• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands on GTA: San Andreas

Wow, a glowing article on GTA:SA.

I dont know why I bother reading anything on popular games any longer.

I know half life 2 will get big ol ass kissing reviews, same for halo 2, same for gta:sa. Sure, they MIGHT be good games, still feels dirty tho.

Goreomedy said:
Well, in Spong's case, we can probably be assured they're not in Rockstar's pocket. ;)

Considering what was said towards the end of the multiplayer thread, I ironically find the impressions more credible.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
MrAngryFace said:
Wow, a glowing article on GTA:SA.

I dont know why I bother reading anything on popular games any longer.

I know half life 2 will get big ol ass kissing reviews, same for halo 2, same for gta:sa. Sure, they MIGHT be good games, still feels dirty tho.

Wow! In the one minute between the original post and your reply you read the whole thing, enough to form an opinion about its content worthy of a response. That’s very impressive.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
MrAngryFace said:
why read anything anymore. A cock suck is a cock suck.
And a cock sucker is a cock sucker.

I’d ban you for this. People posting blind opinion is the worst thing that can happen in any forum.

who cares what you think.

Also, everyone in here buy this game if you havent.

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

raYne

Good enough preview, but it doesn't really reveal any new info... GTASA previews suffer from the same disease as Halo 2 and other high calibre upcoming games. Every preview gives you the same info you knew about 2 months ago. Yeah yeah, we know... just release it already.

The impound yard info and vehicle reclaiming is pretty interesting though, but I never put that much thought into the car disappearances since there's been quite a few times where I'd head back towards "my" car in III and catch a thief in the act or even driving away with said car. Hell, they even walked right up to you and grabbed you out the car as well, so I just figured it was the same in SA.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
"So in San Andreas, these recovered automobiles don’t just disappear from your parking spot; but they’ll actually find their way back to the SAPD impound yard."

Cool

DarienA said:
"So in San Andreas, these recovered automobiles don’t just disappear from your parking spot; but they’ll actually find their way back to the SAPD impound yard."

Cool

I can't wait to recover a crap load of cars, have them taken to the impound yard, then huck an explosive in there.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
DarienA said:

Cool

*cough* excuse to save memory *cough*

Seriously though; this game is going to ruin about a million other games. Will anyone bother buying anything else other than the Super AAA trilogy of Halo 2, Half Life 2 and GTA: SA?

Games industry = owned

Vlad

Spong said:
The police open fire on people other than CJ, and take an active interest in all suspicious looking citizens. CJ might be sat in his car, parked by the curb, contemplating his next move, when a police chopper search-light will scan across the street. You look at your wanted rating, notice you've got 2 stars. Gasp! What to do? Then the searchlight passes across the street onto a gaggle of dodgy looking homeys loitering on the corner: you're in the clear, edge back and leg it!

I don't know if I like the sound of that. Just sitting there and doing nothing should not result in gaining a wanted level....

Well, as long as they're going to make your old vehicles disappear, at least they're giving you the chance to recover them at some point. It sounds like there's quite a bit of customization you can do to the cars, and it'll be nice to know that any car that I'm overly attached to can be recovered instead of just vanishing into thin air.

raYne

Vlad said:
I don't know if I like the sound of that. Just sitting there and doing nothing should not result in gaining a wanted level....

You misread the quote... he already had two wanted levels hence he is contemplating his next move, but that's not enough to warrant a helicopter presence. The 'copter is there looking for someone else that's why it pans to the group of "homeys" across the street.

*EDIT*
Or... the game is totally realistic and a black man sitting in a car in Cali automatically has a level 2 wanted level...

Vlad

raYne said:
You misread the quote... he already had two wanted levels hence he is contemplating his next move, but that's not enough to warrant a helicopter presence. The 'copter is there looking for someone else that's why it pans to the group of "homeys" across the street.

Ahhhh... that sounds much better. Of course, if a two star rating in SA is anything like it was in 3, you can't really afford to sit still at any point anyway, due to the constant police presence.

EDIT:
*EDIT*
Or... the game is totally realistic and a black man sitting in a car in Cali automatically has a level 2 wanted level...

Yeah, I was going to lead my other comment off with something like "However realistic it may be,..." but I thought it'd be in poor taste :).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
raYne said:
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. :)
Folder said:
And a cock sucker is a cock sucker.

I’d ban you for this. People posting blind opinion is the worst thing that can happen in any forum.
How long have you been attending these forums

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
bishoptl said:
How long have you been attending these forums
Fair point.
I do feel that I make a valid contribution and I will (of course) read something before passing any kind of judgement or stating an opinion. To have not read the source material, but to have pretended to, then pass judgement is just, well, I find it incomprehensible and feel that it would only damage the enjoyment and reputation of one of the best Internet gaming communities.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Folder said:
To have not read the source material, but to have pretended to, then pass judgement is just, well, I find it incomprehensible and feel that it would only damage the enjoyment and reputation of one of the best Internet gaming communities.
How long have you been attending these forums :lol :lol That's what these mofos do best.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
bishoptl said:
How long have you been attending these forums :lol :lol That's what these mofos do best.

*holds head in hands*
:)

Brannon

In this game I'm probably going to install explosives in every car I buy/steal. And if they all get taken to the impound lot...

Must resist the shiny, candy like button....

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
bjork said:
That's a hands on? More like "we just mishmashed earlier GTA articles"

Dood that's what most website do when they have no new information, let's republish all the separate previews seen all over the web, then we'll add our own witty text in it!

;) Seriously though the only new information I saw was the fact that cars which use to disappear(which I assumed was due to memory constraints), will now actually end up at the impound... I wonder what the actual extent of that is in terms of # of cars, certain impounds, etc... This game potentially has ALOT more to track than previous GTA's....

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Jesus christ a goddamn week? I can't wait for this game to come out! :)

Folder I have to subscribe to your website in order to view any articles? Just making sure because the link takes me to a Copyright Information page and not the article. Thanks in advance kind sir.

garrickk

Someone needs to explain to me why in the world you would want to invest time and energy customizing your ride in a GTA game?

I mean, I "park" in GTA III and VC by trying to flip the vehicle several times into the spot I want to go (imagine the scene in Ace Ventura II). I can't imagine any vehicle ever lasting longer than 2-3 minutes in my hands. It's my favorite part.

I managed to park tanks in my garage and keep them for a while, but hey, thats a tank.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Folder said:

yeah, that and people pimping their own fansites.

Insertia

garrickk said:
Someone needs to explain to me why in the world you would want to invest time and energy customizing your ride in a GTA game?

I mean, I "park" in GTA III and VC by trying to flip the vehicle several times into the spot I want to go (imagine the scene in Ace Ventura II). I can't imagine any vehicle ever lasting longer than 2-3 minutes in my hands. It's my favorite part.

I managed to park tanks in my garage and keep them for a while, but hey, thats a tank.

GTA:SA is a lot more grounded then the rest of the series. CJ fits in with various cliques by keeping a certain appearance. I assume that applies to his cars as well.

Vlad

garrickk said:

Well, even if cars are as expendable as they were in previous games, it's still a neat feature. I used to keep a fleet of all the sports cars in my garages in the previous games, and it was pretty cool to be stuck for a ride, walk up to my hideout, and see four shiny new Stingers/Cheetas/Banshees/etc in there. Sure, they always ended up getting wrecked eventually, but it's a way to distinguish vehicles from the sea of available vehicles out there. Most of the time people don't care if they lose their car, simply because they know they can get another one pretty easily. However, if they're in a car that they've spent a good amount of money and time getting customized, they may not be so reckless.

It's also entirely possible that you won't even have to customize your car for any part of the game. You most likely can just ignore that aspect of the game if you feel like it. Personally, I'm more concerned with how they're going to implement the eating aspect. If the game clock runs at the same speed as GTA3, and the main character has to eat at least once a day, that's gonna get pretty irritating pretty fast.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Vlad said:
Personally, I'm more concerned with how they're going to implement the eating aspect. If the game clock runs at the same speed as GTA3, and the main character has to eat at least once a day, that's gonna get pretty irritating pretty fast.

As the preview states, eating simply replaces the "surreal heart pick-ups".

This won't be The Sims.

COCKLES

being watched
boutrosinit said:

Seriously though; this game is going to ruin about a million other games. Will anyone bother buying anything else other than the Super AAA trilogy of Halo 2, Half Life 2 and GTA: SA?

Games industry = owned

If I was...say Midway, I'd think long and hard about releasing Area 51 in the new year. To put it out in November will be suicide with Halo 2. Same with any GTA rip-off on PS2.

M3wThr33

Banned
TrueCrime had vehicles you stuck with for a while. They out performed the crap normally on the street so it gave you an incentive not to fuck around with it.

Sullichin

Why is this article split into 6 pages? I hate when sites do this, especially if the article isn't all that long to begin with (like this one). The first "page" is only 2 paragraphs.

Sounds good from what I read, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
boutrosinit said:

Games industry = owned

Yeah, I'm gonna get the game MAF mentioned above... :p

Top Bottom