• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Does 343 have any matchmaking update planned for this month?
I'm really curious to see how they handle this.
Also, what happened with the Community Cartographers, are they still alive? :/

Gabotron ES said:
Does 343 have any matchmaking update planned for this month?
I'm really curious to see how they handle this.
Also, what happened with the Community Cartographers, are they still alive? :/
You can expect the TU in September at the earliest.

Tawpgun

Gabotron ES said:
Bits and pieces of the previous three Halos, bs angel already comfirmed an option to turn off fall damage.
I hope that's fall stun. We can already turn off damage.

The changes I want to overall reach... Melee bleed through. Nade nerf. DMR/Sniper damage reduced vs vehicles. Vehicle health tied to player. Banshee nerf. Anything else like remove bloom would change too much. As much as I would want it... But that's what classic ++ is for.

Isn't it a little wrong that they are altering the game based on the vocal minority?

If they change to much the may put off a large amount of the player base just because those people don't voice their opinions about the games on forums.

Ramirez

king picollo said:
Isn't it a little wrong that they are altering the game based on the vocal minority?

If they change to much the may put off a large amount of the player base just because those people don't voice their opinions about the games on forums.

You'll still have terrible Reach to play at anytime. Classic+ is in separate playlists...

king picollo said:

I think those players will stay playing Reach, even if some changes are implemented in regular matchmaking. Most players just play for credits apperently.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
king picollo said:

No, it's not wrong if they think it will make the game better overall.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to turn a precision & skill weapon into an anti-vehicle weapon needs to be demoted back to QA testing along with everyone else who approved the decision.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
I expounded on that.

Also WTF only 7K for fucking 50 games? What the hell is wrong with your math Bungie?
343 takes over this week right? Please let next week's Challenge be a sign that they are paying attention to this stuff. This weekly, at this point in Reach's life cycle, is embarrassing. :\

king picollo said:

Let's look at the quote again:
OuterWorldVoice said:
As the changes roll out, some of them will prove more popular than others, so it will be a while before you'll see the changes settle into broad playlist changes across Reach. But we will certainly be pretty aggressive about rolling them out in 'classic'playlists. If soe,thing is just universally loved immediately, then it can be quickly rolled into regular Reach gameplay. One feature in particular, I think, will be pushed put and embraced fairly quickly.
Where do you see any mention of the "vocal minority" impacting the changes?

If anything it implies that the majority of players will have the greatest impact, causing certain changes to be more widely implemented and at a faster rate.

Sure, "some of them will prove more popular than others", but that doesn't mean the vocal minority effected those changes. It just means the 343 developers may have come up with their own ideas and added some options that might be too radical for immediate implementation.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Let's look at the quote again:

Where do you see any mention of the "vocal minority" impacting the changes?

If anything it implies that the majority of players will have the greatest impact, causing certain changes to be more widely implemented and at a faster rate.

Sure, "some of them will prove more popular than others", but that doesn't mean the vocal minority effected those changes. It just means the 343 developers may have come up with their own ideas and added some options that might be too radical for immediate implementation.
Also worth pointing out: They are NOT making a wide swath of universal changes, but are rather going to introduce many that people have been asking for in an alternate set of play lists. If it's a vocal minority wanting the changes, then the play list populations will reflect that. If on the other hand changes prove popular they will roll out wider. It's a cautious way to do a TU, but a democratically structured one. The "vocal minority" hypothesis will be put to the test.
FyreWulff said:
Jesus christ, fuck this weekly.
More than anything else involving 343's management of Reach, the Challenges need attention. It's disconcerting to me that no one has mentioned whether they are going to be taking an active role in managing them, either right away or down the road. I really hope they're paying attention. Both the requirement and the payout are ridiculous.

feel

Let the age of "fuck you 343, you lazy incompetent bums!!" begin!!

What will we be calling the two sides of Reach?? I liked Ram's "terrible Reach", simple and brutally straight to the point. Or maybe best Reach / worst Reach like the korea meme in the OT.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Jesus christ, fuck this weekly.
I like the weekly. Don't like the payout. EVERY weekly at this point should be over 10K.

The way they're rolling out the TU and the changes impressed me. Classic ++ to satisfy the people dissatisfied with Reach... And then only the popular changes will be put across the board.

As far as that vocal minority thing... I hope 343 puts messages in Reach that tells people to go to waypoint and voice their opinion on changes and upcoming changes. 343 should listen to the community. If only a minority care enough to give their voices to 343 then its their fault.

I've had this idea since H3... What if there was an Expiremental Hopper. In it we would preview changes and discuss them on waypoint.

Tunavi said:
If you're playing for credits, you're doing it wrong.

This ^

Idgaf about challenges other than maybe the fun of completing them. Halo 1-3 didn't have them and I played them for 3 years a piece.

They're artificial goals meant to placate the brain-dead Call of Duty crowd.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
Who are you talking to?

If you're going to have an investment system, and in particular a Challenge system, the effort should be made to implement less crappy Challenges on an ongoing basis. It's a rather reasonable request.

*flashback to Halo 3*

If you're playing for XP or Rank, you're doing it wrong. We can do this with every Halo game.

It's an incentive, a carrot, a goal to work on while playing, not the reason to play. And no one is saying it is.

What was shocking for me was that one of my close friends, who I've played Halo with for 4 years didn't wanted to play the Bungie day playlist or any other playlist because he had reached the credit cap.

FyreWulff

I'm not playing for the credits. 50 wins in one week is just a stupid weekly.

Especially because being in the top half of any FFA gametype like Infection or Rumble Pit doesn't count, you have to be #1 for it to count as a win for the weekly. Should be a max of 25-30 wins for a weekly like this.

I guess this week is going to be Grifball / Action Sack themed for me.

Kuroyume

Banned
king picollo said:

So is what you're saying that developers should never listen to anyone and never alter a game obvious exploits excluded?

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
I like the weekly. Don't like the payout. EVERY weekly at this point should be over 10K.

The way they're rolling out the TU and the changes impressed me. Classic ++ to satisfy the people dissatisfied with Reach... And then only the popular changes will be put across the board.

As far as that vocal minority thing... I hope 343 puts messages in Reach that tells people to go to waypoint and voice their opinion on changes and upcoming changes. 343 should listen to the community. If only a minority care enough to give their voices to 343 then its their fault.

I've had this idea since H3... What if there was an Expiremental Hopper. In it we would preview changes and discuss them on waypoint.

i like your style. If people don't tell them what they like or dislike how can they improve the game? They can't. That's why it's important to let them know what you like or don't. Also I like your idea of an experimental hopper. I don't know how that would work since it would require the a beta version of the TU which then would make your version of the game different and prevent you from going into other playlists. But I do like that idea.

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Who are you talking to?
Everyone. I play this game for fun. I've been skipping the credit payout screen for months now. If you want to be rewarded for the amount of time you put into something,
get a job. :p

Risen

FyreWulff said:

Especially because being in the top half of any FFA gametype like Infection or Rumble Pit doesn't count, you have to be #1 for it to count as a win for the weekly. Should be a max of 25-30 wins for a weekly like this.

I'd go the other way... triple the pay out and double the win amount

PooBone

Dax01 said:
1. Halo and Crow's Nest – Halo
2. Truth and Reconciliation and Tsavo Highway – Tsavo Highway
3. The Silent Cartographer and The Storm – The Silent Cartographer
4. Assault on the Control Room and Floodgate – AotCR
5. 343 Guilty Spark and The Ark – The Ark
6. The Library and The Covenant – The Covenant

Dax, I see your point, although I would prefer Truth and Reconciliation to Tsavo Highway, but I'd personally prefer a campaign w/ the high points spread out and the low points not lumped together at the beginning and end. Of course in my eyes the only real low points of Halo CE are 343 Guilty Spark and Keyes. Like others have said and you've agreed though, it's all subjective. I also didn't like Floodgate or Crow's Nest much.

PooBone

wwm0nkey said:
idk I guess i considered the part where you fight 343 in The Maw a boss fight.
Confused how this could be considered a boss fight considering I've never fired a bullet at him in that part of the game.

In my opinion the boss fights, especially in Halo 2, are the low point of the entire series. Absolutely atrocious, and not just for a Halo game, by any standards these sections SUCK.

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:
Confused how this could be considered a boss fight considering I've never fired a bullet at him in that part of the game.

In my opinion the boss fights, especially in Halo 2, are the low point of the entire series. Absolutely atrocious, and not just for a Halo game, by any standards these sections SUCK.

I'm torn. I hate boss fights but the one's in Halo 2 weren't that bad. They really didn't feel like boss fights. You didn't have to memorize any patterns. You didn't have to wear them down. You just went in and beat the shit out of them and bam done. So I kind of liked Halo 2's.

This brings me to my one huge fear gameplay wise with 343. They have a lot of people that made some amazing games but these games had more classical boss fights. I really hope we don't see this in Halo 4 and beyond. I really feel that boss fights that have phases and patterns, etc would ruin the feel of Halo.

PooBone

Tha Robbertster said:
Mona Lisa part 9 is up

When this series is done, which story would you guys want to see made into a motion comic?

I'd love Dust since I've always loved ODST's and the plot is great IMO.

Karen Traviss' story about Cortana and the Gravemind would be amazing if they could find a way to portray it visually. It's my favorite story in Evolutions, but it would be difficult since the entire story basically takes place inside Cortana's mind. It would also probably be a one-off or maybe two episodes.

Woorloog

Banned
Tunavi said:
I'm not so sure about that. Only thing i feel is fun in Reach (other than playing with my friend and winning) is obtaining credits so that i can unlock more armor.
Halo 3 was just fun to play (well, to win). Reach? Meh... There is no ranked FFA or Objectives, ranked system is shit, gameplay mechanics don't suit FFA at all, BTB sucks, maps suck overall, campaign sucks and the playlists in general have issues. A lot.
It's not a bad game, far from it but compared to other Halos... (Playing Halo 3 is not a choice. Far too long MM times, graphics and sounds are weak compared to Reach's and it doesn't have enough players)
Too bad i got burned out from CODs, if i hadn't, i'd be playing CODBLOPS (sold it).
EDIT yeah, i belong to the group of players who play Reach just for credits. Because as of now, it doesn't offer anything else fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
HiredN00bs said:
I'm pretty sure he's at least partially joking. I mean he used the same thumb 4 times in the Reach screens. Also, 3 of the pictured Halo 2 maps were DLC, while Breakpoint and Highlands were left out. I think the biggest issue with Reach's BTB, as some have already expounded upon, is that some of the maps were designed primarily for Invasion.
Hey! I fought you and some other folks yesterday. And got destroyed. It was in Premium Slayer. I knew your GT sounded familiar.

Gabotron ES said:
Bits and pieces of the previous three Halos, bs angel already comfirmed an option to turn off fall damage.
Where'd you see that confirmation? I hope you're right!

Striker

With the Arena system going back to W/L like it should have been in the first place, it's still disheartening they didn't make any Team Objective Arena based playlist, and a FFA one. They could have plugged up other playlists so there isn't so many more, but at least in those ranked based playlists you would see 1) more competition, and 2) more players going for the win and objective rather than players staying back killing those in the hill who try to actually win; thus get properly rewarded.

Maybe 343 does this, maybe not. I wouldn't mind it, however.

Woorloog said:
(Playing Halo 3 is not a choice. Far too long MM times, graphics and sounds are weak compared to Reach's and it doesn't have enough players)
You play games for graphics and sound? Then why are you playing Halo and not Battlefield Bad Company? Halo 3 has plenty of people online, also.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:

Just play with a team in some team playlist.

I'm going to try for a 50 win streak. There's going to be so much cleansing.

Woorloog

Banned
Striker said:
You play games for graphics and sound? Then why are you playing Halo and not Battlefield Bad Company? Halo 3 has plenty of people online, also.
I don't play them only for sound and graphics. It's just that Halo 3's sounds (especially them) are very very weak compared to Reach's and it makes hard to get back into Halo 3.
And it doesn't have enough players. Matchmaking times are too long, net code is bad (compared to Reach) and whenever i might want to play Halo 3, there's no population online. Timezones you know. GMT+2DST, say when it's 16PM, there are maybe 15k players, that's with luck, split over too many playlists. Mostly they play Team Slayer, which i couldn't care less about in Halo 3.

As for BFBC2, i do play it. It's better than Reach. But i've unlocked everything in it and BF3 is coming soon so i don't want to play BF too much and burn out.

(I don't play Reach often ATM, i need at least one friend (or party) for it to be fun. Going solo to anything in Reach is so very frustrating)

I'm in the Tunavi camp. Challenges are a passive thing for me. I generally ignore the campaign/firefight ones. I earn credits from doing anything in game so its always only a matter of time. Eventually I'll have everything but I'll still put the disc in even though the carrot isn't appealing for any reason whatsoever.

Never gave a shit enough about challenges or credits to care if one of the challenges is impossible. Although if you're going to make such an incentivized system, it would be stupid to make challenges that give low payouts, the weeklies I've noticed are pretty awful in this regard.

My only real issue with challenges is when they interfere with how people play.

Also being stingy with credits and credit cap limits at this point is just hilarious. Everything has been earned by so many at this point, what the fuck is the point.

xxjuicesxx said:
I expounded on that.

Also WTF only 7K for fucking 50 games? What the hell is wrong with your math Bungie?
50 game complete bonuses + slot bonuses + commendations earned = a lot of credits.

That is even assuming you win every match. To top that off with a reasonably large sum of credits seems fair.

PooBone

OuterWorldVoice said:
I just mean that we will talk about them in depth, rather than have some list. We are looking at how we make those things playable and obvious at Halo Fest. Some of them would be pretty obvious, and players would be all, 'I get it, I will ask questions about it at the panel.' Some of them might be too subtle to notice or appreciate in a ten minute Team Slayer game.

The guys who implemented these changes really did some kick ass work.

As the changes roll out, some of them will prove more popular than others, so it will be a while before you'll see the changes settle into broad playlist changes across Reach. But we will certainly be pretty aggressive about rolling them out in 'classic'playlists. If soe,thing is just universally loved immediately, then it can be quickly rolled into regular Reach gameplay. One feature in particular, I think, will be pushed put and embraced fairly quickly.
Frankie makes me happy. 26 days til Halo Fest!!!

Homeboyd

Devolution said:
Never gave a shit enough about challenges or credits to care if one of the challenges is impossible. Although if you're going to make such an incentivized system, it would be stupid to make challenges that give low payouts, the weeklies I've noticed are pretty awful in this regard.
The weekly's (for the most part) are fun to go after and payouts add to this experience for a lot of people. Some sort of 'reward' always makes challenges seem more exciting and fun. This weeks weekly is laughable at best... no matter the payout. Tbh, I wouldn't attempt it for 1 million credits simply because you would the experience would be miserable and everytime you lost a game you'd feel like you wasted your time. 7+ wins a day EVERY DAY?! I'm good.

Im also sitting on 4 million credits with nothing I want to buy atm.

My only real issue with challenges is when they interfere with how people play.
Absolutely this. The challenge system is a lot of fun at times and adds a new level of secondary objectives to Halo that we never really saw before. But players have absolutely changed that way they play the game because of this system. Seeing players run up to an enemy, smack them, and then run away hoping to get an assist for an assist challenge is definitely something new to the table. Ehh..

Also being stingy with credits and credit cap limits at this point is just hilarious. Everything has been earned by so many at this point, what the fuck is the point.
Yeah I'm with you here. I know it's easy to say that they need to keep the system the way it is for it to make sense for new players (so they don't jump 6 ranks with one challenge completion), but I have to figure that's more of an excuse to not have to spend any real time with the system. It needs a major overhaul. Hopefully new challenges can be added with the TU, not just new variables.

PooBone

Mojo said:
Not as good as Reach:

aljgw3.jpg
*barf*

Halo 2's maps were the best ever.

PooBone

Question that I don't think has been answered:
When Halo: CEA comes out, will Reach challenges be complete-able from the CE:A disk? Would be cool to continue unlocking lots of credits without having to put in the Reach disk. (because really, once Anniversary comes out, it has all the multiplayer I care about.)

*sorry for the DP*

I don't care about the weeklies/dailies anymore. At the beginning of Reach it was good, because you hadn't earned that much credits during a game etc. So you did the challenge. But today I get 7,777cR in 3-5games. If 343i raises the payout of the challenge, it's okay. But the biggest problem of the challenges is, they're mostly fu**ing boring.

PooBone said:
When Halo: CEA comes out, will Reach challenges be complete-able from the CE:A disk? Would be cool to continue unlocking lots of credits without having to put in the Reach disk. (because really, once Anniversary comes out, it has all the multiplayer I care about.)

*sorry for the DP*
The whole multiplayer experience(only with the 7 maps) will be part of the CE:A disk. But you're only able to get the Multiplayer/firefight challenges.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
I don't care about the weeklies/dailies anymore. At the beginning of Reach it was good, because you hadn't earned that much credits during a game etc. So you did the challenge. But today I get 7,777cR in 3-5games. If 343i raises the payout of the challenge, it's okay. But the biggest problem of the challenges is, they're mostly fu**ing boring.
Whenever I see the LASO challenges, I just move on.

Kill X amount of enemies in Firefight? zzzzzzzz

Win X amount of games in matchmaking? Everyone I know online has moved on, and I'm not playing that shit solo.

I really thought there'd be a lot more variety in the types of challenges they present daily. Hopefully 343 has the tools to make things a bit more interesting. Interested to see the dailies for 8/3.

Hypertrooper said:
The whole multiplayer experience(only with the 7 maps) will be part of the CE:A disk. But you're only able to get the Multiplayer/firefight challenges.
Nice.

PooBone said:

*sorry for the DP*
I would assume so.

CEA will most likely access the Reach matchmaking servers for playlist info, stat tracking, file share/saved films, etc. Not to mention I assume it will have the normal Reach armory available for use (maybe with some extra CEA-only pieces like that mysterious helmet).

Same deal as the ODST Mythic disc (which kept your EXP, armor, etc.), only now it's incorporated into the CEA menu (and lacks the Reach disc maps and DLC).

Homeboyd said:
The weekly's (for the most part) are fun to go after and payouts add to this experience for a lot of people. Some sort of 'reward' always makes challenges seem more exciting and fun. This weeks weekly is laughable at best... no matter the payout. Tbh, I wouldn't attempt it for 1 million credits simply because you would the experience would be miserable and everytime you lost a game you'd feel like you wasted your time. 7+ wins a day EVERY DAY?! I'm good.

Im also sitting on 4 million credits with nothing I want to buy atm.

A lot of the weeklies I never bothered with since I was on such a random schedule. But that was an issue with how often I could get on and not really a criticism of their system. Some weeklies however, when I am playing regularly, I just chuckle at and say "fuck it."

Absolutely this. The challenge system is a lot of fun at times and adds a new level of secondary objectives to Halo that we never really saw before. But players have absolutely changed that way they play the game because of this system. Seeing players run up to an enemy, smack them, and then run away hoping to get an assist for an assist challenge is definitely something new to the table. Ehh..

They didn't learn from those stupid H3 multiplayer online/FFA achievements.

Yeah I'm with you here. I know it's easy to say that they need to keep the system the way it is for it to make sense for new players (so they don't jump 6 ranks with one challenge completion), but I have to figure that's more of an excuse to not have to spend any real time with the system. It needs a major overhaul. Hopefully new challenges can be added with the TU, not just new variables.

Honestly that's why I think Reach really gets to some people. All of this potential and some great concepts not entirely fleshed out, half-assed or not properly implemented. And it just adds up.

Gabotron ES said:
Bold 2:My bet is on Halo 2/3 health regeneration.

I would not want that. One of the few changes to Reach that I like is health not regenerating and health packs.

king picollo said:

They aren't. Frankie has made it pretty clear that the base Reach playlists will stay the same, or very very similar in order to keep Reach for the player base that likes it.

Top Bottom