• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

has anyone seen "hero" starring jet li?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw the trailer for it before kill bill vol 2 and it looked incredible. awesome cinematography and fight scenes. i just found out you can actually buy the dvd already even though it's not scheduled for release until next month. plus, the dvd is a director's cut with 20 additional minutes that are will be missing from the theatrical release.

so, has anyone seen it? and if so, would you recommend buying the dvd now, or should i wait for the theatrical release before importing it from china?

edit:

here's a link to the the trailer. right-click to save.

http://mp3content03.bcst.yahoo.com/proot4/PubShare14/yahoomovies/4/6040086.mov

i thought it was heavy handed and boring. Dont get it if you are expecting kick ass fight scenes. The movie is filled with alot of talking mumbo jumbo. Great art Direction but crappy everything else.

RiZ III

Yea. I must say it was boring and no good. Didn't really have any cool fights that I remember. I reccommend Azumi if you want to see cool fight scenes. Or maybe Musa the Warrior.

I thought Azumi wasnt that great either interms of fight scenes and it didnt have the low budget charm of versus either.

PPl need to watch Ong-Bak. It has some great fights.

DJ_Tet

Banned
={<SMOKE>}= said:
so, has anyone seen it? and if so, would you recommend buying the dvd now, or should i wait for the theatrical release before importing it from china?

It was horrible. I recommend you get a "friend" to buy it if you HAVE to see it. It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, thanks for reminding me.

Asbel

RiZ III said:
Yea. I must say it was boring and no good. Didn't really have any cool fights that I remember. I reccommend Azumi if you want to see cool fight scenes. Or maybe Musa the Warrior.
People are hating on Hero? I know the story can be confusing cause half of it is lies but there really are few kung fu movies with a better story. And Azumi has better fight scenes than Hero? You must hate wire-fu but that still takes more skill then having a bunch of extras standing around waiting to get sliced.

Musa had a better story but the fights were more like army vs army and those fights weren't anything special either.

DJ_Tet

Banned
bjork said:
It's visually pleasing. I say buy it.

Sorry dude, you're an idiot. I'd hesitate to sit through that movie again for free. To each his own though.

It DOES have some decent effects. The movie itself is trash however.

Timbuktu

Hero's a beautiful film, no doubt about that, Christopher Doyle is just amazing, but I think a lot of people finds its political message hard to swallow. The story is at the end very simple, trying to do a Rashomon and failing miserably, simplifying huge issues and twisting history to serve its message at the same time. Personally, I just find it disappointing that a great director like Zhang Yimou who is known to make great emotional and moving films, fails this time when he has so much resources on his hand. Donnie Yen had too little screen time. Proper actors like Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are made to do most of the action scenes and action stars like Jet Li is made to do the acting.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hero is slow.. slower even than the slow parts of CTHD IMO, but it's a visually beautiful film and the 'fights' are choreographed well.

TET: Are you going to continue to re post after EVERY posts to say how bad the movie is?

Solid

I have it on DVD. It rocks! I actually think it's better then Hidden Dragon.

One word can describe the movie: beatiful. The effect are some of the best I've seen too. Especially the first fight. Crazy :)

En-ou

You haters should stick your Kill Bill and what have you.

Hero is too genious of a movie for you ppl to appreciate.

sonatinas

hero is meant to be seen in a theater

i saw hero in hk when it first came out and the large screen really put life in the movie

also, its pretty damn loud

just wait for theaters

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wait you can buy it with subtitles in like best buy or something or you can buy it on bootleg from the usual taiwanese hook ups???

fart

Savant
the 90 minute miramax cut is supposed to be inferior to some other cut that everyone claims to exist but no one seems to actually have seen. that said, the film is really good and i don't know what kind of crack you guys are smoking (OMG <insert piece of kitamura trash is great> but an achingly beautiful and also otherwise great period action drama is a piece of shit? whatever dude). yah, it has its problems - the political message especially, but the problem is definitely not too much talking.

Fjord

It was very artistic, I went in expecting an epic and was dissapointed. However it was still a pretty good movie, I'd recommend seeing it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I have mixed emotions about this movie, it IS extremely beautiful. But like fart said the message is kinda confusing and the movie doesnt really say anything. Its paced really well and is interesting from a film standpoint though. I'd watch it, you wont see many movies like hero thats for sure.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RiZ III said:

Azumi over Hero? You be smokin some crack...

I liked the pulpy story and the audio and visual design. It's no Ashes of Time, or even CTHD, but it is sensually indulging. Nice movie to have on in the background.

I thought it was a great movie. Aside from idolizing Jet Li a bit it was a mix of "Crouching tiger hidden dragon" and "Identity".....in terms of story and visual aspects. I'd say see dat shit

Guzim

fart said:
the 90 minute miramax cut is supposed to be inferior to some other cut that everyone claims to exist but no one seems to actually have seen.
I thought Quentin Tarantino was able to convince Miramax to keep Hero in its original time.

From IMDB.com
Miramax, the distributor, apparently cut out 20 minutes from the movie because they found that part to be "too Asian and confusing" for western audiences. Then-Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein made a deal with Quentin Tarantino that he'd release the film uncut if Tarantino would allow a "Quentin Tarantino Presents" tag at the beginning of the film. Tarantino agreed.

bjork

DJ_Tet said:
Am I thinking about the same film that debued on TBS?

No. So don't call folks idiots until you've got your shit straight.

Besides, fuck you anyway, my opinion is my opinion. Go stroke to Tsao.

fart

Savant
Guzim said:
I thought Quentin Tarantino was able to convince Miramax to keep Hero in its original time.

From IMDB.com
oh crap! i hadn't heard about that. has anyone seen the 110 minute cut? i need to see it, NEED TO

Timbuktu

fart said:
oh crap! i hadn't heard about that. has anyone seen the 110 minute cut? i need to see it, NEED TO

Tell me about it. I really want to see the extended version, it might just fix the problems I had with Hero, mainly that Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung's characters aren't developed enough. And anyway, it would be the perfect film to test out any TVs. Does anyone know who is selling them?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
as far as I've read, the mirimax cut was all that has been released in any region so far. Hopefully the US theatrical release will be the extra footage. There's a particular still image that I saw on the official website that appears to be from the Maggie Cheung/Zhang Zhiyi fight in the forest... except they're dressed in white and are indoors.

I loved this movie, especially the broken narrative.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Hero owns CTHD, it's one of the most visually astounding movies i've ever seen.
Don't try watching it if you have little too no attention spa, this isn't some brain-dead Saturday morning Kung-Fu flick kiddos.....

DJ_Tet

Banned
I have to suck it up and apologize peeps.

I was thinking of "The One." From what you guys are saying about this flick, I may have to check it out.

Once again, I'm sorry.

fart said:

the director's cut is actually 118 minutes. they are not bootlegs, they are legitimate releases. here's a link to an ebay auction. plays on all region dvd players. has english subtitles, remastered for hi-def, and anamorphic widescreen. good price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6311302404&rd=1

this movie looks f'in awesome. i think i'm gonna have to pick this up!

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
DJ_Tet said:
I have to suck it up and apologize peeps.

I was thinking of "The One." From what you guys are saying about this flick, I may have to check it out.

Once again, I'm sorry.

"The one" was indeed pure garbage.

fart said:
the 90 minute miramax cut is supposed to be inferior to some other cut that everyone claims to exist but no one seems to actually have seen. that said, the film is really good and i don't know what kind of crack you guys are smoking (OMG <insert piece of kitamura trash is great> but an achingly beautiful and also otherwise great period action drama is a piece of shit? whatever dude). yah, it has its problems - the political message especially, but the problem is definitely not too much talking.

What exactly was the political message? I haven't seen it yet, but am thinking of buying it.

Lil' Dice

Banned
The Promised One said:
What exactly was the political message? I haven't seen it yet, but am thinking of buying it.

It's almost pro-communism. The fact that the basis for China's communist ideology derived from feudal China, "All Under Heaven" is what they based their imperial system on and has pretty much evolved into what they believe communism is all about today.

To shed a negative/objective light on the nation's history and/or poltical ideals is a big
no-no in China....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom