• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Apple Lost China to Two Unknown Local Smartphone Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Two years ago, Oppo and Vivo couldn’t crack the top five in China’s smartphone market. Now they outrank everyone after elbowing Apple aside, thanks to people like Cheng Xiaoning.

Cheng runs a thriving electronics store in the rural town of Miaoxia, tapping into her WeChat social media account to promote the brands that pay the biggest commission, and in her case that’s Oppo and Vivo. While such payments start at about 40 yuan ($6), they escalate for more expensive handsets and reach almost 200 yuan for Oppo’s high-end smartphones.

“That’s why I like to introduce the Oppo R9 Plus to potential customers,” she said. “Business has been perfect, actually never been better.”

Cheng and tens of thousands of like-minded boosters form the vanguard of the pair’s charge against Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. Working with the local stores that dominate sales in China’s far-flung provinces, Oppo and Vivo came out of nowhere to upend the industry order and squeeze out former local darling Xiaomi Corp. Their labels graced one out of every three smartphones sold within China in the third quarter, while the iPhone’s market share at 7 percent stood at its lowest in almost three years.

Oppo and Vivo trace their origins to reclusive billionaire Duan Yong Ping and employ similar strategies. That includes harnessing the spending power of rural customers away from top-tier cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. It’s where Apple’s vulnerable given the iPhone’s lofty price tag. They eschewed e-commerce to instead court the stores where three-quarters of smartphone sales take place. Apple has been more reluctant to relinquish the retail experience to local free-agents, who sometimes charge brands for in-store displays and posters.

“Oppo and Vivo are willing to share their profit with local sales. The reward was an extremely active and loyal nationwide sales network,” said Jin Di, an IDC analyst based in Beijing. While they declined to detail their subsidy program, she estimates the two were the top spenders in the past year. “They’re doing something different -- they do local marketing.”

China had for years driven Apple’s and Samsung’s growth. The U.S. company generated almost $59 billion of sales from the region in fiscal 2015, which was more than double the level just two years earlier. During that time its shares surged more than 60 percent. At its peak, Greater China yielded almost 30 percent of its revenue and Apple was neck-and-neck with Xiaomi for the mantle of market leader as users clamored for the larger iPhone 6 models. Even as the domestic economy began to sputter, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook spent a good chunk of an earnings call last year talking up the country’s promise, saying Apple’s investing there “for the decades ahead.”

Then the country’s slowdown and regulatory tangles took their toll. Authorities intervened, blocking iTunes Movies and iBooks, ending a period of near-unimpeded growth in the country. But perhaps most crucial was the ascendancy of cheaper but just-as-good local alternatives. Oppo and Vivo’s gains have come mainly at the expense of lower-tier names thus far, but if they climb further into the premium segment, the U.S. company will need an answer. Some think the 10th-anniversary iPhone due in 2017 could deliver.

“Apple needs to offer something cutting-edge to appeal to maturing Chinese smartphone users,” Counterpoint Research director Neil Shah writes. Oppo and Vivo can use the time until then to cement their positions, he said.

Together Oppo and Vivo shipped about 40 million smartphones in the third quarter, about 34 percent of devices sold in the world’s biggest market, according to IDC. In 2012, their combined share was about 2.5 percent. IPhone shipments plunged more than a third to 8.2 million during the period -- less than half of Vivo’s. Samsung, which once led the market, now settles for roughly 5 percent, according to Counterpoint.

As Apple has faltered in China, Cook has stepped up his courtship of decision-makers. He visited the country several times this year, unveiled plans for research centers in Beijing and Shenzhen, and invested $1 billion in Uber rival Didi Chuxing. Cook said on his last earnings call he remains confident of a return to growth this quarter.

Samsung declined to comment for this story, while Apple didn’t respond to requests for comment.

It’s unclear how Apple can reclaim lost ground in the interim. Previous attempts to drift down-market -- with the iPhone 5c and SE, for instance -- fizzled as local users shunned seemingly inferior devices.
Apple doesn’t run a vibrant online social community for users the way some of its local rivals do. And competing on price will jeopardize the industry’s fattest profit margins.

Oppo and Vivo pack high-end specs into a phone that sells for a fraction of its rival’s in China, where iPhone 7s start at 5,388 ($784). Consider the Oppo R9 plus: for 2,999 yuan, buyers get an aluminum body, 6-inch display, 16-megapixel camera and a battery that claims 19 hours of calls, photo and web browsing. Vivo’s high-end Xplay6, with a price tag of 4,498 yuan, also undercuts Apple.

“Both companies invested heavily in marketing,” said Nicole Peng, Asia Pacific research director at consultancy Canalys. Oppo and Vivo have a strong grip on the middle market for phones from $200 to $500, she said. “Their offline channel strategy paid off.”

The man who’s clobbering Apple started out low on the tech spectrum. Duan made his fortune selling DVD players, telephones and game consoles similar to Nintendo’s. Bubugao Communication Equipment Co. Ltd., the parent of Vivo, emerged from a restructuring in 1999 that split his company. The billionaire later teamed with long-time colleague Tony Chen and others to found what came to be known as Guangdong Oppo Electronics Co.

While Duan has kept a low profile since moving to the U.S. in 2001, he occasionally makes his way into the spotlight. In 2006, he bid a then-record $620,100 to have lunch with Warren Buffett. Oppo’s first smartphone came in 2011, when it unveiled a device with a BlackBerry-like keyboard. The same year, Bubugao created the business that would become Vivo.

Today, Vivo touts its cameras and Oppo focuses on rapid-charging and battery life. But their offline strategies remain the same: mobilizing tens of thousands of private shop owners. Oppo said it sells its products through roughly 240,000 privately owned stores as of June -- six times the global count of McDonald’s. Vivo manages about half that, said Jin. Oppo, which doesn’t disclose sales figures, said about 90 percent of its phones were sold offline.

While Xiaomi shot to international prominence with flash online promotions, that success has been concentrated in densely packed cities. That doesn’t work so well in the countryside, where novice buyers want advice and demonstrations. By cultivating a physical network, Oppo and Vivo are building a platform difficult to replicate in the short run.

Sourse: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-china-to-two-unknown-local-smartphone-makers

Some say, the era of Apple in China is over.

Qvoth

read this earlier, i've never even heard of vivo
anyway apple's market is the high end market, kinda unfair to compare them

Izuna

Banned
It's not about the overall market share though, they still get a ton of revenue from the premium market. That'd be like saying how AU proprietary phones are eating up sales from iPhones in Japan.

People still don't know that outside of the US and maybe Japan, Apple is niche. Apple never "lost" China because they never "had" China to begin with.

And yes, the Chinese companies have been dominating their domestic markets for quite awhile now. None of this is new news in the Chinese mobile market. When Apple and Samsung are charging US/European prices for devices and the Chinese companies are charging Chinese prices, no one should be shocked that most Chinese consumers will not pay the massive premium for the brand name.

Weckum

People still don't know that outside of the US and maybe Japan, Apple is niche. Apple never "lost" China because they never "had" China to begin with.

And yes, the Chinese companies have been dominating their domestic markets for quite awhile now. None of this is new news in the Chinese mobile market. When Apple and Samsung are charging US/European prices for devices and the Chinese companies are charging Chinese prices, no one should be shocked that most Chinese consumers will not pay the massive premium for the brand name.

It's not in Europe.

That being said, apparently the Oppo phones are quite decent.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Xi DaDa putting in anti-"corruption" protocols for mid-level officials didn't help either.

Edit: Winnie the Pooh wants to keep the Chinese hands in the Chinese honeypot.

Xiaomi is like #4 or #5. They're notable for working at the high-end of the Chinese domestic market, which has earned them the nickname "The Apple of China" but it has also earned them a smaller market share. They make some nice devices, I would buy a Xiaomi phone if they ever made ones that worked with North American LTE bands. Which they probably won't.

mieumieu

Xiaomi is like #4 or #5. They're notable for working at the high-end of the Chinese domestic market, which has earned them the nickname "The Apple of China" but it has also earned them a smaller market share. They make some nice devices, I would buy a Xiaomi phone if they ever made ones that worked with North American LTE bands. Which they probably won't.

Xiaomi was not really in highend market until this year or so. They are better known for their cheap price (compared to Huawei, oppo and vivo) and MIUI.

aznpxdd

Is it? Always thought 1+ was a standalone company born from pretty much nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnePlus

OnePlus was founded on 16 December 2013 by former Oppo vice president Pete Lau (刘作虎) and Carl Pei.[3] According to the Chinese government's documentation, the only institutional stockholder in OnePlus is Oppo.[4] Although Lau initially denied that OnePlus was a wholly owned subsidiary of Oppo, upon release of the regulatory filings they admitted that they are owned by Oppo and are "in talks with other investors" (although nothing has been announced to date).[5]

Maximus.

What the fuck are you talking about hahaha. Apple isn't niche outside of the USA and maybe Japan. The iPhone is a well known and sought after product. It's a global brand and product.

ASIS

Apple is pretty huge in the Middle East.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Depends on what you call "niche". Apple is around 10-15% market share.

To that point, here are Kantar's latest numbers:

WvPMlZS.jpg

I'm not sure if I'd call it niche as far as smartphones go (Macs are definitely rare), but the iPhone is barely a mainstream option outside of the UK and maybe France.

Apple is pretty huge in the Middle East.

Apple's current quota in the Middle East is 13.3%. Android dominates.

People tend to think that their personal circles are a good representation of a broader market, which isn't always true. To that point, I know many journalists who can barely believe that the iPhone is so damn small in Spain because "everybody has one". No, it just happens that the iPhone is very popular in your particular trade. Eveybody else is rocking €150 to €400 Android phones.

numble

To that point, here are Kantar's latest numbers:

WvPMlZS.jpg

I'm not sure if I'd call it niche as far as smartphones go (Macs are definitely rare), but the iPhone is barely a mainstream option outside of the UK and maybe France.

Apple's current quota in the Middle East is 13.3%. Android dominates.

People tend to think that their personal circles are a good representation of a broader market, which isn't always true. To that point, I know many journalists who can barely believe that the iPhone is so damn small in Spain because "everybody has one". No, it just happens that the iPhone is very popular in your particular trade. Eveybody else is rocking €150 to €400 Android phones.
You are using sales shares to represent usage share. You should use different data, as iPhone sales are cyclical.

For instance, look at the jump in 4th quarter 2015 compared to 3rd quarter 2015 (shown as 29% sales share in the US):
kantar-q4-2015.jpg

Mario007

Xiaomi was not really in highend market until this year or so. They are better known for their cheap price (compared to Huawei, oppo and vivo) and MIUI.
Xioami started with high end phones for cheap prices. They they went further into the cheap territory with Hongmi and have concentrated on that more and more. They're getting back to the high end only now.

Still Xiaomi is basically the best buck for money for any phone you buy from them. Still, there's a prestige associated with their phones and OS which makes them closer to Apple than you'd think.

Note 2.

Donos

Wiko, Huawei and ZTE are getting more and more prominent space in MediaMarkt and Saturn (two biggest electronic retailers) here in Berlin. Never heard of Wiko before till i read an article about them a month ago. If you are not tied to brands, you can really get decent phones for little money.

Their high end phones are also nothing to laugh at anymore. Oneplus 3 specs for 399€ are a serious offer.

I went with a Chinese phone earlier this year, the Elephone P9000, and I couldn't be happier with what I got for $200. It's simply miles better than the Xperia I had previously, which worked out to something like $800 at the culmination of financing, and it even received significant manufacturer updates every month (up until this last month).

I've somehow never heard of the two Chinese makers listed in the OP, but I don't see myself going back to Western/Japanese makers, so I'll keep an eye out. Chinese manufacturers, at least in the smartphone market, have my complete confidence.

Is it? Always thought 1+ was a standalone company born from pretty much nothing.

It's an Oppo subbrand, but operate in the Xiaomi online only model, instead of the Oppo B&M model.

When I tried to buy a Xiaomi scale in China 2 years ago, I had to go to a 17th floor of a building to get it. This was Guangzhou, the 3rd largest city. Xiaoami doesn't have any physical presence. If you are not young, you probably won't be using a Xiaomi phone.

You are using sales shares to represent usage share. You should use different data, as iPhone sales are cyclical.

For instance, look at the jump in 4th quarter 2015 compared to 3rd quarter 2015 (shown as 29% sales share in the US):
kantar-q4-2015.jpg

Apple user base is higher than Android in Japan? God damn.

Tim Cook should be doing events in Japan.

Also UK has some hardcore Windows Mobile fans.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Also UK has some hardcore Windows Mobile fans.

Nah, Tesco Mobile did a huge firesale of pre-rebrand Nokia Lumias a couple of years back. £130 for a Lumia 800 unlocked, no contract with further money off if you spend x amount on groceries for example. Those figures would be those phones still in circulation.

I believe it-Oppo (and to an extent Vivo) must have at least a thousand stores and store partnerships here in Manila alone. I swear they have a higher presence in the local stores than even Samsung, which is everywhere.

I'm an iPhone user but currently looking for a cheaper Android as a backup and have been drawn to Oppo. Specs look decent on paper, but anybody know how they actually perform? My concern is that they come with an of Android-based OS called ColorOS.

Marketshare != Market Success

Android is everywhere because that's how it works. Anybody can get on the boat, and in China where IP protection is loose and manufacturing is next door, it's the perfect formula for making a equal spec phone. Oppo and Vivo can attack Samsung and Motorola directly and win.

This is neither new to Apple or really anything to give a shit about. iPhone is not the value brand or the spec sheet. It's a prestige phone by design, which is why the chart that matters to them is Profitshare (random CNBC article claiming Apple has 91% of it).

So long as they have the prestige phone, it will still be wanted across China, owned by less than you think, and endlessly copied. Apple stays out of the specsheet war, they stay out of the price war, and when Oppo or whomever is killed by the next company up, Apple stays in command. As usual.

I believe it-Oppo (and to an extent Vivo) must have at least a thousand stores and store partnerships here in Manila alone. I swear they have a higher presence in the local stores than even Samsung, which is everywhere.

I'm an iPhone user but currently looking for a cheaper Android as a backup and have been drawn to Oppo. Specs look decent on paper, but anybody know how they actually perform? My concern is that they come with an of Android-based OS called ColorOS.
Vivo is slowly expanding as well. Just noticed last week when I on an ayala and sm mall that they got stalls already.

Busty

Banned
I went with a Chinese phone earlier this year, the Elephone P9000, and I couldn't be happier with what I got for $200. It's simply miles better than the Xperia I had previously, which worked out to something like $800 at the culmination of financing, and it even received significant manufacturer updates every month (up until this last month).

I was eyeing this phone just the other week but I've heard very differing things about it. Does it allow you to use the Google Play store?

These daily, sensational, half-true anti-Apple headlines are really ridiculous. I guess some people get excited by them? Apple hasn't "lost" anything. Apple does not even have phones that compete in the same price brackets as these, so it's an absurd comparison. They are likely still completely dominating when it comes to profits, just like they are in the US (ie. 91% of entire smartphone market). Yes, cheap Android phones will also sell in larger numbers, but not sure how that's relevant. Just like dirt cheap windows PCs didn't stop Apple from becoming the most successful company on the planet.

KonradLaw

These daily, sensational, half-true anti-Apple headlines are really ridiculous. I guess some people get excited by them? Apple hasn't "lost" anything. Apple does not even have phones that compete in the same price brackets as these, so it's an absurd comparison. They are likely still completely dominating when it comes to profits, just like they are in the US (ie. 91% of entire smartphone market). Yes, cheap Android phones will also sell in larger numbers, but not sure how that's relevant. Just like dirt cheap windows PCs didn't stop Apple from becoming the most successful company on the planet.

This might be true, but it's different market now. Before Apple didn't have to worry about low end phones, because they were crap. Now they're close to high-end ones, iPhones included. THis might not do much to their current profits, but it pretty much kills any real big growth Apple hoped to achieve in China. And there's no way Apple is happy about the level they're at now.

I was eyeing this phone just the other week but I've heard very differing things about it. Does it allow you to use the Google Play store?

Absolutely. I understand some Chinese devices don't work so well with the app store, etc., but using this particular phone has been dissimilar from using any domestic phone, only cheaper. The Chinese market moves quickly, though. There's probably something newer worth your attention at this point; Xiaomi just released a new batch of devices, for example.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I've somehow never heard of the two Chinese makers listed in the OP, but I don't see myself going back to Western/Japanese makers, so I'll keep an eye out. Chinese manufacturers, at least in the smartphone market, have my complete confidence.

Yeah I got the 4G Huawei Y5 II for 100 Euros to replace my busted Moto G and it actually turned out to be a better phone, does much better in games that's for certain. Probably the best price/quality ratio in a phone I've ever bought. Got a nice 720p screen as well

Garou

Marketshare != Market Success

Android is everywhere because that's how it works. Anybody can get on the boat, and in China where IP protection is loose and manufacturing is next door, it's the perfect formula for making a equal spec phone. Oppo and Vivo can attack Samsung and Motorola directly and win.

This is neither new to Apple or really anything to give a shit about. iPhone is not the value brand or the spec sheet. It's a prestige phone by design, which is why the chart that matters to them is Profitshare (random CNBC article claiming Apple has 91% of it).

So long as they have the prestige phone, it will still be wanted across China, owned by less than you think, and endlessly copied. Apple stays out of the specsheet war, they stay out of the price war, and when Oppo or whomever is killed by the next company up, Apple stays in command. As usual.

Apple may not rely on spec sheets to sell their products, but they damn well care about their specs, since the A-series chips dominate a lot of benchmarks.

Dude, of all the cheap Chinese phones, you picked the worst of them all. Elephone is trash.
Btw, it's Taiwanese.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I'm not sure niche is the right word. There is high demand for Apple phones in markets that Apple has low sales in. Price is a significant barrier. Take India, for instance. It's often cheaper for people from India to have friends or family members buy Apple devices in other countries and smuggle them back into the country than it is to buy them new. A lot of new and used Apple devices flow into India from Austrailia and the U.S. thst aren't accounted for in the sales numbers and market share figures.

I work with dozens of people each year who cycle through the U.S. on H1 and B1 visas and you would be amazed at how many used iPhones I help them track down to take back to India, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.

Xiaomi has a rather nice lifestyle brand business that's made inroads in home appliances, all bound to a Mi Ecosystem.

Don't discount the value of an air purifier, or the degree to which 20 something Chinese youngpersons can spend on comfort devices.

Their IoT story doesn't get much coverage, which is kind of a shame because in many respects they're executing better than what I've seen in the USA.

out of nowhere the surge of this no name brands, each year its different it seems. i remember BLU, Xiomi and Huawei were getting ground over here and now we got two more brands fighting their way to the top (or bottom)

numble

Nah, Tesco Mobile did a huge firesale of pre-rebrand Nokia Lumias a couple of years back. £130 for a Lumia 800 unlocked, no contract with further money off if you spend x amount on groceries for example. Those figures would be those phones still in circulation.
Those are sales share numbers, not usage share, so they only look at sales in the last three months.

Apple may not rely on spec sheets to sell their products, but they damn well care about their specs, since the A-series chips dominate a lot of benchmarks.

Which is why I said "spec sheet" and not "specs". Part of being a prestige tech device is performance, but it's not the whole argument. Apple can sometimes have the fastest device, but not give a shit that Android Phone X has 6GB of RAM, or wireless charging, or whatever.

Maybe Apple keeps the performance lead, but I don't think they will live or die on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom