• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose a MMOG

IJoel

heh... I gave the game more than 240 hours of gameplay before I stopped playing it.

As for doing quests, the rewards are way too low for the time spent. Yes, it does help the reputation, but most of the quests are borefests.

Scott

MrCheez, I didn't direct any of that towards you. I've seen your posts about the game, and it seems you gave the game a fair chance. I know you just didn't end up liking it after sinking a lot of time into it, and it happens, to each their own. I have absolutely no problem with you, and I have respect for your opinion about the game, because you haven't resorted to making stuff up about it, or exaggerating it's faults.

My problem is really just with the people I see go into random threads about the game and just simply make shit up (see firex, Tre`, akascream, and so on). I typically avoid the FFXI debate threads, though, because as others have said, the haters come in full force making shit up and demand that they're recognized as "right." Then the fanboys come in and make the game sound boring, or even work-like. There's hardly any room for people with a firm middle-ground, simply not-liking it or simply enjoying it.

And speaking of the work-like opinions, what's this "It gets really good after this level!" crap I see some of the game's fans throw out there? That's bullshit, too.

I've had fun with the game since the first couple days of play, and while I've had some bad experiences (with horrid parties, or the lack of in-game information for some quests), I still thoroughly enjoy the game. It's also hardly a level-up fest for me (my highest is 30, compared to other GA PS2 players in the 50-60s), as I spend a lot of time exploring the world and the content, or simply just helping other players out. I take a lot of time out of my day to just simply run around Raising people in a death-trap zone (Yhoator Jungle, Qufim Island, Valkurm Dunes, etc), or helping people with quests or missions I've finished a hundred hours ago.

Maybe that doesn't work for some, and they just want to level-up. That works for them, I guess. I'm fine with how I play, though, as even though I don't make very much progress, I'm still having fun... And really, that's all that matters to me.

EDIT: No problem with you, either, IJoel. I actually agree with the Gil problem, because some jobs just completely lack the ability to farm well (like my White Mage), so it does get quite tedious sometimes. :\

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Thanks for the post, Scott. I admit that most of my arguments are heated by debates from previous threads (and there have been quite a few now, sadly) with many of the FFXI-fans who still post. So I apologize for generalizing.

Anyway, I am glad you guys do enjoy the game. =) The truth is, I argue over the quality of the game so much because I really wanted to keep enjoying it. Edit: And of course I can see things about it that are enjoyable and well done, which is why it took me 80 hours to quit.

IJoel

Scott said:
EDIT: No problem with you, either, IJoel. I actually agree with the Gil problem, because some jobs just completely lack the ability to farm well (like my White Mage), so it does get quite tedious sometimes. :\

This is what my main problem is. I have a BLM/WHM and the spells are very expensive and there's no return value on them (unlike armor/weapons/accessories).

I'm actually giving the game another try this weekend. I will try to farm some time to get over this slum and try to get back into it, because before getting burned with the gil farming deal, I was hooked big time on it.

nubbe

Haha, I love how these MMO threads always turns into heated discussions how FFXI sucks or not…

FFXI a fanatic fanboy playground… it only appeals to a selected few… like a SEGA game :p

Alex

I think it's enjoyable from the start, but again, the piss poor documentation, and the general low quality of players up from Zulkheim > Qufim > Elshimo can make it difficult, unless you're well versed, or experienced enough to whip newbies into doing your bidding.

They actually have been adding a lot of lower level content lately though. Garrison, BCNM20, mini-Avatar, etc, etc.

The game does evolve a lot, Cheez. Combat system and party formation espically, the kind of jobs you formed with at 25-30ish would get smeared off the map in a LV50-60+ party, Warriors tanking without NIN sub = death.

Speaking of which, tanking becomes a fine art, espically GOOD NIN tanking, not to say PLD's don't bust their asses. Peoples reputations are made and broken over enmity holding compared to the total simplicity of it early on.

Anyway, there's a lot I could say about other stuff, but I'll let someone else do it for now.

"This is what my main problem is. I have a BLM/WHM and the spells are very expensive and there's no return value on them (unlike armor/weapons/accessories)."

Most people at the lower areas don't even equip themselves properly, so it's sorta a one-sided gig for mages, who typically have the smarts to buy all their spells.

At lower levels, it's pretty easy for BLM to -Ga farm however, plus it's fun, and it scares brand newbies to death. Basic NM camping was NEVER for me, even when I was on THF for awhile (till about LV53), so you'll never hear me suggesting that.

Later on, BLM and BRD become basicly impossible to atypically farm with, crafting, mining, BCNM and HNM will be what those jobs do.

Not that I can comment on synthing, sorry. =/ I've never bothered with it much. I will meddle if/when I start up a NIN on the side of my typical Dynamis/HNM/helping routine.

WHM, eh. It has a bad stint as well, but duo farming with a WHM is fun as fuck once you get Hexa, I know that's late in, I just had to say it.

When I was trying to nab my Moldavite ages ago in Onzozo. I always used to see this duo of a Paladin and a White Mage come in and Hexa > Spinning slash into a Light renkei on Cockatrices and shit like that. Inflicting extreme damage on low creatures whose huge asses have way too much HP than they should = fun!

Really, I'm just bitching because I wish BLM and BRD got some farmable WS's as well.

Even early on, it's easy to teleport out to the boonies on WHM, and just farm simple stuff and run errands while you seek or wait for someone, that's one thing I bitched about until I could do on a sub on my BLM until I hit it 72/36. :p

Zaptruder

Banned
MrCheez said:
Thanks for the post, Scott. I admit that most of my arguments are heated by debates from previous threads (and there have been quite a few now, sadly) with many of the FFXI-fans who still post. So I apologize for generalizing.

Anyway, I am glad you guys do enjoy the game. =) The truth is, I argue over the quality of the game so much because I really wanted to keep enjoying it. Edit: And of course I can see things about it that are enjoyable and well done, which is why it took me 80 hours to quit.

Truthfully... 80 hours is a drop in the bucket for this game.

That said, I had my share of enjoyable moments in my first 80 hours... about 3-4 days by my watch... or my first week or so playing... I guess I had just gotten my subjob by that level... leveled it up... and was headed to jeuno.

and I can honestly say that at that point... if I had quit... I wouldn't have known what FFXI was about (in the sense of what was really enjoyable in the game).

I'm at about 100 playing days now...

at this point; I can honestly tell you.... FFXI is a good game for people willing to sink their time on it. There's a huge variety of activities... the quests do get good, the story is relatively interesting (although the time to get the various pieces is huge)... the combat system is pretty well done (although they're detractors aplenty), the graphics are great for a MMORPG and the general feel of the world is quite fantastic.

It's just plain ignorant to dismiss me as a 'fanboy' because I say the game takes a long time to do stuff... I mean... how the fuck does that make me a fanboy? But that's the reality of the game; it's great, if you're willing to spend huge amounts of time on it.

Belfast

nubbe said:
Haha, I love how these MMO threads always turns into heated discussions how FFXI sucks or not…

FFXI a fanatic fanboy playground… it only appeals to a selected few… like a SEGA game :p

Which is why its currently one of the biggest out there, bigger than EQ? Give me a fucking break.

TheDuce22

Banned
I have played pretty much all of them. Dark age of camelot is currently the best if your looking for PVP, even though all mmog pvp has turned to crap so its not even worth doing anymore. A warning goes with that too, if you play DOAC you will be something like 3 years behind the curve. It will be hard to level high enough to even participate in realm wars. Yes they have lower level battle grounds but most everyone has level 50's now so the battlegrounds are hardly used. FFXI is the best for PVE and by far the most polished game in the genere. Anarchy online is worth checking out too. Its really unique and has a ton of content along with decent pvp and pve.

Top Bottom