• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! My Google toolbar has been replaced by "SearchMiracle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something called SearchMiracle has gotten on my PC and replaced my Google toolbar, and also made "SearchMiracle.com" my homepage. Easy enough to fix the homepage, but I tried downloading the Google toolbar twice, and yet it won't replace the SearchMiracle toolbar. I also tried running Spybot S&D to no avail.

Any ideas?

8bit

Knows the Score
First, install firefox. Use it, love it. Stop using using IE unless you want the same sort of thing to keep happening.

Next, update S&D definitions, run it again. Reboot. Get Adaware, do the same thing.

This is my PC at work, so even though I've heard good things about Firefox, I really need to stick with IE. I checked S&D for updates, but there were none. I don't know if S&D would help me now after the fact, I need to know how to get the Seachmiracle toolbar off. S&D never removed my Google toolbar, so I don't think it would remove the new one.

8bit

Knows the Score
Well, you've got quite a task ahead of you removing it. I'm pretty sure it's malware. Check your add remove programs for odd entries, and have a look in the registry hive for strange entries in the windows\run branch under local computer. Check adaware as it might find stuff that Spybot didn't.

Also, secure your IE installation and start using the internet zones to control what can and can't be executed.

Also, look here.

http://computercops.biz/postp275791.html

Lucky Forward said:
This is my PC at work, so even though I've heard good things about Firefox, I really need to stick with IE. I checked S&D for updates, but there were none. I don't know if S&D would help me now after the fact, I need to know how to get the Seachmiracle toolbar off. S&D never removed my Google toolbar, so I don't think it would remove the new one.

If it is your work PC you shouldn't have installed the Google toolbar in the first place. That being said you should still install firefox.

Ferrio

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
A lot of jobs don't allow you to install software on their computers.

As does mine. But I went to the windows admin and went "I NEED FIREFOX" and he's like "OK" and boom I got firefox.

Zaptruder said:
Even tho he's installing google bar as well as plenty of malware through using IE...
Yeah, you're right, but I see the Google bar as something incidental, whereas IE is part of the specific Microsoft Office "image" we're supposed to have installed. I could have my IT guy look at this toolbar problem for me, but I like to downplay and not make an issue of my internet usage.

BTW, I installed Ad-Aware to see if it would help, and it found a slew of things that Spybot didn't. However, when I deleted the flagged items, my IE wouldn't work any more. Fortunately, I was able to recover the deletions I did. I'll probably just live with my unwanted toolbar.

Gattsu25

Banned
try this:

in IE: Tools » Internet Options »» Advanced (tab) » [Disable/remove the check near] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)

Edit: no problem, man. oh and it needs to be said again: Firefox :b

Gattsu25 said:
try this:

in IE: Tools » Internet Options »» Advanced (tab) » [Disable/remove the check near] Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
Thanks, that did get rid of the offending toolbar. I'll have to play with seeing if I can re-enable that option to get the google bar back, or I'll just live without it.

Lucky Forward said:
Yeah, you're right, but I see the Google bar as something incidental, whereas IE is part of the specific Microsoft Office "image" we're supposed to have installed. I could have my IT guy look at this toolbar problem for me, but I like to downplay and not make an issue of my internet usage.

BTW, I installed Ad-Aware to see if it would help, and it found a slew of things that Spybot didn't. However, when I deleted the flagged items, my IE wouldn't work any more. Fortunately, I was able to recover the deletions I did. I'll probably just live with my unwanted toolbar.

If you can instally the toolbar you can install firefox. Installing Firefox is not uninstalling IE. As far a security policy is concerned you are as in much a violation if you install the toolbar as you are if you install Firefox or Doom 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom