• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help with a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an apartment building and I don't want to share my connection with the 30 or so other people in the building. I have my G5 hardwired to the router (that was a snap), but I'm trying to set up my room mate's Windows laptop and that's a bitch. It's really easy if I just want an unprotected network, but I'm trying to put some sort of password on it or just hide the network. Could someone help me out?

You need to turn on encryption and give it a pass key of some sort. Then you use that same key on the encryption settings on the laptop. Once that is set up, make sure you turn off SSID broadcasting, and if you can, you can even restrict it so that only the mac address of the laptop can access the wireless network.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
First, connect with an ethernet cable to the Router, just in case you mess up the Wireless settings (changine/enabling the WEP password will cause your Wireless cards to lose the connection until they are configured to use the same password as the one the Router for the Wireless network).

Create the WEP 128 bits password/key from the Router (connect to its web interface as it is said in the manual) write the password/key down, set-up your wireless card in your PC to operate in infrastructure mode (if there is a "enable ad-hoc mode" check-box, make sure it is unchecked then) and enable WEP 128 bits on the Wireless card (Right click on My Networks and then left click on Properties.. right click on the wireless card and then left click on Properties). Now insert the password/key you previously obtained in the appropriate field.

Make sure that the channel ID is the same on both Router WiFi interface and your Wireless card on your PC.

Also, if you have time: write down the MAC address of your Wireless cards (ipconfig on Windows CMD prompt and ifconfig on your Mac G5 which should have OSX).

Now enable an option on the Router that allows only identified Mac Addresses to connect to the Wireless network and insert the two MAC addresses you just obtained.

Also make sure you know the Wireless conenction SSID (do not use the default one) because you want to disable the broadcasting of the SSID by the part of the Router.

WEP + SSID are the two simplest, most important things you should take care of.

Also, did you make sure to change the password on your router? It's easy to forget about, but your network is completely at risk if you don't.

Thank you guys soooo much. What you reccomended is what I had thought to do in the first place, but it looks like the laptop is having some general internet problems. Nothing I can't fix. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom