• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroic Mass. State Police and National Guard protect citizens with marijuana raids

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-garden-to-take-out-a-single-marijuana-plant/
Margaret Holcomb, an 81-year-old woman from Amherst, Mass., grew a single marijuana plant in her garden, tucked away behind the raspberries. She used it to ease the ailments of old age: glaucoma, arthritis and the occasional sleepless night.

She hadn't tried to get a medical marijuana card, because of the challenges of getting a doctor's approval, she told the Daily Hampshire Gazette. And traveling to the dispensary in the next town over and paying for marijuana grown by someone else would be too costly, she feared.

So on the afternoon of Sept. 21, a team of Massachusetts State Police and Massachusetts National Guard troops sent a helicopter, several vehicles, and a handful of troopers to Holcomb's house to chop down the plant and haul it away in a pickup truck.

Holcomb wasn't the only one targeted by the marijuana raid. State police spokesman David Procopio told the Gazette that authorities also seized 43 other plants from various properties that day. The largest of these seizures involved 20 plants. Several properties netted only two plants each. None of the property owners were charged with crimes, according to Procopio.

Procopio said these operations were done under the auspices of the Drug Enforcement Administration's Cannabis Eradication Program, which gives state authorities money to uproot pot plants. This year, the DEA gave Massachusetts $60,000 for marijuana eradication efforts, according to federal documents obtained and published by journalist Drew Atkins.

Last year, Massachusetts received $75,000 and destroyed 3,138 plants under the program, a cost to federal taxpayers of about $24 per plant.
This summer, a task force consisting of National Guard troops and state troopers used a helicopter to aid in seizing four marijuana plants from 81-year-old former cancer patient Paul Jackson on Martha's Vineyard, according to the Martha's Vineyard Times. Like Margaret Holcomb, Jackson didn't have a medical marijuana license.
In 2014, marijuana eradicators in Georgia raided a retiree's garden after mistaking okra for marijuana.
Holcomb told the Gazette she is considering simply growing another pot plant. "I don’t picture them out here and putting an 81-year-old woman in jail," she said.
She's even admitting her plans to continue to assault the victim by growing marijuana! This should be an air-tight case for someone who actually cares about society, why is the government failing to protect us?

It's amazing how much our police's hands are tied and they're left helpless if they can't even arrest these criminals so they can go home safe.

Arc

Please vote Yes on 4 Massachusetts. We need to slowly get more states legal before we'll see change at the federal level.

Derwind

Bless these brave people protecting the community from violent 81 year old criminal pot grower. Bless their courage.

hypernima

Banned
I just imagine this full scale Micheal Bay intensity raid....all for one plant.
Pretty sure there's a Simpsons gif for this too.

Man I would be livid if I was a Mass. resident and the clowns in office were wasting my tax money on this kind of ridiculous shit.

entremet

Massive waste of resources.

There was a GAFfer that was asking for growing advice and people were saying cops don't target recreational growers.

I guess not!

Gattsu25

Banned
Reading the thread title I thought it was going to be a repost of this: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1290938
5c65mi6.jpg

This year, the DEA gave Massachusetts $60,000 for marijuana eradication efforts,
In the grand scheme of things, that's small potatoes, but yeah that amount should be zero. The fact there's an incentive in the first place creates ridiculous situations like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom