• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Online Info (new?)

DrDogg

http://www.gamedaily.com/xbox/halo2/article.asp?section=news&article_id=7567

The article was posted on Friday. It has quotes from Bungie, but since I haven't had time to keep up with all Halo 2 info, I don't know if this is new or not. Here's a couple quotes from the article.

"Through Bungie.net, we'll constantly be getting updates from players, so if a lot of people want to play WaterWorks with shotguns and grenades, we'll add that to the Playlist," said Jerrard.

"Most people will be left behind for the number one ranking on Halo 2, but because you're playing against people in the same skill level, you'll get better," said Frank O'Connor, content manager, Bungie.net. "If you pick up Counter-Strike now and try to play as a new player, you're doomed. We want the millions of players who pick up Halo 2 to have a fun experience."

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Sounds good to me. I wish EA did stuff like that in Burnout 3 so I didn't accidently join games where everyone was using Supers except me. Against that a Coupe doesn't stand a chance.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I just hope their "rankings" are better than other free ranking systems (ala Warcraft 3 and Starcraft). Those things are so horribly broken, and I'm worried this may be too.

Hopefully, they tie all your statistics to your gamertag, so you can't go around smurfing (which lots of people LOVE to do).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sounds cool, but it is gonna cause problems for people who dont play reguarly online but do know what they are doing (either through offline or playing a lot of Halo), when things are up and running theres probably gonna be a lot of c*nts who only want to play with super high ranked players.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Ghost said:
Sounds cool, but it is gonna cause problems for people who dont play reguarly online but do know what they are doing (either through offline or playing a lot of Halo), when things are up and running theres probably gonna be a lot of c*nts who only want to play with super high ranked players.

you only play with people at the same rank as you

hgplayer1

Ghost said:

I dont think youre gonna have much choice who you play against for ranked games. youll pick the game type and such but youll basically be at the mercy of the matchfinding as to which game you end up in.

DrDogg

Nerevar said:
I just hope their "rankings" are better than other free ranking systems (ala Warcraft 3 and Starcraft). Those things are so horribly broken, and I'm worried this may be too.

Hopefully, they tie all your statistics to your gamertag, so you can't go around smurfing (which lots of people LOVE to do).

While this is the biggest Xbox release... ever, somehow I still don't see them doing rankings correctly. In fact, have there been any Xbox Live games with a proper ranking structure?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If they can actually organise the online experience so I never play against some basement dweller who wears halo pyjamas, I will officially claim Halo 2 to be the greatest game ever.

Was that 4 players to one xbox playing on live rumour true? Because again, greatest game ever.

Joe

im not sure what website it was but in their hands-on article they said its not looking good for online co-op.

LAMBO

Ramirez said:
He's right about trying to start CS...I tried about a month ago for the first time and got pwned.

CS is by far the most challenging and skill based game most people will ever play. Comparing skill levels needed to start playing, Halo2 to CS is like Ace Combat to Falcon 3.0.

Anyway they'll be plenty of getting owned for new halo2 players.

Ramirez

If you ask me it was more about who had the best ping considering how quickly you die.Add some luck in there with grenades and shit,I didn't like it at all.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
LAMBO said:
Anyway they'll be plenty of getting owned for new halo2 players.

Not if Halo2 has the option of only playing similarly ranked players hopefully.

I would love to see the option to play ranked or non ranked, and for ranked games it automatches you with people say 1000 (or some arbitrary number decided by bungie) above you. then your place gains/losses are decided on the outcome.

LAMBO

Well thankfully you don't have to play within your rank(i think), i've found the only way to get better is the play with the better players and learn from them.

And CS is ping intensive no doubt (though most people seem to be very close in ping when i play), but there's plenty of players with double or triple the average ping and they do very well, CS is like fishing it's about experience. Many can't get through the frustration of learning CS, i'm very happy i did. Can't wait for source!

I also wonder if there will be a ceiling on the rankings, will the better players continue to progress in rank forever, or will there be a set top rank?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You can play ranked or unranked games, it's up to you. You can simply create an arranged match, with any rules or maps, and invite your friends. You can even spam your entire friends list with the same voice message.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Stinkles said:
You can play ranked or unranked games, it's up to you. You can simply create an arranged match, with any rules or maps, and invite your friends. You can even spam your entire friends list with the same voice message.
Thank you for the confirmation mr. anonymous internet man.

I know it's very safe to assume you can play rank and also unranked games simply due to common sense but you seem like you know something.

epmode

TekunoRobby said:
Thank you for the confirmation mr. anonymous internet man.

I know it's very safe to assume you can play rank and also unranked games simply due to common sense but you seem like you know something.
doesn't he work for bungie? or was it ign.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
GameDaily said:
There are a lot of options to multiplayer. The two main categories are Matchmaking Games and the Party System. With Matchmaking, Bungie will have a variety of Playlists, which they'll change up from week to week. These lists will vary depending on fan input and will include specific types of games like "Warthogs on WaterWorks" and "Swords Only on Lockout." The Playlists will be divided into categories like Free For All, Small Group and Large Group with each category featuring about a half-dozen games. Bungie.net Community Manager Brian Jerrard said that when they go Live November 9, there will be between three and 15 Playlists available.

"Through Bungie.net, we'll constantly be getting updates from players, so if a lot of people want to play WaterWorks with shotguns and grenades, we'll add that to the Playlist," said Jerrard.

I'm sorry for being stupid but I didn't quite grasp that passage. Does it mean that we can't manually create our own playlists but have to depend on Bungie to see what they've thought up for that specific week? Or is this something Bungie created to make game creation much easier by simply choosing a playlist and launching a game instead of meddling with the match options for a half hour?

Stinkles, inquiring minds want to know! Where be work you?

EDIT: Thanks epmode!

epmode

TekunoRobby said:
I'm sorry for being stupid but I didn't quite grasp that passage. Does it mean that we can't manually create our own playlists but have to depend on Bungie to see what they've thought up for that specific week? Or is this something Bungie created to make game creation much easier by simply choosing a playlist and launching a game instead of meddling with the match options for a half hour?

Stinkles, inquiring minds want to know! Where be work you?
the playlists only apply for ranked games. unranked can be altered to you heart's content, or so the ign preview states.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"If you pick up Counter-Strike now and try to play as a new player, you're doomed. We want the millions of players who pick up Halo 2 to have a fun experience."

HOW DARE bungie suggest that i'll have a good time. Context doesn't matter. Arrogant pricks. I will not buy this game. I feel insulted.

Joe

if you want to play ranked games you have to play according to pre-set playlists which change maps, weapon sets, and gametypes.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Joe said:
if you want to play ranked games you have to play according to pre-set playlists which change maps, weapon sets, and gametypes.

I like that idea. play a bunch of unranked games and get good, then take a shot at a ranked one. Of course that will allow for good players to only play ranked on levels that suit them, but I guess then they won't move up as fast.

Joe

i hope the postgame carnage report takes into consideration assists and deaths not ranking you just based on kills.

(i love saying postgame carnage report btw)

GhaleonEB

catfish said:
I like that idea. play a bunch of unranked games and get good, then take a shot at a ranked one. Of course that will allow for good players to only play ranked on levels that suit them, but I guess then they won't move up as fast.

Actually, when you pick a ranked game you pick the general category (large team, small team, all vs.), but you don't get to pick the map or exact type. This creates a ranking system which forces players to be ranked on their overall skill, not just on the maps they are good at. I for one think it's great.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Actually, when you pick a ranked game you pick the general category (large team, small team, all vs.), but you don't get to pick the map or exact type. This creates a ranking system which forces players to be ranked on their overall skill, not just on the maps they are good at. I for one think it's great.

even better.

I also hope the in game scoring is better as well, because I always like to see how well I'm doing, but whenever someone grabs a flag, they automatically take top spot, if they are close to you with kills, then that used to suck cause you can no longer tell whos doing better.

also labels based on performance and weapon selection would be great. i.e high kills low deaths gets you the best label, but high kills high deaths gets you something else.

catfish said:
even better.

I also hope the in game scoring is better as well, because I always like to see how well I'm doing, but whenever someone grabs a flag, they automatically take top spot, if they are close to you with kills, then that used to suck cause you can no longer tell whos doing better.

I figure that rewards actually going for the game objective instead of being "I'm going to kill everyone screw the game" that it could easily fall into. It would be nice if there were added points for assisting roles such as supporting the carrier or returning the flag for instance.

GhaleonEB

catfish said:
even better.

also labels based on performance and weapon selection would be great. i.e high kills low deaths gets you the best label, but high kills high deaths gets you something else.

The stat tracking is just insane. Through Bungie.net, the game will track everything that happens in a game, and your cumulative total. How many Needler kills you have, how many vehicles and which ones you've jacked, and how many times.

And of course, how many times you've been killed, by who and how many times, with what, etc. You'll be able to look at player's weaknesses and stregths. (this guy is great with a Warthog, but a crappy sniper, etc)

That's what I love about the ranking system. I'm great with rockets but a crappy sniper. I can't just get to the top of the rankings by playing on one map and one gametype - I'll have to be well rounded, and win on all the levels and gametypes. I hooted out loud when I read the details of the ranking system. I was afraid of the Counter Strike syndrome, wherein my plans to play campaign for a while before going online would result in instant death because I would then be facing more experienced players. Not anymore. :)

Joe

op_ivy said:
you only play with people at the same rank as you
just to clear it up a little, that only applies to ranked games. you can play unranked games any way you want with whoever you want.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
DopeyFish said:
how crude. It's actually the GA ARMY

Fuck yeah! :lol

No seriously, we've got enough dudes, a GA clan wouldn't be a bad idea. We tried it in UT2K4, but so few people play now haha.

Joe

how about...
GA SQUAD (GAS)

GA PLATOON (GAP)

GA DIVISION, GA UNIT

we gotta start organizing soon :p

op_ivy

hgplayer1 said:
guess Ill never get the chance to play against you. :(

i'll make sure we get to play. after all the trouble we spent bothering with xbox connect, you can be damned sure we'll meet up on live. and you can bet i'll be on live MUCH more often once halo 2 hits... my girlfriend will hate me :p

op_ivy said:
my girlfriend will hate me :p

Heh I'm already there in regards to Halo 2. I think Halo is growing on her (She holds her own in Rocket games such as Capture the Rocket) though so there is still hope.

op_ivy

Mr. Lemming said:
Heh I'm already there in regards to Halo 2. I think Halo is growing on her (She holds her own in Rocket games such as Capture the Rocket) though so there is still hope.

lol, at least she'll play halo. the best i can do is get my girlfriend to play ddr (which i'm not much of a fan of) and occasionally (rarely) frogger or something :p

she does read up on my halo 2 material in the bathroom though (old egm, gameinformer, etc, issues), so occasionally she'll ask about duel weilding and shit LOL

Top Bottom