• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s What Half-Life 2 Looks Like With Nvidia RTX Remix

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Now, thanks to RTX Remix being released, fans can expect to see classic video games be given a visual boost. One example has been spotted by DSO Gaming, which shows Half-Life 2 through the Nvidia toolkit, specifically utilizing Path Tracing. The technology works similarly to ray tracing, in that it's used to give a much more modern appearance by improving lighting and reflections within a scene. The uploaded screenshots really do the nearly 20-year-old game justice. Anyone interested can download the RTX Remix from GitHub, and a report from PC Gamer links to a Discord server for getting started on a modding project.

Fuz

Banned
It’s looks like half-life 2 🤷‍♂️
doesn't look like Half-Life 2
yDOOy9r.gif

JackMcGunns

looks like half-life 2 🤷‍♂️
doesn't look like Half-Life 2.

That looks amazing!

It looks like an old game.
It looks like a whole new game!

seems too bright to me, or maybe just the bright bits are too bright lol.
It looks too dark. They should brighten it up.

neogaf25rugz.gif

Last edited:

Laptop1991

It does look good but at the same time it seems too bright to me, or maybe just the bright bits are too bright lol.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
shiny pretty graphics doesn't make a game.

i'm sure HL in its prime was amazing and groundbreaking but i'm not going to play a game just because it looks better.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is good espeically because half life 2 has some flat as hell boring lighting, espeically by 2004 game standards
Doom 3 came out the exact same time and blows it out of the water in lighting

ss_15559ce8d50ad32f959531815d21b10238fb7344.1920x1080.jpg

I like the RTX implementation but i think it has a long way to go before it can really make HL2 look next gen. Still looks behind Alyx in a few areas

Last edited:

Now, thanks to RTX Remix being released, fans can expect to see classic video games be given a visual boost. One example has been spotted by DSO Gaming, which shows Half-Life 2 through the Nvidia toolkit, specifically utilizing Path Tracing. The technology works similarly to ray tracing, in that it's used to give a much more modern appearance by improving lighting and reflections within a scene. The uploaded screenshots really do the nearly 20-year-old game justice. Anyone interested can download the RTX Remix from GitHub, and a report from PC Gamer links to a Discord server for getting started on a modding project.

Not gonna lie. After playing Portal RTX. I was expecting a full blown texture remaster, similar to that. This doesn't look like they did as much in comparison (get that Portal is a much smaller game). I'll probably pass if it's just updated lighting, shadows, and reflections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom