• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hulu orders "Marvel's Runaways."

Status
Not open for further replies.
People behind it are the same ones behind Gossip Girl, so make of that what you will. RIP Runways Phase 4 dreams.

EDIT: Some quotes:

The TV adaptation stems from a series of conversations Schwartz and Savage had with executives from Marvel TV over the past year. The project was developed under the overall deal Schwartz and Savage’s Fake Empire had at ABC Studios where Marvel TV also is based.

Coming of age is familiar territory for Schwartz and Savage who created together the successful TV series adaptation of another book series, Gossip Girl. Schwartz also created the coming-of-age Fox drama The O.C.

“We’ve known the Runaways‘ story would make great television,” said Jeph Loeb, EP and Head of Marvel Television, “and being lucky enough to have Josh and Stephanie — who have time and again created shows that speak so genuinely to this exact audience — write and produce the series is nothing short of remarkable.”

Schwartz and Savage will serve as showrunners of Marvel’s Runaways, which they executive produce with Loeb (Marvel’s Jessica Jones) and Jim Chory (Marvel’s Daredevil) Fake Empire’s Lis Rowinski will produce as well.

JZA

Excellent choice to compete with Netflix's slate of Marvel shows. I feel like Marvel is going all Wu-Tang dividing their various properties between the studios and having them compete against each other.

Also fair to acknowledge that Schwartz also produced Chuck on NBC. So it's not exclusively teen dramedies.

Premise sounds alright, and the proper fit for something like Hulu. I find it interesting how differentiated Marvel is getting with the TV end of the MCU (Netflix, ABC, Freeform, now Hulu). It certainly makes sense on the business end, but I wonder if it'll make crossovers even less likely (since there's less incentive to cross-promote shows on competing platforms).

Also fair to acknowledge that Schwartz also produced Chuck on NBC. So it's not exclusively teen dramedies.

Premise sounds alright, and the proper fit for something like Hulu. I find it interesting how differentiated Marvel is getting with the TV end of the MCU (Netflix, ABC, Freeform, now Hulu). It certainly makes sense on the business end, but I wonder if it'll make crossovers even less likely (since there's less incentive to cross-promote shows on competing platforms).

Oh yup, I knew that name sounded familiar. And "Runaways" is a perfect fit for TV. The storyline for the first arc is pretty much perfect set-up for a TV show about teens with dysfunctional families finding out they're supervillains and going on the run.

Plus, I'll finally get my "Runaways" ongoing, hopefully with BKV returning.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Runaways makes sense as a teen angst drama, but yeah, it seems like the whole MCU thing is completely meaningless now that there are properties on different competing networks.

JeTmAn81

Runaways, at least the initial run by Vaughan, is great and could make for a great TV show. I'm interested.

Don't know the Runaways but I'm not sure I want to pay for Netflix AND Hulu.

Looking up images, my wild guess would be that the shows going for a younger demographic than what I would be. But I see a dinosaur, so I still have an interest.

Runaways makes sense as a teen angst drama, but yeah, it seems like the whole MCU thing is completely meaningless now that there are properties on different competing networks.

Well, considering how the film & TV side have been split and that Feige and Perlmutter are dead, I'd say you're right. But frankly I'd take quality TV shows over working around the movies. Agents of SHIELD really really suffered for that and I hope no other show faces that sort of self-sabotage in an effort to unify the universe. The Netflix series do it well: just the occasional reference to cement they're in the same universe and then go on.

Let's be honest, Gossip Girl does have the proper Runaways aesthetic.

gossip-girl-season1_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom