• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima says he turned down offers to make a big-budget Death Stranding movie

Draugoth

Gold Member
death-stranding-screen-09-ps4-us-28may19-1440x810.jpg

Kojima and Civil director Alex Garland recently had a discussion with Famitsu (as spotted by Automaton), and the topic of the upcoming Death Stranding movie was brought up. It was announced last December that Kojima was working with A24 – the film distribution and production company behind movies like Everything Everywhere All At Once, Talk to Me, Uncut Gems, Midsommar, Lady Bird and Moonlight – to make a live-action Death Stranding film.

Kojima told Famitsu that he chose to work with A24 because he didn’t want to make an expensive blockbuster action movie.

“I have no intention of directing it myself, so I am involved with the producer in terms of the plot, etc,”

Kojima explained.

Sourcer

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, DS is never going to be a big hit with the audience. No one knows about kojima outside of gaming circles no matter how much he hangs out with hollywood people.

releasing it as a small A24 movie and hoping it goes viral like Everything Everywhere All At once is a good bet. The smaller the budget, the more successful it can be even without a massive box office haul.

RaduN

Apparently Konami was annoyed with him for being way over budget and taking very long to deliver the game. Hideo is a huge fan of lengthy cutscenes and mocap, and making video games more like movies
But don't his games always sell pretty well, like many millions? I remember seeing somewhere that MGS sold some 50 or 60 mil copies. It may not be GTA level but still, the profits must be insane.

Skifi28

What a missed chance for gamers everywhere. When he directs games, he just ends up making movies instead. Directing a movie would have probably given us the best videogame by Kojima ever.

Last edited:
I don't really know why there was always the meme of "all he wants to do is direct a movie." He could have been given a decent budget and directed a movie at any time over the last 20+ years. The man is absolutely obsessed with Hollywood and film in general, but he wants to make games. He literally said directly that he will make games until he dies.

Like, its kind of absurd to say the man behind the Psycho Mantis fight, the Fatman fight, and the End fight doesn't want to make games and only really cares about movies. The Psycho Mantis fight might be the most notorious boss in gaming history, yeah I'm sure he just stumbled into that while wishing he was instead on a movie set the whole time. He cares greatly about the interactive part of storytelling, hell have you seen how much he playtests his own games? To an obsessive level.

It's going to be tough to see how the movie will be a differentiator, because I'm likely 3/4 through the game and it feels like "A24 the game."

Arachnid

MGS3 and Chaos Theory, he did make one of them!
I agree with Chaos Theory

But there is nothing on the market like MGSV. When it comes to flat out stealth mechanics, Splinter Cell and Thief are king IMO. MGSV's sheer amount of player choice and emergent gameplay is a completely different beast. Legit insane experience. I can't imagine classifying that as "nothing".

Last edited:

Perrott

The idiot burned through cash with nothing to show for it during MGSV.
Not only did Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain turned a profit on day one (including the entire R&D for the FOX Engine) and left Konami with the best rated game of its year as well as a state-of-the-art next-generation engine that already at the time was powering the entire slate of the Konami's console titles including Pro Evolution Soccer and Silent Hills (and with no friction whatsoever unlike EA with Frostbite), it also was way cheaper to make and with a much smaller team than any of the other comparable PS4 era cinematic open-world action games made out of North American or European studios by publishers like Sony, Ubisoft, EA, WB or 2K.

Also, "nothing to show for it"? What the fuck are you talking about? They literally released Ground Zeroes as a testament to all the great mechanical and technical work that was being done on the upcoming The Phantom Pain.

Stop spreading lies about what you don't know dick about.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Not only did Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain turned a profit on day one (including the entire R&D for the FOX Engine) and left Konami with the best rated game of its year as well as a state-of-the-art next-generation engine that already at the time was powering the entire slate of the Konami's console titles including Pro Evolution Soccer and Silent Hills (and with no friction whatsoever unlike EA with Frostbite), it also was way cheaper to make and with a much smaller team than any of the other comparable PS4 era cinematic open-world action games made out of North American or European studios by publishers like Sony, Ubisoft, EA, WB or 2K.

Also, "nothing to show for it"? What the fuck are you talking about? They literally released Ground Zeroes as a testament to all the great mechanical and technical work that was being done on the upcoming The Phantom Pain.

Stop spreading lies about what you don't know dick about.

Alright mate Konami love Kojima.

RaduN

Hard to believe.

Imagine non-gamers listening to ds writing in a movie theater :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dude would need like 10 editors to cut all the cringe bullshit.

Have you actually played that game? I'm willing to bet you didn't. You just saw a few scenes and decided...omg teh cringe.

Play it start to finish then you can talk about its writing and story. I mean, i know i don't start talking clueless stuff about games i haven't played...but that's just me.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Have you actually played that game? I'm willing to bet you didn't. You just saw a few scenes and decided...omg teh cringe.

Play it start to finish then you can talk about its writing and story. I mean, i know i don't start talking clueless stuff about games i haven't played...but that's just me.
Bought the game day one and wasted 40 hours to finish it.

Also, fucking please, like i'm the only one that think that ds is a concentrated ball of cringe and kojima hasn't wrote anything decent since mgs3 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But you can like it all you want dude, more power to you.

Last edited:
Where are we at Gaf on the Kojima Love/Hate Dichter Scale?
Hate levels until Death Stranding 2 launches, then everyone here will wipe their brains and start loving him again until they realize DS2 wasted their lives and then they start hating him again and his bs. Pretty much the same thing anytime he releases a game.

Pandawan

Neo Member
I wonder if Norman Reddus will play in this movie. Will it be the first time when the same actor plays the same role on both the videogame and the movie based on this game?

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s true, and it like his stupid cringe bullshit.

Kojima does need someone to keep him in check, imo.
Doesn't people say that there was someone who kept him on a leash for the mgs games to not make him go full retard like he did with mgs4 and ds?

I vaguely remember the name shinkawa but he was an illustrator if my memory serve me well, so it was probably another dude, well i fully believe that narrative :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Death stranding is literally a movie with buttons you press, yes it’s talented and death stranding 2 will be unbelievable but it’s just Kojima trying to get his legs underneath him from the metal gear solid stuff.

Death stranding is literally a movie with buttons you press, yes it’s talented and death stranding 2 will be unbelievable but it’s just Kojima trying to get his legs underneath him from the metal gear solid stuff.
It's not and it shows you have not played the game. It has plenty of shockingly interesting gameplay (not the gun fights though). I believe you can skip the cutscenes if my memory is correct. And it's one of the most beautiful game on PS5, almost unreal how great and realistic it looks and at 60fps.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not and it shows you have not played the game. It has plenty of shockingly interesting gameplay (not the gun fights though). I believe you can skip the cutscenes if my memory is correct. And it's one of the most beautiful game on PS5, almost unreal how great and realistic it looks and at 60fps.
Is this some copy pasta meme i'm unaware of?

GymWolf

Gold Member
You are a little troll after all, aren't you? 🤣
I though he was trolling tbh, between shockingly gameplay and best graphic on ps5 i thought it was obvious :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Don't be so butthurt dude, in here people bash much better games with higher metascores than ds everyday, it's not that serious :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
I though he was trolling tbh, between shockingly gameplay and best graphic on ps5 i thought it was obvious :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Don't be so butthurt dude, in here people bash much better games with higher metascores than ds everyday, it's not that serious :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Because I was expecting dog shit gameplay so I was very pleasantly surprised. And I said one of the most beautiful looking game, not the best. Best would be Demon's Souls.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Because I was expecting dog shit gameplay so I was very pleasantly surprised. And I said one of the most beautiful looking game, not the best. Best would be Demon's Souls.
Demons is definitely one of the best but i think something like wukong or cyberpunk or alan wake 2 or avatar look better, but i would not be against liking demons more, it's in an higher tier enough and with great art style.
Ds get absolutely nuked by hfw, even just because it's the next iteration of decima engine and 5 years newer, but i don't even think ds is the best ps4 game (probably tlou2 or forbidden west ps4) let alone if we talk about ps5, so that remain a big no no for me, if we say one of the best on ps4 then yeah, i'm ok with that.

Now i get the shockingly part, my bad, althought i wasn't really impressed by ds gameplay, it was pretty much was expected or slightly worse.

Last edited:
Yeah, DS is never going to be a big hit with the audience. No one knows about kojima outside of gaming circles no matter how much he hangs out with hollywood people.

releasing it as a small A24 movie and hoping it goes viral like Everything Everywhere All At once is a good bet. The smaller the budget, the more successful it can be even without a massive box office haul.
Not true, normies know him as "the twitter film review guy"

Top Bottom