• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

<3. Why was Big Ben in? Dude was gimpmode.

They tried to get him off the field on a motorcycle, but he fell off and had to stay in the game.

Could've gone with "brilliant move by SF coaching staff: they surrounded the field with college coeds that all had restraining orders against Ben so he was legally barred from exiting the field" but I thought that was tasteless.

Nutter

Serious question or are you fucking with me?

Im mostly just playing.

But in all seriousness if you say its because of other games like COD, then that is BS.

COD retains its userbase in "3" games. Think about that for a moment, if people were not happy with H3, for its various matchmaking choices; Bungie responded by changing the entire game on its head. I wont go into how game companies should retain their fanbase or what choices they should make. But Bungles choices with Reach are showing the effects just a year after release.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Im mostly just playing.

But in all seriousness if you say its because of other games like COD, then ill call out the BS.
Thought so lol :p

I think there are a ton of reasons. The rise of CoD is certainly a factor. It's just a small piece of the pie though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo's eroding popularity can be pinpointed to six things. The AR, slowed down gameplay, overpowerd vehicles, bad maps/forge, bad playlist management, and armor abilites/equipment. Reach is the nail in the coffin but H3 is what poisoned the brand.

Trey

I think there are a ton of reasons. The rise of CoD is certainly a factor. It's just a small piece of the pie though.

It's certainly not the entire reason, but the presence of serious competition in BF and CoD is quite a bit larger than a small piece.

Of course, I'm more interested in these other reasons.

heckfu

Banned
Halo's eroding popularity can be pinpointed to six things. The AR, slowed down gameplay, overpowerd vehicles, bad maps/forge, bad playlist management, and armor abilites/equipment. Reach is the nail in the coffin but H3 is what poisoned the brand.

I was ready to go to bed but I wanna see where this thing goes...
popcorn.TIFF

wwm0nkey

Halo 2 was my favorite but I do not see how Halo 3 poisoned the brand at all.

Trey

Halo 2 was my favorite but I do not see how Halo poisoned the brand at all.

If I had to guess, the floaty jumping, the aim acceleration, movement momentum, slow movement speed, half the sandbox being useless, too much emphasis on vehicles, equipment was gimmicky, BR spread, melee trades.

Not that I agree with any of that, it's just things that are commonly said.

Trey

Should've just stopped Halo at 2, shiiiiiiiiiet.

Tawpgun

9HOLK.png

No offense to Hydranockz or anything but I laughed way too hard at this.

kane-clapping.gif

P.S. I was looking for that one gif where that black guy gets up, wipes his face, and starts a clap. Anyone got it?

daedalius

Well after a couple of games of H3 tonight, I can certainly say I like the consistency of the 85%/ZB DMR over the H3 BR.

If we get the BR back in H4, I hope its is a lot like H2's rather than H3. Or at least hitscan while red-reticule. Was getting way more 5-7 shots in H3 when I usually get 5 shots in Reach.

Feedback in H3 is pretty marginal as well, its hard to tell if your shots are landing, if all your shots are landing or just 1, etc. ZB is definitely faster than H3 as well, or at least it feels that way. (watching Tashi or MLG guys play ZB NS is WAY faster than H3, imo)

And H3 turtle speed, ugh. I swear Reach's 'movement' speed is faster, but then we have that bad inertia.

No offense to Hydranockz or anything but I laughed way too hard at this.

http://blackmarketkidneys.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/kane-clapping.gif[img]

[/QUOTE]

None taken :p Now is as good a time as any to ask; Is that Harvey Korman? Because every single time I see that gif, all I can think of is Hedley Lamarr in Blazing Saddles.

Edit: No siree it is not but damn if the two don't look similar hahaha.

Reach is awesome, just needs more people getting on instead of talking about it.

You're all like Halo Hippies smoking weed discussing when Halo was awesome. CE didn't have Live, 2 was good you can discuss that freely, 3 sucked. Reach is great, improved netcode, higher framerate than Halo 3, dependable DMR with its beautiful hitscan.

Its awesome right now. I fucking SHIT on kids last night all night long 19 games, had a couple ridiculous plays.

So Adapt, STFU and get on. Scrubs.

It could use a better playlist manager though...even that dude was better than Shishka too though...

Trey

And H3 turtle speed, ugh. I swear Reach's 'movement' speed is faster, but then we have that bad inertia.

I never had a problem with it. It made you think about the action of your movements. I never liked the "floors are lathered in crisco and we're all on speed" gameplay inherent in many other FPSes. Halo is much more purposeful/methodical, and thus, tactical, because of it.

daedalius

I never had a problem with it. It made you think about the action of your movements. I never liked the "floors are lathered in crisco and we're all on speed" gameplay inherent in many other FPSes. Halo is much more purposeful/methodical, and thus, tactical, because of it.

I think that was one of the reasons everyone liked H2 so much, you didn't move like a turtle. I wouldn't say it is more purposeful or methodical because you move like a turtle, its an arena shooter.

H2 has movement momentum (for a lack of a better term), if I recall correctly. I haven't played it in years, so my memory may be betraying me.

If it does, and I just played the campaign recently, it is nothing like what Reach has.

Trey

I think that was one of the reasons everyone liked H2 so much, you didn't move like a turtle. I wouldn't say it is more purposeful or methodical because you move like a turtle, its an arena shooter.

H2 has movement momentum (for a lack of a better term), if I recall correctly. I haven't played it in years, so my memory may be betraying me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Reach is awesome, just needs more people getting on instead of talking about it.

You're all like Halo Hippies smoking weed discussing when Halo was awesome. CE didn't have Live, 2 was good you can discuss that freely, 3 sucked. Reach is great, improved netcode, higher framerate than Halo 3, dependable DMR with its beautiful hitscan.

Its awesome right now. I fucking SHIT on kids last night all night long 19 games, had a couple ridiculous plays.

So Adapt, STFU and get on. Scrubs.

It could use a better playlist manager though...even that dude was better than Shishka too though...
These past 2 days I've been shitting on kids. I mean, I have supreme confidence in my shot. Sniper has been on, DMR has been on. It's kinda crazy. If I were making the Weekly Montages still, it would be my best one. I fuckin love when you're just running around a good map smoothly, pickin up kills, runnin flags. So great. Pistol still sucks ass though. I can't stand it. Hopefully I can keep this momentum going.

daedalius

Alright so I just finished re-reading the original print of 'The Fall of Reach', and I am just wondering...

how in the hell was the Pillar of Autumn on Reach's surface any time during that battle? I don't even know how the data-drops, or even the additional content in the back of the new printing of FoR can make sense of how roughshod Halo:Reach ran over FoR's story.

MC wasn't even in stasis until they entered slipspace at the end of the battle, and he takes part in a combat action in orbit above Reach while the planet is being invaded. But we see him in a tube at the end of Reach, and the PoA on the ground... which never happens.

No wonder Frankles said everything is going to tie together from now on, lol.

For Halo 4, I hope they axe the Plasma Repeater, since it's a redundant weapon, bring back the Plasma Rifle WITH the hit-stun effect, but give the new Plasma Rifle a look and profile similar to the Repeater. It just looks.... meaner than the standard Plasma Rifle.

Striker

If it does, and I just played the campaign recently, it is nothing like what Reach has.
The way a player was able to pull of particular melee swipes is critical in this. I really hope they go back to that type of melee than the garbage in 3/Reach of "lol i died but i killed you too xD". Who can forget the god-awful AR spray of three bullets with a melee. Shit was embarrassing.

Alright so I just finished re-reading the original print of 'The Fall of Reach', and I am just wondering...

how in the hell was the Pillar of Autumn on Reach's surface any time during that battle? I don't even know how the data-drops, or even the additional content in the back of the new printing of FoR can make sense of how roughshod Halo:Reach ran over FoR's story.

MC wasn't even in stasis until they entered slipspace at the end of the battle, and he takes part in a combat action in orbit above Reach while the planet is being invaded. But we see him in a tube at the end of Reach, and the PoA on the ground... which never happens.

Yeah, that was one of the major complains with Reach's story, together with Reach's dates not making sense when you compare it to the Fall of Reach's dates.

For Halo 4, I hope they axe the Plasma Repeater, since it's a redundant weapon, bring back the Plasma Rifle WITH the hit-stun effect, but give the new Plasma Rifle a look and profile similar to the Repeater. It just looks.... meaner than the standard Plasma Rifle.

The repeater was basically introduced for Elites to have a bigger chance in Invasion, it will probably stay as I don't see 343i axing such a popular gametype.

For me it's games > books, comics, animated series...

Flipyap

Well, the statis part is just an easter egg. If you count that, then Buck's fetish for eating bugs off monkey men is also canon.
It totally is.

2TRYY.jpg

As for the rest, personally, I recommend living in denial and pretending that Reach doesn't exist.

monome

Thread has become a suicide christmas pact..
See that 343i, don't leave us alone!

I've made peace with no Halo 4 news before Primordium has shipped, but don't let me fret for a month after that, speculation is gonna be intense.

kylej

Banned

yep

Top Bottom