• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gulty Gear XX Reload: Worth $20 for single player?

Speevy

Banned
I'm picking up another game this weekend. Is this game worth 20 for its single player or should I get something else?

DarkCloud

The AI aint the greatest but Reload does have quite a few single player bits that could make the 20$ purchase worth it.

150 Missions (Kind of like the Weapon master mode in SC2 but much harder) , Survival mode (difficulty rises as you gain levels:100 levels to go through and unlockable character movesets/colors as you go), Medal of Millionaire mode, and a pretty indepth story mode for a fighter with 3 alternate paths/endings for each character.

Big question is are you really into fighters?

Speevy

Banned
I really like fighters, but more importantly I've never played a Guilty Gear game. Plus, I need an extra trade-in game for the future. But after the impressions so far in this thread I guess I won't get it. :/

Soul4ger

Yes. It's $20 fucking dollars. And the game is gorgeous. And has hot music. And is great fun, just better with more than one person.

Ferrio

Banned
It's a great game, but like any fighting game it's best played with real opponents.

But it does have lots of extra options, missions, unlockables for you nuts that like single player.

And it's got I-no:

slut.jpg

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Unfortunatly, #reload has the crappy music. I wish I could import my Midnight Carnival mp3's :(

Drexon

Banned
Sp3eD said:
Unfortunatly, #reload has the crappy music. I wish I could import my Midnight Carnival mp3's :(
I thought #Reload had both the X2 songs (rock) and maybe the korean #Reload songs (suckage)...? And if you're talking about the X2 songs: *suckerpunch*

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
To my knowledge I thought #reload WAS the korean version. Some movies I have seen from IGN on the Xbox #reload had the same character selection music and a level with the music. The music from the Korean version was just plain awful.

However, Midnight Carnaval (which is X2 on PS2) is some of the best rock music in a video game ever. Honestly I have no idea how they botched the music so bad.....

Ferrio

Banned
Sp3eD said:
To my knowledge I thought #reload WAS the korean version. Some movies I have seen from IGN on the Xbox #reload had the same character selection music and a level with the music. The music from the Korean version was just plain awful.

However, Midnight Carnaval (which is X2 on PS2) is some of the best rock music in a video game ever. Honestly I have no idea how they botched the music so bad.....

No, #reload is a whole new version. Just the koreans got a special edition with an additional soundtrack.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
ok cool, I just checked new videos and it does indeed have the kick ass soundtrack. Thank god.

Earlier movies had the Korean stage select music so that scared the shit out of me.

All is well, buy this game :)

In the Japanese XBOX version of #Reload, if your console is set to English or Japanese language in the dashboard, the music will be the original Japanese soundtrack (The game text will also correspond to the language you choose in the dashboard) .. If your console is set to Korean language in the dashboard, the music is the Korean music, and the voices are dubbed in Korean. I am assuming that the US version will be the same way.

Hari

Banned
Save your money and buy Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike it is a much better fighting game then any of the GG games. The A.I is better in SF3 as well.

Dave Long

Banned
Or pay $20 for GG now and then $30 for SFAC in January like everyone else with a brain. *megarolleyes*

There's a tournament in Dec. in Philly and they're using #R there. I think it's safe to say you should get the Xbox game.

I'm planning on attending that Philly tournament to get my head handed to me if anyone from the GAF is going too.

robot

Soul4ger said:
Yes. It's $20 fucking dollars. And the game is gorgeous. And has hot music. And is great fun, just better with more than one person.

thats what im talkin about

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think it's definitely worth $20. Maybe less so for single player if you're really good. The thing is...GG has such bizarre characters and funny presentation that to me it's a must play. I love popping it in every so often for that fact alone. I'm definitely going to get this version whether or not the LIVE is good (cause, um, I'm not that great at fighting games) just because I love the characters and rock cheesiness. I really don't think you'd be dissapointed.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MoxManiac said:
Sorry Ferrio, but SF3 3s outclasses GG anything~

Guilty Gear has seen a lot of improvements in its various incarnations (and has taken a step backwards with Isuka, but that's a different story), but yeah, it still doesn't have what it takes to compete with Capcom or SNK fighting games....it always feels too chaotic, and in Isuka, it's too chaotic to the point of being almost unplayable in 4P vs. mode IMO.

That said, I can't wait to see how #Reload is online. :)

Oh, and Mox....in Japan, people were all over #Reload in arcades, while SF3 sat there.

Lyte Edge

Sysgen said:
On the Majesco Guilty Gear #Reload forums there is talk of a Progressive Scan bug. Anyone know anything about this?

I've played the Japanese version and never had any problems in 480p. The bug appears to stretch out the screen according to people on that forum, but I didn't see anything different about it on my TV.

BTW, wide screen support has been added to the U.S. version.

On the Gamespot forums there was talk that the game was delayed because the distributor forgot to pack in the manual. If that's true how could that happen.

Doubtful, and according to EBGames, my copy shipped out yesterday.

Sysgen

Lyte Edge said:
I've played the Japanese version and never had any problems in 480p.

Doubtful, and according to EBGames, my copy shipped out yesterday.

The game was delayed till yesterday. Good to know about 480p. Thxs

Lyte Edge

Sysgen said:
The game was delayed till yesterday. Good to know about 480p. Thxs

I see what you mean now...thought you meant it got delayed AGAIN. :) Yeah, I don't know what they're talking about with the 480p, but then again, I'm no "expert." Those guys didn't even know how to enable PS2 progressive scan though, so perhaps they aren't experts either.

Sai

Just got a call from the manager at EB Games, my copy's in.

Anybody try it out on LIVE yet? I want impressions, dang it. :(

Lyte Edge

My copy should be at my doorstop any minute now...

I've seen a few post on Gamefaqs saying online play is extremely laggy. :(

toohectic

Lyte Edge said:
I've played the Japanese version and never had any problems in 480p. The bug appears to stretch out the screen according to people on that forum, but I didn't see anything different about it on my TV.

Did you play the Xbox Japanese version? This bug isn't present on the #R PS2 version.

For an example of the bug in action, check out the link below and look halfway down the page for kpatrick's post. He posted pictures of Xbox #R running in both normal and 480p, and the 480p pictures show that about a half inch gets cut off on each side of the screen.

http://majescogames.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=169

Grifter

#R kills everything SF. All IMO of course. I've played SF since SF1 in the 80's and used to play 3S (among other SF/KoF games) around NYC. I definitely play fighters for the competition and #R's just a near-perfect refinement of XX.

I love how offense flows in 3S but I can say the same about #R and its balance issues aren't nearly as annoying. In fact, it's probably the only fighter where I truly fear every character.

To say the game is too chaotic to play seriously is plain ignorance. I felt the same when I first started, having trouble with the high/low mixing moves and the aerial options but when you play the game more and learn the characters' options from their current state (ie. Sol normal jump -> double jump or air dash, not both, so react/guess your next step to punish), everything makes sense and you stop losing to what seems like random factors. I love SNK but #R blows away KoF's annual balance issues. The only reason SNK fans get away with the tired line about players using whoever they want is because of the lack of competition.

Soul4ger

I just realized that I said "$20 fucking dollars," which is horribly redundant. I change my prior statement, but only to amend it to "twenty-fucking-dollars." The meaning remains the same.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played a couple matches, have run into zero lag. I did choose opponents that were rated 'Excellent' on the Optimatch window however. So far so good though...

Oh and I would argue GGXX capable enough of standing toe to toe with SF3 just fine. Game is awesome.

Oh and I see lots of people online playing Fable...so, is it just Live Aware or something? I didn't notice an XBL stripe on the packaging in the shop. Does it have Download support?

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone able to do FRC's with no problem online?

Saying there's no lag is instant bullshit, there's always lag that's just physics.

Readin the shoryuken thread looks like it's no different than I figured it would be, up to 1-2 second delays, but sometimes better. Any delay is bad (see DC SF3 compalints), but 1-2 seconds is just hideous.

nitewulf

GGx's gameplay is actually pretty deep. i havent played any of the latter installments but i really liked GGx on DC. i'd say get it for 20 bucks, really fun to play, great music and graphics, and there is a great amount of depth to the fighting engine if you're willing to forth the effort. cant lose.

Lyte Edge

Grifter said:
The only reason SNK fans get away with the tired line about players using whoever they want is because of the lack of competition.

Ever been to countries other than the U.S.? :p

Lyte Edge

I tried to play the game online this afternoon and kept getting "Failure" listed under the connection every time I tried to play someone.

Anyone have any luck? This is the worst XBL support I've ever seen.

Pachinko

My local EB's computer is claiming the game got delayed until the 23rd ?! Yet half of you are all buying it tonight and it should be everywhere by tommorow, friday at the latest. So why would EB's computer be saying next wednesday now ?

I'm canadian but still, that's never meant more then a day or 2 extra. Fable was at my local EB today.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I picked mine up from TRU that I work at. We are a really small TRU too, so I was downright suprised we got this game in so soon. Just as awesome as the PS2 version thus far.

Gantz

Banned
I picked up my copy today for 11 bucks! Traded in a farscape dvd + employee discount. So far it seems the same as GGX2 for PS2 but the sprites seem cleaner and the animation is smoother.

i played online tonight vs. my arch nemesis (you know who you are scum!) and it was lag-free dominance for me.

p.s. suck it down DM! You just go chipp'd!

Top Bottom