• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Bill Watterson!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
t7lgNci.jpg

On this day, Bill Watterson was born. What better way to celebrate it then by posting Calvin and Hobbes strips.

NEO0MJ

One of my favorite comic writers and artists of all time. We had so many Collections of C&H.
The series was so much better than it has any right to be. He switches so perfectly between cartoonish and realistic, funny and serious.

Also, I'm always freaked out by how similar he looks to Calvin's dad whenever I see his photos.

Loxley

He remains one of my biggest inspirations.

I'd post strips but I'm on my phone atm, my favorites were always the snowman strips.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GOAT comic writer, but man, I feel terrible for feeling bitter toward him sometimes. I think of all the years we could have been getting Calvin and Hobbes since he retired and just wonder, "Why?" Just me being selfish, I guess. What we got was golden.

Amazing stuff that stands the test of time.

Khaliss

Banned
I have a couple of his Collections in the bathroom and read them often during drunken sit down pees :)

Happy Birthday!

jmood88

I had no idea that we had the same birthday. He's probably directly responsible for about half of the words in my vocabulary.

Best comic strip artist of all time. And the lengths he went to to protect the integrity of his creations shows that C&H was much more than a money maker, it was something much more personal. I look forward to the day I can hand down all of my books to my daughter so she can read them for the first time.

sikkinixx

Best comic strip ever. Hell best cartoon anything ever. I only wish he were a more public person, is love to hear him chat on podcasts or write for some magazine or whatever. I get why he stopped doing C&H and respect the fact that he wants to be left alone but man it's a huge shame.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Him and Gary Larson fundamentally shaped who I am as a human being. Grew up learning to read Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side.

Got this done last year.

They should make a movie tbh

As long as Bill is alive, it will never happen. He fought tooth and nail to have complete control over C&H, and has stated many many times that he will never commercialize it beyond the collections books. If you see shirts or stickers with Calvin, none of it was done with his permission. He has turned down many offers from other well known and respected artists to take over the strip. He has something special in C&H, and he wont risk ruining it. And I respect him for that. He didnt want it to turn into another Dennis the Menace situation, so he quit once he felt it was the right time and moved off to live a private life as one of the GOATs.

Dude needs to learn about the 3-panel rule.

Do I dare ask what this is?

Accoun

What did Trump ever do to ruin my favorite comic strip of all time? Did he retweeted a modified C&H strip that was racist as fuck? What the hell happened?

People started pasting Trump's face on Calvin in some strips, where Calvin was on the assholish side. There was a thread on it earlier. Some people REALLY didn't like the association.

Do I dare ask what this is?

An idiotic rule that I believe someone in one of GAF's funny pics threads made up, which states that comic strips should be three panels or less. Basically, if a strip doesn't deliver the funny almost immediately, it's not worth their time. Dilbert would be the ideal comic for these people if Scott Adams wasn't considered persona non grata around these parts.

E-Cat

An idiotic rule that I believe someone in one of GAF's funny pics threads made up, which states that comic strips should be three panels or less. Basically, if a strip doesn't deliver the funny almost immediately, it's not worth their time. Dilbert would be the ideal comic for these people if Scott Adams wasn't considered persona non grata around these parts.
But Sunday strip C&H are the best C&H.

This is actually the first time I've ever seen a picture of Bill Watterson. This is not how I imaged him at all. He actually looks very similar to Calvin's father. I wonder if that was intentional.

E-Cat

This is actually the first time I've ever seen a picture of Bill Watterson. This is not how I imaged him at all. He actually looks very similar to Calvin's father. I wonder if that was intentional.
Calvin's father is modeled after his own father; so by extension, yeah.

What the hell did Adams do to deserve that?

Also, Watterson would take one look at that three panel rule, politely tell you to get bent, and publish elsewhere. The man was such a force in the industry that newspapers would essentially let him do his sunday panels however he wanted every week. Those that didnt cave immediately did so later on.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
So formative to my philosophy. I would love to hang out with Watterson for a few hours and just chat about life. I have a feeling it would be pretty fun and very eye opening.

It's just a shame that he burned out on Calvin and Hobbes so quickly, but given the insane amount of work and soul he put into it I can totally see why he did.

Culex

Banned
A birthday present from almost 10 years ago was that humongous hardbound collection in a box. I am definitely passing it down to my son when he's older.

Aeana

Also, Watterson would take one look at that three panel rule, politely tell you to get bent, and publish elsewhere. The man was such a force in the industry that newspapers would essentially let him do his sunday panels however he wanted every week. Those that didnt cave immediately did so later on.
He spends his time complaining about how feminists and SJWs are ruining the world, so he's not very popular amongst such individuals.

I'll let someone else answer that, because I don't want to get into it. Suffice to say the most recent thread about Scott Adams blog consisted of people proclaiming that Adams should get fucked and that Dilbert was ruined for them. ModBot locked the thread early, calling Adams an MRA racist. Good times.

And yeah, unlike many newspaper cartoonists today, Watterson knew how to be funny and tell a story at the same time. C&H was sort of like a less cartoony Peanuts in that way.

Also, if you read his Sunday strips, he does deliver funny by the second panel. It's always a funny joke that has little consequence to the rest of the strip (in case it gets removed by the editor for space).

He spends his time complaining about how feminists and SJWs are ruining the world, so he's not very popular amongst such individuals.

Ah, well that would explain that then. I never got much into the mind behind Dilbert, so I never would have known.

Also, if you read his Sunday strips, he does deliver funny by the second panel. It's always a funny joke that has little consequence to the rest of the strip (in case it gets removed by the editor for space).

Yah, his little one off jokes are always a great way to start off the strip. Although I dont think they got edited out very often, the man had a lot of control over the entire process.

Cyan

Banned

I think that came from vgcats threads. Where the guy couldn't tell a concise joke to save his life, and someone discovered that if you just cut out almost all the panels it became much better.

Yah, his little one off jokes are always a great way to start off the strip. Although I dont think they got edited out very often, the man had a lot of control over the entire process.
I'm not sure it ever was edited out, but I remember reading somewhere where he said that's why he did it. He started it in the comic's early days, when he was still using mostly uniform panels on his Sunday strips. Later, when the strip gained in popularity, he was more free to experiment with his paneling, but he still kept that little throwaway joke in those strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom