• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have the Olympic Games lost all importance?

kunonabi

I lost interest after they screwed that Russian female gymnast out of her medal, pro-athletes started playing in more events and they gifted Michael Phelps a medal for an event he didn't compete in.

kunonabi

Wasn't he in the qualifier.....if you participate there, you get a medal too.
It just seemed silly to me that he made this big deal about giving up his spot to a teammate so that they could have a shot at a medal and he still got one for himself anyway.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It just seemed silly to me that he made this big deal about giving up his spot to a teammate so that they could have a shot at a medal and he still got one for himself anyway.
He wasn't gifted one, he helped in the qualifier and it is the same rules for everyone the same team that qualifies does not have to race in the final. So other teams can sub out as well. He earned the medal by qualifying then the team winning. I am not a Phelps knight, but I don't really think people are gifted medals except for event that our judged and have bias.

YCoCg

It feels like a slump due to it being a post pandemic one, the shift year for Tokyo completely killed the hype so it feels like awkward footing.

Some of you here just want to be miserable though, saying the 2010s were nothing, bitch London 2012 was the last time England truly shines on the world stage and Rio 2016 was crazy!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably has to do with so much more exciting things to watch or do, and people just skimming their phones or sites to see who won medals and thats good enough.

But no doubt it sure seemed people watched Olympics a lot more way back. I remember watching with fam all the time. Now when it's on TV, I dont think too many fams are glued to the action. Who knows. Maybe I'm wrong and viewership is still just as good as decades ago.

E-Cat

It's like having Snoop Dogg carry the torch, the focus is less on the athletics and more on the "celebrity".

Bring back naked olympics, viewership problem SOLVED!!!!

ogLJEjv.jpeg
You know that only men were allowed to attend the naked olympics? But whatever floats your boat…

mitch1971

Gold Member
How... does that have anything to do with the event and them "not taking themselves seriously"?...

If a singular Drag Queen is enough to make you not want to watch the Olympics, the word that I know you would use for them ("f word"), actually applies to you.

You are an insecure "f word".
If a singular post gets you going straight to calling someone a f word...

Trogdor1123

I love the Olympics. Just love them. I rarely watch tv but during the olympics my tv is on all day watching sports I rarely ever see. I just love it.

I will stay up till crazy late at night to watch the swimming as I enjoy that so much. I used to think I was “good” at swimming (I was competitive into college) but it’s a whole other level (several in fact) these folks.

We should celebrate sport more, not less. They should manage the stupid costs though.

We have hosted 3 olympics here in Canada and 2 were a massive success. Making money and doing great things… then there was Montreal that took like 40 years to pay off.

If done right, they are amazing. However, the vanity issues often creep in.

Paltheos

Only insofar as the mess it makes. I'm not a fan of the Olympics upending the societal ecosystem to run their games, building tons of facilities just for the Olympics. It's the same problem I have with the World Cup. Pick one location and let that be it (or two in the case of the seasonal Olympics).

Only insofar as the mess it makes. I'm not a fan of the Olympics upending t he societal ecosystem to run their games, building tons of facilities just for the Olympics. It's the same problem I have with the World Cup. Pick one location and let that be it (or two in the case of the seasonal Olympics).
This is a good proposition. Build a mini country that facilitates every need of the Olympics.

I'm not a businessman but the logical thing to do in the long term is a permanent location where these sports can take place every single decennial. Money and politics are involved so my ethereal dream scenario for the Olympics would not fly with these corrupt assholes.

Last edited:

sono

No I don’t think so; there is a cultural as well as sporting aspect to the games

Of the sports I enjoy the running races , relays and of course the 100m

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This opening ceremony won't do anything good for the popularity of the games. Gaga singing next to a random bridge, awkward boats - it's awful lmao

Honestly the parade of the athletes is typically insanely boring. Usually you tune in for the ceremony and tune out when the parade starts but now they're doing the parade and the ceremony at the same time. Lot of downtime.

It's kinda weird how non-traditional this show is.

thefool

Yes, people used to be incredibly proud of their countrymen representing their identity and culture, athletes believed representing their country was the highest honor they could achieve.

What do you think happened?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yes, people used to be incredibly proud of their countrymen representing their identity and culture, athletes believed representing their country was the highest honor they could achieve.

What do you think happened?
A multi-decade long assault on "patriotism, nationality, and pride in culture" finally coming home to roost? Athletes that kneel instead of celebrate their countries anthem? Folks getting paid to represent a country but were never born or raised there? Athletes that act like instagram tiktocers instead of representing ideals?

Lots of reasons why enthusiasm in the Olympics fades.

SoloCamo

Athletes absolutely don’t fucking care.

I get why you are upset (I mean your country is at fault on this one, sorry) but do you really think they have no opinions on this? It's not like only the (quite frankly insane) West is competing here....

Tams

I was obsessed with the Athens 2004 Olympics. I must have watched a good 80% of the coverage available. Even printed off articles about my favourites.

I watched Beijing 2008 l's opening and closing ceremonies.

I watched some of the London 2012 ones, mostly because it was a home games and 'we' were doing well. I went to a torch relay event (underwhelming nonsense).

Then I stopped caring. I caught a glimpse of one table tennis match while waiting for a ferry in 2021.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I only know Simone Biles in gymnastics and some of the NBA and WNBA players at the Olympics. Oh, and Sha'Carri Richardson in track and field. That's it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A multi-decade long assault on "patriotism, nationality, and pride in culture" finally coming home to roost? Athletes that kneel instead of celebrate their countries anthem? Folks getting paid to represent a country but were never born or raised there? Athletes that act like instagram tiktocers instead of representing ideals?

Lots of reasons why enthusiasm in the Olympics fades.

From what I can tell of the athletes I know of and the fervor of fans... Lots of the athletes here in the US are so proud of representing the USA. Fans are excited. You'll have SOME protesting in small ways or doing activism in small ways that don't interfere with their performances... But protesting is as American as it comes!

Simone Biles is the most decorated Olympian EVER and she's incredibly proud to represent the US.

I think you're projecting a little. It's not as prevalent as you suggest.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I love them. It's the whole world coming together, I think that's a beautiful thing.

People clutching their pearls over drag queens, should really move on. It's campy and fun.

T8SC

I always watch the Olympics, granted there's a lot of sports I'm not fussed about and some I don't think should be there in the first place (Rugby sevens for example). But I enjoy watching the various swimming events, gymnastics, velodrome and of course the track & field athletics.

I think it is because now you can watch recordings and stuff any time you want. And you are able to get scores and other information without watching the event or waiting for the next day newspapers.

RaduN

I just don't care about it at all. Seeing how the Olympic is being used for some sort of political messaging, I'm glad to have stop caring about it.
I am watching the events now and they are just as ever. Nothing different whatsoever.

All arenas are packed and the athletes are 100% in the game. Fantastic so far.

T8SC

I just don't care about it at all. Seeing how the Olympic is being used for some sort of political messaging, I'm glad to have stop caring about it.

I've watched the diving, other swimming events and the cycling time trials today. Didn't notice anything political but then I'm not trying to look for agenda either. Just enjoy the sports on show and respect the athletes who've trained for this event, that is what the Olympics is about.

Durien

Gold Member
I think the biggest problem for me with the olympics was shifting from amateurs to professionals..go back to using amateurs.

That's beside the massive waste of money. Countries have no money to fix societal issues but billions to spend on the olympics. Let's complain but climate change while flying people all over the world for a vanity project.

Take the money we waste and put it toward funding societal projects. Want to build an olympic village, sure, when your done it becomes rental property to pay back the billions spent. Don't build stadiums, use existing resources.

Durien

Gold Member
I think the biggest problem for me with the olympics was shifting from amateurs to professionals..go back to using amateurs.

That's beside the massive waste of money. Countries have no money to fix societal issues but billions to spend on the olympics. Let's complain but climate change while flying people all over the world for a vanity project.

Take the money we waste and put it toward funding societal projects. Want to build an olympic village, sure, when your done it becomes rental property to pay back the billions spent. Don't build stadiums, use existing resources.
BTW, I am not a liberal, I am against waste...

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
I might check out some events but I really don't care like i used to. I 100% support the athletes from all the countries; it's really a great concept to have the world compete against each other.

But for the same reason I don't like soccer or a lot of college athletics i don't like the Olympics. Shit is corrupt. So much money that goes to assholes for bribes. The environmental and fiscal impact of all these stadiums is bullshit too.

I'm glad the Olympians fuck so much though. That's dope

Top Bottom