• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 takes no.1 spot in UK weekly charts

Deg

Banned
http://www.charttrack.co.uk/html/uk/Software charts/Ent Software (All Prices).htm

Nowhere near GTASA's debut however but still huge. WWE takes over Fifa.

Microsoft/Bungie's 'Halo 2' (Xbox) dethrones Rockstar North/Take 2's 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' (PS2) to become king of the Entertainment Software Top 40 with the 3rd biggest UK sales week ever (behind Vice City and San Andreas). 'Halo 2' is now the UK's 3rd biggest selling Xbox game of all time with only 3 days of sales under its belt (approximate total UK sales of 260,000 units/£9.7m). An estimated 1 in 6 Xbox owners bought a copy of 'Halo 2' compared to 1 in 10 PS2 owners who bought a copy of 'San Andreas'. 'San Andreas' falls back to No2 followed by THQ's 'WWE Smackdown! Vs Raw' (PS2), a new entry at No3. It is a bumper week for new releases with a total of 11 new titles entering the Entertainment Software Top 40, the next highest of which is Sony's 'The Getaway: Black Monday' (PS2) which debuts at No6, in the same week that the original finds itself knocked off its position as the 3rd fastest-selling game in the UK by 'Halo 2'. EA's 'The Urbz: Sims in the City' (PS2/XB/GBA/GC) enters at No10 while Sony claims the next 2 new entries with 'Eye Toy: Play 2' (PS2) at No 16 (in its second sales week) and 'Ratchet and Clank 3' (PS2) debuting at No17. THQ's multi-format movie tie-in 'The Incredibles' enters the Top 40 at No23, 2 places ahead of Ubisoft's acclaimed MMORPG 'Everquest II' (PC) new at No25.

Gregory

Banned
That`s pretty sucky numbers. It propably did around 500K overall in Europe and I think it will struggle to get over 1 million.

EDIT: 260k?

WOW. Incredible numbers. The first is less that 330k, so this is like ~2/3rds.

That's almost the same percentage as 2.3 million in the US/Canada vs 3.whatever Halo has sold on NPD. Nice job.

Prine

Banned
For uk numbers, and on xbox, those are very impressive numbers. Should hit a million after christmas

Deg

Banned
Its very good for the UK. Its worth pointing out that Xbox isnt PS2. Over here MOH Frontline sold like 700k+

Solid

UK SUCKS! ALL THEY EAT IS FISH N' SHIPS! BOLLOCKS!

Nah, but seriously, good numbers. I'm glad people gave in to the hype, cause the game delivered :)

Deg

Banned
Prine said:
For uk numbers, and on xbox, those are very impressive numbers. Should hit a million after christmas

In your dreams. Halo 1 has done nearly 400k lifetime.

LukeSmith

Gregory said:
That`s pretty sucky numbers. It propably did around 500K overall in Europe and I think it will struggle to get over 1 million.

A. You can't read, can you?
B. Or you can read, and don't understand sales figures?

Choose one: A or B.

u_neek

... 3rd biggest UK sales week ever (behind Vice City and San Andreas). 'Halo 2' is now the UK's 3rd biggest selling Xbox game of all time with only 3 days of sales under its belt (approximate total UK sales of 260,000 units/£9.7m).

Impressive!

Gregory

Banned
Scoot said:
A. You can't read, can you?
B. Or you can read, and don't understand sales figures?

Choose one: A or B.

Um, 260K in UK means propably 500K in Europe so far. You don`t agree with that? Halo has sold less than 400K in UK, which is by far Xbox` biggest market in EU.

It`s certainly not impossible that it won`t sell over 1 million in Europe when all is said and done. I think Halo 1 has barely sold more than 1 million here.

Gregory said:
Um, 260K in UK means propably 500K in Europe so far. You don`t agree with that? Halo has sold less than 400K in UK, which is by far Xbox` biggest market in EU.

It`s certainly not impossible that it won`t sell over 1 million in Europe when all is said and done. I think Halo 1 has barely sold more than 1 million here.

:lol

It's impossible. That's only 3 days of sales. I swear. Some people honestly believe that once those 3 days are over, it's not going to sell any more copies ever.

Close the shop boys, we're done.

Gregory

Banned
Nah, the drop is gonna be huge. There`s no way Halo 2 will sell more than the first one, especially with the somewhat bad word of mouth going on. I see lots of pissed off gamers on mainstream forums. It will not have the legs of Halo that`s for sure.

With Halo barely breaking 1 million in Europe, I don`t see Halo 2 doing any better.

COCKLES

being watched
Soul4ger said:
Heh heh, fish 'n ships...

I prefer Savaloy 'n Chips.

:p

UK/Europe is more GTA country. Halo franchise doesn't really have the appeal in Europe it does in the states where it's a phenom.

shpankey

not an idiot
sonycowboy said:
:lol

It's impossible. That's only 3 days of sales. I swear. Some people honestly believe that once those 3 days are over, it's not going to sell any more copies ever.

Close the shop boys, we're done.
:lol so true

Gregory

Banned
COCKLES said:
I prefer Savaloy 'n Chips.

:p

UK/Europe is more GTA country. Halo franchise doesn't really have the appeal in Europe it does in the states where it's a phenom.

Exactly. People overestimate Halo`s popularity here.

Gregory

Banned
DopeyFish said:
If Halo sold 5 million worldwide, 3.3 being in USA... Where'd the other 1.7 go? Certainly not asia :p

Well, with less than 400K in UK, I really doubt it sold 1.3 million in rest of Europe. Either it sold a lot in Korea or something or those numbers are wrong.

Chi-Town

Gregory said:

Halo 2 STILL had the 3rd biggest weekly sales for this generation and the 2 games that did better are on a system with a much larger installed base.

Gregory

Banned
Chi-Town said:
Halo 2 STILL had the 3rd biggest weekly sales for this generation and the 2 games that did better are on a system with a much larger installed base.

Yes, because of hype and loyal Halo fans. It will drop hard though. Fable is already out of the Top 40 for example.
But we`ll see.

bitwise

Banned
Gregory said:

i remember you, you were the guy who said that halo2 will end up selling less than Killzone in Europe. What do you have against xbox that makes you say such ridiculous things

Koshiro

Ok as people know I'm a UKian, and I must say that anything knocking a GTA off the top spot is something of a miracle. Nice going Halo 2. See you at number 36 next week. :( :lol

Mrbob

Gregory said:
Nah, the drop is gonna be huge. There`s no way Halo 2 will sell more than the first one, especially with the somewhat bad word of mouth going on. I see lots of pissed off gamers on mainstream forums. It will not have the legs of Halo that`s for sure.

With Halo barely breaking 1 million in Europe, I don`t see Halo 2 doing any better.

:lol :lol :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The Getaway: Black Monday came out in EU already? Who the hell knew?

Koshiro said:
Ok as people know I'm a UKian, and I must say that anything knocking a GTA off the top spot is something of a miracle. Nice going Halo 2. See you at number 36 next week. :( :lol

It'll easily be in the top 5 and I'd be absolutely shocked if it isn't #2. Although, the UK does enjoy the Getaway and it's footy games :)

Koshiro

sonycowboy said:
It'll easily be in the top 5 and I'd be absolutely shocked if it isn't #2. Although, the UK does enjoy the Getaway and it's footy games :)
I was exaggerating no doubt, but I'm pretty certain it wont be number one (I suspect GTA:SA will get that back).

Gregory

Banned
bitwise said:
i remember you, you were the guy who said that halo2 will end up selling less than Killzone in Europe. What do you have against xbox that makes you say such ridiculous things

I have nothing against Xbox, I have Halo 2 LE myself. I`m trying to be realistic though. And yes, i still think Killzone will beat Halo 2 in Europe. It`s getting great reviews in most Euro press/magazines, and the hype for it is pretty big.

bitwise

Banned
Gregory said:
I have nothing against Xbox, I have Halo 2 LE myself. I`m trying to be realistic though. And yes, i still think Killzone will beat Halo 2 in Europe. It`s getting great reviews in most Euro press/magazines, and the hype for it is pretty big.

hmm when does it release? that would be interesting.

'Halo 2' is now the UK's 3rd biggest selling Xbox game of all time with only 3 days of sales under its belt...

How many copies of GTA: SA were sold in the UK after a week? Seems that Halo 2 could come within a few hundred thousand copies of it's mark.

Top Bottom