn't seem at all concerning.

Really enjoying the game though, wasn't really on my radar until I read about the GHTV stuff.

from what I read in the reviews, you can change it on the pause menu

atr0cious

Anybody have any reviews for the Wii U version? Want to pull the trigger, but worried about the implementation compared to the others.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow lol this is going to take some adjusting. I like the changes on the guitar for sure. I barely just made it through an advance song on the first try, gonna be weird holding down top and bottom buttons that aren't considered bar chords.

Tek

Just a FYI to anyone else having this problem. Your GS store will need to call into their help desk to get a code. It took about 20 mins of waiting.

Here is the topic on reddit I created that has some info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GuitarHero/comments/3pi1yy/did_anyone_who_pre_ordered_from_game_stop_get_a/

Anybody have any reviews for the Wii U version? Want to pull the trigger, but worried about the implementation compared to the others.

The Wii U version is fine. I had the game hard crash once, requiring a hard reset of the console. I was flipping back and forth between a couple of menus while GHTV was trying to show me and load some stuff. But that's it, and I don't see that happening again.

You'll want to make sure you have 2GB free so the game can store cache data for GHTV, but even that is not required.

No issues with the guitar at all. Haven't looked at the game hard enough to tell if it's 1080p or not, but it's crisp and clear at the very least.

Top Bottom