• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2 Edge Review (some quotes)

DSN2K

"Yes, it's a linear shooter: a magnificent, breathtaking paragon of the form. Half-Life 2 takes squad based elements, the vehicles, the physics, the gorgeous good looks, the whole sedimentary block of genre conceits and carves out a masterpiece. This isn'tabout doing things differently to anyone else, it's about doing them better."

"Half-Life 2 never lets up: it's a high bandwidth cascade of challenges. There is no time for repetition or monotony. The sheer urgency with which the player is propelled through the game sees to that. Few games have such a qualified sense of drama. Half-Life 2 tells a story in which you are swept along without feeling helpless."

" The intensity of chase scenes, the gut-wrenching loss of friends, the grim brutality of killing - all these experiences are delivered with astomishing vitality. The characters win hearts and raise suspicions. The acting, their movement, their facial expressions, all seem imbued with humanity. The city itself, awe-inspiring, oppressive and terrifying in equal measure, is flawlessly designed. You are embedded in this world."

"Half-Life 2 is a first person shooter. But in action, storytelling, technical achievement, atmosphere and intensity it has far outdone its peers. Valve just hit the top note no other pc game developer could reach."

"10/10"

GOTY ;)

Pug

my PC won't do this game justice, Radieon 9000 AMD 2.8 and 512mb of ram but I'mstill getting it. Along with Halo2 of course.

BlueLegs

Steam is constantly mocking me every other day by telling me it is unlocking the Half Life 2 game files, even though i know it is just a CS:S update, i still fell giddy every time it comes up. :D

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Hey DSN2K is the magazine in the shops already. I looked in whsmiths today but no luck :(

Half Life 2 needs to hurry up and come out and own all the Halo 2 / Metroid Prime 2 / San Andreas fanboys.

PITIFUL HU-MAN GAME DEVELOPERS. HOW CAN YOUR GAME OF THE YEAR HOPE TO COMPETE AGAINST THE GAME OF THE DECADE? MWA HA HA.

Hooker

BlueLegs said:
Steam is constantly mocking me every other day by telling me it is unlocking the Half Life 2 game files, even though i know it is just a CS:S update, i still fell giddy every time it comes up. :D
EXACTLY!!!

And take a look in the monitor window. It's downloading and installing DoD:S as well :/

BlueLegs

Hooker said:
And take a look in the monitor window. It's downloading and installing DoD:S as well :/
Nothing wrong with that. :D

I can't wait until all of this Source content is unlocked for my playing pleasure.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Aaaaaand Half-life 2 delivaaaaahs!! I'm sure of it. GOTY. If only my wallet allowed me to play it. :(

SKluck

Banned
Valve is golden, much like Blizzard, and for the most part Bungie.

Don't doubt them when you have no reason to.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
You know, the funny thing is about reviewing PC games: is it a 10/10 on my PC? Do they tackle system specs in the review? I have no doubt that HL2 is going to rock out with its cock out, but if you play it on a low end PC is it the same experience? What amount and kind of ram, processor, sound card, sound set up, and video card do I need for it to be a 10/10?

Insertia

jetjevons said:
You know, the funny thing is about reviewing PC games: is it a 10/10 on my PC? Do they tackle system specs in the review? I have no doubt that HL2 is going to rock out with its cock out, but if you play it on a low end PC is it the same experience? What amount and kind of ram, processor, sound card, sound set up, and video card do I need for it to be a 10/10?

The gameplay doesn't change regardless of what your set-up is.

ElyrionX

SKluck said:
Valve is golden, much like Blizzard, and for the most part Bungie.

Don't doubt them when you have no reason to.

Ummm, maybe because apart from Half-Life and its two million other expansions and spinoffs and mods, nobody remembers Valve being responsible for any other game?

Blizzard has Starcraft, Warcraft 1-3 and Diablo 1-2........

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
My entire life outside of video games will effectively be non-existent over the Christmas period.

Donkey Konga
Pikmin 2
Paper Mario 2
Tales of Symphonia
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Grand Theft Auto Advance

and now Half-Life 2... my wallet am crying.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So, this is the third confirmed HL2 review so far, right?

96% - tied for highest PC Gamer UK has given

98% - tied for highest PC Gamer US has given

10/10 - tied for highest Edge has given (and doesn't get any higher)

6 years in the making...over a year of delays..suppose we can safely say that it delivers ;b

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hooker said:
With HALO2 you will get a slow frame rate regardless...

You get CONSTANT framerates, however...

A constant 30 fps (or at least 95% constant) is preferred to a framerate that moves all over the board...

I mean, when I run around in Doom 3 I get 60 fps most of the time...but as soon as the combat begins, I'm sitting at 30 fps (or worse, in some cases).

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Hooker said:
With HALO2 you will get a slow frame rate regardless...
Unless the game has significant framerate problems, that is not something that should be taken into account when reviewing a game.

"OH NOZ THE GAMEPLAY IS AMAZING BUT IT DOESN'T RUN WELL ON MY PENTIUM MMX AND VOODOO2.....6.8!"

epmode

cybamerc said:
HL2 was delayed twice. First it was delayed to winter 2003. Then 2004.
i don't think it ever received an actual date after september 30th. just "winter 2003". i suppose that counts as a delay..

Hooker

If I should believe the stories from people who've played the HALO2 leak, the framerate isn't a constant 30 FPS (which in itself is too slow, but seeing how HALO is a slow moving FPS it could get away with it. I demand at least 60 though) It maintains it throughout most parts of the game but slows down at some points. Hence, that remark.

And cybamerc, it was only delayed from the September 30th 2003 date. No one has ever announced a new date since then, only speculation from major sites. This november 17th is the second date coming from VALVe's mouth, thus has it only been delayed once.

COCKLES

being watched
Need some news on the Xbox version....HL2 will jump out of my PC's disk tray in disgust once it inspects my kit. :(

Top Bottom