• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Karl2177

"I've been in service for eight threads, OTs only last for seven."
"I will not allow you to leave this thread!" -(used for Halo OT6)
"I have long dreamt of this day, NeoGAF" -(Ghal was considering it for the Halo 4 OT)
"Requiem for a dream"

That's the top of my head.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well where's the fun in that?

I do think the Promethean thing is a bit confusing but I'm sure the game itself clarifies that pretty well.

Yeah. My main question for campaign has always been how 343i will showcase all the back-story that is needed (that comes from the books) to players who like the Halo campaigns but have never read the extended fiction.

I'm sure they've gone over that a ton, but it's the one thing that holds back the story from going all out Halo crazy. You still have to make people who only played 1-3 understand what's going on, and what happened after 3 ended.

Ok this one fits perfectly.

So I just looked at the Promethean Weapons and Enemies. Do we essentially now see the full sandbox? I think the only thing that could be new are vehicles right? Seems like we know about all the Armour Abilities, Perks, and now weapons and enemies?

Fuchsdh

Yeah. My main question for campaign has always been how 343i will showcase all the back-story that is needed (that comes from the books) to players who like the Halo campaigns but have never read the extended fiction.

I'm sure they've gone over that a ton, but it's the one thing that holds back the story from going all out Halo crazy. You still have to make people who only played 1-3 understand what's going on, and what happened after 3 ended.

Ok this one fits perfectly.

The handling of backstory is the part of Halo 4 I'm most interested in, purely from the mechanics of storytelling. Too much and you end up with plot dumps, too little and it's not really helping alleviate the confusion.

TheOddOne

Good, thought it was weird that they did not say anything about the game during their Pax coverage. Also, will Sean Connery make an appearance? I need to know that. I NEED.

edit: also neoism got banned :/
tumblr_m3d3afTdl41ro931b.gif

HE WILL FUCKING RETURN. <3

Why would kinect functionality in Halo 4 be bad? Just curious as to everyone's opinion.

If you weren't aware, the Kinect uses a certain amount of RAM and processor cycles when it's active. I'd say that sort of thing could be used to make the game run smoother/prettier/etc.

In the original designs, the Kinect had all of its processing on-board, but due to cost-per-unit, it was cut. So now the 360 does the calculations for it, which is part of the reason some Kinect games have horrendous input delays or lag behind your movements.

IHaveIce

Banned
"I will not allow you to leave this thread!" -(used for Halo OT6)
"I have long dreamt of this day, NeoGAF" -(Ghal was considering it for the Halo 4 OT)
"Requiem for a dream"

That's the top of my head.

You always have great ideas, I liked also alot of your suggestions from the last times.

SLRP

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
As far as I know...

Dude in ball = Didact (most likely, we don't know 100%) = Promethean
Promethean = Warrior class of the Forerunners
Watcher/Crawler/Knight = Mechanical units used by Prometheans.

I really wish they had called them something else, having read the books I was confused why their limbs were floating and not physically attached until 343i clarified these were machines and not "real" prometheans as described in the novels as warriors.

On a side note I was playing Darksiders 2 and one of the enemies looks like the design of Halo 4's promethean knights.....weird

Question spawned by the gaming side thread. Why is 343i labeling the new base enemies "Prometheans" when in reality the Didact is a Promethean and the watcher/crawler/knights/etc are all AI units under Promethean control?

So they don't have to explain what I just explained to every non-book reader?
Well if you read Primordium they might
be dead Forerunners put into mechanical bodies.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Perma'd?

I've just assumed that whenever someone from 343 has said "Prometheans" they mean enemies that are associated with Forerunner stuff. Hopefully there is more nuance to that term than that.

Good, thought it was weird that they did not say anything about the game during their Pax coverage. Also, will Sean Connery make an appearance? I need to know that. I NEED.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3d3afTdl41ro931b.gif

HE WILL FUCKING RETURN. <3
No idea if he got perma'd or not. Doubt it, it didn't seem that bad.

Seems he got banned for posting a gif in the now infamous Shakira sex tape thread. Lot of bans from there.

Karl2177

I'll correct it, but since Ghal has a title already it seems a bit moot.

"I was put into service eight threads ago, OTs deteriorate after seven."

I always find it funny when people in this thread start suggesting thread titles, as far as I can remember Ghaleon has never used one of them, but there's a point in every Halo OT where it starts happening haha.

Who said that the stuff which is mentioned in the books is important for Halo 4's story?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Who said that the stuff which is mentioned in the books is important for Halo 4's story?

Frankie.

Fronkie said:
So three years ago, we made a decision to just make everything matter. And it's a lot of hard work and heavy lifting; you have to tie all these pieces together to make it function, but it's worthwhile. Again, when you pick up Halo 4, it's going to make sense. It'll be a big sci-fi epic story; "I explored this world, I met all these characters, I did all this stuff." But if you followed all that other fiction, there will be all these other layers of resonance and depth to it that will really pay off. Only a small percentage of our players invest all that time in extended fiction, but for those guys, the torchbearers of the franchise, it'll be a great payoff for the amount of passion they poured into the universe.

Vire

Well that was the most amazing thing ever.

So I'm playing Hemorrhage, BTB and I pick up the Sniper on top of the base. Naturally, my teammate gets pissed and starts to try and team kill me.

So he starts by peppering me with AR shots and I'm rolling my eyes, then he throws a grenade and I Armor Lock and he ends up committing suicide.

Justice is served.

So I'm playing Hemorrhage, BTB and I pick up the Sniper on top of the base. Naturally, my teammate gets pissed and starts to try and team kill me.

So he starts by peppering me with AR shots and I'm rolling my eyes, then he throws a grenade and I Armor Lock and he ends up committing suicide.

Justice is served.
People who betray for power weapons are the worst.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Well, for one, knowing who the Didact is is going to be huge. There's a good amount of story on what Halsey's been up to, what a shield world is, where the other Spartans have been, etc.

Not saying they can't explain it with Cortana and Halsey giving some lines, just curious how they do it.

Justice is served.

When that happens I usually sprint for the water so the gun disappears when I die.

Top Bottom