• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's Game of Thrones prequel: Aegon's Conquest vs Robert's Rebellion?

RiZ III

Whatever it ends up being, it won't be as good as GoT. The main reason GoT is good is because the source material is good and very well written. I could already notice the much duller dialogue in the previous season.

I just finished reading The Dance of the Dragons aka The Princess and the Queen aka The Blacks and the Greens. It could theoretically make for the foundations of a show, but... there are like fifteen dragons in it. There would be dragon battles every episode. It would be ridiculously expensive.

Rhaegar Targaryen seems to be like the main character of this whole show, and everything is revolving around his past deeds, yet he is never shown.

I think it would be kind of stupid to not show this period of time on that world with a lot more detail.

ryseing

Dance of the Dragons or GTFO. Doing Robert's Rebellion would just lead to stupid fanservice winks and nods like every other prequel.

Gurrry

By the time GM finishes Song of Ice and Fire, we will all be dead anyway.

Seriously though, HBO should just do them. People want more GoT. Its a license to print money. Making ANY prequel is a great idea.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Daenerys' ancestors arrive in Westeros with 3 fully grown dragons. They then defeat everyone (relatively easily) and unite the seven previously separate kingdoms into one whole one.

I'd prefer a Blackfyre rebellion show.
Six, they united six kingdoms.

#UnbentUnbowedUnbroken

Barzul

Well if GRRM is on board. Aegon's conquest. We know a lot less about it that Robert's rebellion and so we get an opportunity to see a more unique story. Also Dragons lol.

Hari Seldon

The story of The Wall is far more interesting. Plus it is cheaper. You are just putting actors in costumes rather than CGI dragons.

AndersK

The Second novella in thr Dunk and Egg collection would be nice to see on TV. Probably my favorite George Martin book since A Storm if Swords. Well, obviously the whole collection is ripe for adaptation, I just really like the small scale and the peasant/broke-ass little league Lord perspective.

Thetinman

I want them to tell the story's of all the Brandon Stark how throughout time he manipulated big events but in this new show the Brandon from GOT Ice and Fire make some small and some big changes to the known timeline.

Speevy

Banned
I want to see something that involves Maester Aemon wielding a sword and cutting down a bunch of fools.

The North also gave in begrudgingly instead of getting scorched like everyone else though not sure if that counts as a defeat.

The North got backstabbed in every form. They didn't lose via lack of battle prowess, strategy, etc... their leader was
betrayed and beheaded
and their new king and hope for the North
was filleted and minced at the RW.

I completely agree with Martin. Roberts Rebellion would be like the Star Wars Prequel. Just an unnecessary tale with an endinig that you know. I want them to go back to the First Men and the Children of the Forest and that shit. Like how the Wall came about.

There's nothing wrong with knowing the ending of a story before it is told.

Fercho

I would love to see Robert's Rebellion, it can be a series in the same vein than the current show and should not have any issues with the budget.

I see Aegon's conquest as a big budget movie. Yeah that will rock.

Setting it around the time of Aegon's Conquest, the Dance of the Dragons or even the Blackfyre Rebellion would be way more interesting than Robert's Rebellion and wouldn't require potentially jarring recasts of Game of Thrones.

I'd hate to see what HBO would to do Dunk and Egg.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They go into a lot of detail about Roberts Rebellion in the books, and there's been a bit in the show as well, so I'd be up Aegon's Conquest more.

I'd love to see GoT go high(er) fantasy.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Aegon's Conquest could work as a mini-series so they could go nuts with the dragon CGI, while I would love Robert's Rebellion as a full series with multiple seasons. Too bad they've already announced that Robert's Rebellion won't happen.

Speevy

Banned
Setting it around the time of Aegon's Conquest, the Dance of the Dragons or even the Blackfyre Rebellion would be way more interesting than Robert's Rebellion and wouldn't require potentially jarring recasts of Game of Thrones.

I'd hate to see what HBO would to do Dunk and Egg.

Fourth Mountain is sad.

Vinter

Would love to see Dunk and Egg. Aegons Conquest would be cool, but I think it would be very expensive. The same with both Dance of Dragons and The Blackfyre Rebellion. They are all stories I would like to see adapted to TV though.

Kaiken

Banned
Isn't there a story about a great flood and a kingdom hidden in swamp lands? I'd like to hear more of that but of course Aegon's Conquest trumps all.

Pluto

The North also gave in begrudgingly instead of getting scorched like everyone else though not sure if that counts as a defeat.
It absolutely counts. The last Stark King saw the dragons and surrendered because he knew the north as an independent kingdom was done.
Dorne on the other hand successfully resisted and was never conquered.

pablito

More DRAGONZ sounds incredibly boring at the moment. We're about to get that with Dany. Do Aegon if they do 3 series.

RR has a bunch of prime talent we never got to see. That first, imo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The North got backstabbed in every form. They didn't lose via lack of battle prowess, strategy, etc... their leader was
betrayed and beheaded
and their new king and hope for the North
was filleted and minced at the RW.

I meant during Aegon's conquest

96d226be4e8fd65d11533502e723f343.jpg

What does that idiot really think he's going to do with that little pokey stick that that dragon cannot just disintegrate?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd love to see Robert's Rebellion, even though we know who survived and who didn't already.

The only thing that would suck is all the jarring recasts that would be necessary to get younger versions of characters already in GoT. I doubt they'll bother looking for actors that look very similar to every "current"(dead or alive) ones.

tirminyl

I'm on the Dunk & Egg train. After the longest time, I've finally started reading these and I'm just loving it. Egg has quickly grown on me.

Aegon for sure, at least there is a lot of mystery there. Robert's Rebellion is boring and we know almost everything that occurs, just not the details.

Plus, you know, no dragons.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't really need a lore dive. Fantasy isn't any cooler when you know how it works. Tell an interesting and human story with earned character moments and a depth of understanding. The shock and awe of these later seasons is plenty of fun, but it's not a good foundation for a show like the early seasons.

So... I dunno what would provide any of that. I haven't heard a good pitch for it one way or another. I dunno if they can Better Caul Saul either story.

Rhaegar Targaryen seems to be like the main character of this whole show, and everything is revolving around his past deeds, yet he is never shown.

I think it would be kind of stupid to not show this period of time on that world with a lot more detail.

This is how bad things get made.

Vic_Viper

Pretty sure they will do both. Dont think it needs to be 2 seprate shows though. I mean how much content could you really get from Robert's Rebellion. I think if they did it as one show and just switch back and forth like flashbacks in Arrow. Aegon's story alone will cost a ton in CGI alone lol.

Roberts rebellion. But just a two hour one off straight to HBO film and then let the series die. It had a good run.

I don't think I'd want Robert's Rebellion to be that condensed.

We're talking about the tourney at harrenhall. Just the fallout from that needs room to breathe and characters fleshed out.

For example the Robert from GOT is not the same Robert back then. His motivations are different. So the writers can't sit on their ass and say: "well, we've already established so and so in the old series."

Oh how I'd love to see the battle on the Trident.

I imagine Aegon's Conquest would be disqualified due to budgetary reasons alone. Aegon and his sisters didn't have a big army: they were basically all about the 'fire' portion of 'fire and blood'.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Rhoynar and their struggle against the Valyrian Freehold would be incredible. The Rhoynar had water magicians guys. Dragons against fucking water benders...HOLY SHIT! Story starts with the Rhoynar allowing Valerian settlers into their lands. Settlers who eventually decide that they'd rather take those lands for themselves. The Rhoynar fight back, and eventually one of their kings puts together the largest army ever assembled, and goes ham on these Valerian dick heads. With their badass water bending skills to protect them somewhat from dragon fire, the Rhoynarian King and his forces defeat a Valarian Freehold Army that consisted of dozens of dragons.

Old Valyria isn't all to happy with these developments. So Mother Valyria marshals a force that included hundreds of dragons, and decide that simply subduing the Rhoynar wasn't enough; the complete and utter annihilation of their civilisation was the only appropriate response. The brave king is defeated in a battle, and is held in chains and made to witness as mighty Valyria lay waste every single Rhoynar city they capture. Valyria has some how learned a way to nullify the great water magic that had aided their enemy for so long.

In desperation, a young Rhoynar Queen named Nymeria rallies what's left of her people, and begins the process of organising the largest migration out of Essos ever attempted. She manages to land 10,000 Rhonyr ships onto the shores of Dorne in Westeros. She had the ships burned to symbolise that there home was now in this new land they've arrived on. Dorne is divided into many kingdoms at this point, but it's the Martells that the Queen decides to ally with. Swelled with an army of battle experienced Rhoynar and a marriage pact to their queen, the Martells bring all of Dorne beneath their banner (a banner that now has the sun emblem of the Rhaynor). The new Dornish Queen however, would forever change the socio-political environment in her new lands, by doing away with the laws of the Andals, and replacing them with the customs of her people. From this point forward, the eldest child regardless of sex, will inherit their parent's titles.

Give me this HBO. I don't care about Robert's Rebellion, or the Dance of Dragons, or Aegon's Landing. Give me Dragons versus water magic.

Top Bottom