• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home Theatre Audio: I'm willing to spend but don't know how to do it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

torontoml

Ok so I've decided I want a very good to excellent audio setup for a home theatre and am willing to spend money. I just don't know how to go about it. I need speakers that don't require being hung on walls, only real requirement.

Is the Dolby Atmos stuff worth it? And what do I buy for it.

So are there any step by step purchase guides to get this done? I currently have no reciever or speakers other than a Yamaha sound bar/sub that won't be of any use.

Pastry

Banned
My problem with my home theater is that it looks like shit. Wires everywhere and junk :/ I feel like I'd need to spend serious money to get someone else to install it so it doesn't look like ass.

torontoml

My problem with my home theater is that it looks like shit. Wires everywhere and junk :/ I feel like I'd need to spend serious money to get someone else to install it so it doesn't look like ass.

Just to go with this, I don't care about looks and wires currently. I'm renting a basement and can't tear apart walls or anything I just want to know what to buy.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to say you want a nice surround sound setup and that you have a budget of $150.

Then we tell you thats not enough and to save up and buy separates.

You ignore our advice and buy a soundbar.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just general advice but I'd be looking at receivers in the $800-1600 range. Your best bets are Pioneer, Denon and Marantz. They have cheaper products but those aren't the models you should be looking at. I'm indifferent to Yamahas and I'd avoid Sony and Onkyo. The upper middle range from Pioneer, Denon and Marantz sound exquisite after you run their respective room correction/calibration modes and will have most if not all of the newest bells and whistles.

As for speakers there are boat loads of reputable brands out there that sound great. At your budget I'd probably be looking at products from Klipsch or maybe the entry level Definitive Techs. Internet direct companies like SVS and Aperion make solid stuff too, but it makes test driving them more difficult.Head to a dealership and demo some stuff. Don't cheap out and you'll be enjoying your speakers for decades to come. Speakers don't really age if they're treated well.

Start with what you want. 5.1 or 7.1 or two subwoofers.

From there, you'll want a receiver that supports it plus whatever your tv setup is. Like if you have a 4K tv, it needs to support 4K pass through and 4:4:4 or whatever that shit is called.

Then you want to calculate where your tv is in the room and how big the room is. From there, you'll get a better idea of where you want to place your speakers. Decide if you want them in wall or something with a fancy stand.

I would say figure out the layout first and then move to quality of speaker which other more intelligent people on this forum can educate you on.

Sorry for the quick and dirty answer but i have svs ultra subs and ultra speakers and what I've got rivals the movie theater experience pretty easily but at a higher budget than you mentioned. That's why i suggest their prime line. But we need more info tbh if we're going to really help you.

Obviously there are more brands to choose from, i just like svs for their quality, performance, customer service, warranty etc.

All around great, award winning company. The president will happily email you if you ask him a question about aby of their products.

They have a 45 day money back in home trial and they pay the return shipping if you don't like them. Literally can't lose by giving them a try.

torontoml

Sorry for the quick and dirty answer but i have svs ultra subs and ultra speakers and what I've got rivals the movie theater experience pretty easily but at a higher budget than you mentioned. That's why i suggest their prime line. But we need more info tbh if we're going to really help you.

Obviously there are more brands to choose from, i just like svs for their quality, performance, customer service, warranty etc.

All around great, award winning company. The president will happily email you if you ask him a question about aby of their products.

They have a 45 day money back in home trial and they pay the return shipping if you don't like them. Literally can't lose by giving them a try.

What other info do you need? I'm using a tv, currently only 1080p but will eventually move on to 4k.

Room size? Its kinda oddly shaped, but I would like a system that would be versatile as my current living situation is not life permanent.

What other info do you need? I'm using a tv, currently only 1080p but will eventually move on to 4k.

Room size? Its kinda oddly shaped, but I would like a system that would be versatile as my current living situation is not life permanent.

Pm'd you. That helps somewhat. Room size is important but the set i messaged you can fill a large room. If you want versatility to run 4k thats important with choosing a receiver. Will you stick with your tv or do you want large screen projection? With your budget i think you could fit a 1080p projector and 100 inch screen in.

torontoml

Pm'd you. That helps somewhat. Room size is important but the set i messaged you can fill a large room. If you want versatility to run 4k thats important with choosing a receiver. Will you stick with your tv or do you want large screen projection? With your budget i think you could fit a 1080p projector and 100 inch screen in.

First, I didn't get a PM.

I'll probably be sticking with a television for awhile, until I own my own home which is likely a few years away. The budget is just for the audio and receiver.

Dead

well not really...yet
For $5K, find a local audio dealer with a showroom and invest in a really good pair of tower fronts and a great amp, then build the rest down the line.

otapnam

With black Friday coming up it's perfect timing op. I got my beginner setup last year for about 500$ Yamaha rv379 + pioneer Andrew Jones 3.1 speaker setup. (Thewirecutter.com 's top rated budget speakers)

If you use Amazon.com , camelcamelcamel.com is a great site to track prices and see historic lows for products sold on Zon.

Good luck and enjoy!

BHK3

Banned
I'll just ask here, how important is the center channel? I found a '96 bose center channel speaker left outside the other that seems to work fine, no real audio problems aside from it being pretty quiet so I had to really boost it. Would it be worth to get a modern one?

OP I would say the purchase you should do most research on is your receiver, it has to support 4:4:4, dolby vision/HDR10, 4k, 7.2, zone 1 or 2 etc. If you really want to be up to date.

For $5K, find a local audio dealer with a showroom and invest in a really good pair of tower fronts and a great amp, then build the rest down the line.
Eh... $5K is a great budget to get a decent 3.1 or even a 5.1 setup. Nonetheless, I agree that the best thing for the OP to do is to find a local high end audio dealer with a showroom. Trial out the different speakers and get what sounds best to you.

Tip: Don't cheap out on the sub.

torontoml

Ok, I know audio can cost a lot, but what would I be looking at to finish the surround setup.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok, I know audio can cost a lot, but what would I be looking at to finish the surround setup.

Traditional setup would be

5.1 - AVR, 3 Fronts, 2 rears + sub

or

7.1 - AVR, 3 Fronts, 2 mids, 2 rears + sub

Depending on what room you are using, what your wiring options are, you can go nuts and expand into atmos, like:

5.2.4, AVR, 3 fronts, 2 rear, 4 ceiling speakers, 2 subs.

There are a lot of combos and lots of ways to expand. Thats why I think starting out with a really good foundation (2 towers and amp, preferably seperate Amp and pre-amp/processor for future expandibility, rather than simply throwing all your money at a 5.1 setup out the gates) is the way to go.

torontoml

Possibly a double post, but it seems like I should take a drive down to Edmonton and visit an audio dealer in person and go from there.

^^^ Thanks, yeah I think my next days off I'll take a trip down Edmonton and begin a high quailty build

First, I didn't get a PM.

I'll probably be sticking with a television for awhile, until I own my own home which is likely a few years away. The budget is just for the audio and receiver.

Sent again. If for some reason it still doesn't come through ill post it here.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

People are always so much more liberal spending other people's money.

You're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to say you want a nice surround sound setup and that you have a budget of $150.

Then we tell you thats not enough and to save up and buy separates.

You ignore our advice and buy a soundbar.
He already has a soundbar so you can cut that step out of the process.

Just to go with this, I don't care about looks and wires currently. I'm renting a basement and can't tear apart walls or anything I just want to know what to buy.
Eh will the house owner complain about the noise?

edit: buying used will save you a lot, so try looking around canuckaudiomart.

jrcbandit

Go to svsound.com and buy a prime bundle. Then grab a denon or onkyo receiver with what's left. Easy.

Not a bad idea. In addition to the prime 5 speaker or 7 speaker package, get one of their subs they are fantastic (a friend's demo at his place convinced me to go get my own)!! The SVS PB-2000 or PC-2000.

You can also save ~$80 (or more during a sale) if you buy from the Outlet store and make sure the unit you are picking has 0 damage/blemishes (basically it was returned during a free 45 day trial). I got a PC-2000 for $80 off that way and it comes with the same 5 year warranty. Just make sure you read the description carefully to see if any blemishes or repairs and they will show pics of it. I think during a sales special, they will have more variety in stock for the Outlet store, all the speakers in there now seem to have some sort of small blemish (although if the blemish is in the rear or bottom it wont matter).

Whatever you do, keep in mind a receiver will eventually need replacement as new sound and video stuff comes out, (think having a 1080p receiver and needing to upgrade to a 4K one, that will happen in the future with current 4K-atmos-neural x or what have you ones) while speaker sets can last you for years and years and YEARS. So basically, get the best, highest quality speakers you can afford and allocate only the necessary money towards the receiver.

Check out svsound like i said before. They have a prime tower package i would highly recommend. And you can pair it with their pb2000 subwoofer. This would get you 5.1. If you have room for 7.1 just get the 7.1 bundle and you're under 2500. Go for dual subwoofers and with a reciever you're still just under 5,000. You don't have to spend an exorbitant amount to get great audio. With that package people will believe you spent a fortune anyway.

Edit: basically listen to jrcbandit

golem

SVS is pretty solid for the money and their return policy lets you demo at home. Since youre canadian try to demo a Paradigm system too, good stuff. Otherwise there are about a bazillion high end audio makers out there that have really good products, all down to personal preference.

Include the center speaker with that $5K. Don't cheap out on the center speaker. The surround speakers are not as important. I have a 7.2 setup with 4 Cambridge audio mini speakers as my surround and height speakers. Great value for the price. You can find them at Visions online (Canadian company).

Link to the mini speakers: http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=368&productId=28516&sku=MIN12BLACK

EDIT 2: I have 2 subs as well. I saved up quite a bit for my setup. My total cost was about $3.5K. But stay away from Polk Audio subs. I had to replace both of my subs amps after 2 years. They were under warranty thankfully.

Dolby Atmos is great if you have the room for it. Are you in an enclosed room or open concept room?

mm04

Spend most of your budget on speakers. That should be priority one. Good speakers will last you for years. Electronics will cost half as much the following year because new AVR models come out every year. You will replace your electronics way before you do your speakers, unless you catch upgrade fever. Then you're pretty much down the rabbit hole at that point.

What do you currently use as a display? Is it 4k/HDR? If it's not, are you also planning to upgrade that?

Second, are you a big movie buff? Do you either currently have, or are willing to get UHD blu-ray's?

Here's my thinking:
If you are big into movies, and do have a 4k HDR display and either have, or willing to get UHD discs, then yes, Atmos will be awesome if you can get it within budget. If you're truly willing to spend, get dedicated speakers and a decent receiver.

If you are big into movies, have a 4k HDR display, but will not get physical discs, then be wary of Atmos since it is super rare to find Atmos via streaming. Just get 5.1/7.1 surround sound.

If you are big into movies, but do not have a 4k HDR display, Atmos will still be amazing as a way to slightly future proof your audio setup. However, in my opinion it would be hard justifying paying the extra money for the UHD discs purely for audio improvements alone. At the very least, if you do decide on Atmos, start thinking about getting an upgraded display at some point. In my opinion, I would get good audio now since that seems important and then save up to get a good display. Good speakers will last you a while and you can spend a year waiting for more mature HDR displays to release.

Finally, if you are NOT big into movies and really only care about games, just stick with a good surround sound for now.

Remember you can always upgrade your setup and it's a lot easier for audio. If you get great speakers now but only enough for a 5.1 setup, then later on you can always add additional speakers and a new receiver to get an Atmos setup.

SVS is pretty solid for the money and their return policy lets you demo at home. Since youre canadian try to demo a Paradigm system too, good stuff. Otherwise there are about a bazillion high end audio makers out there that have really good products, all down to personal preference.

Yes. Good suggestion. Paradigm is a Canadian high end speaker manufacturer. And they make excellent speakers. OP... find a local Paradigm dealer.

torontoml

Yes. Good suggestion. Paradigm is a Canadian high end speaker manufacturer. And they make excellent speakers. OP... find a local Paradigm dealer.

So how do the Paradigm and SVS stuff compare? Price wise the SVS Prime seems to be similar to the Paradigm's Classic line up, would that be right?

I've got a major overhaul in progress. Got a Vizio P55 earlier this year. Today I got an Xbox S for 4k disk playback. I've got a Denon AVR-S910W arriving next week. A couple weeks after that I'll be ordering new speakers. Should be all done with my upgrades by the end of October.

I'd prefer to have a more legitimate 4k player but I'm going to save that for down the road when prices have come down and there are more choices. I was going to get the Samsung but when the Target deal presented itself, I couldnt say no. Considering the cheap price I got it, after I sell my current xbox the cost will balance out to only 50 bucks. Beats 300.

All in all my upgrade will finish just below $2000

torontoml

What do you currently use as a display? Is it 4k/HDR? If it's not, are you also planning to upgrade that?

Second, are you a big movie buff? Do you either currently have, or are willing to get UHD blu-ray's?

Currently a Sony W900A from a couple years ago. I do plan on upgrading eventually but I still find it an excellent TV and am going to focus on the audio first.

And I do watch a lot of movies, and have a more than average blu-ray collection currently. I kinda want to buy UHD copies but it kinda seems like a waste at the moment without the TV to go with them.

muu

SVS is pretty good stuff. Had their bookshelf speakers ~5yrs ago before I moved on to something a little better.

If you're a bit tight on budget I'd still recommend stretching for the higher tier models but get L/R/Center and buy satellites later.

torontoml

OK so I picked up some paradigm speakers, Fronts, Center and a 12" sub. All hooked up to a Marantz 5011 receiver.

I think I'm having an issue though, when playing any media nothing is coming through the sub.

When I go through the setup test tones the sub works fine but when watching a Blu-ray, Netflix or music nothing comes through it. Does anyone know why that might be?

seanoff

OK so I picked up some paradigm speakers, Fronts, Center and a 12" sub. All hooked up to a Marantz 5011 receiver.

I think I'm having an issue though, when playing any media nothing is coming through the sub.

When I go through the setup test tones the sub works fine but when watching a Blu-ray, Netflix or music nothing comes through it. Does anyone know why that might be?

Have you set the subwoofer presence to yes in speaker assignment?

The test might play every output with the speaker being assigned.

Also check volume to the subwoofer in setup.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just buy auto amplified loudspeakers and some kind of box to route all inputs through it. Boom, done.

Passive loudspeakers are antiquated bullshit whos only existence is for tweakos so that they might buy a new amp every year.

CS_Dan

Prioritise buying a great amp, new. Unlike speakers, amps get outdated in features fairly quick.

A great speaker from ten years ago is likely still a great speaker today. Don't be afraid of checking Gumtree/Craigslist - I've gotten some Wharfedales for super cheap by doing that.

EDIT: Should have read the recent posts. Ignore me :)

Unicorn

So I've decided I'm going the thrift store route to get 5.1 set up. I have some speakers I've had for years that I used with a record player tape deck I got at the time. The 2 speakers each have a single component cable (plugged into left and into right - white and red ports) that worked with that tape deck. I've picked up a receiver from goodwill and I'm having an issue that I think I know the answer to, but I'm still confused.

So the speakers I think are from the 70s or 80s given their wood paneling and floor style aesthetic. The receiver is a late 90s receiver. Receiver had a section for video with an a/v IN and a/v OUT. I plug a red and white cable from audio OUT in my TV to receiver IN and connect the 2 speakers to the receiver OUT... But get no audio. I plug speakers directly into the same port in TV and get low audio, so I know I have the right line from my TV to receiver.

My issue is this: the only way I seem to be able to get audio out of the receiver is if I use raw wires (+/-) and insert into the clamps. What is that video a/v OUT port for if I can't even just get basic left/right stereo audio out of it? It only supports speakers that are inserted into the raw wire clamps?

Receiver is Sony STR-DE445

Mohonky

Id buy a stand alone receiver and amp seperate personally.

Receivers go out of date with changing connection and feature standards, an amp is an amp and having it seperate means it has its own decent power supply to draw on.

Speakers get the best you can.

Dont need to spend a lot of surround or rear speakers, they are just effects channels, the front three are you work horses.

Good sub is nice too, fills in the bottom end, cheap shitty subs end up dominating the sound with wobbly bloated overhangs so getting a good one usually takes the priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom