• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guncon 2 + HDTV = possible?

Mofo

Works on both of mine (32 direct view & 65 projection). I am just using the standad A/V connection when I play though. Hope that helps.

Cooper

It depends on what kind of TV you have. If it's a non-CRT display (e.g. LCD, plasma, DLP), you're SOL. If it's a CRT display (either direct view or projection), it will probably work as long as your TV can display 480i or 480p. Some CRT HDTVs like the Wega upconvert 480i/p sources to non-standard resolutions such as 960i, so they won't work either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
someone will need to come up with a solution if we are to have lightgun games next gen.

simply writing off LCD/plasma/rearpro/upscaling/100Hz TVs will kill half your market.

Yep, and for those calling for Sega, Namco and others to start putting out more light gun games need to rethink their position. I'd not release any of those games until there's a gun that works with 99% of the tv's out there. Playing gun games with the controller isn't that much fun.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
guns work by reading the scan line the electron gun was at when the trigger was pulled. because non-crt's don't scan the guns don't work properly with them.

as for getting a system that works with ALL types of TV's, it would be hard. it would probably be required to be a photo recognition system that would be able to interpret textures and whatnot and gauge if what was shot at at that second was an active target.. or something like that.. off the top of my head.

8bit

Knows the Score
mrklaw said:
someone will need to come up with a solution if we are to have lightgun games next gen.

simply writing off LCD/plasma/rearpro/upscaling/100Hz TVs will kill half your market.

Don't know about the rest, but 100Hz guns are available.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eventually it will be a large proportion - likely in the lifetime of the next generation. CRTs are being phased out for larger screens, and the kinds of people that shell out for plasmas/Rear pro are the sort that pay big money for launch consoles.

I don't think they need complex technology. Arcades have had Rearpro compatible guns for a while, and also some that don't use flashing screens. Maybe some kind of receiver near the TV that receives an IR beam from the gun and works out positioning based on the timing of the beam?

Cooper

akascream said:
Most people still watch broadcast TV. I wouldn't be suprised if most people didn't have an svideo input on thier tvs.

I watch broadcast TV too, but that's so I can watch high definition shows. :) I assume you mean most people watch standard def TV?

borghe

8bit said:
Don't know about the rest, but 100Hz guns are available.
unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem as non-crt displays don't scan.

the only thing I can think of I've already said. it will need to work on actual image recognition.

like the game actually draws it's own grid onscreen for tracking, but it's done in such a way as to be invisible to our eyes.

I dunno, I'm just BSin' along with ya

borghe

lol.. no, I was being serious.. technically you could do something (similar to eyetoy) where it is actually looking at the screen and then doing say pattern recognition on all available textures on the model or just general image recognition on the model or something, and then scores a hit based on that.

the posters here are right. eventually electron scanning on crt's will go away completely and we will be on fixed pixel displays... gun games will either need to adapt or die. out of all available methods to get a gun game to work (short of loading it with real bullets) image/pattern recognition is all I can think of.

Top Bottom