• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hair help (styling gel, spray, etc questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hair is weird. If I wet it down and move it about, I really like the way my hair looks. Then about 10 minutes later, my hair totallly dries out and gets all puffy from dryness.

So I guess I've decided I need some kind of gel or spray to keep it with that wet look. The thing is, I hate when those products make your hair totally stiff and crunchy. Are there any products out that that don't give that horrible feel yet can hold your hair pretty firmly and give off a wet look?

Even if you don't use something like this, post what you use and what it does so I can get more knowledable on this.

If I could just get my hair to look and feel the way I wanted, I would be like 95% satisfied with my physical appearance. My hair has always been a huge annoyance. HELP.

jiggle

kms.jpg

Drensch

I had a somewhat similiar issue. A pomade, wax, fiber creme, mud etc(most come in small circular packaging) they seem to work great. You hardly need any, even if you have a lot of hair. Plus it gives you a little versatility, they hold great and look totally different when put in wet or dry hair and what kind of styling you do. I'd try one of those and experiment a bit. Just put a very small amount(not much more than a pea, unless you have hair that is 4 inches or so) into your hand and rub to coat your hands. Work it through all of your hair and style. Once you do that and see what happens then you can start experimenting.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Yeah, you want the cream/foam hair products. They hold the hair, but allows it to move naturally. You wont get that stupid looking crunchy, cyclone proof hair.

Make sure you hair is damp, not soaking wet but not dry either, scoop a bit into your hands and rub it evenly over your hands. Then work it into the hair. Make sure you work the hair product right down to the scalp (not just the ends of your hair) and into the hair on the back of your head too. Too many times have I seen guys who have styled the hair on the front, top and sides of their head and left the back untouched. Looks really bad.

It's also a good idea not to style your hair in a way that it doesn't sit naturally because you'll find that your hair will slowly move back into that natural position. Half way through the night it will look terrible. Best way to find how your hair sits naturally is to wash your hair well, dry it till there's no moisture at all, brush it and then shake your head around to let it fall into place. Look at how your hair naturally parts (if at all) and then work with that using whatever hair product you use (as long as it's not gel). You can still come up with interesting and good looking hair styles while still styling your hair based on how it parts and sits naturally.

And you don't want gel. That's 80-90's stuff :p

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
You guys have it easy. I'm cursed with incredibly straight hair, even when I go salon to get it cut they always comment on the straightness. Literally grows straight down.

So hard to get it into a decent style that it can stay in. When it's reasonably short like it is now I usually use L'oreal Surf Gel which has the in-hand texture of gel, but when it's in your hair it acts more like wax. So it's not hard in your hair but provides really good hold.

But damn my straight hair.

i had the same problem and i started using some wax pomade (since i have longish hair) and it worked great. Also, not washing your hair as much actually helps too. Obviously you don't want it to get smelly and greasy, but just use less shampoo when you wash and it does help, at least for me.

ick i hate the pomade type things my hair feels like a giant grease ball although on the other hand it does exactly what you want. A firm hold but not crunchy hard it could be remolded any time you have it in so if you see some hair going the wrong way fix that shit.

Drey1082

Drensch said:
I had a somewhat similiar issue. A pomade, wax, fiber creme, mud etc(most come in small circular packaging) they seem to work great. You hardly need any, even if you have a lot of hair. Plus it gives you a little versatility, they hold great and look totally different when put in wet or dry hair and what kind of styling you do. I'd try one of those and experiment a bit. Just put a very small amount(not much more than a pea, unless you have hair that is 4 inches or so) into your hand and rub to coat your hands. Work it through all of your hair and style. Once you do that and see what happens then you can start experimenting.

American crew grooming cream works good for me. I'm sure there's a cheaper alternative though.

effzee

u know i use these products and then i wonder what the long term damage is.....does it all pretty make u go bald?

Drensch

I use (I got it really cheap) LA looks fiber creme pomade. When I run out I'll probably try something else, just to see what stuff is like. Some of this stuff is really expensive.

Garnier makes Fructis Style Fiber Gum Putty
Behead has a few different products.
American crew pomade
Aveda makes some

Pretty much any hair care product company makes a wax/putty/glue/paste/pomade.

u know i use these products and then i wonder what the long term damage is.....does it all pretty make u go bald

I don't know of any scientific info on the subject. But I doubt that it does. Women use far more products than men and you never hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom