• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to manually repair a DVD-rw drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM92

Hey guys,

I seriously hope someone can help me with this. I bought a DVD-RW drive from optorite a couple of months ago, Today i go to use it and it's giving me problems it has no warrenty. So I decided to open it up the Tray was stuck in an outward position and wouldn't slide in. I took it all apart and want to put the drive back together and get it working problem is when I put the tray in the cog that moves the laser up and down doesn't move so I'm screwed. I need help with this I don't want to throw it out and get a new one cause I have NO money for anything new. Can someone direct me to a site or something with pictures on how to get this working properly? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

EGM92

xsarien

daedsiluap
So let's get this straight: You bought a kinda no-frills DVD burner, it broke, so you took it apart, don't know how to put it back together, and now you're looking for help?

In the immortal words of Bender, dude: "You're boned."

dog$

Hates quality gaming
egm - sounds like you didn't reassemble in the proper order? Maybe a small pic set is in order.

If this thread stays alive, I also have a question about my machine - somewhere over the last 2 weeks, my DVD/R and DVD ROM both decided to not be recognized by the system anymore (first it was only one drive and only DVDs not being read, now both don't react to any DVD or CD at all). All troubleshooting and driver un/reinstallation doesn't seem to solve anything, and all the while the system still "recognizes" the drives (ie under Properties)

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Weird, my DVD drive just stopped reading DVD-R and DVD-RWs out of the blue. It still reads DVD movies and CDs for some reason. I tried downloading new firmware and such, no avail.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
If this thread stays alive, I also have a question about my machine - somewhere over the last 2 weeks, my DVD/R and DVD ROM both decided to not be recognized by the system anymore (first it was only one drive and only DVDs not being read, now both don't react to any DVD or CD at all). All troubleshooting and driver un/reinstallation doesn't seem to solve anything, and all the while the system still "recognizes" the drives (ie under Properties)

Same thing happened to me when I d/l'd some software off of IRC. I had to re-install Windows. Did you re-install windows or the optical drives?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Nah, I didn't reinstall Windows quite yet, and both drives are the ones that came in the system (it's an HP MediaCenter model), so the best I can do is just manually uninstall the drivers. We have done the System Restore procedure once before (which I think would do the trick, but you have to reinstall everything), but I was figuring on just buying an External DVDR and using USB.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You can more than likely make your existing drives external with one of these...

product_2_1050540811.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom