• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 = $35.99 @ outpost.com (free shipping)

Fixed2BeBroken said:
what i am wondering is

if i bought this
would i be able to get cs source/dod source/half life source thru steam?

peace
i think regular hl2 comes with CS, but you would need to upgrade to "silver" on steam, for an extra $10 most likely, to get the rest.

cool and yes i just purchased this...

so this possibly means il get hl2, cs source, dod source, and half life source for about 46 dollars?

good shit.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
cool and yes i just purchased this...

so this possibly means il get hl2, cs source, dod source, and half life source for about 46 dollars?

good shit.

I think possibly is the key here. Valve doesn't list any carte blanche pricing plans on their website. This is the reason I'm not excited by the deal. I finially got hooked on DOD and I'm not taking any chances on wasting money on the retail version if it's only gonna be available through Steam's Silver and Gold package.

ravingloon said:
I think possibly is the key here. Valve doesn't list any carte blanche pricing plans on their website. This is the reason I'm not excited by the deal. I finially got hooked on DOD and I'm not taking any chances on wasting money on the retail version if it's only gonna be available through Steam's Silver and Gold package.

uh thing is, im pretty sure they are not gonna alienate people who bought the retail half life 2 from being able to get dod, etc.

i mean, thats retarded.

"Oh you bought half life 2 retail, but to get dod and half life source u better spend 70 more bucks on Another copy of half life 2 off of steam with it."

Eh...no

peace

Hooker

Fixed2BeBroken, you'll be spending WAY more money if you buy this in the store and are looking to buy DoD:S and H::S later on.

DoD:S and HL:S aren't mods, they are new games. And for new games, you're going to have to pay. They will obviously sell it at a lower cost, but I reckon that it will surely cost you 15 bucks... EACH!

They are not alienating anyone with this. DoD is a mod for Half-Life1, not Half-Life2. Don't be fooled by that. If you want to play the other games, buy it on Steam. There will be NO possible way that the retail version of the game will end up cheaper than the Steam version.

epmode

according to valve, there is no way to upgrade the retail packs to steam packages. if you want hl1 & dod source, you'll have to buy them a la carte.

epmode

the retail contents have already been announced. 6 cds worth of half-life 2 and counterstrike: source. that's it.

Hooker said:
DoD:S and HL:S aren't mods, they are new games. And for new games, you're going to have to pay. They will obviously sell it at a lower cost, but I reckon that it will surely cost you 15 bucks... EACH!

what do you mean new games?

how the heck are they not mods?

i thought DOD:S is dod with half life 2 engine...same for HL:S

peace

Hooker

They are, it's the same concept merely for the new engine. This, however, isn't as simple as pressing a button which converts them from HL1 to HL2. They have to make almost everything from scratch. With DoD it's known that iit uses a whole team even.

They are mods for the Half-Life1 engine (as in free), they are new games on the Source engine (you are going to pay for it).

Meier

No wonder Vivendi is suing them. Valve is dicking them if they're saying the only way to upgrade is to buy it through Steam.

Hooker

It isn't like that, kinda funny how they are trying to offer the customers a better deal and it starts to turn against them.

They are offering packages for a lower price, those packages divided into 3 categories, bronze, silver and gold. Thing is, those packages are exclusive to users who buy them online.

You can't blame them that you aren't getting the same thing if you can't take advantage of those packages because you don't want to purchase the game online. Same way you can't get pissed at a company because you didn't get the free t-shirt when you would've pre-ordered instead of picking it up a few months later.

suaveric

I'm ok with buying HL2 for $35 this way and HL:S for $15 later, because that's all I want. That's still just $50 total. But does anyone know if they'll be offering HL:S just by itself?

epmode

as of now, there are no plans to offer half-life: source by itself. that may change in the future (and i fully expect it to.)

Hooker said:
It isn't like that, kinda funny how they are trying to offer the customers a better deal and it starts to turn against them.

They are offering packages for a lower price, those packages divided into 3 categories, bronze, silver and gold. Thing is, those packages are exclusive to users who buy them online.

You can't blame them that you aren't getting the same thing if you can't take advantage of those packages because you don't want to purchase the game online. Same way you can't get pissed at a company because you didn't get the free t-shirt when you would've pre-ordered instead of picking it up a few months later.

this is the thing

if we CAN upgrade our retail versions, then thats fine with me. Of course its gonna cost money, but as long as we can.

if we CANNOT upgrade the retail version AT ALL....and the only way to get DOD Source and Half Life source is to Buy the WHOLE thing (whole thing meaning half life 2, cs source, dod source and half life 2 source) on Steam...
THEN THATS FUCKIN RETARDED.

peace

Hooker

As I said in my first reply, you ARE able to buy them seperatly, but it's going to cost you more in the long run. Though, it's not going to be an upgrade, but a new game.

You need to realise that all of these are serperate games, and you will be able to get them in boxes in most retail shops. The pricing of those just hasn't been announced yet. I know it's not going to be the cost of a full new game, more like a budget game cost. (and that's the beauty of the steam packages IMO. I'm already sure I'm going to be playing these games at no additional cost)

Hooker said:
As I said in my first reply, you ARE able to buy them seperatly, but it's going to cost you more in the long run. Though, it's not going to be an upgrade, but a new game.

You need to realise that all of these are serperate games, and you will be able to get them in boxes in most retail shops. The pricing of those just hasn't been announced yet. I know it's not going to be the cost of a full new game, more like a budget game cost. (and that's the beauty of the steam packages IMO. I'm already sure I'm going to be playing these games at no additional cost)

but id be able to upgrade my Retail half life 2 for a steam dod:s right (for a price of course)?

or would i HAVE to buy the retail dod:s?

Ferrio

Banned
What's your people's beef with steam? As soon as you enter your cd key from the CDs it's no different than if you ordered online. Wow....big woop you have physical cds that you can download any damn time you want.

Ferrio said:
What's your people's beef with steam? As soon as you enter your cd key from the CDs it's no different than if you ordered online. Wow....big woop you have physical cds that you can download any damn time you want.

dude, i just want half life 2 for 35.99

and then get just dod source later from steam, but i wanna know if thats possible...get a retail version of half life 2 and be able to get steam version of dod

peace

Are they going to force people who buy Half-Life 2 retail to connect to the internet to validate their purchase and play? If so, I suppose I could just go with steam. If not however, I'd like being able to have a game I can install and play without being bound to the internet.

Ferrio

Banned
Uncle Dukey said:
Are they going to force people who buy Half-Life 2 retail to connect to the internet to validate their purchase and play? If so, I suppose I could just go with steam. If not however, I'd like being able to have a game I can install and play without being bound to the internet.

I'm pretty sure everything must be done through steam. I think you can play offline though, but must be done through steam. I think that's how it works.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Uncle Dukey said:

I dunno, you gotta wonder...

I mean, it is entirely possible that someone will purchase HL2 at retail and not actually have access to the internet on their PC. So, obviously, the game has to be playable without the net...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
methodman said:
Wario, do you know if they are going to have this deal at the fry's electronic stores as well?

I'm sure Fry's will have some sort of deal for the brick and mortar store. When has Fry's never given a deal to a high profile game or movie? :p

epmode

Fixed2BeBroken said:

and then get just dod source later from steam, but i wanna know if thats possible...get a retail version of half life 2 and be able to get steam version of dod

peace
considering the fact that neither of the retail versions include dod source, it's virtually guaranteed that they'll offer it seperately.
dark10x said:
I mean, it is entirely possible that someone will purchase HL2 at retail and not actually have access to the internet on their PC. So, obviously, the game has to be playable without the net...
surprisingly enough, hl2 requires an internet connection. you have to validate the cd key once, and then you can use the offline mode as much as you want.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Question...

Is it possible to "share" the steam version?

Meaning if me and a buddy split the cost and share one CD key, can't we both just download the stuff off of steam and both enjoy the single player? Couldn't we also play the multiplayer as long as we weren't on at the same time?

Or does steam only let you DL the game a certain number of times??

Hooker

Yes, you can play offline, start Steam without a connection, it tells you that it doesn't have access to the internet and you can play the game.

Yes, it is possible to "share" an account. Only gripe is that 2 people can NOT be logged in at the same time. Banning of the account may occur if this happens frequently I reckon (meaning you have to buy yourself a new copy)

What MrBob said about being logged on when playing single player is partially true. If you have an active internet connection, you will be logged in. If you don't, you won't.

No, there is not a limit of how many times you can download the games you've bought and registered on your Steam account. I format my drives quite often and I've been able to download everything everytime without a hitch.

Yes, DoD:S is going to be put up for purchase if we believe the last the last couple of press conferences. I reckon it's probably going to be available in both retail stores and on the Steam buy menu. It's just going to cost you more buying them serperately instead of in the package. You will not be able to upgrade your purchases though. (The retail version is essentially the bronze package on Steam. You are not able to buy it in the store, and decide you want to upgrade your purchase to the silver online package. You would have to buy the items in that package on their own. DoD:S, HL:S, CS:CZ etc.) With upgrade, I mean going from the (online) Bronze package to the (online) Silver package. ($10 difference IIRC) Buying DoD:S at another time is just adding a new game to your SteamID.

Yes, every purchase has to be validated on the net. That CD-KEY will be integrated into your SteamID. Once you enter it, it has no use anymore. Same with the CD's, although I can imagine people without broadband would rather install the game from the CD instead of downloading those 3.5+ GB again. (You could also back up the encrypted packages for the games, and paste those in your Steam folder. Essentially the same thing, because it will detect those packages and not download those again)

Rorschach

Fixed2BeBroken said:

peace
It's pretty much confirmed that you can get the games individually from steam. In fact, if you go to steam > browse games > individual games, it has a list of games you can get. Not 100% sure, but it would be stupid of them not to let you.

Rorschach said:
It's pretty much confirmed that you can get the games individually from steam. In fact, if you go to steam > browse games > individual games, it has a list of games you can get. Not 100% sure, but it would be stupid of them not to let you.

And if you click on Day of Defeat, it takes you to the Steam Silver and Gold Packages with the Steam Exclusive logo. I'm not saying they'll never be available, but I do think I'mNotLikeThem was out of place telling the guy to buy the retail version because DoD will only cost 10 dollars on Steam. Says who? I mean, who plays these games online and doesn't know about Steam? If you're thinking of buying HL2 and really want CS or DoD, you want CS of DoD because you're playing the current versions now on Steam. And you can't be on Steam without knowing the situation of the HL2 packages... buy Silver or Gold for DoD.

As for some bitching about Valve screwing Vivendi, huh? Why should Vivendi get any money from DoD? Valve's the one footing the bill for the source conversion and Valve is paying for the online hosting service. If Valve wants the revenue for itself, I'd say it's entitled to it.

Top Bottom