• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has CAPCOM ever thought in the possibility of making PowerStone 3 ?

ourumov

Well, I know they are progressively abandoning the Arcade world (or at least that's what they say) but considering that they still have some projects on track I find it weird. Why am I directly thinking in an arcade release ?
Well, I think that's the only chance a game like Powerstone has to be released. Some time ago someone posted the commulative sales for DC titles on NA and the PowerStone ones (as the others) were disappointing.

PowerStone was one of the best party-fighters ever made and probably the best one this gen so far. It has everything you need: cool gameplay, tons of interactivity, cool characters and nice stages, a great soundtrack...

When Onimusha Blade Warriors was released I thought it will be like PowerStone 3 in terms of gameplay but I haven't heard anything about it. I am thinking on buying it since it could be a nice game to spend afternoons like PowerStone 2 was... If anyone can elaborate more on the game it would be great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I preferred the first one over the second, of course I would rather have them make a new Rival Schools and/or Darkstalkers game... oh who am I kidding just any NEW fighter! I'm tired of these recycle-every-old-sprite-and-fighting-system-we-have games.

ourumov

Well, I pretty much agree with you...I just talked about PowerStone because it seems like the one with less chances of seeing any kind of port/iteration on the systems of this gen.
3rd Strike is finally getting a new release, the old sprites are re-used again on CFG and PSP is gonna get a Darkstalkers...
But what about PowerStone ?

gunstarhero

They really should release a 3 - not sure how Powerstone 2 sold, but it was one of my favorite party games on the DC. The only (slight) problem was the camera had to zoom out so far because of the 4 players and size of the arenas...not really Cappys fault, I guess there is no way around that. Otherwise it was up there with SSBM as the best 4 player fighter game (SSBM beats it though IMO).

If 3 came out, I wouldn't change a thing except make it 720p or 1080i so when the camera moves back it's easier to see whats going on. The amount of weapons that game had was insane.

One of my favorite boards in 2:
screen01.jpg

If a Powerstone 3 was made, I'd want a hell of a lot more levels than were in 2. They better support 1-on-1 a little more thoroughly too. And Faclon\Fokker better lose that goddamned double jump; that jump plus his special make him so cheap...

Although he feared my Galuda from 1. You all do!

aku:jiki

ourumov said:
When Onimusha Blade Warriors was released I thought it will be like PowerStone 3 in terms of gameplay
Kind of, but not really. Definitely don't buy it expecting to get PS3. It still plays a little similarly, though.

DCX

DCX
I think Capcom needs to release a new Power Stone, maybe do it like Sega did with Crazy Taxi 3. Include 1 and 2, no enhancements other than 480P for both PS2 and XBOX, and 5.1 for XBOX, online play for all three, and make three just the best effort of 1 and 2.
Just an idea.

DCX

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The Gamecube is the only current console that makes sense for a Powerstone compilation or a Powerstone 3. The PS2 doesn't have any native 4 player support and even with online it would probably bomb on Xbox (though I suppose a port wouldn't kill them). They could also make it a 2 player game but that would be a step backwards, imo. I thought part 2 was a better multiplayer game than part 1 was a one-on-one fighter.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They asked us if we liked "brawler" type fighting games at the Capcom focus group (e.g. Powerstone), but the people there didn't show interest

u_neek

Powerstone would make a perfect online game... and Capcom's usually milking it's franchises to hell... so why not this one??

PowerStone on Xbox Live would be so awesome. I don't care if it comes out on the PS2 as well. Great. As long as the game doesn't try to hold back technically to make porting easy. I hope it's a launch game on Xbox Next. Would be perfect. I'd even take a 1&2 remake for the 3rd one like Team Ninja is doing for DoA Ultimate.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
JC10001 said:
The Gamecube is the only current console that makes sense for a Powerstone compilation or a Powerstone 3. The PS2 doesn't have any native 4 player support and even with online it would probably bomb on Xbox (though I suppose a port wouldn't kill them).
That really wouldn't make much sense since Onimusha Blade Warriors supported 4 players on the PS2.

BeOnEdge

Banned
also theres that thing about the GC bombing everywhere outside of japan at this point. I almost cried for nintendo fans when sears pulled their GC section from just about all of their stores.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Defensor said:
That really wouldn't make much sense since Onimusha Blade Warriors supported 4 players on the PS2.

But you need the multitap, yes? That's why I said native support (ie out of the box). How many people do you know have multitaps? I don't know any.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Gattsu25 said:
and I don't personally know any people that play MMORPGs

they must not exist

It's not even the same thing. Please.

Heck, forget knowing people personally, I've never even heard anyone on this board mention that they have a multitap.

BeOnEdge said:
also theres that thing about the GC bombing everywhere outside of japan at this point. I almost cried for nintendo fans when sears pulled their GC section from just about all of their stores.

Shut up. Who the fuck goes to Sears for video games? The few Sears that I've been in, they scaled back their video game section or threw away with it completely...and this was back in the days of N64/PSX.

Gattsu25

Banned
JC10001 said:
It's not even the same thing. Please.

Heck, forget knowing people personally, I've never even heard anyone on this board mention that they have a multitap.

because you've never asked? I have a multi-tap even!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
kitchenmotors said:
Shut up. Who the fuck goes to Sears for video games? The few Sears that I've been in, they scaled back their video game section or threw away with it completely...and this was back in the days of N64/PSX.

Oh don't mind BOE, he's just trolling Nintendo as usual.

Hero

I agree with JC.

In terms of logic, GCN is the only console I could see Power Stone 3 being viable on.

Aside from the fact that the best selling game on the platform (SSB:M for the uninformed) is also a multiplayer party fighter/brawler/etc, other games like Godzilla:DAMM and that Konami/Takara/Hudson game have all done relatively well. The user base responds to these types of games.

The PS2 doesn't have 4P support out of the box so I doubt it would be released there, considering that Onimusha Blade Warriors didn't do too well.

And the Xbox would only have the US/European market to sell to and I doubt Capcom would want to not make money on it in the JPN region.

Having said that, I've been wanting and waiting for a Power Stone 3 since the DC died. Come on, Capcom!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
JC10001 said:
But you need the multitap, yes? That's why I said native support (ie out of the box). How many people do you know have multitaps? I don't know any.
Personally, I know 5 people that own a PS2 multitap. It really doesn't matter if the PS2 doesn't have native support out of the box since there are Game Companies that support the multitap including these titles:

-Tekken Tag Tournament
-Gauntlet Dark Legacy
-Champions of Norrath
-Frequency
-Amplitude
-Def Jam Vendetta
-Smackdown
-Agent Under Fire
-Nightfire
-Everything or Nothing
-Time Splitters
-Time Splitters 2
-Red Faction 2
-My Street
-Street Fighter EX 3
-MotoGp 2
-MotoGP 3

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if the do a new powerstone, they should scale it back down to 2 players - the first one was far better. actually i think it's one of the best multiplayer games ever made.

nitewulf

jarrod said:
PowerStone > SSBM > PowerStone 2

does. not. compute. ;)

i agree powerstone is better than powerstone 2. the second one is more chaotic and fun, but first one is definitely more strategic. having said that, i miss powerstone, they really should make powerstone 3...both games were such great fun gems.

cvxfreak

SSBM owns all, no question. ;)

I need to check out my Powerstone 1 DC import sometime because I played it once and never again.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
jarrod said:
Didn't you people play Gotcha Force? It's not exactly PowerStone 3 but it was made by the same team...

That explains my abiding love for that game, thanks for the tip.

And I'll take Powerstone 2 over SSBM easily.

I have a multitap... The only thing I have ever used it for was DOA2 (which I don't play anymore since DOA3 is out)... I'd love a Powerstone 3.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Capcom revealed that PowerStone 3 was part of the plan back when they started the franchise. It's too bad the sales didn't carry it through then.

DCX:
Include 1 and 2, no enhancements other than 480P for both PS2 and XBOX,
That wouldn't be an enhancement since the Dreamcast games were already 480p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
Capcom revealed that PowerStone 3 was part of the plan back when they started the franchise. It's too bad the sales didn't carry it through then.

DCX:

That wouldn't be an enhancement since the Dreamcast games were already 480p.

However, accessing the 480p on anything other than a computer monitor isn't an easy (or cheap) task...

The games have aged quite poorly, though (especially Powerstone 2). The textures on Power Stone 2 are extremely low-resolution and the models are all dead simple. The original game fares a bit better, but is still lacking in detail.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
However, accessing the 480p on anything other than a computer monitor isn't an easy (or cheap) task...
Using the word "however" there makes no sense. The type of cable the DC used has no relevance as an argument to the fact that proscan was already provided in the PowerStones and wouldn't need reworking to account just for that. The discussion was about being willing to accept a minimum of enhancements just to get the game remade. That's likely the only way the games would come over anyway, like the collection of DC titles that were planned to be ported to the Xbox (of which Rent-A-Hero was one) and had almost no upgrading.

Besides, some TVs accept VGA too.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
dark10x said:

Many HDTVs have vga inputs, and those that don't, there's many other easy options, such as dvi-vga dongles or vga to component adapters.

JC10001,

Believe it or not, there exist in this world people who own not one, but two multi-taps for their ps2.

I'd say the amount ps2 owners with multi-tap and four controllers is probably comparable to the amount of gamecube and xbox owners who have four themselves.

dark10x

Lazy8s said:
dark10x:

Using the word "however" there makes no sense. The type of cable the DC used has no relevance as an argument to the fact that proscan was already provided in the PowerStones and wouldn't need reworking to account just for that. The discussion was about being willing to accept a minimum of enhancements just to get the game remade. That's likely the only way the games would come over anyway, like the collection of DC titles that were planned to be ported to the Xbox (of which Rent-A-Hero was one) and had almost no upgrading.

Besides, some TVs accept VGA too.

"However" was employed with the intention of continuing your post (that is, my post was not designed to stand alone)...

I was not following the argument, forgive me. I was simply noting that, although 480p is supported on Dreamcast, it is worthless to most users. The fact of the matter is, when using an average HDTV display, most people are unable to take advantage of Dreamcasts progressive scan output. As a result, that would act as an added feature had the games been re-released on other consoles. They wouldn't actually be adding a feature in this case, they would simply allow more people to utilize that already existing feature.

Many HDTVs have vga inputs, and those that don't, there's many other easy options, such as dvi-vga dongles or vga to component adapters.

Alrighty then, show me. I would LOVE to be able to display my DC in 480p. Could you find me a cheap method of pulling this off?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Are VGA inputs on HDTVs rare? Two of the three I've seen in person had them.

dark10x

levious said:
Are VGA inputs on HDTVs rare? Two of the three I've seen in person had them.

I've seen more DVI inputs than actual VGA inputs. Heck, I've seen VGA inputs on SD TVs more often than HD sets...

Top Bottom