• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson Softs new 32bit CPU: POEMS? Anyone know about it?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
So where is it and what is it going to used for?

The makers of the PC Engine have a new CPU hardware called POEMS (POrtable Entertainment Mixed Solution). It's supposed to out in products by the end of the year, yet I've read nothing about it.

“Xtensa will enable us to deliver breakthrough graphics quality to manufacturers of small, battery-operated hand-held devices as well as specialty entertainment consoles,” said Satoshi Murakami, executive officer, Core Technology Division, Hudson Soft. “The ability to configure and extend the Xtensa processor to our exact needs lets us get maximum performance with a shorter time to market.”

Press release from 2002

What is a specialty entertainment console? NEC to release a new PC Engine maybe? Around the same time that Hudson Soft licensed Xtensa, they also licensed Mosys 1T-SRAM similar to what Nintendo's Gamecube uses.

Vieo

So many handhelds out at one time.... Tapwave, Ngage, GBA, DS, PSP..

Didn't this happen before? Were GameBoy, GameGear, Lynx, and Turbo Express all out at the same time?

Brimstone

But who would Hudson Soft partner with?

"Production of original, high-quality content and technologies. In the future, we hope to take advantage of our past research to create new opportunities for business through alliances with other companies. This year, we expect our partners to release a number of products utilizing Hudson's revolutionary POEMS semiconductor."

Link

It states partners.

NEC? Matsushita? Samsung?

xexex

Banned
OMFG finally the possibility something from Hudson Soft that is as good, no I mean better than, the IronMan aka Project Tetsujin of 1992-1993 that was heavily scaled back for PC-FX of 1994....

Hudson Soft's 32-Bit IronMan / Iron Man FX / Project Tetsujin from 1992
http://members.tripod.com/~faberp/IronMan.htm
http://www.pcenginefx.com/PC-FX/pc-fx_world_-_facts___rumors.html
facts_rumors_ironman.jpg

NEC “IronMan”
Hudson Soft - AKA “Project Tetsujin”, AKA “Hudson’s 32-Bit Prototype System”
he "IronMan" was Hudson Soft's prototype board for what later was believed to have been redesigned to become the PC-FX. Created by the same designers as the PC-Engine, the “IronMan” was sold to NEC HE in the early 1990’s, and shown to the public in 1992.

The prototype board had a 25MHz RISC processor and a custom developed chipset, a HuCard type port in the front, another port beside that for some other device, Left/Right Audio jacks, and video hookups. To the rear of the board, a video cord is connected to another video output, and to the right of that, a control port which fits the PC Engine control pad is connected. Then, to the right of that, is what appears to be some sort of expansion port. Three other connections are also found in the back which are unknown for what they are used for. The dimensions of the "IronMan" were approximately 12x12in.

This was the last piece of hardware that Hudson Soft’s hardware team developed (with previous designs being the PC-Engine line of systems and the Sharp X6800).

Super Star Soldier 3D (for PC-FX)

pre-rendered FMV?
facts_rumors_sss3d01.jpg

facts_rumors_sss3d02.jpg

real-time? (circa 1992 for IronMan)

facts_rumors_sss3d03.jpg

Brimstone

xexex

Banned
Brimstone: thank you for your effort of putting this info and the pictures on this board. these games look like fun.

Top Bottom