• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help a Counterstrike noob

I plan on getting the Steam version tomorrow and haven't really played the original... I'm checking faqs and such, but...

Is there any good advice myself (and other first-timers) should heed in order to not embarass themselves or piss off their teammates?

Stryder

Uhh, I think the best way to get used to it is just to play it, there really isn't anything that you shouldn't be doing but.. before you jump into a server it might be worth getting acquainted with your key mappings as well as the commands to buy weapons/items and how to talk/chat to your teammates etc. etc. It can be annoying explaining to people how to do this and that within the game.

Oh, if you want your console start the game with the -console switch (iirc) or tick the console option in the menu (I think it's in advanced).

Gameplay wise.. don't do anything stupid like throwing a flashbang in the middle of your teammates or throwing a smoke cannister in people's line of sight (other than the enemies ;)). That's about it I think, just remember to have fun. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cover your teammates
Don't throw flash grenades in front of your team mates
When engaging an enemy, stay still and shoot in short bursts for maximum accuracy
Don't shoot your teammates if friendly fire is on
Don't block passgeways

With this whole "buying" thing between rounds... does the money come from a team pool, or is the cash your own?

And if the funds are communal, is their some sort of etiquette in buying weapons? (Like don't spend over "X" amount?)

- only guns worth buying are desert eagle, mp5, colt/ak, and awp. The rest of the rifles are useable with more experience.
- make sure you have enough money for full body armor before you get an expensive weapon. Infact make it a habit to buy armor first.
- E is the default defuse/hostage rescue button. Buy kits on bomb maps, which have de_ in front of the map name.
- set your buy equiptment menu to V.
- Use headphones and listen to where enemies are coming from. Walk. Watch your radar for teammates. Don't flashbang them.
- you are faster when you run with your knife/grenade/pistol. learn how to quickswitch (default q), every second counts at roundstart.
- Check your corners.
- AWP snipers can be frusterating, if you have to engage them, dont stop strafing, and burst fire the moment you switch directions. Just wait for them to come to you if you can.
- dont stand still like someone said, move around, use cover, pausing long enough to get off good bursts with your weapons. crouch and fire off if there is just one, and you are certain you can kill them.
- headshots are deadly.
- 1-3 shot bursts with ak, 1-5 with colt. they are both "sprayable" crouching if you learn the shot pattern.
- use a lower sensitivity.
- dont get frusterated and give up on the best multiplayer game ever. the high scores will come with experience

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Money is solely your own. Each kill you get a certain amount of money. If your team wins the round you get like $4000+. Even if you lose you still get like $1500 to reaquip yourself. The key to having buckets of money is to just try to stay alive and be on the winning team.

If you survive a round (whether you win or lose) you keep all your guns and stuff from the prior round.

Do not overlook pistols. Deagle (in CS 1.5 at least) was one of the most powerful guns in the game.

To aim better duck.

Don't whore the AWP.

I think that is it :)

Banjo Tango said:
With this whole "buying" thing between rounds... does the money come from a team pool, or is the cash your own?

And if the funds are communal, is their some sort of etiquette in buying weapons? (Like don't spend over "X" amount?)

the cash is your own. you get more for kills, rescues, defuses (I believe?), and winning the round.

outSp3eD'ed :p

AeroGod

Banjo Tango said:

awp_a.jpg

1 Shot Kills

When engaging an enemy, stay still and shoot in short bursts for maximum accuracy
Uhhh, no. Never, ever stand still. I don't mean just run and shoot, but you've gotta strafe, pause for a split second to shoot a burst, then strafe again. It's so easy to kill a player that's standing still.

captainbiotch said:
- only guns worth buying are desert eagle, mp5, colt/ak, and awp.
I disagree with this. Any weapon can be deadly if mastered, but you're right, the weapons you listed are probably the most efficient in the hands of a half-decent player.

- use a lower sensitivity.
My sensitivity is at 15 and I'm always one of the top players in any server. What's the default? Like 3? How anyone can use that boggles my mind...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
In-game sensitivity also depends on Windows sens. and your mouse, so it's not always a straight comparison.

AWP is 1 shot kill, unless you hit an arm/leg.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Really, just practice, practice and more practice. The biggest thing will be learning the maps--sniper zones, clog points, etc. Try to use a buy script or just bind purchases (ie: F1-12 for weapons) to save time at spawn--it's essential to have the step if you're rushing. If you're CT, don't neglect buying a defuse kit--I see so many rounds lost on time alone. If you see a flashbang tossed, either by your team or the enemy, learn to turn the other way on reaction to avoid being blinded.

Don't ever be too tentative--controlled agression is a good thing (though I know the resident AWP'ers will put the fear of God in you every now and then).

Learn to use that mouse--always watch your 6, constantly survey your surroundings, esp. in clog points (dust for example, in the tunnel).

Quick-switching weapons is also important, esp. in the middle of a gunfight and you run out of ammo w/ your primary, switch to the pistol to cover your ass if you can't find a safe spot to reload.

Learn the enemies tendencies! Do they rush all the time? And from the same route? Anticipation is huge in this game.

Top Bottom