• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Bitch, pay your gas or wear this sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

SALISBURY, Maryland (AP) -- A woman who stole $4.52 worth of fuel was ordered to stand outside the gas station Friday wearing a sandwich board sign that declared: "I was caught stealing gas."

Sherelle Purnell obeyed the court order, although by the time she arrived 90 minutes late to her noon sentence, the crowd of people that gathered to watch her had dispersed.

"There were parents who came with their children, wanting to teach them a lesson," said Jan Phipps, manager of Gordy's Tiger Mart, which pushed for the unorthodox punishment.

Purnell, 18, who was caught on surveillance tape speeding away from the gas pump, walked along the convenience shop's grassy storefront as passing drivers honked horns and made catcalls.

Andrew Black, who stopped by on his lunch break, was critical of the punishment and converted an old beer poster into a sign protesting high gas prices.

"What is this, the Middle Ages?" said Black.

Purnell declined to comment.

Some passers-by considered the punishment to be a good deterrent.

"Embarrassment is the best way to deal with these things," Randy Jedlicka said.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/07/31/sign.of.shame.ap/index.html

vert.sign.ap.jpg

tee hee.

Phoenix

Not sure how this wouldn't be considered 'cruel and unusual' punishment. Clearly she didn't have a lawyer for representation.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
My problem is with the people who showed up to watch. For Christ's sake, do they have nothing better to do? Slowly inching by someone who's been pulled over is one thing; making plans to go stare at someone walking in front of gas station with a sign is another level of pathetic.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Minotauro said:
My problem is with the people who showed up to watch. For Christ's sake, do they have nothing better to do? Slowly inching by someone who's been pulled over is one thing; making plans to go stare at someone walking in front of gas station with a sign is another level of pathetic.

My problem is with people who whine about how other people spend their friggin time. Stop worrying about what the hell is going on in your neighbor's yard and take care of your own.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix said:
Not sure how this wouldn't be considered 'cruel and unusual' punishment. Clearly she didn't have a lawyer for representation.
You think having to stand outside with a sign is crueler than jail?

And perhaps it is a bit unusual, but I prefer the more positive term "creative."

Certainly better than sending yet another person needlessly off to jail to eat away at taxpayer money for a relatively minor offense. There are other effective ways of punishing those who break the law, and I think this is a good example of one. In the end, it's just a heavy dose of embarassment, and I can guarantee you she's never going to try the same thing again.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
DarienA said:
My problem is with people who whine about how other people spend their friggin time. Stop worrying about what the hell is going on in your neighbor's yard and take care of your own.

Oh, shut the fuck up. Since when did it become illegal to bitch about the choices of others? Shit, this seems to be one of the hallmarks that the gaming-age forum was founded upon.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MetatronM said:
In the end, it's just a heavy dose of embarassment
But isn't that the point? Playing the devil's advocate, isn't embarassment and public humiliation bordering on the cruel and unusual?

I remember reading about a parent sentenced to living in a shed with only bread and water for a couple nights as punishment for keeping his son in there for a long time. I'd say that some of these judges have begun doing some really bizarre punishments that are genuinely iffy on the morality scale.

belgurdo

Banned
MetatronM said:
and I can guarantee you she's never going to try the same thing again.

Or she'll just do it somewhere else and cover her ass next time

And Minotauro, the golden rule of GAF: You're allowed to have an opinion, as long as it's the same as everyone else's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom