• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harley Davidson to starting shipping some jobs overseas due to tariffs

rokkerkory

https://www.apnews.com/6c8942f73637...g-by-tariffs,-shifts-some-production-overseas

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Harley-Davidson, up against spiraling costs from tariffs, will begin to shift the production of motorcycles headed for Europe from the U.S. to factories overseas.

The European Union on Friday began rolling out tariffs on American imports like bourbon, peanut butter and orange juice. The EU tariffs on $3.4 billion worth of U.S. products are retaliation for duties the Trump administration is imposing on European steel and aluminum.

President Donald Trump has used Harley-Davidson as an example of a U.S. business that is being harmed by trade barriers. Yet Harley has warned consistently against tariffs, saying they would negatively impact sales.

Harley-Davidson Inc. sold almost 40,000 motorcycles in the European Union last year, generating revenue second only to the United States, according to the Milwaukee company.
The maker of the iconic American motorcycle said in a regulatory filing Monday that EU tariffs on its motorcycles exported from the U.S. jumped between 6 percent and 31 percent, which translates into an additional, incremental cost of about $2,200 per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.

Harley Davidson is about American as apple pie, this just sucks for the workers as they will be hit hardest. Trade wars / tariffs are NOT great policies.

NickFire

Wars are never great policies. Unfortunately, sometimes they are the only way to get things done. And running from a war the second there is a casualty is a far worse policy then getting into it in the first place.

AfricanKing

Trump Supporters of Gaf .. this is what you wanted this whole time..

You guys been playing smart you wanted to out source jobs all this time to other countries to distribute wealth elsewhere and not in America .. Smart

Wars are never great policies. Unfortunately, sometimes they are the only way to get things done. And running from a war the second there is a casualty is a far worse policy then getting into it in the first place.

Trump started with a bad strategy devoid of economic sense, so he's going to have to exit it now that bullypolitics won't work.

So Harley-Davidson is taking the cost of EU tariffs, to maintain the same price. And in the long game they're shifting some production to EU facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

rokkerkory

Since when has trade wars ever worked? Especially when they are against our allies for decades if not hundreds of years?

Harley's business has been in trouble long before the EU tariffs were enacted. Last January, they closed down one of their bigger factories in Kansas City Missouri. The motorcycle industry in general has been on a downward trajectory since the 08 recession. Most companies sales volumes are about half of what they used to be. Less people are riding than ever. Especially young people aren't getting into the hobby. Most of the baby boomers that fueled all of their growth have stopped riding or buying new motorcycles.

Since when has trade wars ever worked? Especially when they are against our allies for decades if not hundreds of years?

Actually high tariffs was the default policy of the US from about 1865 until the 1920s. Tariffs are not the boogieman Trump detractors make them out to be. When we have such high trade deficits with almost everyone, they make sense. And the "allies" we trade with should recognize our right to try and bring the trade relationship back into balance. When they retalliate and raise a tariff in response to our tariff, it just encourages us to impose even more of them. Trump is not starting a trade war. We already lost the trade war. To the tune of almost 400 billion a year with China. And 150 billion a year with the EU. And about 70 billion a year with Mexico.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Harley's business has been in trouble long before the EU tariffs were enacted. Last January, they closed down one of their bigger factories in Kansas City Missouri. The motorcycle industry in general has been on a downward trajectory since the 08 recession. Most companies sales volumes are about half of what they used to be. Less people are riding than ever. Especially young people aren't getting into the hobby. Most of the baby boomers that fueled all of their growth have stopped riding or buying new motorcycles.

Actually high tariffs was the default policy of the US from about 1865 until the 1920s. Tariffs are not the boogieman Trump detractors make them out to be. When we have such high trade deficits with almost everyone, they make sense. And the "allies" we trade with should recognize our right to try and bring the trade relationship back into balance. When they retalliate and raise a tariff in response to our tariff, it just encourages us to impose even more of them. Trump is not starting a trade war. We already lost the trade war. To the tune of almost 400 billion a year with China. And 150 billion a year with the EU. And about 70 billion a year with Mexico.

Over a 100 years ago? Global economies have changed drastically since then. USA isn't the only mighty nation that everyone else wants good from. It's a global economy now that has huge dependencies. You cannot affect one nation negatively without affecting another anymore. These nations are just as economically powerful as we are if not more in certain segments, they aren't going to bow down or need to.

Also since when do GOPers like taxes and revert their stance on free market trade? What a flip flop.

When we have such high trade deficits with almost everyone, they make sense.

We have trade deficits of goods because we are a consumption economy. We like cheap prices, and our dollar is strong is the general gist. On services we have a massive surplus.

Tariffs are good where needed. Trump doesn't descern for that.

Also since when do GOPers like taxes and revert their stance on free market trade? What a flip flop.

Free trade. Not stupid trade. Our trade deficit last year was almost 600 billion dollars. That hurts our economy. Of course the other countries that have benefited from that massive imbalance dont want to give up their advantage. They are fighting tooth and nail. But we hold the cards. Our consumer economy is, by far, the largest of any country in the world.

Anyone who doesn't recognize the unfairness of it, is either A) not living in the US, so their interests are not the same. Or B) so anti-Trump they're blind to anything positive he's doing.

rokkerkory

Free trade. Not stupid trade. Our trade deficit last year was almost 600 billion dollars. That hurts our economy. Of course the other countries that have benefited from that massive imbalance dont want to give up their advantage. They are fighting tooth and nail. But we hold the cards. Our consumer economy is, by far, the largest of any country in the world.

Anyone who doesn't recognize the unfairness of it, is either A) not living in the US, so their interests are not the same. Or B) so anti-Trump they're blind to anything positive he's doing.

First off you contradict yourself and have you seen our economy over the last couple of years? Is it really hurting? The only thing this is hurting are the Harley Davidson workers and today's stock market nosedive due to retaliation from other countries.

NickFire

These nations are just as economically powerful as we are if not more in certain segments, they aren't going to bow down or need to.

Predicting that someone with the most to lose will not bow down does not lead me to believe that we should bow down or not try in earnest. I am perfectly fine with any effort to bring manufacturing back, and will not be scared by a few counter-punches. I am 100% opposed to making decisions on the assumption that manufacturing is not coming back, and don't care how many people who have been bought and paid for by large corporations looking for cheap labor say otherwise.

Last edited:

rokkerkory

Predicting that someone with the most to lose will not bow down does not lead me to believe that we should bow down or not try in earnest. I am perfectly fine with any effort to bring manufacturing back, and will not be scared by a few counter-punches. I am 100% opposed to making decisions on the assumption that manufacturing is not coming back, and don't care how many people who have been bought and paid for by large corporations looking for cheap labor say otherwise.

Oh I am glad you are in a comfortable position to say losing jobs is OK. I am sure those that will lose jobs won't be OK with it.

It's not unfair, it is structural. The economy goes deeper than deficits and our #1 status relies on us being the world's reserve currency. As long as foreign nations are investing in the U.S., economists are happy, and so are you in part if you care about low interests rates, which has a huge impact on our standard of living.

The bad thing about trade deficits are the pressures on wages. We can address that otherwise.

https://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/causes-consequences-us-trade-deficit

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-china-trade-deficit-causes-effects-and-solutions-3306277

First off you contradict yourself and have you seen our economy over the last couple of years? Is it really hurting?

I'm not contradicting myself. You're conflating different issues. The economy can be doing relatively well and yet we can still be getting hurt by the trade deficits.

Oh I am glad you are in a comfortable position to say losing jobs is OK. I am sure those that will lose jobs won't be OK with it.

These huge multilateral trade deals have cause us to lose millions of jobs. Many of the jobs that were lost to low wage countries paid good middle class wages. Although I was young, I still remember the '92 presidential campaign. Ross Perot was very prescient. He correctly predicted NAFTA would cause millions of jobs to be decimated.

Unemployment might be low, and the stock market is breaking records, but wages have been stagnant forever. I recently read a report that said the average millennial is earning 20% less than the previous generation at the same stage in their lives.

NickFire

Personal insinuations / digs do not convince me that I am wrong.

Second, I have no objection to providing temporary aid to those who are economically harmed by the trade war. And if I lost my job I'd much rather get a hand-up from someone trying to prevent it from happening over and over, than say a stern chastising to get over it, accept that the jobs are not coming back, and that I am an idiot for not getting training for a bunch of phantom jobs that don't exist in my neighborhood and which the same assholes are trying to export from the neighborhoods where they do exist. Seriously, how long before the white collars get the same talking point as all their jobs ship out?

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Interest rates have been too low for too long. It disincentivizes saving. There is so much "free" money around it encourages moral hazards.

Interest rates are low because real employment and wages haven't been rising at a rate that would guarantee there would be no recession if they did rise. The interest rate being low is an unfortunately side effect of a shifting global economy where we have depressed wages and earnings.

Agree with much of what you said.

However, I would replace "free" trade with fair trade. You have to hand it to places like China, Japan, and South Korea. Global powers like America tried to play them when it comes to protectionism and liberalization. And in the end the American people lost. Amazing honestly. Those countries have gotten very rich reaping the benefits of markets and avoiding the downsides by protecting their country with their big governments. When you think about how poor they used to be and how they're among the richest now it's impressive.

I think it's good that Pres. Trump is getting people to rethink how America fits in and pushing for change. Pointing out how America squandered its leverage. How its leaders made bad deals. Now that's not say China should feel bad, but Pres. Trump and his team has to figure out a way to put America first again. Figure out how to tip the scales back into the American people's favor after losing for so long. It's going to be tough but you have to start somewhere.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I doubt they will do this. The entire "brand" is based on "made in the USA/we are US bikes". If they start manufacturing or move any production it will ENRAGE the entire Harley base of owners who are 96% all about Murrica. It would be such a bad look for the brand, hence I doubt they will do it. I feel like its just a bargaining chip or way to be more relevant.

Last edited:
It looks like Harley Davidson has been struggling for a while now.

Anecdotally I can't think of anyone in my group of people who think positively on motorcycle owning or driving. It doesn't seem like it's "cool" anymore.

Here's an old article talking about their challenges:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/harley-davidson-sales-decline-continues-2018-01-30

Seems like they were aiming for 50% sales from international markets to try and make up for the decline in the US.

TheMikado

Banned
Agree with much of what you said.

However, I would replace "free" trade with fair trade. You have to hand it to places like China, Japan, and South Korea. Global powers like America tried to play them when it comes to protectionism and liberalization. And in the end the American people lost. Amazing honestly. Those countries have gotten very rich reaping the benefits of markets and avoiding the downsides by protecting their country with their big governments. When you think about how poor they used to be and how they're among the richest now it's impressive.

I think it's good that Pres. Trump is getting people to rethink how America fits in and pushing for change. Pointing out how America squandered its leverage. How its leaders made bad deals. Now that's not say China should feel bad, but Pres. Trump and his team has to figure out a way to put America first again. Figure out how to tip the scales back into the American people's favor after losing for so long. It's going to be tough but you have to start somewhere.

But you can’t just dive head long into a trade and war with countries who are far better prepared to compete. You have to compete on what you excel at which for America is IP.

Really at the end of the day there’s only so many ways this can play out. That said the only way this could even work is if Trump was feigning being batsh*t crazy on this trade war to get them to enforce our IP without the added baggage of TPP and also make it look like a bigger win for him. Even if this were all true and part of some master manipulation plan Personally I wouldn’t have risked economic stability coming out of horrible recession just to get essentially a slightly better deal.

rokkerkory

I doubt they will do this. The entire "brand" is based on "made in the USA/we are US bikes". If they start manufacturing or move any production it will ENRAGE the entire Harley base of owners who are 96% all about Murrica. It would be such a bad look for the brand, hence I doubt they will do it. I feel like its just a bargaining chip or way to be more relevant.

I dont know I hope not as well but not looking too good.

FStubbs

Over a 100 years ago? Global economies have changed drastically since then. USA isn't the only mighty nation that everyone else wants good from. It's a global economy now that has huge dependencies. You cannot affect one nation negatively without affecting another anymore. These nations are just as economically powerful as we are if not more in certain segments, they aren't going to bow down or need to.

It's almost as if both of those are mere tools in service of another agenda and now those things stand in the way of that agenda, so they're discarded.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody buys Harleys anymore since today's youth is all about speed and you can find that in a Yamaha or Honda bike for half the price.

Texas Pride

Banned
Let's not pretend Harley Davidson bike sales haven't been declining well BEFORE the tariffs. Millennials don't buy HD bikes. Not to mention the best HD bikes are the older models anyway.

We have trade deficits of goods because we are a consumption economy.

You don't say! A trade war with Europe will do absolutely nothing to bring back manufacturing jobs. What it might do is reduce them. Some of these comments read like people who watch Fox news daily and take their opinions from there.

America first is the dumbest slogan of all time and dumb people obviously believe in it, because in my 40+ years on this earth, America has only cared about one thing: America. Trump loves to complain about the European immigration chaos and terrorism (which kills the exact same number of people it did in the 80's) and doesn't recognize the cause of it. I guess when you bomb an area for a decade and throw away money while accomplishing absolutely nothing, you can still blame others for the results.

But this is the new America, where the president wants to get Putin back into the G7 negotiations and dictators are "good negotiators", yet all the allies are bad. Gee, I wonder how that foreign policy will work in the long run. /s

Last edited:
But you can’t just dive head long into a trade and war with countries who are far better prepared to compete. You have to compete on what you excel at which for America is IP.

Really at the end of the day there’s only so many ways this can play out. That said the only way this could even work is if Trump was feigning being batsh*t crazy on this trade war to get them to enforce our IP without the added baggage of TPP and also make it look like a bigger win for him. Even if this were all true and part of some master manipulation plan Personally I wouldn’t have risked economic stability coming out of horrible recession just to get essentially a slightly better deal.

America excels at a lot more than granting intellectual property as an incentive to innovate and trying to get other countries to recognize its wild rules. The best way for it to play out for Pres. Trump is to make sure new trade deals prioritize ordinary people who helped him get elected. Moreover, the US needs to strike a better balance between protectionism and liberalization that tips the scales back in its favor. Fair trade. America first. Whatever you want to call it.

In the end, America can't compete with rich countries like China and Japan that have opened their markets in some ways and walled them off in others. The US has to try and shift the paradigm if it wants to be happier.

Dev1lXYZ

You don't say! A trade war with Europe will do absolutely nothing to bring back manufacturing jobs. What it might do is reduce them. Some of these comments read like people who watch Fox news daily and take their opinions from there.

America first is the dumbest slogan of all time and dumb people obviously believe in it, because in my 40+ years on this earth, America has only cared about one thing: America. Trump loves to complain about the European immigration chaos and terrorism (which kills the exact same number of people it did in the 80's) and doesn't recognize the cause of it. I guess when you bomb an area for a decade and throw away money while accomplishing absolutely nothing, you can still blame others for the results.

But this is the new America, where the president wants to get Putin back into the G7 negotiations and dictators are "good negotiators", yet all the allies are bad. Gee, I wonder how that foreign policy will work in the long run. /s

In recent weeks, prominent academics have begun to question if China’s slowing, trade-dependent economy can withstand a sustained attack from Trump, which has already started to weigh on stock prices. The sentiments are being expressed in carefully worded essays circulated on China’s heavily censored internet and -- according to interviews in recent days with ministry officials and foreign diplomats who asked not to be identified -- repeated in the halls of government offices, too.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-china-wonders-whether-it-s-up-for-the-fight

Now if big bad China doesn’t want to go toe to toe with us, do you think Europe will?
What you have to accept is that WE ARE THE BIGGEST and BADDEST country that has ever existed.
One flick of our wrist and Germany/France/UK would shit their britches.
It’s time you and your ilk realized that you exist because WE allow it.
Or perhaps you would like a nice protracted war as Russia stomps on you.

The U.S is going against the EU, NAFTA and China. That's not sustainable, and the U.S. is already having collateral damage from it.

Once more, Trump does not have a trade plan.

Naudi

Banned
In recent weeks, prominent academics have begun to question if China’s slowing, trade-dependent economy can withstand a sustained attack from Trump, which has already started to weigh on stock prices. The sentiments are being expressed in carefully worded essays circulated on China’s heavily censored internet and -- according to interviews in recent days with ministry officials and foreign diplomats who asked not to be identified -- repeated in the halls of government offices, too.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-china-wonders-whether-it-s-up-for-the-fight

Now if big bad China doesn’t want to go toe to toe with us, do you think Europe will?
What you have to accept is that WE ARE THE BIGGEST and BADDEST country that has ever existed.

Yeah you're a totally normal dude. Dude.

The last few sentences are so stupid that a grown man (or woman) should never ever type/write/say that. Jesus. Feel superior much?

Next time your biggest and baddest country helps us (my country) in a war will be the first, you haven’t won a single war in 70+ years now, but you have absolutely ruined a few regions without breaking a sweat. While you bomb countries for no reason whatsoever, your government complains it doesn’t have money to properly educate the kids or for healthcare. Thus leading to posts like yours. That’s what you get when your educational system is at a level of a 3rd world country.

And to the question of why would Trump go for trade wars if they are a bad idea: i’ll take “because he’s stupid” for 500 Alex. When one person runs on a platform where he says constantly that he’s a great businessman, maybe you should actually look into that before you just take his word for it. Because the evidence suggests that he’s not.

Last edited:

Maedre

Banned
The USA just has nothing to offer that other Countries want to buy. That’s the only reason for this huge deficit.

Dev1lXYZ

The last few sentences are so stupid that a grown man (or woman) should never ever type/write/say that. Jesus. Feel superior much?

Next time your biggest and baddest country helps us (my country) in a war will be the first, you haven’t won a single war in 70+ years now, but you have absolutely ruined a few regions without breaking a sweat. While you bomb countries for no reason whatsoever, your government complains it doesn’t have money to properly educate the kids or for healthcare. Thus leading to posts like yours. That’s what you get when your educational system is at a level of a 3rd world country.

And to the question of why would Trump go for trade wars if they are a bad idea: i’ll take “because he’s stupid” for 500 Alex. When one person runs on a platform where he says constantly that he’s a great businessman, maybe you should actually look into that before you just take his word for it. Because the evidence suggests that he’s not.

The USA is the sole SUPERPOWER in the world. Unfortunately, we won't be there when Russia rolls their tanks through your little streets. 'Should have been in NATO' is probably going be a prevaling thought. It's going to be much worse than the Winter War of '39 which led to the cession of the Gulf of Finland islands, Karelian Isthmus, Ladoga Karelia, Salla, and Rybachy Peninsula, and lease of Hanko to the Soviet Union.

Don't know of any billionaire businessmen that are considered stupid, sorry. You lost on Jeopardy, baby.

Dev1lXYZ

The USA just has nothing to offer that other Countries want to buy. That’s the only reason for this huge deficit.

The primary U.S. trading partners are China($636 billion total trade), Canada ($582 billion), Mexico ($557 billion). The trade deficit with China is $375 billion. It's responsible for 66 percent of the total U.S. deficit in goods. The other U.S. trading partners don't create much of a deficit.

We take care of China, and we are back on track. Trump is on that. 🇺🇸

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-trade-deficit-causes-effects-trade-partners-3306276

TheMikado

Banned
The primary U.S. trading partners are China($636 billion total trade), Canada ($582 billion), Mexico ($557 billion). The trade deficit with China is $375 billion. It's responsible for 66 percent of the total U.S. deficit in goods. The other U.S. trading partners don't create much of a deficit.

We take care of China, and we are back on track. Trump is on that. 🇺🇸

https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-trade-deficit-causes-effects-trade-partners-3306276

But your articles premise is incorrect.

Here's a better article from 1998 so it doesn't have all the partisan BS attached.

https://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/causes-consequences-us-trade-deficit

Testimony
June 11, 1998
Committee on Finance
United States Senate

Mr. Chairman and members of the Senate Finance Committee: Thank you for allowing me to testify on the causes and consequences of the U.S. trade deficit.
The economic turmoil in East Asia has thrust America’s trade deficit back into the news. Perhaps no aspect of American trade is talked about more and understood less than the trade deficit. It has been cited as conclusive proof of unfair trade barriers abroad or a lack of competitiveness among U.S. industries at home. It has been blamed for destroying jobs and dragging down economic growth. I welcome the opportunity to present a more charitable view of this much abused trade number.
The U.S. trade deficit is the result of a net inflow of capital to the United States from the rest of the world. Because of our stable and relatively free domestic market, we remain the world’s most popular destination for foreign investment. We have become a net importer of capital because Americans do not save enough to finance all the available investment opportunities in our economy. This inflow of capital from abroad allows us to pay for imports over and above what we export.
In other words, the trade deficit is simply a mirror reflection of the larger macroeconomic reality that investment in the United States exceeds domestic savings. If we want to change the U.S. trade deficit we must change the rate at which Americans save and invest.
In a study published by the Cato Institute in April, I address four enduring myths about the U.S. trade deficit. Two of them relate to causes, two to consequences.
The first myth is that the overall U.S. trade deficit is caused by unfair trade barriers abroad. Foreign barriers are certainly a problem, just as our own barriers to imports remain a problem. But trade restrictions do not determine the overall U.S. trade deficit, nor do they fully account for the differences in bilateral trade balances. For example, the United States runs a large trade surplus with Brazil, a country with relatively high trade barriers, while we run deficits with Mexico and Canada, two countries virtually open to U.S. exports.
The second myth is that trade deficits are caused by a lack of U.S. industrial competitiveness. This myth has been refuted by the stellar performance of the American economy, which today is the envy of the world. Since 1992, the U.S. trade deficit has tripled. During that same time, U.S. industrial production has surged 24 percent and manufacturing output 27 percent. The American people sell more goods and services in the global marketplace than people of any other country.
A third myth is that trade deficits destroy jobs. Again, the performance of the U.S. economy in the last decade should lay that myth to rest. While the trade deficit has expanded, so have American payrolls. Indeed, there is a strong correlation between rising trade deficits and falling rates of unemployment. The reason is simple: The same expanding economy that stimulates demand for labor also raises demand for imported goods and capital.
The final myth is that trade deficits are a drag on the U.S. economy. With the slowdown in East Asia, this seems a reasonable claim. But the drag is not the trade deficit itself, but falling demand for our exports in the Far East. A trade deficit that reflects both risingexports and even more rapidly rising imports can be a sign of health. That has been the case in the United States for most of past two decades. Since 1980, the U.S economy has grown an average of 3.1 percent in years in which the current account deficit has expanded from the previous year, and an average of only 2.0 percent in years in which the deficit has shrunk. If trade deficits are bad for growth, why does the U.S. economy grow more than 50 percent faster when the trade deficit expands?
Frankly, we would have more reason to worry if the U.S. were running a trade surplus. In Mexico in 1995 and more recently in South Korea and other East Asian countries, trade balances flipped overnight from deficit to surplus because of plunging domestic demand and the flight of foreign capital. In Japan today, a soaring trade surplus has been accompanied by record high unemployment. It’s no coincidence that America’s smallest trade deficit in recent years occurred in 1991 - in the trough of our last recession.
What does all this mean for policy? First, there is no emergency. The trade deficit is not a sign of economic distress, but of rising domestic demand and investment. Second, the trade deficit is largely immune to changes in trade policy. Imposing new trade barriers will only make Americans worse off while leaving the trade deficit virtually unchanged.
In conclusion, I would urge Congress to ignore the trade deficit and focus instead on reducing and eliminating barriers to trade, wherever they exist.
Thank you for letting me speak and I would be glad to answer any questions.
  • Committee on Finance
    United States Senate

Again, as they said in the other thread. The impact of all this is minimum. This is akin to posturing and causing problems and upheaval for the sake of causing change. This is a distraction and its not sound long-term fiscal policy. That's why so many in congress are against this. Because it shows a gross and oversimplification of a very complicated trade process.

Dev1lXYZ

But your articles premise is incorrect.

Here's a better article from 1998 so it doesn't have all the partisan BS attached.

Again, as they said in the other thread. The impact of all this is minimum. This is akin to posturing and causing problems and upheaval for the sake of causing change. This is a distraction and its not sound long-term fiscal policy. That's why so many in congress are against this. Because it shows a gross and oversimplification of a very complicated trade process.

I'll stand by the Cato Institute's findings.

Top Bottom