• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hate Crimes Against Muslims in Canada up 60%, StatsCan Reports

CazTGG

The number of police-reported hate crimes against Muslims jumped by 60 per cent in 2015 compared to the previous year, according to Statistics Canada.

New data released Tuesday show there were 159 anti-Muslim incidents reported to police that year, up from 99 the year before.

National Council of Canadian Muslims vice-chairman Khalid Elgazzar called 2015 a "difficult year" for Muslim Canadians, as two terrorist attacks in France inflamed anti-Muslim sentiment and former prime minister Stephen Harper made a woman's right to wear a veil at citizenship ceremonies a "central issue" of the election campaign.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hate-crimes-muslims-statscan-1.4158042

Fight against the normalization of Islamophobia in Canada if old.

The data is from 2015 which was also when Harper tried to introduce the "barbarism hotline" and made the niqab a wedge issue during the last election riling up the more fringe supporters on the right.

So y'know: Fuck Harper.

Syriel

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hate-crimes-muslims-statscan-1.4158042

Fight against the normalization of Islamophobia in Canada if old.

US to Canada: "Hold my beer."

2015 was not a good year for North America and tolerance.

Overall, the FBI reported 257 incidents of anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2015, a 67% increase from the previous year. These incidents included 301 individual crimes, 71% of which were crimes against people, as opposed to property. (Incidents can encompass more than one crime.) By contrast, crimes perpetrated against other religious groups more often involved property offenses, such as vandalism or theft. For example, 64% of anti-Jewish and 51% of anti-Catholic offenses in 2015 involved vandalism, compared with just 23% of anti-Muslim offenses.

Source:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-assaults-reach-911-era-levels-fbi-data-show/

Mailbox

The data is from 2015 which was also when Harper tried to introduce the "barbarism hotline" and made the niqab a wedge issue during the last election riling up the more fringe supporters on the right.

Yeah, i think a lot of people are gonna forget about this part of the issue too.
I would definitely like to see numbers over 2016 and 2017 when they become available, since it seems likely that the numbers from 2015 have gone down since the new government took form.

CazTGG

There was also a surge in stories like this that occurred following the election, among other actions like the "muh freeze peach" response to M-103 from both MPs (mostly Conservative Party of Canada) and citizens alike.

Either way, yeah Harper can go screw a pot of live crawfish.

RinsFury

I would hope the numbers have gone down under Trudeau, but I see a worrying amount of articles about right wing nazi groups, like the Soldiers of Odin, up north. Disturbing to see Trumps hatred taking root in another country.

I would hope the numbers have gone under Trudeau, but I see a worrying amount of articles about right wing nazi groups, like the Soldiers of Odin, up north. Disturbing to see Trumps hatred taking root in another country.
I've been hearing a lot more news of islamophobia taking hold in Mississauga, my old home town, as of late. Which is weird because there's always been a fairly significant Muslim population in the city for like ever.

99Luffy

Banned

Didnt the NDP agree with Harper on that?

farisr

I've been hearing a lot more news of islamophobia taking hold in Mississauga, my old home town, as of late. Which is weird because there's always been a fairly significant Muslim population in the city for like ever.
Yeah, my brothers kids go to school there and the school board had to send a letter home to everyone letting them know about a video that had been making the rounds that asks people to report to some number if they see a muslim praying. (this is an elementary school btw not even a high school)

I live in Sauga and this has been going on for years. They like to call it an "infestation" and say stupid stuff like "you can't just let everyone move in to the same place, it's disrespectful!!!" then go on a circle jerk about how they love the perogies in the polish area of the city. The hypocrisy is unbelievable and the worst part is I hear these dumb asses talk about how great and multicultural the country is.

pestul

There's a lot of ignorance in Canada. If I asked at work tomorrow, I'd bet I could find a few people that think the entire Middle East should be nuked to oblivion. I've heard a few say such comments in the past.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just to note, the Parliament Hill shootings were at the end of 2014 as well, which probably contributed to this (and the election rhetoric).

Top Bottom