• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

HxH 342 Politics edition!

The translation is flaky again, there was three points where I'm almost sure there was a mistranslation as what they said didn't make a lot of sense from what we know already.

But overall, it seems the deal between the three factions, V5, Beyond Netero and the Hunter association is already done. The plan announced by the country Kakin and B.N. was too big and too public as to stop it, much less peacefully as they wish, so they are going to just save face making them join into V6 and play as if the voyage plan was their plan all along and Kakin and B.N. their designed executors of the plan. With the prevision of putting the immigrants of some far away islands that aren't the DC lol, and B.N says that they were included just to force hands at V5.
But internally the Hunter Asoc. will have to maintain a "leash" close to B.N., of course, ordered by the V5. All this was already forethought by Beyond Netero.

There are some internal details about the relation of V5 and the Bureau and the Hunter Association that were lost to me, thanks to the translation.

Another thing is how they mentioned again the beastly race that serves as middlemen between humankind and the D.C, I suppose they will be an important plot point later.

Ging and Pariston... why the confrontation if they both want to go the the D.C?
My theory is the following: Ging seems to serve as bait himself to the chaotic Pariston as "playmate", as he fears that Pariston is only in it to sow chaos and problems between B.N group and the Hunters just for kicks.

upandaway

I'm gonna go ahead and not assume anything until hopefully another translation comes up (or worst case, some kind of summary from someone who can read Viz's version). Forget the ridiculous amount of vague or incoherent text, some of the bubbles were downright contradictory.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can someone explain to me how the chapters keep getting out early? I thought VIZ was simulpublicating these alongside Japan. Is it because issues are getting into hands before street date?

This seems like a decent summary of what happened.

V5 is the big power on the known continent. They have a treaty to not fuck with DC. (Coincidentally they went 5 times and brought back 5 calamities, implying every nation joined the V treaty after getting their asses kicked by DC) Beyond became "King" of some country outside of V5 so that he could lead their colonization efforts. V5 invites them to a summit, the V6. They'll arrange that most normalpowered people get settled on some islands near the boarder of their ocean, telling them that it is the dc. The ones actually skilled enough to go get told in secret and are allowed to go with Beyond. Beyond and his allies however need to be watched by the Hunter Association otherwise V5 would think it too risky, because of the calamities they might accidently bring back. Pariston wants to have fun which is why he intends to use the 5000 chimera soldiers to pressure the Hunter Association into going to the DC. Ging tells him to stop fucking with the Hunter Association and start fucking with him instead. Homolust is implied.

This seems like a decent summary of what happened.

V5 isn't a continent but five. Therefore, "V5". Beyond didn't become King, the king of Kakin Empire is the one they are talking about (well, emperor, not king, I suppose). Read the last chapter before the long hiatus.

I'm gonna go ahead and not assume anything until hopefully another translation comes up (or worst case, some kind of summary from someone who can read Viz's version). Forget the ridiculous amount of vague or incoherent text, some of the bubbles were downright contradictory.

There is a second translation already, it also has a pair of mistakes and weird translations but reading both has left me more or less with the impression of knowing what the hell happened.

Kyuur

That is correct, Beyond is going to make Kakin's emperor famous for 'conquering' portions of the DC (or just those islands on the border for now?), that is how he secured their support.

Looks like this arc is really just going to follow the Zodiacs and not Gon. I guess it's the author giving him some time to train up off screen and become more adept so he can throw him against more interesting threats. Seeing Ging so much is pretty hype.

There is one part at the end I'm not sure I quite understand. Did Ging tell Pariston to release 5000 chimera ants, or is he saying that is what he is planning to do and will stop him? Where is he implying they will be released, in the DC or the human world?

This is moving a lot faster than I imagined! I remember people predicting that the Dark Continent expedition wouldn't happen for another couple of arcs, or wouldn't even happen at all!

At this point, I wonder if Gon will even play a part in this arc. Between the Zodiacs and Beyond's gain of weirdos, there are plenty of characters to be developed, so as long as all these new people are interesting, I don't think I'd be bothered if none of the old characters showed up.

Axass

That is correct, Beyond is going to make Kakin's emperor famous for 'conquering' portions of the DC (or just those islands on the border for now?), that is how he secured their support.

Looks like this arc is really just going to follow the Zodiacs and not Gon. I guess it's the author giving him some time to train up off screen and become more adept so he can throw him against more interesting threats. Seeing Ging so much is pretty hype.

There is one part at the end I'm not sure I quite understand. Did Ging tell Pariston to release 5000 chimera ants, or is he saying that is what he is planning to do and will stop him? Where is he implying they will be released, in the DC or the human world?

It's Pariston who's playing with the ants, he was the one sending zeppelins to carry them away from East Gorteau, so he has the power to release them. I think Ging is just pointing out he knows about Pariston's plan.

As for where and why he'd release them, no clue, the translation sucks.

EDIT: There's no way Gon isn't involved. He's going to end up in the expedition one way or another, especially if Ging takes part in it.

daveo42

Banned

I'm getting the feeling, based on how quickly things are moving, that this will be a prelude to a DC arc and this will focus on a much larger calamity being brought back that the Hunters will have to face. This is based on Netero's desire that the Organization beats Beyond back to DC but now they are both going together. Gon will eventually be back to help repel this new calamity and then we'll finally get to see the exploration into DC.

Axass

A very good summary/analysis from another site:

amoham10 said:
Well we know that Isaac Netero wants the Zodiacs to go to Dark Continent. Netero had also been to the Dark Continent before but found that his view of strength is more on that for combat. Beyond, on the other hand, views strength to be that of determination and the desire to explore the unknown - something Netero acknowledges as a far more virtuous quality of a hunter. This is why Netero is "making a request" for the Hunters Association to set up their own expedition and beat Beyond for the prestige of exploring and colonizing the Dark Continent.

The country of Kakin wants to go to the Dark Continent. The Dark Continent remember from last chapter, is taboo and humans have not visited it for centuries.

The Five Modern Nation Leaders (V5) don't want to deal with this because each time humanity has stepped into the Dark Continent, they've only brought calamities back. Another reason is out of the 149 times humanity has tried to voyage the Dark Continent, there were only 28 survivors and 3 were able to live normal lives (Beyond was one of them). Mind you these were powerful individuals with a lot of luck on their side. So it would be very reckless and dangerous for the citizens of Kakin to head over to the Dark Continent.

V5 order The Zodiacs to capture Beyond, as a way to get their own info on the Dark Continent (preferably the calamities).

Beyond gives himself up, proposing they take him to Dark Continent under the pretense that they are chasing him and to obtain greater support for his trip to the Dark Continent from the Hunter's Association and V5. Funny part was he made a prediction that they would release him, which means this was all planned from the beginning. Beyond is a lot smarter than we gave him credit for.

The Zodiacs accept, so they can fulfill Isaac's final request/order.

The V5 plan on inviting Kakin in order to turn the organization from the V5 into the V6, in an attempt to limit the damage of the expedition that would otherwise bring more calamities back from the Dark Continent. To ensure a monitored expedition, the Hunter's Association will accompany Beyond by orders of the V5 into the Dark Continent.

The Zodiac must do this on the expedition of the Dark Continent:
1. Keeping Beyond a prisoner
2. Fighting off Beyond's allies
3. Dealing with the 5 calamities
4. Exploring the continent to find ways to benefit mankind.

The King of Kakin is building Black Whale ships to effectively transport people from their country into the Dark Continent. The first ship will send Beyond and presumably the Zodiac 10 along with more in the future. The King estimates one million immigrants over the next five years.

Ging meets with Pariston and proposes he joins Beyond's team. He also tells Pariston to stop causing trouble because Pariston wanted to send his pet army of 5000 Chimera ant soldiers against one of two targets: the Dark Continent if the Hunter Association goes along with Beyond or the Hunter Association itself if it doesn't. Also, Ging might want to be a lone wolf in the New World......looks like Gon will have to search for his father in the New World as well.

Beyond and the Zodiacs will be the first adventurers that manage to successfully infiltrate the Dark Continent officially, and will also establish the first ground base for operations and maybe even starting the cartography of the first continent.

*There has to be a time skip for Gon and the gang because right now they are far too weak for the Dark Continent. My prediction is 5 years and by then Leerio will be a doctor, he could be a great benefit in healing injuries. Don't know how Kurapica will come into this but Togashi will make it work.....or he will go with something completely different. Time will tell.

Popnbake

A very good summary/analysis from another site:

Thanks!

Looks like I'm going to have to wait for a translation summary of future chapters before reading.

*There has to be a time skip for Gon and the gang because right now they are far too weak for the Dark Continent.

I hope there isn't a time skip for HxH...

Netero found that combat strength didn't really mean much for survival in the Dark Continent and thinks that detemination is a much better asset for a hunter which Gon has in abundance.

dan2026

Its weird that we are three chapters into the new arc and haven't even seen Gon yet.

Oh well, that's HxH for you.

Snakeyes

Holy crap @ Chapter 342.

If the entirety of their mapped world is in the middle of a lake in the Dark Continent, how massive is the actual HxH world? I have a hard time believing this is one of the last arcs, as this development gives Togashi a perfect opportunity to continue the series for as long as he feels like.

Holy crap @ Chapter 342.

If the entirety of their mapped world is in the middle of a lake in the Dark Continent, how massive is the actual HxH world? I have a hard time believing this is one of the last arcs, as this development gives Togashi a perfect opportunity to continue the series for as long as he feels like.

He can always continue the series as long as he feels like without the need of the DC, the amount of stories don't really depend on the geographical size of a world.

andymcc

Banned
He can always continue the series as long as he feels like without the need of the DC, the amount of stories don't really depend on the geographical size of a world.

right.

this isn't oda we are talking about here.

conceptually, the demon realm stuff in YYH could have continued for several arcs.

Chapter 204:

And as for where Gyro is supposed to be headed, in chapter 315:

Was Gyro being born even in the anime? I don't remember.

Dang that was a pretty cool chapter. I can't wait for more. The mangastream translation wasn't bad, but that summary a few posts above really cleared some things up.

Very, very text heavy. Like 40 Bleach chapters worth. However, all interesting.

The ENTIRE WORLD exists only on a Sea in the middle of the Dark Continent? So the "Dark Continent" is not an actual Continent, just the rest of the world perhaps? And also interesting is that the news reporters said that dangerous B/A rank beasts on the Dark Continent are a myth which is bullshit because Chimaera Ants come from there. Are they still being covered up?

It also seems that Ging and Pariston won't be playing nice with each other, and Ging wants him to use or knows he has his Chimaera Ant storage. But for what reason?

The ENTIRE WORLD exists only on a Sea in the middle of the Dark Continent? So the "Dark Continent" is not an actual Continent, just the rest of the world perhaps? And also interesting is that the news reporters said that dangerous B/A rank beasts on the Dark Continent are a myth which is bullshit because Chimaera Ants come from there. Are they still being covered up?

It also seems that Ging and Pariston won't be playing nice with each other, and Ging wants him to use or knows he has his Chimaera Ant storage. But for what reason?

Not a sea brah..A FUCKING LAKE!!

It's true it was a text heavy chapter, but it's worth it because it seems to have already done most of the political setup in just two chapters. Next one should be more focused on Ging or maybe a return to some old protagonist.

Also, in the anime thread someone has *guessed* the radiation poisoning as end for the Ants and they are discussing about it. And when I say "guessed" I mean 80% chances that is a dude that has read the manga playing dumb in the thread.

Yonafunu

It seems pretty clear to me that the only people that really know what's out there are V5, Beyond and the Hunter Association. A news reporter won't know shit, only what he'd be told to say.

upandaway

Also, in the anime thread someone has *guessed* the radiation poisoning as end for the Ants and they are discussing about it. And when I say "guessed" I mean 80% chances that is a dude that has read the manga playing dumb in the thread.
No reason why they can't guess it considering how much hinting and teasing there was for it in the thread.

It's true it was a text heavy chapter, but it's worth it because it seems to have already done most of the political setup in just two chapters. Next one should be more focused on Ging or maybe a return to some old protagonist.

I am not even sure what one would get from doing that..reminds me of the paranoia going in regards to GOT spoilers.

Anyways read a better translation and at the end there it seems like Ging is telling Pariston to send 5000 Chimera Ant his way for him to decimate.

Ok, I am still confused about one thing.

They say "Humanity has tried 149 times to challenge the voyage" and then say "The number of survivors totals 28 from those 5 voyages"

Am I stupid or am I missing something in this bad translation? Which one is it? Is it 149 people or 149 voyages.

Edit: And yeah I do find funny people in the anime thread are talking all speculatory about the thing that actually happens.

Holy crap @ Chapter 342.

I like the name of the Lake being Moebius lake. It kinda explains why early explorers in the HxH world thought their part was the entire world because any attempt to sail outside of the areas will be a huge loop and it will swing them back into the known world. Pretty smart of him to name it after the Moebius strip.

Charade

They say "Humanity has tried 149 times to challenge the voyage" and then say "The number of survivors totals 28 from those 5 voyages"

Am I stupid or am I missing something in this bad translation? Which one is it? Is it 149 people or 149 voyages.

Yeah I caught this too. Maybe the 5 are the more recent ones? Idk...I ended up buying the last chapter so I'll prob get this one too on Monday. Hopefully that will clear things up, and I'll share if it does (last chapter there wasn't any noteworthy differences between the Viz and the AP one that was posted in this thread, so if you read that one you were pretty much all set).

Edit: And yeah I do find funny people in the anime thread are talking all speculatory about the thing that actually happens.

I understood it as : 149 voyages, most of them finished without news of the travelers (they died on the journey or in DC) or they know of them from very old records and don't know if someone returned or not, only in 5 some people returned (28 in total), and from them returning, bringing a calamity each time.

the problem with the Anime thread is that people are just adding to the "speculation" with the radiation

and people who do read the manga and are not trying to spoil the thread have no choice but to just sit there and watch them spoil everything for themselves

lol at the so called "predictors" saying they where right (and amazing for "guessing" it all along) after it unfolds

Akainu

So the whole known world is just in some large lake? That's crazy.

I wonder what rank the beast in the beginning of the hunter exam were.

Axass

That spread with the whale-ship was amazing and very unlike Togashi. I hope we don't get back to scribbles too soon (though it's inevitable).

Anyways read a better translation and at the end there it seems like Ging is telling Pariston to send 5000 Chimera Ant his way for him to decimate.
Do share please! I can't wrap my head around half the things they say in the current one.

Was Gyro being born even in the anime? I don't remember.
Sure he was, they dedicated an entire episode to him.

Not a sea brah..A FUCKING LAKE!!

Yep, I was like "wow". This is not even on the usual level of Toriko size-idiocy, it's even better, they're on a Jupiter sized planet or something around that.

I understood it as : 149 voyages, most of them finished without news of the travelers (they died on the journey or in DC) or they know of them from very old records and don't know if someone returned or not, only in 5 some people returned (28 in total), and from them returning, bringing a calamity each time.

I had the same exact impression. That's an astounding level of epic failure, right there. Complete annihilation most of the times they set foot there, and when it's not a massacre they bring back monsters so bad they're addressed as freakin' calamities.

the problem with the Anime thread is that people are just adding to the "speculation" with the radiation

and people who do read the manga and are not trying to spoil the thread have no choice but to just sit there and watch them spoil everything for themselves

lol at the so called "predictors" saying they where right (and amazing for "guessing" it all along) after it unfolds

Yep, I'm silent because it's the best I can do right now, and hope the discussion die. But, as it remember happening in the manga... it's something very very hard to guess. The king reemerged at full force after the explosion, there is zero reason right now for an anime viewer to start thinking "mmm maybe there is a delayed effect, radiation and all that". It will make more sense next episode when they Pouf and Yupi start having nosebleeds, but right now? Fucking so called "predictors".

So the whole known world is just in some large lake? That's crazy.

I wonder what rank the beast in the beginning of the hunter exam were.

Well, I wouldn't call "lake" at something that it's maybe occupies half of their world. We don't know exactly the ratio between the sea and the rest of the land aka the Dark Continent.

andymcc

Banned
Yep, I'm silent because it's the best I can do right now, and hope the discussion die. But, as it remember happening in the manga... it's something very very hard to guess. The king reemerged at full force after the explosion, there is zero reason right now for an anime viewer to start thinking "mmm maybe there is a delayed effect, radiation and all that". It will make more sense next episode when they Pouf and Yupi start having nosebleeds, but right now? Fucking so called "predictors".

Actually, Youpi was coughing in between lines on the most recent episode. I thought that was a pretty amazing hint that no one caught.

It's more grasping at any way the King could possibly be defeated since now he's by far stronger then everyone else

I'm ok with 'our' world sitting in an Ocean like that except for...do they try to justify the world being round? If you sailed west you would just hit the boundry

Daingurse

It-has-begun-600x327.jpg

Interesting chapter. The world of Hunter x Hunter, geographically speaking, is damn strange. Really feels like some shit outta One Piece, but I can roll with it, as long as the Dark Continent brings some big threats. It's hard to imagine an organism being more powerful than Meruem . . . but I think we could easily have a challenging threat, that does not even approach the King's strength. Looking forward to the next chapters, unbelievably curious about where Gon stands now.

Top Bottom