• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Survive |OT| Zombie Survival For Dummies

vNrPCIMl.png

Release date: Oct 23rd, 2013
505 Games and EKO software
Availible on PC, 360, PS3 and Wii U
$14.99

What is it?: A overhead zombie action rpg where the object is to survive duh, but what makes it stand out? Check out these three easy steps. Currently the game is couch co-op for story mode, and online co-op for survival missions.

STEP 1: Be mindful of your surroundings. All sorts of items can be picked up and used to the best of your abilities. Create shot guns, axes, and fishing rods.

STEP 2: Always make sure you eat, sleep, drink! A tired zombie hunter is a grumpy zombie hunter.

STEP 3: Survive! As you take on missions to escape your horrrific fate, be sure to shoot, hack, and blow up anything that isn't living. Zombies, feral creatures, and even undead MOOSE!

Extra info:
They posted on Steam that they will add online co-op for story mode which will take about a month, I dont know if it will only be for PC tho, right now it only has only co-op for Survival mode and offline co-op for survival and story mode.

Reviews: More reviews as they drop.

SlasherJPC Video Review
Examiner

uj2rrxol.jpg
mZCyAGol.jpg

As I said in the XBLA thread, good review. Disappointed to hear it's undercooked, but more real survival games are always welcome and I'll check out the demo when I get the chance.

Hoping it's as good as State of Decay, which is probably unlikely but if it comes close, that's good enough for me.

Just watched the trailer fir this the other day. Looked fun and really deep. I could see losing myself for a couple days playing this.

Edit: I should have known I'd see you Miles in a zombie thread lol :p

Edited edit: I agree with your SoD comparison. I do think Undead Labs has at this point made THE Zombie game all others will be measured against.

As I said in the XBLA thread, good review. Disappointed to hear it's undercooked, but more real survival games are always welcome and I'll check out the demo when I get the chance.

Hoping it's as good as State of Decay, which is probably unlikely but if it comes close, that's good enough for me.

It's unique enough that it feels seperate of State of Decay. Again it's like Diablo and State of Decay had a baby. As odd as that might sound. I wish it could have been a bit more refined, but a great first start. That difficulty spike though, that took me by surprise BIG TIME.

It's unique enough that it feels seperate of State of Decay. Again it's like Diablo and State of Decay had a baby. As odd as that might sound. I wish it could have been a bit more refined, but a great first start. That difficulty spike though, that took me by surprise BIG TIME.

It's good that it's charting its own course, but SoD really has set the bar high for survival sims for me. I'll check out the demo when I can, but your review had increased my interest in this significantly, even if it's not as refined as it could be.

Ambition is very much appreciated and it sounds like this is a pretty ambitious first attempt, so as with SoD, I'm willing forgive certain aspects if the gameplay is as addictive and memorable as SoD.

Surely you mean "be mindful"?

Good catch! :D Fixed!

It's good that it's charting its own course, but SoD really has set the bar high for survival sims for me. I'll check out the demo when I can, but your review had increased my interest in this significantly, even if it's not as refined as it could be.

I think you will def appreciate the experience. Nothing is more terrifying then a fast moving horde of zombie Ostriches.O_O

jmizzal

Jrs3000

Its coming to WiiU too you need to add that to the OP

so far it has some good reviews

http://www.examiner.com/review/how-to-survive-combines-a-zombie-outbreak-with-crafting-ingenuity

http://www.xboxer360.com/gamereviews/review-how-to-survive/

They posted on Steam that they will add online co-op for story mode which will take about a month, I dont know if it will only be for PC tho, right now it only has only co-op for Survival mode and offline co-op for survival and story mode.

From the xbla review it said it lacked online coop. I thought this was a feature?

jmizzal

From the xbla review it said it lacked online coop. I thought this was a feature?

It doesnt have online co-op for story mode

It only has online co-op for survival mode

But they said they will patch in online co-op for story mode on steam, I dont know if they will for PSN, Xbox or WiiU and WiiU has no online co-op and only offline co-op

Jrs3000

It doesnt have online co-op for story mode

It only has online co-op for survival mode

But they said they will patch in online co-op for story mode on steam, I dont know if they will for PSN, Xbox or WiiU and WiiU has no online co-op and only offline co-op

Oh ok. So if it does bigger numbers on WiiU then maybe they'll add the online to it also? When's the wiiu release date.

GruntosUK

Just watched the trailer fir this the other day. Looked fun and really deep. I could see losing myself for a couple days playing this.

Edit: I should have known I'd see you Miles in a zombie thread lol :p

Edited edit: I agree with your SoD comparison. I do think Undead Labs has at this point made THE Zombie game all others will be measured against.

You've played DayZ right? I am about to start SoD this weekend and those are bold words :)

jmizzal

Oh ok. So if it does bigger numbers on WiiU then maybe they'll add the online to it also? When's the wiiu release date.

On twitter they said soon so i'm assuming tomorrow or next Thursday on Halloween, Nintendo rarely lets you know when stuff is coming out on the eShop before hand.

ZenVolta

Games pretty fun. I would love to see online coop added though. Playing the challenges on line and have local only story coop doesnt seem to make much sense.

Also ran into some pretty unhappy birds. Lets just say it didnt end well for me or my friend.
Peaked to death.

jmizzal

Games pretty fun. I would love to see online coop added though. Playing the challenges on line and have local only story coop doesnt seem to make much sense.

Also ran into some pretty unhappy birds. Lets just say it didnt end well for me or my friend.
Peaked to death.

Lol this game looks real run and has gotten some good reviews, I really hope the WiiU version is out tomorrow

jmizzal

Ok so Wii U release date when?

Not out today I guess Halloween it is

It sucks that XBLA and Steam has State of Decay already but yet they get this game first before PSN and eShop as for WiiU doesnt even have a game like this yet, atleast PSN has Dead Nation.

xclaw

Adding this to the list of possible PS3 couch co op contenders if anyone can confirm it has couch co op story mode.

Bert

Looks fun. I am not a fan of Isometric games, but might get this one.

You choose your games based on camera angle?

OT: Nearly bought this for Wii U the other day, but just couldn't bring myself to it, looks a little bare bones and like it'll get old quick. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

Played this for a couple of hours on PS3 when it came out, and I liked it.

Just downloading the WiiU version at the moment, looking forward to playing it on the gamepad with no TV.

Hope the WiiU version is comparable to PS3 in terms of performance

goonergaz

So I totally missed this (even tho I'm a zombie game nut), I guess it's because PS4 was due out so my attention was elsewhere.

Anyway, I stumbled on this (pardon the pun) yesterday (in fact I can't even remeber how!?) - anyway, there's a demo on PSN so I thought I'd check it out and I really like it.

So I was about to buy it, but it seems a PS4/XBO version is due out 'this Autumn' called 'How to Survive: Storm Edition' so will hold off and get that instead.

It's really worth a try guys and gals :)

Top Bottom