• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hmm....Sugiyama>>>Uematsu???

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I popped in my Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest Complete 7CD Box set a couple days ago, and OMFG...I cannot believe how much more enjoyable the music is after having played the games (parts I, II, V, and VI to be more specific).

When I first bought and listened to these CDs, I had not played any of the DQ games so the music was just OK to me...nothing special. But when you play the games and let the original tunes grow on you, it is nothing but a breath of beautiful fresh air upon listening to Sugiyama's compositions banged out by the London Philharmonic Orchestra! My goodness....simply rapturous!

So this begs the question.... do you feel Koichi Sugiyama's DQ compositions are better than Nubuo Uematsu's FF compositions? Or does Uematsu still reign supreme in this category(Don't mention Yasunori...that's a whole 'nother enchilada altogether)?

SVWC-7150.jpg

Also, for anyone else that owns the 7 disc set, can you tell me on which disc is the boat sailing theme from part V(the original)? I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Maybe it's there but I just haven't recognized it in its orchestrated form, but when the sailing theme for part VI came on, I instantly recognized it and knew where it was from. I'd be pissed if it's not on any of the on the discs. That was the first DQ track I heard that fell in love with.

"So this begs the question.... do you feel Koichi Sugiyama's DQ compositions are better than Nubuo Uematsu's FF compositions? "

Definetly. Sugiyama just doesn't really get the respect he deserves here since DQ isn't popular.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yes.

- Not sure where the DQ5 sailing song is in that set. I have all the symphonics individually... if it's unchanged from previous ones, it should be on a track with Magic Carpet.

- When I attended UIC, I gave an English prof. and classical music fan two CDs; DQ Best of Roto and FF Symphonic. He thoroughly enjoyed the DQ set and found parallels between Sugiyama's composition to an assortment of other classical composers... and found little to like of the FF cd.

- The first thing I encountered for Final Fantasy VII was not the demo, or screenshots, but my friend buying the soundtrack before the game was released in the US. He was very excited for the purchase and assured me there'd be quality music, based on FF6. After minutes of hearing a handful of tracks, I knew I'd hate the game. His excitement for the music quickly waned as well, and after a few more minutes the cd was removed and I didn't hear it again.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Uematsu tends to be a bit more experimental... this is a double edged sword for him. Some of his stuff I really like (a lot of FFX music, actually - that was the best part of the game for me), but others sound really bad (music of the FF7 experimental type stuff, and I thought the FF9 soundtrack was boring as hell). Sugiyama is much more consistent, even though he doesn't have as many standout tracks, and his music is usually hurt by the restraints of the DQ sound systems.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
- Unfortunately, Uematsu only gets partial credit on FFX as a whole.

- DQ sound system? What? (compare symphonic performance against symphonic performance, then...)

djtiesto

dog$ said:
- Unfortunately, Uematsu only gets partial credit on FFX as a whole.

- DQ sound system? What? (compare symphonic performance against symphonic performance, then...)

The instrumentation and limits of the sound chips he's worked on... haven't heard any symphonic performances from the DQ games... the symphonic performances for the FF games are good but I'm so used to the synth based sound by now. Didn't Nobuo do most of the FFX soundtrack though?

Sugiyama obliterates all other classic composers for video game systems as far as I'm concerned. Symphonic and in-game.

I personally think Sugiyama has far more memorable, standout tracks. There's only maybe two FF tracks burned into my brain, meanwhile there are at least a dozen DQ ones.

epmode

djtiesto said:
Didn't Nobuo do most of the FFX soundtrack though?
no. he only had a handful of tracks, if i remember correctly. two other people worked on it.

umatsu has a nasty habit of sticking with shitty sound banks. this was even more painfully obvious when chrono cross was released (which did amazing things with the ps1's sound chip. it wasn't redbook,) i remember reading that he actually prefers a synthy sound, but it just doesn't complement his compositions, imo. ff6 for life.

and yes, the 7 disc symphonic suite is the best of its kind. worth every penny.

Tabris

Actually, most of the tracks on the FFX soundtrack are still Uematsu's. Check the OST again people.

He also did Final Fantasy XI too. The only one he didn't have a part in was FFX-2 (I believe).

Sugiyama was already a known composer before he was invited to help on Dragon Quest. Uematsu put out a CD, Phantasmagoria, after working on video games for many years (just after FF7). That said, Sugiyama music is very beautiful, but it sounds rather similar. Uematsu dabbles in many different styles and does some nice classical as well as great rock (The Black Mages is a wonderful CD). Both are quite talented, but both do very different work.

This is a stupid comparison as their styles are completely different. For what it's worth, Sugiyama is obviously a much more technically accomplished composer.

(compare symphonic performance against symphonic performance, then...)

No shit, since Uematsu isn't trained as an orchestral composer and has never orchestrated anything. What does that have to do with their game music though?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
After listening to the box set, it amazing how well some of them tracks in their original SNES form sound compared to their orchestrated counterparts. I mean, you could actually be tricked into thinking some of the tracks are using real instruments. He really utilized the SNES' sound system to the fullest.

djtiesto

isamu said:
After listening to the box set, it amazing how well some of them tracks in their original SNES form sound compared to their orchestrated counterparts. I mean, you could actually be tricked into thinking some of the tracks are using real instruments. He really utilized the SNES' sound system to the fullest.

I don't think you made it to Elfland/the Dressmakers Village in DQ5 then :D

Gattsu25

Banned
isamu said:
When I first bought and listened to these CDs, I had not played any of the DQ games so the music was just OK to me...nothing special.

I should be able to enjoy a song without having to pad it up with pleasant memories of the game it came from...music should be able to stand up on it's own

When you judged his music on its own merits, you found it to be average and nothing amazing. That's what it still is.

There are only a handful of game tunes I actually enjoy...almost none from RPGs

isamu

Gattsu25 said:
I should be able to enjoy a song without having to pad it up with pleasant memories of the game it came from...music should be able to stand up on it's own

When you judged his music on its own merits, you found it to be average and nothing amazing. That's what it still is.

There are only a handful of game tunes I actually enjoy...almost none from RPGs

I should have worded that post differently.

When I first heard the music from this 7 disc set, I thought they were good. But I didn't give them enough time to let them grow on me(especially given the fact that outside a few other game/anime OSTs, I hardly EVER listen to this kind of music). So I was impressed, just not blown away.

But while playing the games, the music took on a life of its own, and I slowly realized how great it sounds, even without playing the games. Hence, I listened to my 7 disc set again, and found a renewed pleasure from listening to it that I did not get upon my first couple listens.

isamu

I am dissapointed to discover that the boat sailing theme from the original DQ V appears to be NOWHERE to be found on any of the 7 discs.

I just watched a short IGN clip of DQ V Remix for the PS2 and it was from the opening scene with Papas and the hero on the ship, and song I'm looking for is playing.

The music and orchestration quality within the few short vids of DQ V Remix I have appear to sound even more fuller and richer than the orchestrated DQ V tracks on the 7 disc box set. It appears I will now be forced to buy the soundtrack to DQ V Remix because the orchestrated sailing theme on here sounds so beautiful. Can anyone tell me what the official name is for the DQ V Remix soundtrack? I did a google search and came up with "Dragon Quest V Symphonic Suite ~ Heaven's Bride". Is this the one I should be looking for? Bebpbo???

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I love Uematsu, though I think he's peaked and is on a decline now.

Koichi Sugiyama, however, is a true genius and master of his craft.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I recently acquired the Symphonic Suite's of DQ after a long look around (I already had DQVI and VII) and not only is his arrangement amazing, but it is also staggering when you hear the sound-chip version to the full-blown orchestra or brass section.

The problem with all of these orchestral versions and the like within Final Fantasy, is that most if not all of them are arranged by a different person other than Uematsu. I like Uematsu's sound-chip versions a bit more than Sugiyama's.. but when it comes to a full orchestra, Sugiyama shits everything out of the water.

The only one he didn't have a part in was FFX-2 (I believe).

He didn't have any part in FF Tactics, FF Mystic Quest or FF Crystal Chronicles either.

I mean, you could actually be tricked into thinking some of the tracks are using real instruments. He really utilized the SNES' sound system to the fullest.

If I remember correctly, in charge of DQ6's sound design was none other than Hitoshi Sakimoto of FFT/Vagrant/BOF5/Radiant Silvergun etc fame. He probably deserves most of the credit here.

isamu

Has Bebpbo been banned or something?

Do A_N_Y of you own the soundtrack to the Dragon Quest V Remix game for PS2? If so, what is it called?

And why are a few of the themes/tunes from the original DQ V missing on the Symphonic Suite 7 Disc Box set, such as the boat sailing theme????

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Link? I sure haven't seen it.

I also can't verify that Sakimoto had any involvement with DQ6... I don't want to beat the game again to find out ;_;

fugimax

I love Uematsu, though I think he's peaked and is on a decline now.

Apparently you weren't at the FF: Dear Friends concert. Uematsu is as popular as ever, and his music kicks total ass orchestrated. (One-Winged Angel w/full choir...mmm).

Not to be a pussy, but I teared up at least once at that concert. To hear it live was just unreal. A recording (if ever released) will not do the concert justice.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I wasn't, I'm still waiting for the CD release.

FF Orchestras are hot, but didn't they play mostly classic stuff there? That would be, in my opinion, before his decline.

His recent stuff has, by comparison, sucked, imho. Not that there's been much of it. Another symptom. I think he's burnt out.

Top Bottom