• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how's the com sci market in north america?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7imz

I'm almost in my third year which still gives me 2 before I graduate. How's the overall market for computer science students. Is it totally hopeless once you graduate or can a person find a job easily?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, pretty saturated. But for some reason the average starting salary jumped from about 40k to 50k. So it must be improving somewhat.

=W=

Around here, there's a crapload of jobs, but all of them want experience. Finding an entry-level job is the hard part, and it can be ridiculously difficult.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I graduated in May and have yet to find a job. Like W says, there are a bunch of jobs but most of them want at least 2 years experience. As far as I can tell, it's basically impossible unless you know someone.

Lazy

I would suggest reading business papers/magazines to find out which tech companies are really growing. The company I'm doing my internship with grew exponentially over the past 1.5 years and hired about 67 people in just a few months. I've heard stories that five friends who just graduated all submitted their resumes to the company and four were hired.

Also, take note of which companies are going public. The company I work for went public last year and therefore received a huge influx of money to pay for the 67 new hires.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question, it's more of a tip when job hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom