• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help find me a USB powered Wireless Network adapter for a laptop

First of all I want to know if these actually work, and if so which ones. Will it be able to overtake my existing internal adapter by just plugging it in or do I have to disable the internal one first? There's like a million of them and some have antennas, some don't...are there any other differences between these things? Anything else I should know or watch out for?

I've got a new AC router but my laptops internal network adapter only supports up to Wireless N, so I was looking at getting a usb powered network adapter that supports Wireless AC. I'm hoping for faster speeds without opening up my laptop.

It would work in tandem with your existing WiFi module unless you disable it. It would be like having 2 ethernet NICs; you could use em both together or only one.

While you mentioned not wanting to open up your laptop, if it's possible for you to update the WiFi module on your model laptop, it should be incredibly easy, and would be the better overall solution.

Jezbollah

If it's internal PCIe you could try removing it. I know you dont want to do that but it's insanely simple, if you can access the module.

Failing that, go and look for some Facebook competitions :)

K will look into opening it up I'm just being lazy and don't know what to buy when it comes to that.

If it's internal PCIe you could try removing it. I know you dont want to do that but it's insanely simple, if you can access the module.

Failing that, go and look for some Facebook competitions :)
lmao. Ok thanks

Plug it in and connect. As said, disable the other one via device manager. Interestingly, I'm not sure how windows handles a heirarchy of wireless devices and what gets priority. I'm assuming on-board devices get pri, but most usb adapters come with software that, while having some overhead, if installed, will most likely take control over windows and make itself the primary device. I'm just hypothesizing how it would work if we didn't disable your on-board in device manager

Is this what you're spending your gift card on?

But seriously, look at the TP-Link USB adapters. Great adapters for a great price.

rrs

from my own usage of such devices, the signal won't be as good as the built in hardware unless you get a big ass antenna with it.
Plug it in and connect. As said, disable the other one via device manager. Interestingly, I'm not sure how windows handles a heirarchy of wireless devices and what gets priority. I'm assuming on-board devices get pri, but most usb adapters come with software that, while having some overhead, if installed, will most likely take control over windows and make itself the primary device. I'm just hypothesizing how it would work if we didn't disable your on-board in device manager
priority is usually ethernet, then wireless but you can change it in software. Don't really need to disable internal card for this new one to connect via ac, although it might require some fiddling with settings

I hope Amazon links are OK to post on GAF.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TX8IDA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My son PC games with this, and it's been flawless on Windows 10 for probably 9 months so far. I've got an AC1200 wireless router and this connects on 5ghz. Great connection playing Overwatch, COD, that one car soccer thing whose name I forget :/

Cool that's actually the exact one I was looking at getting. Will buy it then thanks.

I'll probably get a normal internal one later though as it does look super easy to pop a new one in. Just need to find which one I need to buy.

from my own usage of such devices, the signal won't be as good as the built in hardware unless you get a big ass antenna with it.
priority is usually ethernet, then wireless but you can change it in software. Don't really need to disable internal card for this new one to connect via ac, although it might require some fiddling with settings
hmm ok thanks will see what internal card I need and probably get both.

See if your dentist has a monthly contest to win a free one.

But seriously, they definitely do work. I've used one on my gaming PC for years. The only thing I can say is that its relatively close to the router, so not sure how far you are looking to go.

Is this the internal one I should be looking at getting? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOS19E6/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I think the one I currently have is the Intel 2765 maybe?

See if your dentist has a monthly contest to win a free one.

But seriously, they definitely do work. I've used one on my gaming PC for years. The only thing I can say is that its relatively close to the router, so not sure how far you are looking to go.

That's actually my big issue with buying a usb powered one. I'm on the main floor of the house while the routers in the basement. So my speeds already get their ass kicked just due to the walls. I have a couple of laptops though, and the other which has an AC card in it already is getting much better speeds than this wireless N one I'm on right now. I can't have that so need to try something lol

rrs

Is this the internal one I should be looking at getting? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOS19E6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's actually my big issue with buying a usb powered one. I'm on the main floor of the house while the routers in the basement. So my speeds already get their ass kicked just due to the walls. I have a couple of laptops though, and the other which has an AC card in it already is getting much better speeds than this wireless N one I'm on right now. I can't have that so need to try something lol
1. directly replacing internal wireless cards might make the bios unhappy, I know there used to be a trend of locking the cards that could be used. Also, check if your laptop is 2x2 or 3x3 as that card is just 1x1 and most gains from ac are from that.
2. The big antenna should counteract the lower power of USB port

clav

Unless your laptop is Acer or ASUS, most laptops have a whitelist of approved wireless internal cards and require a BIOS mod injection to accept new cards.

We're not talking ethernet. And you say you can manage the priority in software? What's the control panel variant? You might only be talking about ethernet vs wireless tho...

Unless your laptop is Acer or ASUS, most laptops have a whitelist of approved wireless internal cards and require a BIOS mod injection to accept new cards.

Uh, no? That would lose companies a ton of money if that were true. I find it plausible that there is a whitelist and standards but what manufacturer releases a wireless usb stick that doesn't pass it?

clav

Antenna gains are minimal, but every bit helps. They usually are rated on the packaging or product information of how much gain.

If you're not sure what current internal wireless card you have, then don't bother.

I can't find Intel 2765 unless you mean Intel 7265.

Uh, no? That would lose companies a ton of money if that were true. I find it plausible that there is a whitelist and standards but what manufacturer releases a wireless usb stick that doesn't pass it?

Who said USB stick? I said internal wireless card.

Why would companies lose money when most people don't bother upgrading components on a laptop nor do research on what the internals look like before purchasing?

The OP said USB. It's in the title of the thread

Did you read where the OP considered upgrading internally?

Antenna gains are minimal, but every bit helps. They usually are rated on the packaging or product information of how much gain.

If you're not sure what current internal wireless card you have, then don't bother.

I can't find Intel 2765 unless you mean Intel 7265.

That's odd I checked again and that is what I meant. Is that not already supposed to be AC?? From descriptions I'm reading it looks like I should already have it. I don't know how to test aside from the download speeds I'm getting which are pretty poor compared to the laptop sitting next to me which I know also has AC and gets 3-4x the download speeds when I run a speed test.

Is it possible only the AC part of my Network adapter card isn't working? Maybe it's either just half broke or there's a loose wire?

99Luffy

Banned
I bought the cheapest wireless ac adapter on amazon and its just as reliable as my old asus wireless n adapter. Brand was wise tiger.

shockdude

That's odd I checked again and that is what I meant. Is that not already supposed to be AC?? From descriptions I'm reading it looks like I should already have it. I don't know how to test aside from the download speeds I'm getting which are pretty poor compared to the laptop sitting next to me which I know also has AC and gets 3-4x the download speeds when I run a speed test.

Is it possible only the AC part of my Network adapter card isn't working? Maybe it's either just half broke or there's a loose wire?
The Intel 7265 should already do AC, yeah. Its a pretty good wifi chip too, assuming the internal antenna is decent.
Make sure your router has a 5GHz network and that Wireless AC is even enabled.
You can check your wifi mode (N, AC) in the Task Manager.

The Intel 7265 should already do AC, yeah. Its a pretty good wifi chip too, assuming the internal antenna is decent.
Make sure your router has a 5GHz network and that Wireless AC is even enabled.
You can check your wifi mode (N, AC) in the Task Manager.

Yeah that's done. I also updated the driver to the latest version and there was zero difference. Something is definitely broken or bad then. Is the antenna just the wires coming off it? I think I'm going to have to open this thing up and look at it.

Basically I have a 150mbps connection. On the cheap laptop next to me I get anywhere from 50-90mbps on Wireless AC. On this laptop I can only get to about 25mbps for whatever reason. So my connection already takes a big hit just because of my distance/walls between my router. If I could even get this one to the 50-80 mark I'd be happy with it.

shockdude

Yeah that's done. I also updated the driver to the latest version and there was zero difference. Something is definitely broken or bad then. Is the antenna just the wires coming off it? I think I'm going to have to open this thing up and look at it.

Basically I have a 150mbps connection. On the cheap laptop next to me I get anywhere from 50-90mbps on Wireless AC. On this laptop I can only get to about 25mbps for whatever reason.
welp turns out there's a variant of the 7265 that only does Wireless N. Unless Device Manager specifically says "AC", you'll probably have to get a new wifi adapter.
Unless your laptop has a dumb whitelist, you could buy the 7265-AC and it should work.

welp turns out there's a variant of the 7265 that only does Wireless N. Unless Device Manager specifically says "AC", you'll probably have to get a new wifi adapter.
Unless your laptop has a dumb whitelist, you could buy the 7265-AC and it should work.

Hmm I'll check device manager. Task Manager is telling me I'm on 802.11ac.

Edit: Device manager shows the same thing. Intel(R) Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265

shockdude

Hmm I'll check device manager. Task Manager is telling me I'm on 802.11ac.

Edit: Device manager shows the same thing. Intel(R) Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7265
oh, well there you go. You already have a decent wifi adapter that is successfully able to do AC. Getting a new wifi adapter (internal or external) likely won't help much.
Are you connected to the 5GHz network? Check Task Manager again.

oh, well there you go. You already have a decent wifi adapter that is successfully able to do AC. Getting a new wifi adapter (internal or external) likely won't help much.
Are you connected to the 5GHz network? Check Task Manager again.

Yep I am definitely connected to my 5G network and not the 2.4ghz network. If I switch between them on each laptop there's an obvious difference when running the speedtest on the laptop I know works.

On this one with the issue there is no noticeable difference in speeds when switching between 2.4/5ghz networks.

Is it possible for some type of virus or a torrent type program to have an effect like this?? I wonder if there's something weird I don't know about running on this laptop compared to the other? Or maybe that wouldn't matter since it would effect the network in general and not this specific laptop? Maybe I need to monitor the bandwidth usage on each somehow? I assume theres a program that can do that.

Well I found out at least part of the problem...it's silly....still not getting proper speeds when compared to the other laptop though so something is still very wrong.

A part of the problem seemed to be some interference from a connected Logitech M510 Wireless mouse. I thought that would be 2.4ghz so I dont know how its effecting my 5ghz Network but I'm consistently getting 35 or so mbps with the mouse unplugged vs about 20 with it plugged in.

Going to take the laptop apart in awhile and check the wires and try to make sure that this is in fact an AC card.

Apt101

I have a Linksys AE6000 I keep around just in case. When I've had to use it, it was fine. Hell, I couldn't even tell I was wireless while playing BF1.

I have a Linksys AE6000 I keep around just in case. When I've had to use it, it was fine. Hell, I couldn't even tell I was wireless while playing BF1.

Yeah I bought the one someone mentioned earlier in the thread just to try it out and see if it helps. Should get it Monday.

Top Bottom