• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Republicans block Russia Sanctions Bill on Technicality

A bill that slaps new sanctions on Russia, and passed the Senate almost unanimously, has hit a major stumbling block in the House.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas) said the legislation has been flagged by the House parliamentarian as a "blue slip" violation, referring to the constitutional requirement that revenue bills originate in the House.

"The House obviously will act to preserve the Constitution. Or the Senate can take the bill back, make the updates to it, and bring it back and move forward from that direction," Brady told reporters on Tuesday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/338673-house-republican-stalls-russia-sanctions-bill

Well if you needed any more evidence that the GOP has fallen to Russian influence, here you go!

Althane

Eh, this might actually just be more House/Senate bickering and making sure that the House doesn't lose power to the Senate.

But man, has any Republican ever read anything about optics?

They don't want their names on record voting against this, so if they can kill it like this it's going to be a big sigh of relief for them.

Because one way or another they're going to kill it in the house.

They don't want their names on record voting against this, so if they can kill it like this it's going to be a big sigh of relief for them.

Because one way or another they're going to kill it in the house.

Yup. The House doesn't give a shit about rules or the Constitution. This is just an avoidance tactic.

Then this was all a setup, and the republican senators voting for it means nothing.

Very doubtful. The bill passed 97-2 in the Senate. This wasn't just a GOP thing. What it comes down to is that the Senate is taking the Russia stuff seriously, and the House is not.

Zolo

Very doubtful. The bill passed 97-2 in the Senate. This wasn't just a GOP thing. What it comes down to is that the Senate is taking the Russia stuff seriously, and the House is not.

Considering how House Republicans only represent smaller areas, I can see how they'd be less concerned about national security issues.

Edit: Also that Trump has more fans & influence in the House.

Zubz

Banned
I'm assuming Tim Murphy voted for this so I'm calling regardless, but do we have a list of who voted for this to get a better idea of which House members are likely Russian-owned?

antonz

I'm assuming Tim Murphy voted for this so I'm calling regardless, but do we have a list of who voted for this to get a better idea of which House members are likely Russian-owned?

House was not even given a chance to vote. House Leadership blocked it on the grounds that it is not the role of the Senate to create bills dealing with revenue.

If the House was serious they could take the exact same bill word for word and make their own House Bill and pass it for sending to the Senate

Zolo

House was not even given a chance to vote. House Leadership blocked it on the grounds that it is not the role of the Senate to create bills dealing with revenue.

If the House was serious they could take the exact same bill word for word and make their own House Bill and pass it for sending to the Senate

This was an Iran sanctions bill with Russian sanctions amended, so I expect they'll submit their own version with the Russian sanctions taken out.

Zolo

Is this a genuine mistake or intentional?

Do you think they'd have done this if it didn't have Russian sanctions amended to it?

Considering how the healthcare bill turned out (along with Nunes & Paul Ryan's influence), I expect the House is much more pro-Trump than the Senate is.

Top Bottom