• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTVTest: LG C4 OLED LEAKED! Is It The Bomb?

Soodanim

Quick summary: LG 2024 OLED models C4 and G4 will support 144Hz instead of maxing out at 120Hz, speculated that C4 won't have MLA-OLED and only the top model G4 will.
Makes sense really. There wasn't too much to make people get the G series over the C series until MLA, now you really see the difference.

Renoir

What is the difference between the G line and the C line? one is budget? One is more tech? I got a C1 and love it.. how much more tv tech can i get with these new ones?

Go_Ly_Dow

Still rocking my C9, has it all 120hz, HDMI 2.1, VRR. Stunning picture, colours and screen is bright enough as I only game in the evening.

I won't be upgrading until PS6 launches.

violence

I want to upgrade for small reasons. My C9 is mostly fine but I wish the PC mode was better (banding). Turning on VRR on consoles makes the image a little more washed out.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't know. Jumping from 60Hz to 120Hz was super worth it. I'm the kind of person that loves to have the newest tech but in this case I don't feel like I need to upgrade. These TVs are so good already.

TV are getting to the same point as phones in that they are so good at what they do that new iterations will be unexciting until there's some new tech breakthrough (like affordable microled).

Phone upgrades used to be like "3X faster which will make the experience notoriously smoother, and a 2X better camera and some other cool new features"
Now it's like "15% faster on paper but you probably won't notice during regular use because the one you have right now is really smooth already, also the camera is a bit better in a way that you'll probably online notice on some side by side comparisons during specific lighting conditions"

Last edited:

Katajx

TV are getting to the same point as phones in that they are so good at what they do that new iterations will be unexciting until there's some new tech breakthrough (like affordable microled).

Phone upgrades used to be like "3X faster which will make the experience notoriously smoother, and a 2X better camera and some other cool new features"
Now it's like "15% faster on paper but you probably won't notice during regular use because the one you have right now is really smooth already, also the camera is a bit better in a way that you'll probably online notice on some side by side comparisons during specific lighting conditions"
This is where I’m at. I had a C2 earlier this year, and returned it right before the C3 expecting more of an upgrade than it is.

All these months later, the price has dropped so much that it’s hard to decide on a size or model.

It’s been coming down to this one is newer, and this is $50-$100 cheaper. The C4 just says to me that it doesn’t matter which one I pick unless I want things from the G series.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bought a C3 Saturday. FML
You'll be fine, especially since you (hopefully) got a fantastic "Black Friday" price on it. Like Fbh Fbh said, the jump from C3 to C4 (basically just 120Hz refresh to 144Hz refresh) is going to be pretty boring, despite what Youtube clickbait says.

And if you waited until next year to buy the C4... guess what? The C5 is coming around the corner fast!

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Cameras are still getting better, screens are getting brighter and the Chinese are putting out foldables as thin and light as slab phones with nearly no crease. What are you talking about?

JohnnyPhats

You'll be fine, especially since you (hopefully) got a fantastic "Black Friday" price on it. Like Fbh Fbh said, the jump from C3 to C4 (basically just 120Hz refresh to 144Hz refresh) is going to be pretty boring, despite what Youtube clickbait says.

And if you waited until next year to buy the C4... guess what? The C5 is coming around the corner fast!
$2500. I’m happy with it. Buddy is bring his calibration equipment this weekend

Cyberpunkd

what is mla oled?
Bulletpoint to make you spend more money. To all that will attack me in a moment saying it “totally changes how we see things on tv”:

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Last edited:

Salty Hippo

What about Black Frame Insertion? I remember John from DF being very concerned about this feature getting more and more axed with each new model.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
What is the difference between the G line and the C line? one is budget? One is more tech? I got a C1 and love it.. how much more tv tech can i get with these new ones?

Basically yes. The G series is brighter (so better HDR) and might have some minor other feature upgrades. Starting with G2/C2 and especially G3/C3, the brightness difference has increased. Starting with G3, the G series have MLA (Multi Lens Array), which allows their brightness to be more than 50% more than C series. C3 has about 850nits peak brightness while G3 touching about 1500 nits.

what is mla oled?

MLA (Multi Lens Array), which allows their brightness to be more than 50% more than C series. C3 series has about 900nits peak brightness while G3 touching about 1500 nits.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Cameras are still getting better, screens are getting brighter and the Chinese are putting out foldables as thin and light as slab phones with nearly no crease. What are you talking about?

Marginally better. We’re not seeing crazy jumps like from iPhone 3 to iPhone 4. I’m still on iPhone 13 and have 0 desire to upgrade.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Phones are also a good example. Happens to every piece of technology as it matures. In case of iPhone, if you got iPhone X back in 2017 (?), there was and still is very little reason to upgrade. Well maybe not anymore because it dropped support for iOS 17 but security updates are still there. 6-7 years is still crazy.

Reactions: Fbh

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't know. Jumping from 60Hz to 120Hz was super worth it. I'm the kind of person that loves to have the newest tech but in this case I don't feel like I need to upgrade. These TVs are so good already.
I am. It sure if I should wait for my C9 to get a new C9 model, we are already at C4 hehe.

C9 was truly a great model for its time: HDMI 2.1, DV/HDR+ HDR, VRR, 120 Hz, 4K@120 Hz HDR with RGB, etc…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
144hz is barely different from 120hz, what they should have aimed for is 240hz that's the next step.
Yeah, 240 Hz would very very very neatly solve all issues with native 24 Hz support and allow the panel to support natively all kinds of framerates.

The truly next step is to extend the VRR windows and fix the brightness and constrict fluctuations it can cause in panels, especially OLED ones, and (last but not least) work with GPU and console manufacturers to allow far more framerate limiter options like Steam Deck does: if a game supports unstable 60 FPS but it never falls below 50 FPS there should be an easy option to change the refresh rate to 50 Hz and put a frame limiter.

As an internal refresh rate it is. You can still use it to improve display of framerates like 24p where there would be a perfect integer multiplier.
I'm confused, 120 / 24 = 5 which is a perfect integer multiplier

This is why most 60 hz TV's have internally used 120 hz refresh when displaying 24p content for a number of years now

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lg must do something spectacular to convince me to buy another of their tv...

I'm gonna wait until microled or go with sony or panasonic for the next one.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, 240 Hz would very very very neatly solve all issues with native 24 Hz support and allow the panel to support natively all kinds of framerates.

The truly next step is to extend the VRR windows and fix the brightness and constrict fluctuations it can cause in panels, especially OLED ones, and (last but not least) work with GPU and console manufacturers to allow far more framerate limiter options like Steam Deck does: if a game supports unstable 60 FPS but it never falls below 50 FPS there should be an easy option to change the refresh rate to 50 Hz and put a frame limiter.
So they haven't solved shit since the C1?

The c3 still shat the bed when vrr is on?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So they haven't solved shit since the C1?

The c3 still shat the bed when vrr is on?
Last I checked they allow you to tweak the grey level settings to counteract it but this would require a much bigger panel rework.

Then again, something like LFC should fix it. As your real refresh rate will actually be closer to the 120 Hz the panels are designed around and the effect would be less noticeable.

Haint

Skipping MLA on the C may prove a costly mistake, Samsung is undercutting them hard as fuck if you follow deals. The 77 S90C has been a staggering $1500 cheaper than the 77 G3's all time low and they're basically a wash in performance. You'd have to be retarded to pay nearly double the price for an LG.

Last edited:

Renoir

Basically yes. The G series is brighter (so better HDR) and might have some minor other feature upgrades. Starting with G2/C2 and especially G3/C3, the brightness difference has increased. Starting with G3, the G series have MLA (Multi Lens Array), which allows their brightness to be more than 50% more than C series. C3 has about 850nits peak brightness while G3 touching about 1500 nits.

MLA (Multi Lens Array), which allows their brightness to be more than 50% more than C series. C3 series has about 900nits peak brightness while G3 touching about 1500 nits.
Doesnt more brightness increase risk for burn in?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Doesnt more brightness increase risk for burn in?

Technically, yes. But the recent OLEDs (starting from C9 in 2018 and improved since) are very very resistant to burn-in. There is extremely miniscule chance of burn-in. I've used both my OLEDs (C9 and G2) as computer monitors for years, probably one of the worst use cases as far as burn-in is concerned, and had no issues at all. There are studies from rtings where they ran same news channel (with bright logo 24x7 at the same place) and still no burn-in after a year. So unless you basically play same news channel 24x7 or play a game with static logo 24x7 for years on end, its a non-issue. Dont worry about it.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Technically, yes. But the recent OLEDs (starting from C9 in 2018 and improved since) are very very resistant to burn-in. There is extremely miniscule chance of burn-in. I've used both my OLEDs (C9 and G2) as computer monitors for years, probably one of the worst use cases as far as burn-in is concerned, and had no issues at all. There are studies from rtings where they ran same news channel (with bright logo 24x7 at the same place) and still no burn-in after a year. So unless you basically play same news channel 24x7 or play a game with static logo 24x7 for years on end, its a non-issue. Dont worry about it.
I use a CX as my main pc monitor and once in almost three years I noticed some minor image retention that went away after running the pixel refresh application. I don’t know if that was just a weird glitch or what but yeah burn in under normal usage shouldn’t be cause for concern.

MikeM

Gold Member
Meh. Keeping my C1 until it dies. Its a fantastic panel for everything including PC gaming

Top Bottom