• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: Let's play BOUNCE JOUST

Sho Nuff

Banned
B-B-BAM!!!

15wnko.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you...BOUNCE JOUST. It's all about jumping and jousting...20 miles in the air! There's nothing else like it in Halo. (Well, if there is, I certainly haven't seen it.) We have been playing the crap out of it, and it's now yours in its GAF-approved glory. Grab the Joust Narrows map and the two gametypes here.

GOAL
Your goal in Bounce Joust is to get as many midair kills as humanly possible. The game is played on the boost pad area of Narrows, which has some interesting additions -- when you enter a boost pad, you will fly through the air, then land into a teleporter THAT WILL INSTANTLY WARP YOU BACK AND BOOST YOU AGAIN. I call this the "Boost Loop." Your goal is to meet your opponent mid-jump and knock them into next Thursday with your gravity hammer.

The end result is midair insanity as vehicles, players, vehicles, and bodies gracefully arc through the air. You have no choice but to JOUST!

MAP FEATURES
Players on vehicles do NOT teleport -- so Gravity Lifts are present to bounce vehicles, deployable items, etc back and forth between the boost pads. This will allow you to get into a Mongoose or Ghost, and happily bounce back and forth between sides until you splatter someone...or they drop the hammer on you.

The teleporter right next to the boost pad will warp you to the other side (makes it easier to set up jousts for one-on-one).

You can escape the boost loop by holding hard right as soon as you start flying through the air.

Try throwing a trip mine or bubble shield into the Boost Loop!

VARIANT FEATURES
You spawn with a hammer and no shield -- this allows for a clear victor in midair skirmishes.

You are not penalized for falling to your death or suicides, and respawn times are fast.

My only wish is that the game included a "Midair Kill Bonus" under Slayer Scoring to discourage kills on the ground.

syl02e.jpg

Aieeeeeeeeeeee!!!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Some more screens

WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
34zzxg5.jpg

Ghost ride the whip!
3006uxz.jpg

LAZERER!!
x0ra7b.jpg

LAZEREE!
2wq8qki.jpg

More LAZERIN'
2hzpjys.jpg

Uh oh...

2h710qw.jpg

Thaedolus

I want to play I want to play I want to play!

Gamertag: Thaedolus

I guess I have to download this somewheres?

Sho Nuff

Banned
The problem I found is that it's hard to enforce kills in the air only -- I can't seem to find a way to make the player invincible in certain zones. I had to boot a guy who was camping and shooting people with rockets as soon as they respawned.

Tieno

Sho Nuff said:
The problem I found is that it's hard to enforce kills in the air only -- I can't seem to find a way to make the player invincible in certain zones. I had to boot a guy who was camping and shooting people with rockets as soon as they respawned.
With king of the hill gametype you can make it so you can only kill people (while) in the demarcated hill zone. Maybe experiment with that a bit?

Thaedolus

Sho Nuff said:

Yeah, I got that one swing triple kill on the ground because as soon as I spawned there were people fighting everywhere, so I took a swing as I ran toward the jump and got three kills out of it :lol

But it'd be nice not to get hit in the back as you're running toward the jumper, as some of the peoples are prone to do...

Penguin

Sho Nuff said:

Wait why are their rockets in the stage?

Shouldn't it just be like swords and hammers?

And I will try this out later.

Pretty cool idea:lol I'd like to get in on some of the action. I still need to try out Infection and Rocket Race as well. So invite me and ILOVEASIANS sometime when you guys get a GAF game going.

Tieno said:
With king of the hill gametype you can make it so you can only kill people (while) in the demarcated hill zone. Maybe experiment with that a bit?
Yea, a midair hill could solve that problem. I can't think of trait possibilities off the top of my head (like when I thought there was a way to turn on friendly fire for zombies. :( ), but you could set players out of the hill/on the ground to deal no damage and be invulnerable. But you'd still have people dying down there from assassinations, which I have yet to find how to cease.

traveler

Not Wario
This looks really cool and all, don't get me wrong, but why did it get its own thread instead of going in the general Forge and custom gametypes thread?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
traveler said:
This looks really cool and all, don't get me wrong, but why did it get its own thread instead of going in the general Forge and custom gametypes thread?

Because the online forum has like what, 8 threads that people actually post in? Whats the point in having a forum thats nothing but megathreads?

Penguin

Just played this mode.
And now watching video of it.

May not have much of a point.
But this is one hell of a mode.

I do think turning down gravity so have a better chance of making it to other side after killing people would be cool.

traveler

Not Wario
sp0rsk said:
Because the online forum has like what, 8 threads that people actually post in? Whats the point in having a forum thats nothing but megathreads?

Hey, you're the boss. Whatever. Just saying.

Some of us want our Forge gametypes noticed as well but we don't make whole threads devoted to them. :(

Top Bottom