• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I become a concept artist?

Meesh

Okay, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go all out and make a thread...
Hey, I'm kinda shy.
So here it goes. After years of being a blue collar bricklayer and busting my hump, my back injuries have finally caught up to me, I'll probably be lucky to get another couple years in the refractory side of things...it's all forced my family and I to look towards other forms of employment in the future. A little scary to say the least.
Fortunately I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon and its been a dream of mine to work in the games industry as a concept artist, it's something I've got a genuine passion for. So for the next couple of crippling years ill be putting together a portfolio to the best of my abilities, but this won't be enough...
So I ask GAF:

*What course/courses should I apply for?
*What do developers require of potential employees?
*Is it possible to land a job based on talent alone?

Any help that points me in the right direction would be appreciated :)

interesting topic, I also always wondered about that.
I know in in germany we have special game academies also providing classes in the art department, but I have no idea how this works in other countries

you should check the homepages of some studios, they often publish job offers there + also the requirements needed for certain jobs. I've never seen a developer actively looking for a concept artist though...it seems they are mostly looking for animators and so on.
makes you wonder where they get their artists in the first place

Top Bottom