• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's Megaman Network Transmission?

I've been playing and enjoying the Aniversary Collection and then I remember this title. Is it any good? I know it's pretty cheap these days.

Dead

well not really...yet
yeah I sold it after I couldnt get past the first boss. Flame me if you want but it was either that or going on a murderous rampage and destroying my cube/tv/whatever was in my path

I dont have the patience for these types of games anymore. All they do is make me go berserk. I dont need that shit anymore :(

impirius

First boss sucks. You have to get the slide timing exactly right. It's the worst choice for a first boss that I can recall... there's no sense in requiring the player to be spot-on after only one level.

After that... ehh. Just didn't hold my interest. I can see how some folks could dig it, but the action and chip-switching were too plodding for my tastes.

Dead

well not really...yet
I spent a friggin hour trying to slide under his godamn flames and after that i just said screw it, picked up the game and brought it back, ugh

It's fantastic. The graphics are clean and sharp polygonal 2D and the music, by Shinji Hosoe, is truly the best I've heard since the classic NES games. The game isn't level based, but is rather much more of a Metroidvania experience where a huge backtrackable world unfolds that you need to earn and equip different items to access new parts of.

As for the difficulty, the first boss is pretty difficult but only took me two tries (meaning 2 sets of lives) to finish, and after that the game settles in to a much more "normal" difficulty. Honestly, compared to the X and Zero games it's not bad at all. You just have to get over the awkwardly placed first-boss hump.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nubbe said:
That is absolute bullshit

You should put some effort in it to get past Fireman and Gutsman...
It's the easiest Megaman game to date

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

While I certainly don't think it is that hard, you are absolutely wrong when you say that (though difficulty can be somewhat subjective). I started and finished MMNT on vacation, but there were a few seriously tough bosses (OK, Brightman and Elecman, IIRC). Those two bosses are FAR more difficult than virtually any other MM boss. The random chip elements make it difficult to always get something effective and your buster is total shit at that time. What makes the bosses hard is that they assault you much harder and faster than any other MM game. They can take you down in only 3-4 hits and they don't let up.

I justed busted all the way through the MMAC collection recently as well, and none of those games were even difficult...let alone close to MMNT. I've also finished X1-X7 (just did X3 really recently as well) and none of them were as hard either.

MMNT actually got easier as the game went on -AND- most of the stages themselves aren't too difficult at all (as well as most of the bosses)...but a few of the bosses were pretty darn tough. Still, the game demands more effort than an average Megaman game. MM1-6 all feature very short stages and simple bosses (ESPECIALLY if you do them in the right order). Perhaps you have simply forgotten?

Oh, but I loved MMNT and it is totally worth buying (especially for $4.99). Sadly, it doesn't support 480p...but that's not a huge deal.

pops619

Network Transmission is a very cool game. If you like classic Mega Man games and the Battle Network games, you'll love this. It is definitely NOT hard as hell. You just have to use your battle chips and sub items and you'll be fine. The game only gets easier as you get more chips and items. The difficulty curve is basically the same as any Mega Man X game. It's a little tough at first because you don't have much. Once you get more items and abilities, it gets REALLY easy.

neo2046

the game may be hard in the beginning
because you don't know how to use those chips well
but later when you get more and more chips and know the characteristics of the chips
the game becomes easiler
the game is good and worth a try

Vargas

Whoever decided to make the buster weak as hell is a moron. I understand it being weaker in the beginning of the game but it should not take 8 shots from the buster to defeat a normal enemy. I will probably get back to it one day.

nubbe

Vargas said:
Whoever decided to make the buster weak as hell is a moron. I understand it being weaker in the beginning of the game but it should not take 8 shots from the buster to defeat a normal enemy. I will probably get back to it one day.
I take it you never played a Megaman game before

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nubbe said:
I take it you never played a Megaman game before

Err, you really ARE behind on your MM knowledge...

The buster is virtually useless throughout most of the game as it requires you to rely on the chips. I stick to the buster more than anything in normal MM games (even against bosses). It is effective and fun. Finishing a boss in MMNT with a buster is nearly impossible as it does virtually no damage.

nubbe

dark10x said:
Err, you really ARE behind on your MM knowledge...
Yawn
dark10x said:
The buster is virtually useless throughout most of the game as it requires you to rely on the chips.
The buster actually becomes rather powerful when it’s upgraded.

dark10x said:
Finishing a boss in MMNT with a buster is nearly impossible as it does virtually no damage.
Not true, But using chips will be more efficient since the game is designed around the usage of chips.

dark10x said:
I stick to the buster more than anything in normal MM games (even against bosses).
So what is the point here? Many monsters in the original MMs and X games still require more then one shot to be killed and boss attacks often have limited uses with no actual advantage over the buster in most situations other then against bosses. If you have a charged shot you can kill most things with one shot, just like in MMNT.

Vargas

There is no normal enemy that takes more than a couple of shots to kill in the original or X series. If an enemy takes more than that to kill it is usually one of those baddies that are twice the size of MegaMan. It seems to me you just cannot take anyone not liking a MegaMan game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok, I bought Network Transmission today, and expected to get very frustrated by the first boss, considering all this talk of people returning the game because fireman's too difficult.

Man, you guys are PANSIES! Took him down on my second try.

EviLore said:
Ok, I bought Network Transmission today, and expected to get very frustrated by the first boss, considering all this talk of people returning the game because fireman's too difficult.

Yeah, these guys sound like a bunch of whiners. I beat Mega Man one, which is supposedly the hardest one, so I think I'm ready for this one.

Hero

Very fun game, surprisingly difficult at times.

Some of the bosses were insanely difficult if you didn't have the chips that let you cheese them. I still have nightmares about Brightman and Protoman.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
EviLore said:

evilore speaks the truth.

this is by far the easiest mm game to date. after you get the medium cannon and the super cannon the bosses fall like cards.

Top Bottom