• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 on Xbox?

IJoel

The Gamespot article on the last hours of HL2 mentions that they are still planning to release it, not for Xbox 2, but for Xbox.

Culex

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. Of course the whole point of Half-Life and it's kin is the mods and I cannot fathom the game without a real mod system on the Xbox.

Yes, I know it's supposed to have "mods" on the Xbox, too, but come on.

SantaC

probably as exciting as doom3 on xbox. It will be released when all hype is gone. If you plan to port PC games to console might as well do a simultaneous release. But oh well, atleast xbox gets the game.

Socreges

Banned
IJoel said:
The Gamespot article on the last hours of HL2 mentions that they are still planning to release it, not for Xbox 2, but for Xbox.
Ok, good. I'm not about to upgrade my PC for one game.

Valve said a while ago that it was in development. I figure they've only been quiet to sell Xbox owners on the PC version.

snapty00

Banned
I wonder if it'll look sufficiently like the PC version.

To be honest, from what I've seen of Doom 3 for Xbox, parts of the game resemble the PC version, and other sections don't even look too good by PS2 standards.

jedimike

Tron 2: Killer App is supposed to have mods for Xbox... I just think HL2 on Xbox would be a wasted effort. Make it a Xenon launch.

rastex

Banned
jedimike said:
Tron 2: Killer App is supposed to have mods for Xbox... I just think HL2 on Xbox would be a wasted effort. Make it a Xenon launch.

Half Life 2 Gold package plus whatever top mods have come out by that time, plus a new revision of the engine released as a launch title for Xenon would be pretty ridiculously awesome. Although such a thing would be too amazing to be true, so it'll never happen.

Still got my x800 pro though, so I'm ok :)

nitewulf

ill have to be satisfied with the xbox version, if it happens. my laptop wont run it. but my main attraction to half life is the SP mode anyway, so i dont really care abt the extra stuff.

puck1337

Culex said:
I'll believe it when I see it. Of course the whole point of Half-Life and it's kin is the mods and I cannot fathom the game without a real mod system on the Xbox.

Yes, I know it's supposed to have "mods" on the Xbox, too, but come on.
I also hear that there's a "Half-Life 2" game that you can play. What's that all about? I'm sure nobody would want to play that.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The PS2 port of HL seemed quite decent from what I played. And it got good reviews. What are your complaints?

MrparisSM

Banned
firex said:
somehow I have a feeling HL2 will be an even worse port than the HL PS2 port was.

If the Xbox can handle Doom 3 reasonably, it should be able to handle Half Life 2 with no problems.... Halo 2 is proof of that aswell.

firex

It had some framerate problems in some areas, came out so much later than the PC version that anybody could buy it for PC for like $20 or less (and likely play it on their PC as well) and didn't look at all improved to warrant the pricetag. Oh, and it had a really shitty token coop add-on that was easily outdone by a basic mod that came out before the ps2 port did.

Mejilan

firex said:
It had some framerate problems in some areas, came out so much later than the PC version that anybody could buy it for PC for like $20 or less (and likely play it on their PC as well) and didn't look at all improved to warrant the pricetag. Oh, and it had a really shitty token coop add-on that was easily outdone by a basic mod that came out before the ps2 port did.

So your gripes where that it was too expensive, too unchanged from its original incarnation, and couldn't be modded? Interesting. I wound up buying it a few months ago, and of course read a crap load of reviews about it. I imagine that there were at least some people with no or weak PCs that would have enjoyed it. I do believe it was also based of DC tech.

firex

MrparisSM said:
If the Xbox can handle Doom 3 reasonably, it should be able to handle Half Life 2 with no problems.... Halo 2 is proof of that aswell.
the PS2 could have handled the original HL easily (as evidenced by it very easily handling the more technically complex deus ex); that's not the point, the point is that the port wasn't done well enough, nor did it really contain enough to make it worth buying at all.

I'm saying HL2 xbox will get as neglected as HL PS2 did.

firex

Mejilan said:
So your gripes where that it was too expensive, too unchanged from its original incarnation, and couldn't be modded? Interesting. I wound up buying it a few months ago, and of course read a crap load of reviews about it. I imagine that there were at least some people with no or weak PCs that would have enjoyed it. I do believe it was also based of DC tech.
Mostly that it was too expensive... If it had been $20 I probably wouldn't have any big complaints about it, because then it's just a $20 port that's roughly the same as the PC original.

Mejilan

Gotcha. I was just curious, I got both the PC and PS2 versions WELL beyond their prime, and both cheaply.

In fact, I believe I got HL PS2 for about 15 bucks.

M3wThr33

Banned
Mejilan said:
If your PC can't run Half-Life you have no business playing games.

Mercurial said:
Or you have a slim wallet.
or dont want to spend too much money on gaming... I was (and still am...I guess) thinking about buying PC for HL2 but I checked some prices and a ATI 9800 PRO alone was over 200 euros. :\ 1000 euros is kinda a lot to for a gaming machine. I have a laptop to do my work stuff. But PC gaming is so tempting.... argh what to do.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Project Midway said:
or dont want to spend too much money on gaming... I was (and still am...I guess) thinking about buying PC for HL2 but I checked some prices and a ATI 9800 PRO alone was over 200 euros. :\ 1000 euros is kinda a lot to for a gaming machine. I have a laptop to do my work stuff. But PC gaming is so tempting.... argh what to do.

Here in America, I can EASILY buy a new computer for under $500 (Monitor and Speakers not included) that will play Half Life 2 sexily.

Where do you live, and what are the prices like there?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jedimike said:

I'm not so sure that Half-Life 2 is good looking enough to make a big impact on the next systems. It isn't as if the new platforms are going to be shooting for current PC games in terms of quality. THAT would be pathetic and the systems would age very poorly...

They need to go way beyond that, and I think they will.

Shompola

Banned
firex said:
I'm saying HL2 xbox will get as neglected as HL PS2 did.

Ohh ok. PS2(early in its life time aswell) got a shitty version of HL and that automatically means Xbox will get a shitty one even though PC ports on Xbox are most of the time more than good and in some rare cases even great.

dark10x

Shompola said:
Ohh ok. PS2(early in its life time aswell) got a shitty version of HL and that automatically means Xbox will get a shitty one even though PC ports on Xbox are most of the time more than good and in some rare cases even great.

Especially if Valve is handling it (as the article implied). Gearbox did the DC and PS2 ports, and both were terrible. Gearbox also did a rather mediocre job on Halo PC, which had plenty of technical issues...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
snapty00 said:
I wonder if it'll look sufficiently like the PC version.

To be honest, from what I've seen of Doom 3 for Xbox, parts of the game resemble the PC version, and other sections don't even look too good by PS2 standards.

i just played doom 3 on xbox the other day, and i can assure you, the game looks incredibly good. "better than riddick" is the phrase i like to throw around.

i was one of the biggest graphics whores when it came to doom 3 and i was seriously impressed.

Badabing said:
Here in America, I can EASILY buy a new computer for under $500 (Monitor and Speakers not included) that will play Half Life 2 sexily.

Where do you live, and what are the prices like there?
I live in Finland. And this is how came to that €1000 figure:

2800+ Barton,160gb,512mb,R9600pro 128mb, dvd+-rw DL => ~€650
and since I dont have monitor.... 17" TFT is ~€350

9800 Pro would add ~€100 to the package. Anyway, how would 2800+ Barton and 9600Pro combo run HL2?

firex

Shompola said:
well, when you add in things like the lack of much attention on the xbox version of the game and the fact that it's obviously coming out after the PC launch, likely around the time that xbox 2 will be coming out... yeah, that seems pretty obvious.

chespace said:
i just played doom 3 on xbox the other day, and i can assure you, the game looks incredibly good. "better than riddick" is the phrase i like to throw around.

i was one of the biggest graphics whores when it came to doom 3 and i was seriously impressed.

So it's been improved as of late? Cause it didn't look to hot the last time screenshots were released.

dark10x

Society said:
I agree. They could do what they did for DC, make a new story also. Half Life 2:Green Shift.

They'd also need to overhaul the visuals quite a bit...

COCKLES

being watched
Days of upgrading my PC everytime a new game comes out are over...I'm simply not that hardcore anymore...sure mods are cool, but Valve seem intent on sucking the cock of DOF and CS while ignoring the TFC community, they can fuck off.

Xbox version would be nice, but I agree, a HL2 Deluxe for Xenon launch would be awesome.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Project Midway said:
I live in Finland. And this is how came to that €1000 figure:

2800+ Barton,160gb,512mb,R9600pro 128mb, dvd+-rw DL => ~€650
and since I dont have monitor.... 17" TFT is ~€350

9800 Pro would add ~€100 to the package. Anyway, how would 2800+ Barton and 9600Pro combo run HL2?

My friend has almost the exact same configuration, he said he got around 54 FPS on the stress test, which isn't all that hot. :(

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Badabing said:
My friend has almost the exact same configuration, he said he got around 54 FPS on the stress test, which isn't all that hot. :(

For comparison, I've got an Athlon 2500+, 1GB RAM & Radeon 9600xt. I get 62fps from the test @ 1024x768, 2xAA, Trilinear, all settings maxxed (Using 4.12beta Catalysts)

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Freeburn said:
For comparison, I've got an Athlon 2500+, 1GB RAM & Radeon 9600xt. I get 62fps from the test @ 1024x768, 2xAA, Trilinear, all settings maxxed (Using 4.12beta Catalysts)

The 9600xt has 256mb of RAM, right?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Operations said:
So it's been improved as of late? Cause it didn't look to hot the last time screenshots were released.

yes, it's looking much better. i wasn't particularly impressed with the E3 version, but last week, i was like, damn!

still, i got used to playing doom 3 on my pc with all those muzzle flash and plasma light mods... of course, the xbox version won't have those.

co-op and deathmatch was pretty fun over live.

bitwise

Banned
Operations said:

protip: screenshots are not always indicative of how a game actually looks in motion.

I think Half Life 2 on the Xbox will be butchered with loading screens due to only having 64 Megs of Ram. I'm sure it will still look good though by console standards.

Could you imagine how good games could look on the Xbox if it had 128 Megs of Ram? It takes so long to port games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 to give them some form of graphical polish. Look what happened to Fable.

Top Bottom