• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Gui_PT

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=501676066&player=Monolith Gui

avgn.gif

Kuroyume

Banned
It's annoying. I have my controller sensitivity set on low so it makes it difficult to aim when I you have people lunging all over the place. At least with jetpack people are somewhat slow moving around and with sprint they can only run in one direction. With evade you have people crouching and then moving really quickly all over the place.

Kuroyume said:
It's annoying. I have my controller sensitivity set on low so it makes it difficult to aim when I you have people lunging all over the place. At least with jetpack people are somewhat slow moving around and with sprint they can only run in one direction. With evade you have people crouching and then moving really quickly all over the place.

Thats kind of why I dont like the new melee animation. The whole body jerks in a pretty random way.

Tawpgun

NullPointer said:
Jet Pack defense force reporting for duty. Don't talk ill about my baby.
<3 the Jetpack too, but the <3 is out of necessity. Some of the maps, mainly the floating catwalk ones (hate those to death) that litter community maps flow so bad that the Jet Pack fixes that. If maps were made with good map movement than the jetpack wouldn't be so prevalent. Jet Packs do break map flow but that's because map flow was never good to begin with.

What would be really cool, is if instead of a jetpack, there was a super jump armor ability. It would allow for like 3-4 times the jump height. Can't use weapons while jumping, and the height depends on how long you hold it down for. I can see that being balanced well. Or even removing the ability to fire a weapon while jetpacking.

AL is definitely the worst of the bunch with Drop Shield in Objective taking second place in the terrible idea awards. Evade could use a longer recharge time, but it isn't too bad. The idea of making camo go into poor camo when scoped is a good idea too.

EDIT
Gui_PT said:

Well you were going up against someone with a name like snipered ur mum. That guy must be pro.

blamite

wwm0nkey said:
There is another thread about this but if any of you guys are interested Microsoft is starting to delete old Xbox 1 gamer tags, so if you want one of the old tags most of them should be deleted soon :D
Hmm... I might be able to get "Gannon" when this happens... What's better, Gannon, or GANNONSMASH?

blamite said:
Hmm... I might be able to get "Gannon" when this happens... What's better, Gannon, or GANNONSMASH?
Ganon, maybe? :p

Also, concerning stat tracking and all of that--once Bungie does finally pull the plug on theirs, I hope they give all of their systems over to 343 beforehand--so that we keep the tracking the way we're used to, just using 343's resources. Naturally, they could expand upon them, but I could imagine it being hard to getting used to just using 343's way of doing it so suddenly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devin Olsen said:
Agreed.

Jet Packing is honestly the worst ability IMO.... I personally don't see all the fuss with AL (I use it myself quite often). But Jetpacks are so so bad.

They also ruin (imo) how the map is supposed to flow. I understand the maps were made with jet packing in mind, but it just doesn't feel right.

You can kill a team full of jetpackers no problem (but they do ruin a lot of maps) A team full of armor lockers will just troll the shit out of you.

Gui_PT said:

Dat trueskill!

As long as a map is well designed for jetpacks, and there are enough DMR's/Needlers around to counter them I think they add a lot to Reach. Boardwalk, powerhouse, and swordbase are really enjoyable to zip around, while the cage atom, and asylum can make me hate life.

The first patch of community maps were just goddamn terrible because of it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
To be honest Bungie has never been a hugely popular developer until Microsoft bought them and pushed Halo and them like they did. Now that they are free again i don't see their next franchise being as popular as Halo. Halo really was something special. I do however think that popularity doesn't define the quality of a game. So I think the next Bungie game franchise will have some amazing games regardless of how popular they are.

Either way I've been a Bungie fan for a long time and I sure as hell will be till I die or god forbid Bungie ceases to exist.

Every time Bungie makes a new game, all the way back to Pathways Into Darkness, they innovate, improve and invent. Even before Halo, Bungie was doing amazing shit, just on a different scale. Marathon and Myth were both stunning franchises that really did something different and cool. I can't imagine their next game being anything less than epic.

I just thought of something. Imagine Halo 2 with armor abilities. But, like, in a good way. For example:
-Using Jetpack to slow your fall instead of corner-riding when escaping maps
-Using Hologram during the 'Refumee fight in order to beat him at his own game
-Using Jetpack to get out of maps without the need for as much launching
-Using Evade as the Arbiter to help you out in stealth sequences and evading Tartarus's swings
-Using a combination of Scarab leg launching (think Halo 3) and Jetpacking to get to the Scarab Gun in a single bound
-Sprinting through any swarm of enemies as Chief, really
-Using Hologram to fool Jackal Snipers on Legendary

OuterWorldVoice said:
Every time Bungie makes a new game, all the way back to Pathways Into Darkness, they innovate, improve and invent. Even before Halo, Bungie was doing amazing shit, just on a different scale. Marathon and Myth were both stunning franchises that really did something different and cool. I can't imagine their next game being anything less than epic.

Hey, I enjoyed ONI.

He has a point though, I wouldn't question him on it XD

I think you guys are blowing the AA thing a little out of proportion, to be honest. I mean, I know it's GAF, but still. There could be some room for fun with AAs in previous games. Yes, disrupting Foundation's flow with Evade during Zombies would suck. Yes, Jetpacking on Colossus would suck. I'm just saying be a little idealistic here, and try and imagine some areas where genuine fun could come out of stuff like this.

What would happen if you Armor Locked on Terminal's tracks...?

Untracked

Zee-V70 said:
"Off the Rock, Through the Bush, Nothing but Jackal&#8206;"

Hologram might have been useful there, one-shotting bastards! :p

EDIT: I got to that section and couldn't beat them. I must have died 200+ times in the bottom of that canyon.
So I used Nokyard's High Speed Halo antics to bypass the whole section :D

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
I want a new Marathon D:

Zee-V70 said:
I just thought of something. Imagine Halo 2 with armor abilities. But, like, in a good way. For example:
-Using Jetpack to slow your fall instead of corner-riding when escaping maps
-Using Hologram during the 'Refumee fight in order to beat him at his own game
-Using Jetpack to get out of maps without the need for as much launching
-Using Evade as the Arbiter to help you out in stealth sequences and evading Tartarus's swings
-Using a combination of Scarab leg launching (think Halo 3) and Jetpacking to get to the Scarab Gun in a single bound
-Sprinting through any swarm of enemies as Chief, really
- Only to get hit by a soft-kill barrier :p
- Smug son of a bitch deserves no better
- Yay for superjumping. :p
- And rolling off the platform.
- Jetpack, is there anything it can't do?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27_StarWolf said:
I don't see why?

Anyone ever notice kids with hologram are either really REALLY bad, or really good?
Hologram is the shit. Using it again in GAF customs was the best part.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I hope Camo goes back to being a pick-up for the next Halo. As of right now, it has three functions (disables aim magnetism, invisible, jams radar), that's insane. I miss having to fight for Camo and Overshield from previous Halos.

wwm0nkey said:

I can't resist my true nature any longer.

AA were a much needed change to what was becoming stale and unchanged gameplay.

Crap. I bet I just made some enemies now.

However before you start throwing rocks at me, what would you have done to make Reach a new game and not Halo 3.5?

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:

However before you start throwing rocks at me, what would you have done to make Reach a new game and not Halo 3.5?
Nah I respect peoples opinions, I just personally didnt like the AA's or Equipment. Over Shield and Camo on the map was all I ever needed.

I personally think Equipment was a welcome addition, and Armor Abilities were simply a logical second step. I know there are people that disagree with me, but if Equipment/AAs were in Combat Evolved, I can't help but feel we'd be complaining about them less.

A27_StarWolf said:

Dude, I love Uncaged and jetpacks. You have a long way to go before you become The Most Hated New HaloGAF Junior.

Untracked

A27_StarWolf said:
what would you have done to make Reach a new game and not Halo 3.5?
I'd take Halo 3 and add Sprint and Terrian Editing in Forge.

Yeah, you could probably call that Halo 3.1 but I would still be playing it now.

Striker

A27_StarWolf said:
I, for the most part, don't mind AA's for Reach. I know they won't remove any of them or nerf them to near obsolete. That's fine. My hope is just for the next game, perhaps if its Halo 4, to go back to the roots that made Halo 2 the premier XBL game and what made Halo 1 MP unbelievable. No bubble shieds or regens to give a player a second chance at life, no camo to camp with in corners of the maps, no evade ability for a Spartan that, not only looks hideous, makes the gameplay suffer and turn into a CQB fest.

Striker said:
I, for the most part, don't mind AA's for Reach. I know they won't remove any of them or nerf them to near obsolete. That's fine. My hope is just for the next game, perhaps if its Halo 4, to go back to the roots that made Halo 2 the premier XBL game and what made Halo 1 MP unbelievable. No bubble shieds or regens to give a player a second chance at life, no camo to camp with in corners of the maps, no evade ability for a Spartan that, not only looks hideous, makes the gameplay suffer and turn into a CQB fest.

Yeah, but the only problem is that a lot of people seem to forget that Halo 2 wasn't the premier XBL game because its gameplay was perfect in every way: it had so much popularity because it was basically the first Xbox 360 game before the 360 even came out due to its friends list user interface, incredible online capabilities and whatnot. I'm not saying it's not a good game in its own right; it is one, and I got plenty of fun out of it. But when people give complaints like "Reach is nothing but slow CQB gameplay" (I'm not saying you are, and I'm not trying to hyperbolize what you're getting at--I'm just saying, I've heard the complaint plenty of times), Halo 2 had similar flaws. Anyone remember Halo 2's Energy Sword? It was the most overpowered goddamn weapon in the series against infantry, and god help you if its user could Sword Fly with it. It's like comparing the first and second generations of Pokemon to Black and White. The originals were improved upon vastly, but nostalgia-fueled opinions will generally make you think otherwise. I'm not trying to argue with you, here, just sharing my opinion.

EDIT: I should probably clarify, it was a bit of a bad example. Halo 2 didn't have slow gameplay in the slightest (cue "Exactly, and Reach does" argument), it was more getting at that a lot of flaws pointed out in Reach had similar parallels in Halo 2.

Karl2177

I think the one thing that disappointed me most about Reach was the lack of skulls, and other things littered around the Campaign levels. Almost everyone I knew made a mad dash for the sword on Outskirts. I have fond memories of the one time I managed to collect 5 or 6 skulls in H2. Gah, I'm putting that in right now. I just wish there was Live support still...

wwm0nkey

Zee-V70 said:
Yeah, but the only problem is that a lot of people seem to forget that Halo 2 wasn't the premier XBL game because its gameplay was perfect in every way: it had so much popularity because it was basically the first Xbox 360 game before the 360 even came out due to its friends list user interface, incredible online capabilities and whatnot. I'm not saying it's not a good game in its own right; it is one, and I got plenty of fun out of it. But when people give complaints like "Reach is nothing but slow CQB gameplay" (I'm not saying you are, and I'm not trying to hyperbolize what you're getting at--I'm just saying, I've heard the complaint plenty of times), Halo 2 had similar flaws. Anyone remember Halo 2's Energy Sword? It was the most overpowered goddamn weapon in the series against infantry, and god help you if its user could Sword Fly with it. It's like comparing the first and second generations of Pokemon to Black and White. The originals were improved upon vastly, but nostalgia-fueled opinions will generally make you think otherwise. I'm not trying to argue with you, here, just sharing my opinion.
Actually after playing Vista for awhile... it really wasnt so bad, just get 4 shots off with a BR before he gets to you. The only map its terrible in is Midship.

wwm0nkey said:
Actually after playing Vista for awhile... it really wasnt so bad, just get 4 shots off with a BR before he gets to you. The only map its terrible in is Midship.
Well yeah, I can understand that, but there's no denying that it was pretty overpowered. Don't get me wrong, I loved the weapon (and still do, despite being overshadowed by the Shotgun and Gravity Hammer), but in an equal-footing, one-on-one scenario, it was pretty hard to deal with a Sword user without dying yourself. At the peak of Halo 2's life, the sword could be countered by people that had learned to adapt to it, but it still was one of the more powerful power weapons.

MrBig

Karl2177 said:
I think the one thing that disappointed me most about Reach was the lack of skulls, and other things littered around the Campaign levels. Almost everyone I knew made a mad dash for the sword on Outskirts. I have fond memories of the one time I managed to collect 5 or 6 skulls in H2. Gah, I'm putting that in right now. I just wish there was Live support still...
Data pads, and the still as of yet fully explored button eggs, which are a much larger set of egg objectives than done in any previous halo.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27_StarWolf said:

How do you define stale? Halo CE and Halo 2 didn't have them, they were million sellers and still loved by fans today.

Halo 3 didn't have AA, sold millions, stayed on top of the Live Activity charts for years and beat out three or four COD games and remained the most popular Xbox 360 played online for years.

Reach has AA's, and an old COD game from two years back is more popular than it.

Halo gameplay was not getting stale, if anything it was still going strong. When Reach changed things up, the playerbase shifted dramatically. Whilst you cannot solely blame AA's for this, I think it's fair to say that "shaking up" the sandbox has, in some way, contributed in some fashion to the disruption in the projected popularity of a mainstream Halo title.

People called Halo 3 when it was released Halo 2.5 because it didn't change things up too much and with Reach, things changed up significantly and the defenders cried out that it was for the greater good and no one wanted Halo 3.5. I think they were wrong. The fans wanted Halo 3.5. Not the day one fans, not the casual fans but the long term players. The players that kept Halo 2 and Halo 3 so popular and top of the Live charts for years after release. The players that log on every day and play Halo.

The industry has moved past day one sales. Every major Halo title will generate millions of sales easily. It has the brand and the marketing weigh of a platform host. But Reach has shown that Halo is just as open to long term issues as other games. If the long term, hardcore fan base loses interest, then the community as a whole suffers. Playlist populations fall and the overall game experience enters a decline.

For the publisher, this means that revenue from DLC will also be lower. Halo 3's DLC was selling thousands of copies per day, over a year after release, do you think the same will be true for Reach's DLC? I do not.

I wanted Halo 3.5 and think a significant amount of the folks that have been on HaloGAF for years feel the same way. When Domino talks about being excited for the future of Halo and 343i, do you think Domino means Armour Abilities, Armour Lock, Jet Packs, reticule bloom et al? I don't think so.

MrBig said:
Data pads, and the still as of yet fully explored button eggs, which are a much larger set of egg objectives than done in any previous halo.

Not to mention BOBs, sneaky bastards.
There's Halo Kart (on ONI: Sword Base, look it up)
Piloting the Pelicans/Phantoms is amazing.
The Multiplayer Radio Conversations involving
Blue Team from the novels
And, as previously stated, the Data Pads and switches off the normal paths.

wwm0nkey

I still think Halo 2 was the highlight of the series for me in the Multi-player aspect. I just enjoyed the gameplay more than anything I mean yeah the online and stuff at the time was revolutionary at the time for consoles. I just loved the gameplay there was this special feel every time I played it which has sense only been matched by Chrome Hounds.

A27_StarWolf said:

Dude this isnt some revelation, its pretty clear from your posts that your pro Reach and that shouldn't be something you need to hide. I will say though that disagree that the gameplay was old and stale. Even if it was though AA's in theyre current implementation are the worst possible attempt at freshening it up.

Just to be clear I think the idea of AA's on paper was silly enough, considering that Halo has always been about everyone being on a equal footing and the better man wins. I also find it funny that Bungie seemed to hate Equipment themselves and yet still though AA's where a good idea. I just want to clarify that I personally loved Equipment - the fact that it was 1 use only allowed it to be something that could be used in interesting ways, but not totally gimmick up the gameplay. AA's fail at this.

A better implimentation of AA's might have been if they were simply minor extensions to players natural movement. For example everyone started off with all the AA's and could use the D pad to switch between them. A overall cooldown meter would affect all of them, and rather than being as powerful as they are now they could be things that just add a little boost. I.e. a quick sprint boost/ a quick evade/ a quick burst of jetpack. After typing all of that I kind of think that my idea would potentially make the gameplay even more gimmicky lol. Maybe AA's were just not a right fit for Halo's style of gameplay?

I would have honestly preferred Halo 3.5 to Reach. Change for the sake of change is stupid, Reach feels more like a prototype for Bungie's next big thing than it does a Halo game. Off the top of my head I cant think of many things that I would do, but im sure if it was my job to think of ways to spice up the gameplay I could think of ways to enhance the style of play Halo has always been known for, rather than to try and take it down a totally different route.

You know what - Dani already kind of beat me to it.

Zee-V70 said:
I personally think Equipment was a welcome addition, and Armor Abilities were simply a logical second step. I know there are people that disagree with me, but if Equipment/AAs were in Combat Evolved, I can't help but feel we'd be complaining about them less.

If AA's and Bloom were in Halo 1 I personally don't think I would have been as interested in the Halo franchise beyond the single player which would have still had that air of mystery and fantastic set peices and AI. For sure I wouldnt have gotten into the multiplayer as much as I did.

wwm0nkey

Kuroyume said:
Just give us Halo 2 with new graphics, maps, and a pistol worth using.
Not sure about the graphics, 60 FPS and 1080p support are a must though. Pistol is a maybe, dont want too much to change.

MrBig said:
Scrounging for datapads with cryptic messages actually sounds like some fun to me, but the game doesn't support the activity at all. At minimum these datapads should be available to view in the game menus after you find them, along with some kind of marker letting you know if you've found all of them for a given level.

As it is, you have to look online to find out where they are and how to get them, and considering the only reward is their contents that you can view all of once, theres no reason not to just read them online and call it a day.

MrBig

Or just up-res all the better maps from Halo 2, put up for 1600 space bucks and call it a day.
It honestly wouldn't take more than a couple months with a dedicated team.

Kuroyume

Banned
I meant give us a new game that basically has Halo 2 gameplay, speed, weapon damage, vehicle damage, etc.

I would also take 60fps/1080p Halo 2 XBLA no question.

Kuroyume said:
Just give us Halo 2 with new graphics, maps, and a pistol worth using.
I would laugh my ass off if Tombstone came back and that room with the Halo CE pistol hidden in it was actually a playable part of the map, and the pistol actually spawned in there.

Top Bottom