• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homophobia in sport: Most fans 'would welcome gay players' - BBC survey (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Most sports fans in England, Wales and Scotland say they would be comfortable with their club signing a gay player, according to a BBC Radio 5 live survey.

It found 82% of supporters would have no issue with a gay player.

However, 8% of football fans said they would stop watching their team.

Last week, Football Association chairman Greg Clarke told MPs he was "cautious" of encouraging a player to come out because they may suffer "significant abuse" from fans.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live on Wednesday, Clarke said he stood by his "personal view" that "vile abuse" from a "small minority on the terraces" must be solved before any gay footballers "take that risk" to come out.

"If they want to take that risk I would respect them and support them," said Clarke. "But we can't promise to provide them at the moment with the required protection. We need to redouble our efforts to provide that safe space."

Clarke added that he hoped to achieve that in a "year or two".

In an online survey of more than 4,000 people commissioned by Afternoon Edition and carried out by ComRes, 71% of football fans said clubs should do more to educate fans about homophobia.

And 47% of all sports fans - 50% of football supporters - say they have heard homophobic abuse at matches.

Former Premier League striker Chris Sutton told Afternoon Edition that Clarke had "taken the easy way out" by being "dictated to by 8% of cavemen".

Sutton, who played for Norwich, Blackburn, Chelsea and Celtic, said: "Coming out wouldn't be a problem in the workplace. Working at a football club is just like anywhere else. Players I played with wouldn't bat an eyelid.

"This 8% shouldn't be allowed in football grounds. By not taking it on, the 8% are the winners in all of this. Greg Clarke should be taking these people on.

"It's bonkers in our society that people like this can dictate whether someone can come out or not."

The survey of fans of 11 different sports also found:

More sports fans (12%) would feel uncomfortable with a rival player joining their club than a gay player (8%)

7% of sports fans would stop watching their team if they signed a gay player

57% of sports fans believe gay players should come out to help others do the same

18% of sports fans believe gay players should "keep it to themselves"

15% of sports fans think having a gay player on a team would make other team-mates feel uncomfortable

50% of football fans say they have heard homophobic abuse, 51% have heard sexist abuse and 59% have heard racist abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/37760114

Sigh :(

Nere

I really don't understand why fans care about the sexuality of the players. Do they watch them for their football skills or what they do in their bed? Some people are really weird.

I agree with Chris Sutton, in that we shouldn't pander to the 8%.

However, "Players I played with wouldn't bat an eyelid."

I'm going to call you out on this. Graeme Le Saux famously got abuse during his time at Chelsea (Sutton was also there briefly) and he wasn't even gay. I would like to think attitudes towards gay people has improved since the nineties.

DedValve

Banned
I really don't understand why fans care about the sexuality of the players. Do they watch them for their football skills or what they do in their bed? Some people are really weird.

Thing about bigotry and hatred is that it makes no sense. It can't really or else then you'd have to judge a person by their skill and character and that requires empathy.

This shouldn't have anything to do with sports but if bigots hate gay people more than they love sports that they'd be willing to drop it...thats not a bad thing I'd think. Less shitty people watching sports and those are usually the same type of people that treat it like a cult.

These are people that hate if gay people that they have never met in their life and will never meet in their life get married.

They're homophobes, really. There's not much else to it. These stats are much better than i would have guessed myself, pleasantly surprised.

Matty77

Sucks that people can't get over this. As an American I am mostly into American football and Basketball( only care about hockey and baseball as far as my teams) but I really don't care about players sexuality.

In fact if they bring championships to my region I not only do not care who they sleep with I encourage them to get all they can get with whoever they want as long as its consenting adults.

shira

Most sports fans in England, Wales and Scotland say they would be comfortable with their club signing a gay player, according to a BBC Radio 5 live survey.

In an online survey of more than 4,000 people commissioned by Afternoon Edition and carried out by ComRes, 71% of football fans said clubs should do more to educate fans about homophobia.

So 4000 people in an online poll = most fans in England, Wales, Scotland

Read what you are posting.

You need to learn what polls are.

apologies, I am wrong

I don't think fans really do care about it. I think if someone came out there would be a brief flurry of dickheads shouting terrible jokes and maybe the odd chant before they were told to pack it in by everyone else and that would be that. Easy for me to say though. The last openly gay footballer in England did not have a good time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Fashanu but I can't recall if he actually got much abuse from the fans. Robbie Rogers had to fake retirement to get out of the country before he came out.

Daemul

People being comfortable with signing gay players isn't the problem, it's the fact that fans, whether they support gay players or not, are not above chanting insulting things to players in order to wind them up and put them off their game. Any player who comes out as gay is going to get hammered with insulting chants from rival fans, moreso if they're a top player.

Look at Ronaldo ffs, the dude isn't even gay but because he takes care of himself people think he is, and thus he gets homophobic chants directed his way.

So 4000 people in an online poll = most fans in England, Wales, Scotland

Read what you are posting.

4000 is quite a big sample size and can be very representative of the overall figures.

It also wasn't just a simple online poll. Comres are a market research company, they don't fuck about. Here's the full results split into each sport, per region and other demographics: http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ComRes_Homophobia-in-Sports_Tables.pdf

Seemingly from the stats, Basketball & Netball have the least accepting fans, Tennis seems to be the most.

People being comfortable with signing gay players isn't the problem, it's the fact that fans, whether they support gay players or not, are not above chanting insulting things to players in order to wind them up and put them off their game. Any player who comes out as gay is going to get hammered with insulting chants from rival fans.

I was going to say that you don't hear much racism these days but then I remembered about Chelsea fans hissing at Spurs and Spurs singing those songs about Sol Campbell and Adebayor.

Daemul

I was going to say that you don't hear much racism these days but then I remembered about Chelsea fans hissing at Spurs and Spurs singing those songs about Sol Campbell and Adebayor.

Yep, a lot of racist chanting still goes on today, but it isn't covered as much in the media unless it's really widespread throughout the stadium.

shira

4000 is quite a big sample size and can be very representative of the overall figures.

It also wasn't just a simple online poll. Comres are a market research company, they don't fuck about. Here's the full results split into each sport, per region and other demographics: http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ComRes_Homophobia-in-Sports_Tables.pdf

Seemingly from the stats, Basketball & Netball have the least accepting fans, Tennis seems to be the most.

ok that seems quite thorough

oti

Banned

Mh, is there an openly gay tennis player? Only one I know is Mauresmo and as far as I know her sexuality was never a problem. I do remember the hate she got after Murray announced she was his new trainer though. Because she was a woman. That was disappointing.

People being comfortable with signing gay players isn't the problem, it's the fact that fans, whether they support gay players or not, are not above chanting insulting things to players in order to wind them up and put them off their game. Any player who comes out as gay is going to get hammered with insulting chants from rival fans, moreso if they're a top player.

Look at Ronaldo ffs, the dude isn't even gay but because he takes care of himself people think he is, and thus he gets homophobic chants directed his way.

To bring it to a North American perspective, PK Subban is a black player playing a primarily white sport (Hockey) and the unified slur chants directed his way were/are absolutely disgusting and sickening.

I can't imagine people won't be chanting "faggot" at a gay player the moment he makes a mistake or is on an opposing team.

While these numbers are nice, I find that they are likely also skewed because we don't have openly gay players, so people can trumpet love and support and tolerance but, I need to wait and see how gay players are treated when they are actually out and successful.

Michael Sam certainly wasn't treated well for his sexuality.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sports people (including football players) come out without issue here in Sweden. Nobody gives a shit. Or they get applauded for it. Sad that so many otherwise modern countries are so far behind on this.

(I'm sure there are a bunch of homophobes who don't like it here too, but fuck them. People in general don't give a damn.)

Are there any precendents? I know that Thomas Hitzelsperger is a gay soccer player, but I don't remember the reactions to his coming out or if it even was during his active time.

D i Z

People like to imprint themselves on their representatives in the sports world. It's where the local team becomes "our team". Where they become ours, and us a part of them. The more dashing, the better. The more tenacious, the better. A player that is confident, good looking, and easy to celebrate with is what sports fandom is to a lot of people.
Most people don't want to imprint this way onto someone with differing sexual values, as it makes them question their own, and their own place in "our team".
It's never a question of the players sexuality. Not really. It their own, like in many other cases of homophobia.

Ahasverus

Sports people (including football players) come out without issue here in Sweden. Nobody gives a shit. Or they get applauded for it. Sad that so many otherwise modern countries are so far behind on this.
Dude you live in Sweden, that's like, paradise on earth.

Replicant

Homophobia: irrational fear that (gay) men will treat you the way you've been treating women - like a piece of meat.

It's a reflection of your own awful behaviour towards women and the fear that others will display same kind of awful behaviour towards you instead.

Fluvian

Banned
I'm probably in the keep it to themselves percentage.

If they want to be open about it that's completely fine obviously.

I hate people who think it's gay celebrities responsibilities to be completely open about it, it's their god damn business.

.JayZii

Banned
What if they start trying to fuck the other players on the field? You have to think about these things.

I'm probably in the keep it to themselves percentage.

If they want to be open about it that's completely fine obviously.

I hate people who think it's gay celebrities responsibilities to be completely open about it, it's their god damn business.

"keep it to themselves" is essentially "do not come out". an openly gay footballer is an absolutely fantastic thing for young gay people.

Khaz

Maybe 8 years ago, before it deservedly got the nickname the "rape capital of the west". Their stats are actually shocking.

Pretty sure that's only because Swedish women are more empowered and more likely to speak up, whereas women in other countries would rather hide than face potential shaming.

Fluvian

Banned
"keep it to themselves" is essentially "do not come out". an openly gay footballer is an absolutely fantastic thing for young gay people.

There are going to be lot's of athletes, actors, celebrities who will come out more and more as we keep progressing as a society. It doesn't need to be forced on anyone to be a spokesperson for gayness.

This is why I loved Morrissey so much when I was a kid because he was so obviously gay (reel around the fountain) yet he never felt the need to make a deal out of it, even when he wrote his book where he finally admitted he liked men it wasn't a big deal and I honestly related to that way more than any out and proud person at the time.

EDIT: Yes a gay footballer would probably do a lot to further the cause (well a good one, nobody will care if the striker for Scunthorpe united is gay) but again it shouldn't be forced on anyone, even if their out it's not their job to be a role model.

Maybe 8 years ago, before it deservedly got the nickname the "rape capital of the west". Their stats are actually shocking.

According to these rape statistics, India has one of the lowest rates with around 5000 recorded rapes per year for the entire country. These are not to be wholeheartedly trusted.

Fluvian

Banned
According to these rape statistics, India has one of the lowest rates with around 5000 recorded rapes per year for the entire country. These are not to be wholeheartedly trusted.

India isn't a first world country with agencies to collect information like that well. Getting statistic like that from a country like India is not even remotely like getting them from England, Sweden or Germany.
EDIT: I'm actually kinda shocked that the two people who have responded to that so far are trying to downplay the rape epidemic going on in Sweden like it's not actually happening. Great going gaf.
EDIT 2: Fuck this shit go back to the topic

There are going to be lot's of athletes, actors, celebrities who will come out more and more as we keep progressing as a society. It doesn't need to be forced on anyone to be a spokesperson for gayness.

This is why I loved Morrissey so much when I was a kid because he was so obviously gay (reel around the fountain) yet he never felt the need to make a deal out of it, even when he wrote his book where he finally admitted he liked men it wasn't a big deal and I honestly related to that way more than any out and proud person at the time.

EDIT: Yes a gay footballer would probably do a lot to further the cause (well a good one, nobody will care if the striker for Scunthorpe united is gay) but again it shouldn't be forced on anyone, even if their out it's not their job to be a role model.
The only thing forcing anything is you agreeing that they should keep it to themselves.

Fluvian

Banned
The only thing forcing anything is you agreeing that they should keep it to themselves.

I'm agreeing with what they want, it should be on a case by case basis, it shouldn't be either their all out or they all keep it to themselves, I only put myself in the catagory because it was closer to my own personal beliefs about my own sexuality.

If they want to be out fine, if they want to be more discrete about it like say myself then all the power to them, I don't see how supporting what a gay individual would want to do forces them to do anything, it just supports them in whatever they choose to do.

I'm from England and those are better numbers than I expected.

As recent democratic votes have shown is that a big percentage of the UK has ideologies that are similar to the right wing politic ideals of America.

However, the people of the UK have had many many extremely popular outwardly gay or bi celebrities and that has changed the way in which the majority view gay people.

For singers we have:
Freddie Mercury
Boy George
Elton John
George Michael
Erasure
[Edit] Pet Shop Boys
And even David Bowie marketed himself as bisexual and was gender fluid for a time.

All of which were extremely popular.

And whilst singers probably have had the biggest impact on people growing up, because music is so important to so many. There are still so many more high profile celebs at the top of their game that are gay.

Steven Fry
Graham Norton
Ian McKellen

Just off the top of my head.

It's worth noting that all of these people are loved by UK residents, have reached the very top of stardom and have shaped the thought processes of many growing up youngsters from the UK.

Soccer fans have as well proven that they can be the most stupid of folk. Soccer violence is still a thing, so a percentage of self-identifying Soccer fans will be arseholes and that is why it is difficult for Gay players. If it was anything other than Soccer then it wouldn't be a problem.

slider

From a quick glance at the OP I have to say I'm pleased at how high some of the returns are. Obviously there's more work to be done.

Maybe it's somewhere but (based on that quick glance) it's the reception an openly gay player would get from opposing fans that's gotta be a primary concern.

I'm agreeing with what they want, it should be on a case by case basis, it shouldn't be either their all out or they all keep it to themselves, I only put myself in the catagory because it was closer to my own personal beliefs about my own sexuality.

If they want to be out fine, if they want to be more discrete about it like say myself then all the power to them, I don't see how supporting what a gay individual would want to do forces them to do anything, it just supports them in whatever they choose to do.

18% of sports fans believe gay players should "keep it to themselves"
That is not allowing someone to choose to decide their own path. That is forcing people to stay closeted. The key word in that statement is "should".

Fluvian

Banned
That is not allowing someone to choose to decide their own path. That is forcing people to stay closeted. The key word in that statement is "should".

I JUST FUCKING SAI---Composed now. I just told you my basic belief on the subject is to take it on a case by case basis and support the individual either way, because saying everyone should be out or everyone should be in isn't smart, how is that not exactly what you just said I'm not saying?

I JUST FUCKING SAI---Composed now. I just told you my basic belief on the subject is to take it on a case by case basis and support the individual either way, because saying everyone should be out or everyone should be in isn't smart, how is that not exactly what you just said I'm not saying?

I pointed out your initial statement was wrong, and agreeing with the 18% of people who wouldn't welcome gay players. You can "just fucking say" whatever you want, but you need to comprehend what you read better in future.

Fluvian

Banned
I pointed out your initial statement was wrong, and agreeing with the 18% of people who wouldn't welcome gay players. You can "just fucking say" whatever you want, but you need to comprehend what you read better in future.

Maybe you should prick up your eyes more and see that I already said I put myself in that catagory because it was closer to how I treat my own sexuality.

Stop talking about reading comprehension when you've now failed twice to recognise something I've already said.
edit: Wait a second i NEVER FUCKING said I agreed with the 18%, Right from the get go I said I was in the keep it to yourself group, don't pretend their the same thing their not
EDIT 2: No bloody nerve, you lie and say things I never said and then you run off, typical. Here a quick lesson in life buddy, a lot of us don't want to be out for no other reason than it's fucking hassle, some of us aren't interested in having everyone we run across know who we like to fuck, I imagine that's ten times worse as a celebrity. It is no one's fucking job to be out unless they want to be, end of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom