• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Bill Watterson!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Dear Mr. Watterson is a must watch for fans.

Should be on Netflix.

ngzZNYe.jpg

Oooh I gotta see this.

Beartruck

Poor Richard Thompson :(

Calvin and Hobbes was absolutely formative for me. Still love the giant collection I have, probably my favourite gift ever

Why poor Richard Thompson? Something happen to the dude?

Edit: Read his wikipedia page. Fuck Parkinsons.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think that came from vgcats threads. Where the guy couldn't tell a concise joke to save his life, and someone discovered that if you just cut out almost all the panels it became much better.
This is the correct history as I remember it.

KAOz

Short bus special
Wait. Holy shit. It was his birthday yesterday?
I spent it by ordering the Calvin & Hobbes Complete Collection.... amazing coinkidink.

Happy birthday to the GOAT.

Agreed. If I'm being completely honest, I thought it was kind of bad. I can't even remember why anymore . . .
I liked it quite a bit, actually, but it really was more about the filmmaker than Watterson, in the end, punctuated by him not being able to get an interview with Watterson. I think he still did the best he could, given the constraints he had, though. Stripped is a lot better, though it's about the industry in general (which is probably why they ended up getting the interview with the man himself).

Jayof9s

This reminds me that just the other night I realized it had been a while since my last reread of my complete collection. I'll have to crack that open again soon.

GOAT comic writer, but man, I feel terrible for feeling bitter toward him sometimes. I think of all the years we could have been getting Calvin and Hobbes since he retired and just wonder, "Why?" Just me being selfish, I guess. What we got was golden.

Amazing stuff that stands the test of time.

I know I was disappointed when the comics ended (more than 20 years ago now, ugh), however, as much as I would have liked to see more C&H I think I prefer that the series ended still in its prime and didn't become stale, formulaic, and watered down like so many other comics do when they continue long past the point where they were still viable and entertaining.

An idiotic rule that I believe someone in one of GAF's funny pics threads made up, which states that comic strips should be three panels or less. Basically, if a strip doesn't deliver the funny almost immediately, it's not worth their time. Dilbert would be the ideal comic for these people if Scott Adams wasn't considered persona non grata around these parts.

It's okay. Normally I believe that opinions can't be wrong but those people don't even deserve a response because they are entirely wrong.

jadedm17

A legend and visionary.

I had no idea my favorite comic as a kid would be my favorite comic as an adult and still teach me new things.

Happy Birthday Bill Watterson

Edit : Im fine how it ended, i just wish he licensed more. At all. Id like a Hobbes doll and some tshirts at the least. I love the pride he has for his art but there was a lot of money left on the table here.

I received a C&H compilation book containing ALL of his comic strips for Christmas, and it's one of the best gifts I've ever receieved.

GOAT for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom