• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Original Soundtrack CD Impressions

Not a bad little disc...great rocking songs from Breaking Benjamin and Hoobastank (I can't believe I just said that). Incubus' "Follow (1st Movement of the Odyssey)" was good as well, but the rest of the "movements" are horrible.

The real gems are Tracks 3-7(Peril, Ghosts of Reach, Heretic Hero, Flawed Legacy, Impend). Also, the album insert,
much like the games' manual, is written from the perspective of the Covenant.

Anyone else get this yet?

IJoel

The entire soundtrack, sans the awful pop tracks, is great.

My favorites: Ghosts of Reach, Heavy Price Paid and, Earth City

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heavy Price Paid is probably my favorite track. I like the piano

All tracks composed by Marty are great. Can't say the same for the pop tracks though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pretty good soundtrack, but I was hoping for more original Marty tracks...

Hopefully they really DO follow up with a Volume 2 and give us ALL of the actual game music...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Aside from the title theme, I didn't like the first Halo's soundtrack. Will this change my mind?

Mejilan said:
Aside from the title theme, I didn't like the first Halo's soundtrack. Will this change my mind?

I don't think so, at least not with your current avatar. Switch to an Xbox-related avatar and I think your enjoyment will increase. ;)

Matlock

Banned
From what I sampled offa the NileRogers website, it sounds pretty good. May pick it up this week if the price is right at Target.

dark10x

Mejilan said:

I dunno...

Marty's music is unique. Have you listend to the Myth soundtracks as well? You either like his stuff or you don't. I've always been a fan of his works, though (well before Bungie was so well known). He's done other non-Bungie projects too (such as Riven)...

I'm shocked that you didn't like Halo's music IN GAME, though. I thought that Halo put the music to use better than any FPS ever made...

Of course, I just can't but believe that you are just too obsessed with "rocking" game music. :p I love that kind of stuff too, but I need variety.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The Breaking Benjamin song rocks in the game, i recognised it instantly, i was almost happy to keep dying in that room. Were any of the other non-marty tracks in the game?

Mejilan

DJ Demon J said:
I don't think so, at least not with your current avatar. Switch to an Xbox-related avatar and I think your enjoyment will increase. ;)

Now that's just plain unfair. :D I've got a 40 gb iPod FILLED with (primarily) VGM, and only a fraction of it revolves around Nintendo games. (Though yes, I do have most of the LoZ albums, but they're some of Koji Kondo's best...)

Dark:

I've played the first two Myst games. I found the music in those (and in Halo) to be mostly boring.

To be fair, though, I only listened to the Halo OST perhaps twice. I think I'll drop it back into the iPod, give it a few more whirls, and re-evaluate. I don't go for ONLY "rocking" music. (Pop tracks do make me cry, though.)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dark10x said:
Pretty good soundtrack, but I was hoping for more original Marty tracks...

Hopefully they really DO follow up with a Volume 2 and give us ALL of the actual game music...

Didn't they already confirm a volume two with all original compositions on the CD?

Screaming_Gremlin said:
About how much of the album's music is by Marty and how much is from other musicians?

21 songs total; 4 from Incubus, 1 from Breaking Benjamin, 1 from Hoobastank. The rest are Marty.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
About half of it is the score, the other half is pop stuff + an interesting Halo 'techno' remix... (in terms of time, not number of tracks)

~69 minutes total run time

The Marty tracks are pretty short, while the Incubus tracks last up to 9 minutes...sheesh

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DJ Demon J said:
21 songs total; 4 from Incubus, 1 from Breaking Benjamin, 1 from Hoobastank. The rest are Marty.

Is the instrumental version of the breaking benjamin song on there?

Drakken

Ghost said:
The Breaking Benjamin song rocks in the game, i recognised it instantly, i was almost happy to keep dying in that room. Were any of the other non-marty tracks in the game?

Wait, that song is actually in the game, during gameplay? Interesting.

Sean

Banned
The only track i did not like was #9 (Never Surrender). Marty O Donnell's songs were absolutely fantastic though, especially "Heavy Price Paid".

Does anyone know if the second CD is going to have ALL of Marty's songs from Halo 2 or will it be just the remaining ones that weren't included on Volume 1?

Rahul

DJ Demon J said:
but the rest of the "movements" are horrible.

I love the rest of the movements, it's classic instrumental Incubus stuff like they used to do around the time of their SCIENCE album. Sounds like the Flood music in Halo 1.

Lakitu

st5fu
Amazing soundtrack :D (not including the pop tracks).

I have a question though, does anybody recall the track playing at the beginning of the E3 2004 MS press conference multi-player showcase? That rocked, but it's not on there, it's in there some form, the beginning of it is at the start of the Breaking Benjamin song :\

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lakitu said:
Amazing soundtrack :D (not including the pop tracks).

I have a question though, does anybody recall the track playing at the beginning of the E3 2004 MS press conference multi-player showcase? That rocked, but it's not on there, it's in there some form, the beginning of it is at the start of the Breaking Benjamin song :\

remember, this is only volume 1. There's at least 1 song from Halo 2 that didn't make the cut that absolutely shatters everything on volume 1. It should make volume 2 if it was included in the game.

dark10x

Prince of Space said:
As in the sequel to Myst? No he didn't; Robyn Miller did that game.

Yes, he did the music (or at least some of it).

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,12183/

Games Credited
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001), Microsoft
Oni (2001), Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator (1999), Monolith Productions, Inc.
Myth II: Soulblighter (1998), Bungie Studios
Myth: The Fallen Lords (1997), Eidos Interactive
Riven: The Sequel to Myst (1997), Brøderbund
Alien Breed 3D (1995), Ocean, Team 17
Worms (1995), Ocean

He is credited for the music on the soundtrack of Riven that I have as well. Robyn Miller did the original score for Myst, however.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Being completely off topic

Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 now they are games with great music

And the best voice acting ever to boot!

dark10x

Do The Mario said:
Being completely off topic

Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 now they are games with great music

And the best voice acting ever to boot!

That was utterly random...

Michael Hoenig did a great job scoring those games, I'd say, but there are tons of games with great music. What made you just select those two? :p They have nothing to do with Marty and crew...

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
That was utterly random...

Michael Hoenig did a great job scoring those games, I'd say, but there are tons of games with great music. What made you just select those two? :p They have nothing to do with Marty and crew...

I just love the music is the BG games I picked up a copy of the original saga because it came with the BG1 soundtrack.

What makes the music in the BG even greater is the sound was coming out of my crap PC speakers, I just shudder to think how great it would be if the music was coming out of my stereo!

God I need Baldur’s gate 3

Sander

I love Peril. Despite the name it sounds rather lighthearted compared to the other serious/bombastic/epic tracks (which are great as well). That Niles Rodgers song is horrible, ugh.

halo_mombasa_tkowned.gif

what the heck?

anyway, where can you get the soundtrack? Wasn't it in the Target or TRU flyer?

|
v
ok, how about this question: what happened there? is there a story behind it (other than 'don't team-kill')?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
bune duggy said:
halo_mombasa_tkowned.gif

what the heck?

anyway, where can you get the soundtrack? Wasn't it in the Target or TRU flyer?

|
v
ok, how about this question: what happened there? is there a story behind it (other than 'don't team-kill')?

$12.99 at Circuit City I believe. Cheapest price I can find

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I actually found myself preferring the soundtrack from the Homefront battlefield mod, music by Edgen.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

Mejilan

Listened to the Halo 1 OST again and about half of the Halo 2 Volume 1 OST.

I had two thoughts.

The pop music sucks and needs to go.

The original music is still boring.

Makes for GREAT reading-listening, however.

Top Bottom