• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
"343 is exploring future episodic storytelling endeavors in the Halo universe."

It's almost like they're making... a TV show...
Its possible. Wouldn't be surprised really.
Edit: Doesn't appear the show will make it before Halo 5 based on recent news regarding Xbox One programming set back. But that position for episodic content producer can possibly refer to both medias.

Also:
Video game documentary series
Would be cool if they focus it on Halo, Destiny, and No Man's Sky, etc.

Tawpgun

If you copy/pasted the Far Cry 2 level editor into forge it would be absolutely.. wasteful

just watched the vid Ply posted in wishlist, and as a forger, only about half of that looked useful.

Halo doesnt work with "realistic" terrain
thats the point of Arena Shooters, the artists try their best to make the maps look like they make sense.. but at the end of the day, we are 7 foot space mutants jumping 10 feet in the air.

real doors, bridges, cars, etc just dont make sense, yeah weather and stuff like that seems great, object painting sounds wonderful

Geometry is the best way to go for Forge, basic shapes are all we need, they just (could be*) improved

I dont want organic maps. Go find all the best Halo maps ever and tell me how many of them have trees, hills, water, shit like that (Backwash)

Foundation, Lockout, Guardian, the maps that people jizz themselves over are just inter woven platforms and ramps

* minority of population, cares about forge, they sell the game to 10+ million players, how many use forge? (raises hand with a sad face)
unfortunate, but I understand that my favorite feature set isnt in the spotlight

edit: Im packing up my entire house and am stressing the fuck out, so apologies if there are leaps in logic/typos

Just because you can't think of a way to use a proper map editor doesn't mean other people won't be able to do amazing things with it.

I just had a fucking brilliant idea:

Halo: Reach power hour

Think about it.
Take a drink everytime Bungie's retarded 100% bloom fucks you over?

Booties

Banned
Bloom really was the worst. I honestly think jetpack, active camo, and even armor lock would have been well received changes to the franchise if they weren't constantly paired with 100% bloom. It's totally random. A shieldless enemy run away and you put 3 more shots on their back. They die like 30% of the time. It makes no sense.

Tawpgun

Bloom really was the worst. I honestly think jetpack, active camo, and even armor lock would have been well received changes to the franchise if they weren't constantly paired with 100% bloom. It's totally random. A shieldless enemy run away and you put 3 more shots on their back. They die like 30% of the time. It makes no sense.

umm no. Especially not armor lock.

What is your favorite moment in Halo, be it in novels, games or any kind of media?

You haven’t seen it yet. But I have.

I don't know, Frank. It's going to be really tough to top Will's death in Ghosts of Onyx.

And by really tough I mean pretty much impossible. I remember reading that part for the first time and dropping my book on the floor and walking out of the room like I was Eminem in 8 Mile. Come on.

daedalius

I don't know, Frank. It's going to be really tough to top Will's death in Ghosts of Onyx.

And by really tough I mean pretty much impossible. I remember reading that part for the first time and dropping my book on the floor and walking out of the room like I was Eminem in 8 Mile. Come on.

That part was so great, where they heck are those Spartans? We get Palmer instead, smh.

Probably with get Spartan Assault on Xbone, hopefully they've refined the controls a bit to work with a gamepad since it was pretty shoddy on Win8 and I really didn't like the controls on my surface.

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody was posting and raving about this:

Any chance of an in-game ranking system in Halo Xbox One?
- FroZeN 4S

There’s always a chance.

It's not a big deal to me, but I know it is to some people.

EDIT:
What is the chance of seeing more books like Evolutions?

Reasonable.
MbMVQ3d.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
Bloom is the worst I agree, though Jetpack, armor lock and AC as AAs are also absolute shit...as pickups? Other thing

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oh, and I'm surprised nobody was posting and raving about this:

It's not a big deal to me, but I know it is to some people.

EDIT:

MbMVQ3d.gif

I consider it a given at this point. You don't bring on Josh Menke to do nothing. You bring him on to design the next Gen ranking and matchmaking system.

Karl2177

Halo 4 has bloom on what, 2 weapons? The game is bad, and it has armor abilities. So I don't think the bloom is the root of the problem, so much as the unknown abilities granted to the player.

It's surprising how we were able to tolerate 100% Bungie bloom, and the worst armor abilities for as long as we did.

Booties

Banned
Halo 4 has bloom on what, 2 weapons? The game is bad, and it has armor abilities. So I don't think the bloom is the root of the problem, so much as the unknown abilities granted to the player.

It's surprising how we were able to tolerate 100% Bungie bloom, and the worst armor abilities for as long as we did.

That's because sprint wasn't automatic, zoom wasn't toggled, flinch didn't exist, game types weren't butchered and removed, and etc. AAs are bad, but there are a lot of differences between reach and 4 that made 4 absolutely intolerable.

HGS IS DOWN! #hireEvillore

Tawpgun

Reach still had some classical Halo elements to it that made its piss poor gunplay tolerable.

Halo 4 fixed the gunplay but removed classical halo elements.

Fracas

#fuckonami
100% bloom Reach is still shit mountain, but there's at least Halo mainstays present. I still consider zero bloom MLG settings to be quite good, although there's only so much you can do with Reach's sandbox.

edit: ^that basically.

Striker

Reach had great shot feedback. You had to take the good with the bad (bloom) for it, though. Halo 4's lacked and had flinch on top of it.

Booties

Banned
Reach had great shot feedback. You had to take the good with the bad (bloom) for it, though. Halo 4's lacked and had flinch on top of it.

Yeah, nothing was more jarring in the first week of halo 4 than the feedback. I couldn't even tell if I was being hit with bullets or not.

I consider it a given at this point. You don't bring on Josh Menke to do nothing. You bring him on to design the next Gen ranking and matchmaking system.

Just looked up who he is. So he worked at Blizzard and did some stuff there?

Judging by your post, he's a pretty big catch for 343?

Mistel

Banned
Starcraft 2's ranking system would be better than the old 1-50 any day of the week.

With people split in skill division representing their kill to death or win to loss ratio like arena in reach? Any ranking system will run into issues that can be exploited to manipulate their positioning and gain rank faster.
Starcarft does the ladder thing right? I'm not to familiar with how exactly it works specifically but I understand its win to loss based

Tashi

Just looked up who he is. So he worked at Blizzard and did some stuff there?

Judging by your post, he's a pretty big catch for 343?

Pretty huge. From what I understand he's a major player responsible for StarCraft 2's matchmaking and ranking system.

With people split in skill division representing their kill to death or win to loss ratio like arena in reach? Any ranking system will run into issues that can be exploited to manipulate their positioning and gain rank faster.
Starcarft does the ladder thing right? I'm not to familiar with how exactly it works specifically but I understand its win to loss based

Basically it's win/loss based. But there are some small details that really make it great. So it goes by Seasons that last a few months. The ranks are separated by Divisions. Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Master-GrandMaster(Top 200) per region (NA, EU, Korea) Basically depending on which region you decide to play in you get a different rank.

So you get your divisional ranking and that's the good way to tell someones rank at the surface. "I'm gold, Terran" or "I'm Silver Protoss" Within those divisions however, players are randomly placed in ladders of 100 other players. Based on your matchup(slightly better than, equal, slightly worse than) you win or lose a certain amount of points depending on the outcome. The points are used to rank you in that ladder. You've got the micro goal of reaching the top of the ladder but then the macro goal of getting into the next division. When you're losing a lot, you drop in the ladder and start matching people in the division below you. The opposite is true, if you're winning a lot you'll start matching people in the division above. When the game decides, you're then promoted or demoted. You don't have to be at the top or bottom of the ladder to get promoted or demoted.

One brilliant thing about the system is the bonus points. If you don't play for a little while you accumulate bonus points(there's a limit). What they do is basically help get you back to the rank where you once were. You still have to win to put the bonus points to use but it makes going back to the game after a break or whatever much friendlier and even appealing.

And then it does this for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 with mixed parties and all that stuff. Then he also dealt with how players are matched behind the scenes. It's all super interesting stuff.

Pretty huge. From what I understand he's a major player responsible for StarCraft 2's matchmaking and ranking system.

Basically it's win/loss based. But there are some small details that really make it great. So it goes by Seasons that last a few months. The ranks are separated by Divisions. Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Master-GrandMaster(Top 200) per region (NA, EU, Korea) Basically depending on which region you decide to play in you get a different rank.

So you get your divisional ranking and that's the good way to tell someones rank at the surface. "I'm gold, Terran" or "I'm Silver Protoss" Within those divisions however, players are randomly placed in ladders of 100 other players. Based on your matchup(slightly better than, equal, slightly worse than) you win or lose a certain amount of points depending on the outcome. The points are used to rank you in that ladder. You've got the micro goal of reaching the top of the ladder but then the macro goal of getting into the next division. When you're losing a lot, you drop in the ladder and start matching people in the division below you. The opposite is true, if you're winning a lot you'll start matching people in the division above. When the game decides, you're then promoted or demoted. You don't have to be at the top or bottom of the ladder to get promoted or demoted.

One brilliant thing about the system is the bonus points. If you don't play for a little while you accumulate bonus points(there's a limit). What they do is basically help get you back to the rank where you once were. You still have to win to put the bonus points to use but it makes going back to the game after a break or whatever much friendlier and even appealing.

And then it does this for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 with mixed parties and all that stuff. Then he also dealt with how players are matched behind the scenes. It's all super interesting stuff.

Okay, fine, I'm semi-hyped against all odds.

Fuchsdh

You get sorted into leagues based on percentile and ladders within those league divisions.

TheOddOne

Want to see more investment systems that are not based around XP. I would not even mind a quirky-never-been-done before kind of investment system. Might even spark some new life into a misguided and homogenized subsystem on consoles. PC front has at least experimented with very different reward systems through the years.

He should have written a giant in-depth preview of all the in-game systems.

Oh man, I really need to save money for the console

If you need someone to capture your clips, send them to Ozzy Onya A2Z. If you've already captured your stuff, upload it on dropbox or mediafire and send it to me. You can use Reach and Halo 3 clips too.

Oh, thanks I forogot how to link clips but I will figure out somehow

Mistel

Banned
Based on your matchup(slightly better than, equal, slightly worse than) you win or lose a certain amount of points depending on the outcome. The points are used to rank you in that ladder. You've got the micro goal of reaching the top of the ladder but then the macro goal of getting into the next division. When you're losing a lot, you drop in the ladder and start matching people in the division below you. The opposite is true, if you're winning a lot you'll start matching people in the division above. When the game decides, you're then promoted or demoted. You don't have to be at the top or bottom of the ladder to get promoted or demoted.

That sounds amazing if he designs the matchmaking it could eliminate the prevalence of unbalanced matches. A division based system would make competitive and fun matches more common.

Tashi

Almost 26" tall and only 100 made. Damn, so limited. Almost as limited as the Legendary Halo Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom