• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am looking to start reading again.. any good fiction books you'd recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent read a fictional book for fun since... "sphere" by michael crichton..

I loved that book, btw, and read it twice.

can someone recommend me something good?!

White Man

n373.jpg

Philip K. Dick is about 3 steps away from being academically in vogue. Start reading him before Harold Bloom starts praising him!

Also, this is not only my favorite PKD, but also my favorite sci-fi book.

I love the movies based on phillipp k dick, so knowing that, id probably love his books huh?

whats the best stephen king book for a newby to start off with? something not too long, not too complex, etc?

White Man

Outside of Blade Runner, and elements of The Minority Report, the movies based on his stuff haven't been very accurate. His books come across as smart sci-fi with an eye for philosophical meanderings and a hyperawareness of social issues. Although his characters are typically hackneyed, he's very much as much a humanist as Vonnegut ever was.

Tortfeasor

I just ready Cruddy by Lynda Berry. Check it out at Amazon. It was a really fantastic piece of work that is something of a satirization of the old Judy Bloom formula.

The amazon review in part:
Lynda Barry's illustrated novel Cruddy has not one but three equally alarming openings. The first is a suicide note: "Dear Anyone Who Finds This, Do not blame the drugs." The next is a description of the lurid crucifix that hangs over the narrator's bed: "Some nights looking at him scares me so bad I can hardly move and I start doing a prayer for protection. But when the thing that is scaring you is already Jesus, who are you supposed to pray to?" The third is worthy of a nightmare fairytale, beginning "Once upon a cruddy time on a cruddy street on the side of a cruddy hill in the cruddiest part of a crudded-out town in a cruddy state, country, world, solar system, universe..."

Barry came to fame as a cartoonist, and though the humor in her strip Ernie Pook's Comeek is dark, nothing in it could prepare her fans for the sheer horror of Cruddy. The novel is funny, sort of, as long as you think naming a knife Little Debbie is funny, or lines like "A man who has been dead for a week in a hot trailer looks more like a man than you would first expect." What's more, it's compulsively, almost harrowingly, readable, written with the kind of velocity that makes you keep turning pages even when you don't want to. Despite the hallucinogenic quality of the violence around her, Roberta is never anything less than real, and her story will strike chords in anyone whose childhood was marked by ugliness and fear. Cruddy may be a bad acid trip, but if you can stomach the ride, it's a very good book.

Alucard

Banned
White Man said:
Outside of Blade Runner, and elements of The Minority Report, the movies based on his stuff haven't been very accurate. His books come across as smart sci-fi with an eye for philosophical meanderings and a hyperawareness of social issues. Although his characters are typically hackneyed, he's very much as much a humanist as Vonnegut ever was.

Your use of big words and ideas scares me. :( But I will check out this "Philip K. Dick" fellow.

AntoneM

The last page turner I read was Brining Down the House, it's a true story of how a bunch of students "scammed" Vegas out of a shit load of money.

For fiction I'm partial to SF so I recommend Earth by David Brinn.

HAOHMARU

My favorite writers are Mario Puzo, James Clavell and Laura Joh Rowland.

Mario Puzo:
Godfather
The Scicillian

James Clavell:
Shogun
The Rat King

Laura Joh Rowland:
Entire Sano Ichiro detective series.

I've been pretty bad lately when trying to read...I still have to finish 2 books I have started about 4 months ago.

Teddman

I've read the following by Philip K. Dick (ranked in order of how good I thought they were):

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
The Man in the High Castle
A Scanner Darkly
Time Out of Joint
Eye in the Sky

And Collected Stories of PKD Vol. 1 & 2

I like PKD's stuff, but realize it is somewhat "drug science fiction." The man was on drugs often while writing, and it shows. A lot of his books simply don't make sense throughout their entire length, but at the end it all usually comes together in a weird way. Anyhow, thought-provoking stuff.

White Man

You must read Palmer Eldritch. As far as I'm concerned, it's his only perfect novel. It's astoundingly brilliant, and it has a great ending -- rare for a PKD novel.

That said, yeah, his short stories are the bee's knees, baby.

LuckyBrand said:
I love the movies based on phillipp k dick, so knowing that, id probably love his books huh?

whats the best stephen king book for a newby to start off with? something not too long, not too complex, etc?

The Gunslinger, book one of Dark Tower is a pretty short read and smaller scale than the books get later on. Give it a read.

=W=

If we're talking sci-fi, I have to mention Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, if you haven't read them already. First books after high school that actually got me into reading again.

I think Ill try that "prey" book my crichton, as I have liked every book of his that I have read, which is only like 3-4-5, but i loved them all.

I just finished reading the screenplay for I, Robot by Harlan Ellison and it's an interesting take on the Asimov stories. A very different and very literary screenplay as the one that was filmed.

0743486595.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'll second White Man's recommendation of Three Stigmata, it's an excellent, out-there read. And yeah, take a look at PKD's other works as well.

For epic, multi-book stuff, there's nothing better than George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. The series has spawned a whole fantasy subgenre, and every modern fantasy work gets compared to it. Extremely cleverly devised, shifting 1st person perspectives that cover a vast range of personas as they mature, die, and live. The world-building is at once believable and vivid, with significant nods taken from actual history, mixed with an underlying tone of the extraordinary that slowly intertwines itself with the main storyline (no LIGHTNING BOLT! type of stuff). While at times vicious and raw, it's not so just for the sake of it, and can truly be called a "Mature" work without belittling the descriptor through the juvenile, fanboyistic writing often seen in the genre.

The first three books of the series are currently available, with the 4th (hopefully...) finishing up soon. One thing to keep in mind is that this won't be a "continue as long as it sells" series as with Jordan and Goodkind and all the other staples of longwinded idiocy the genre has seen in the past decade. This is Martin's magnum opus, and as an established writer from many genres, he's on a pretty set course. It's not a stagnant melodrama with Super Hero With Sword of Light destroying Ultimate Evil That Never Truly Dies over and over again with each book.

game_throne.jpg

Dram

Anything by George P. Pelecanos is great. Especially if you love urban detective stories, with lots of gun play.

Dyne

If you like Crichton you should check out Timeline. It was a good book though I haven't seen the movie they made of it.

Yes, James Clavell you HAVE to read. Shogun, King Rat, or Tai Pan.

way more

c2139.jpg

Where's the love for J.G. Ballard? In the current state of National security and hysteria his books are prefect for the times. He writes Vonnegut type sci-fi but more political and scarier. One of the stories from the book above is written entirely as a list of questions, another as an index.

firex

Personally, I found a couple novels recently translated and released in the past 4 years to be pretty good:
"On Parole" and "Shipwrecks" by Akira Yoshimura. He's not the best Japanese author, but I thought his stuff was interesting regardless of any interest in Japanese culture. I checked amazon and saw he has a couple other books released besides those 2, but they're in paperback so they're cheap... and his books aren't that long either.

White Man

For epic, multi-book stuff, there's nothing better than George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. The series has spawned a whole fantasy subgenre, and every modern fantasy work gets compared to it.

I am torn between starting up with this guy or going with the Gormenghast (sp?) Trilogy. Is he the new Robert Jordan, or something? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not versed in fantasy literature.

Dyne said:
If you like Crichton you should check out Timeline. It was a good book though I haven't seen the movie they made of it.

I second that....and I thought the movie stunk, book was much better. And here's another one where the movie failed to capture the greatness of the book:

n11686.jpg

border

In the event that you don't want to read any genre writing (sci-fi, cyperpunk, fantasy, etc), I will recommend...

The Satanic Verses by Salmon Rushdie -- the controversy over this book was ridiculously overblown, but all the same it's always interesting to read a novel that actually caused the issue of a death warrant on the author. I think it's excellent, challenging fiction even if you ignore all the bullshit that went on outside the text. Wonderfully imaginative, and it keeps you engaged the whole way through. Pretty easy to follow, but still pretty dense at the same time.

Ghosts by John Banville -- I just love weird fiction, and this is about as weird as you can get without suffering a complete and total breakdown of narrative/story. I think it is about as close to David Lynch as a novel can get -- trying to follow the story doesn't give you a headache (as with Faulkner or Joyce at their most experimental), but there is certainly a great deal to discuss and think about once you've finished.

White Man

Ghosts by John Banville -- I just love weird fiction, and this is about as weird as you can get without suffering a complete and total breakdown of narrative/story. I think it is about as close to David Lynch as a novel can get -- trying to follow the story doesn't give you a headache (as with Faulkner or Joyce at their most experimental), but there is certainly a great deal to discuss and think about once you've finished.

You had me until the part where you slammed Faulkner and Joyce, my two favorite authors. Give me the keys, you fucking cocksucker motherfucker! ARGHHG!!!!

MASB

One series I've been reading lately that I would recommend is the Aubrey/Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brian. The Russell Crowe movie "Master and Commander" was based on them. They're about a British naval captain Jack Aubrey and his friend, doctor/intelligence agent Stephen Maturin and their adventures during the Napoleanic Wars. If you're into historical novels, it can be pretty interesting, though it can get tedious at times with all the descriptions of the ship's sails, nautical terms, etc.

border

I'm not really trying to slam Faulkner and Joyce. I'm trying to reccommend stuff that's cool but still approachable for someone that doesn't want something too esoteric. Ghosts has a lot of cryptic stream-of-consciousness, but it's decidedly easier to enjoy and piece things together. There's also a weird sense that legitimately bizarre and near-supernatural things are going on, whereas something like The Sound and the Fury is a fairly realistic tale told in a dauntingly unconventional manner. You can read Faulkner's book casually and still miss out on some pretty major events (plenty of people in my last class had no idea that Quentin killed himself), but in Ghosts the narrator keeps you pretty well aware of most of the plot.

If Faulkner was totally accessible to you on the first readthrough, then I must bow to your clearly superior reading skills ;)

White Man

(plenty of people in my last class had no idea that Quentin killed himself)

But the whole third part of the book is dedicated to vividly describing his train of thought on the day he put on the ol' cement shoes! It's clear as day! Only the first part of the book is even remotely difficult to understand. And those 80 pages or so are the most difficult Faulkner put to paper from a comprehension point of view. Faulkner is the only god among American writers (not counting Canadians of South/Central Americans).

Joyce is godly, but yes, a primer is need for Ulysses and Finnegans. For both, the very specific political situation of his time was important; for Finnegans, the insane and interesting language work is vital to any true understanding of the work. Ulysses could (feasibly) be understood without a primer (if you're willing to pay no mind to the personal or political context of the novel). . .not so with Finnegan's Wake. That said, Joyce's early works, primarily Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Dubliners, are perfectly understandable without much help. Joyce is a god among artists.

border

White Man said:
But the whole third part of the book is dedicated to vividly describing his train of thought on the day he put on the ol' cement shoes! It's clear as day! Only the first part of the book is even remotely difficult to understand. And those 80 pages or so are the most difficult Faulkner put to paper from a comprehension point of view. Faulkner is the only god among American writers (not counting Canadians of South/Central Americans).
I believe Quentin's section comes second, actually. Jason is the narrator of the third portion (and the last bit is the third person "Dilsey" section).

I'm always debating whether my last classmates were total idiots or just regular readers. The professor was a published Faulkner scholar and he admitted to not picking up on the suicide his first time through.....though perhaps that's because he was reading it as a teen (or he just lied to make the more dense folks feel less ashamed). I'd say that Quentin's section is pretty hard to follow, in part because a lot of people are so fucked up by Benji's section that they have given up on trying to comprehend much of anything. Plus it does have some pretty sudden shifts between past and present and bizarro fantasy. Other than Quentin's offhand comments about leaving notes and finding heavy rocks, his suicide isn't really spelled out.

Though to make a case for the "My classmates were just morons" argument, a couple people were actually asking if Quentin was gay or some sort of transsexual since they didn't really understand that the female Quentin was an entirely different character. This was as the book was being read though, they might have figured it out after completion. It was a class called "Faulkner and Film", and film classes always tend to attract a lot of thickheads who think that a film class will be fun and easy. Once a dumbass always a dumbass, what I say.

Joyce's early works are pretty approachable, as is some of Faulkner (the short stories, Sanctuary). That's why I tried to modify my statement by saying it's not as hard as Joyce and Faulkner at their most experimental ;)

nitewulf

White Man said:
I am torn between starting up with this guy or going with the Gormenghast (sp?) Trilogy. Is he the new Robert Jordan, or something? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not versed in fantasy literature.

i personally think he is a much more talented writer than jordan. while reading ASoI&F, you might not see that though, as the series is very easy to read, and is after everything is said and done, a magnificent soap opera. but it is written with style, wit and it is very believable. its very fast paced and brutal as well. the main characters and the world are richly detailed, you sort of grow with them. i really suggest this series.

his ability as a writer also shines through in his novellas (evilore take note, there are two ASoI&F novellas in fantasy compilations "legends" and "legends 2") and his sci fi short stories.

jordan on the other hand just sort of winds on and on, a very stylish writer but takes too long to get to the point.

White Man

It was a class called "Faulkner and Film", and film classes always tend to attract a lot of thickheads who think that a film class will be fun and easy. Once a dumbass always a dumbass, what I say.

The most painful part of this is that I'm considering taking up film classes when I return to school next fall. I still plan on keeping my Lit and Phil majors, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series seems to mostly infuriate its readers with every new book released. The first few books, from my understanding, engage the reader, and the next half dozen only create scores of impossibly convoluted plot threads that will never be resolved, amidst characters that are piled upon characters, often eschewing the entire base that the series was founded on for no apparent reason. Apparently the series starts out firm if deeply cliched in tolkien roots, then degrades into an abysmal pace, with nothing actually *happening*.

Jordan's works sold because there wasn't much around at the time. At the least, WoT was a massive compilation that could kill plenty of reading hours while waiting for something better. Other preeminent authors in the genre generally remained derivitive and "safe" with their creations.

In the midst of this, Martin spawned a series that was not a tolkien carbon-copy, that was not a simple money maker; he grasped the casual reader without making him feel like he was degrading himself simply by touching the genre, and the hard-core fantasy vets had something entirely fresh and unexpected. Martin's not only a good writer, but a vastly experienced one. Reading through RRetrospective, a large compilation of his works, a body of short stories show an appreciation for fantasy, but not a limitation to it. Martin doesn't use a genre as a limitation; there's no requirement for an unlikely farm boy to go on whatever the fucking tired old stereotype is. Martin's works are as they are through an appreciation of the characters. The stories are felt. One dimensional is not part of his vocabulary. With that general Fantasy fallacy turned aside, all the best elements are endeared, and to top it off the damned books improve with each iteration (instead of the reverse with most major fantasy series).

So I don't fall into the realm of fanboyism *too* much, I'll stop here. But really, if there's one fantasy series to read, genuinely screw Tolkien and make it ASOIAF. Thankfully no one has to make that sort of decision, but if forced I'd do so without hesitation.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
White Man said:

I'm going to vote based on what you've mentioned so far...

Gormenghast! Gormenghast! Gormenghast!

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Straight fiction:

King Rat, Tai Pan, Noble House, or Shogun: all by James Clavell

Science Fiction:

The Years of Rice and Salt: Kim Stanley Robinson

Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion: Dan Simmons

Fantasy:

Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin

Lord of the Rings if you haven't read it

Non-Fiction:

A History of God: Karen Armstrong

Dude Where's My Country : Michael Moore (if you swing that way)

0312186967.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's a hilarious collection of short stories skewering English and Lib Arts academia. If you enjoy them -- and anyone who has a Lib Arts education will -- you should also pick up his novel, "A Lecturer's Tale". It's all incredibly clever, combining the trippiest of Tim Powers with comedies of academic manners. White Man, you above all need to read these books.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
EviLore said:
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series seems to mostly infuriate its readers with every new book released. The first few books, from my understanding, engage the reader, and the next half dozen only create scores of impossibly convoluted plot threads that will never be resolved, amidst characters that are piled upon characters, often eschewing the entire base that the series was founded on for no apparent reason. Apparently the series starts out firm if deeply cliched in tolkien roots, then degrades into an abysmal pace, with nothing actually *happening*.

Jordan's works sold because there wasn't much around at the time. At the least, WoT was a massive compilation that could kill plenty of reading hours while waiting for something better. Other preeminent authors in the genre generally remained derivitive and "safe" with their creations.

In the midst of this, Martin spawned a series that was not a tolkien carbon-copy, that was not a simple money maker; he grasped the casual reader without making him feel like he was degrading himself simply by touching the genre, and the hard-core fantasy vets had something entirely fresh and unexpected. Martin's not only a good writer, but a vastly experienced one. Reading through RRetrospective, a large compilation of his works, a body of short stories show an appreciation for fantasy, but not a limitation to it. Martin doesn't use a genre as a limitation; there's no requirement for an unlikely farm boy to go on whatever the fucking tired old stereotype is. Martin's works are as they are through an appreciation of the characters. The stories are felt. One dimensional is not part of his vocabulary. With that general Fantasy fallacy turned aside, all the best elements are endeared, and to top it off the damned books improve with each iteration (instead of the reverse with most major fantasy series).

So I don't fall into the realm of fanboyism *too* much, I'll stop here. But really, if there's one fantasy series to read, genuinely screw Tolkien and make it ASOIAF. Thankfully no one has to make that sort of decision, but if forced I'd do so without hesitation.

The WoT series should, in my view, be read extremely early on in people's fantasy reading. In other words, read LOTRs first as everyone seems to (and it's easy to understand and follow), then read WoT. The only reason I say that is that you might as well read a good "farmboy saves the world" story before you get tired of the cliche.

Contrary to what I've just said, I wouldn't recommend reading it until the series is finished. There are only two books left to come, so you're probably looking at 4 years at most until the final one comes out. If you started reading now, your thoughts would probably go like this (most people seem to feel like this):

First 6 books:

Wow, this is awesome! Farmboy saves the world maybe, but the best attempt at it yet!

Next 2 books:

Oh. Loss of form, but not so bad. Bit disappointing after the start.

9th book:

Slow, but really picks up at the end. He's back on form!

10th book:

What the fuck's this shit?

As I say, there are only 2 books left and they pretty much have to be action packed because we know certain things have to happen. So maybe the series will get an ending the beginning deserves.

Martin's books are really great. They very much resemble historical novels based on the likes of the War of the Roses, only with fantasy elements thrown in. However we've been waiting over 4 years since the last book in the series, and it really does looks unlikely that we'll see it this year, so don't try them yet if you want a series that'll finish anytime soon. Plus they're pretty complicated books, the gaps will leave people lost with the storylines unless they read them again just before the next is released.

The Dark Tower series is a great choice as the final book comes out in about a month's time. Very different series though to anything else I've read, in terms of fantasy anyway. Takes some pretty crazy directions, but has pulled almost all of them off.

I would never recommend this series to someone who hasn't read quite a bit of fantasy before (they'd be so lost), but Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen books are fantastic. I get incredibly frustrated with some of his inconsistencies (mostly timeline based, sadly not exclusively), but unless you look into the books and discuss them as deeply as I do, I doubt you'll notice them. It's truly epic in scope (covers everyone, from the average soldier to the gods) and while you may initially feel some characters are ridiculously overpowered, you soon come to see that they'd only be overpowered in other series, in these they have plenty of rivals of their level(s). Well written too, it's sad, action packed and even hilarious.

I've not actually finished the first book yet (maybe 30 pages to go), but if the rest of The Prince of Nothing (Scott Bakker) series is as good as the first book, we're in for something special. Seems to retain the best elements from these other series I've mentioned, dropping the annoying things and adding original elements I can't recall seeing before. It's only the first book though, there are numerous series I'd have recommended at that point before they went downhill.

There's Harry Potter too, it's great fun and shouldn't be ignored because of it's popularity or kiddy image.

I hope you like fantasy....

"The Warrior-Prophet" is as good as the "The Darkness That Comes Before", so I wouldn't worry about Bakker losing his form. Man, though, it's a DARK novel.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Good to hear, though it doesn't come out here until next March. I'll get it before then though, I'll pick it up when I'm in Canada.

Iceman

For Lucky Brand:

My serious fiction reading began with Michael Crichton (and Sphere is still my favorite of his books) but I have since been wooed by the magic of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Relic, their first book together, is simply awesome. The rest of their books in the Pendergast series (Reliquary, Cabinet of Curiosities, Still Life with Crows and Brimstone) are all worthy successors. Their other fiction books might even be better, especially Thunderhead and Riptide (despite the predicatble twist ending). Mount Dragon is forgettable but the Ice Limit is easily worth your time.

I say at the very least try The Relic and Thunderhead, two of the best books I've ever read.

White Man

Drinky,

Would I be able to find Publish and Perish in a bookstore, or will I have to order it online? I think today's going to be a book shopping day.

thomaser

I've read two fictions the last couple of weeks, and both were very, very nice:

- "Vernon God Little" by DBC (Dirty But Clean) Pierre

The critically-acclaimed (won the Man Booker-prize) story of a fifteen-year-old boy from Mauritio, Texas, who is best friends with a boy, Jesus, who suddenly one day shoots and kills sixteen classmates. Bad enough in its own right, but then things escalate, money- and publicity-hungry journalists start to dig, and poor Vernon gets all the blame. Vernon himself is a great character... he's not very likeable, but you'll love him anyway, much because of his way of telling the story... his language is completely broken and riddled with swearing, but it's also wonderfully charming and naive. The people around him are the worst kinds of dumb, backstabbing, fat, hypocritical, pedophile superegos you'll ever see. But you'll probably like many of them, too. The story, without giving much away, is highly dramatic and fast-paced, and the final parts are almost too much... I read most of the book in a single day, and it's almost 400 pages long.

- "Shadow Of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Another bestseller (increcibly popular in Spain and Germany), and another boy with a story. The boy, Daniel Sempere, gets to go with his father, a bookseller, to a secret "book graveyard" in Barcelona, and choose just one book that he must always protect and keep alive. He chooses "Shadow Of The Wind" by one Julián Carax, a very mysterious writer, and subsequently gets into ALL kinds of trouble :) Beautiful women, sadistic police, crossdressers, asylums for the insane, a ghost-house with a terrible past, a phantom-like man with no face, and tons of other characters create a convoluted and exciting plot around the hunt for the writer of the book. Another page-turner... here, too, the final 150 pages or so go by in a flash! The main character is perhaps a little uninteresting, but everyone else is most assuredly not. I've seen this book described as Umberto Eco light, and that fits pretty comfortably. It's a kind of detective-story combined with a blend of real history, literary history and pure fiction, with sprinklings of horror and romance in between. A very fun read!

White Man

- "Shadow Of The Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Another bestseller (increcibly popular in Spain and Germany), and another boy with a story. The boy, Daniel Sempere, gets to go with his father, a bookseller, to a secret "book graveyard" in Barcelona, and choose just one book that he must always protect and keep alive. He chooses "Shadow Of The Wind" by one Julián Carax, a very mysterious writer, and subsequently gets into ALL kinds of trouble Beautiful women, sadistic police, crossdressers, asylums for the insane, a ghost-house with a terrible past, a phantom-like man with no face, and tons of other characters create a convoluted and exciting plot around the hunt for the writer of the book. Another page-turner... here, too, the final 150 pages or so go by in a flash! The main character is perhaps a little uninteresting, but everyone else is most assuredly not. I've seen this book described as Umberto Eco light, and that fits pretty comfortably. It's a kind of detective-story combined with a blend of real history, literary history and pure fiction, with sprinklings of horror and romance in between. A very fun read!

*adds to list*

White Man

I'm sad. Shadow of the Wind isn't out in paperback, and I couldn't find the book that Drinky recommended.

Gimme more recommendations. I kind of want something horror-y or Lovecraftian.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"The Warrior-Prophet" is as good as the "The Darkness That Comes Before", so I wouldn't worry about Bakker losing his form. Man, though, it's a DARK novel.

Btw, I just finished Darkness, and felt it was intriguing if at times horribly dull and lifeless. This was mostly relegated to the first half, though, and while some 300 pages of slow buildup may not seem that significant an impasse for what will likely end up a 1500-2000+ page epic, I was still occasionally disregarding mild urges to drop the novel until ______ returned in the second half. At that point I was mostly gripped by the sheer cleverness of the character (and The Warrior accompanying).

I don't know if I can recommend the series just yet; I'll have to read book 2 to come to that conclusion. Still, it's fresh enough to warrant some attention.

Jim Bowie

If you like sci-fi and/or mystery books, check out the Robot series by Isaac Asimov, starting with The Caves of Steel. Asimov has got me to start reading again.

Also, if you're feeling angsty and/or anti-everybody, give any book by Chuck Palahniuk a try. I liked Choke a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom